Coolmanjack

How do I deal with Russian mediums?

I just got my first tier 10 the t110e5 and I keep encountering good players playing tier 10 Russian mediums,  I have no Idea how to deal with them as they just have OP turret armor, instant aim time, and spam gold everywhere.  How would a unicum deal with a situation like this?

If head to head: 1. Try to get hull down and hit weak spots, preferably the hull as that's usually the weakest part, going for cupolas next then the turret roof lastly (if you're facing a 140 or 430).  All while making sure to jiggle back and forth back and forth trying to make it hard to hit YOUR cupola as gold will go right through it.  2.  Try to force them into a corner and press them there..... 3.  Back the fuck off.

Side: Try to keep them tracked and shoot in the side the whole time while staying protected.

What you should try to aim for: Fighting them at range.  The E5 is supposed to fight at mid range, not close knife fighting like the RU meds.  Put the tank in its element, and it will perform

Pretty much what Shifty said: fight them on your terms, not on theirs. Use terrain. Use distance, because an E5 using terrain at mid range is near-impossible to reliably pen. Decline the engagement if it is on their terms: don't get into a DPM war with them, don't get into a fight in the open vs a hull-down 62A, don't let them camo snipe you. If all else fails, go stomp their pubbies since pubbies can't deal with an E5 very well. 

I'm just putting this out there:

E5 player calling russian medium armour OP

That said, every RU med that isn't the 62a doesn't have armour worth shit if you didn't rig your T22 already \:doge:/

The E5 is a way better platform in generally most situations due to the blatantly OP frontal armour combined with that kind of gun/depression. If you're having trouble facing the only tanks that are actually tougher than you when they're hulldown? Tough luck. That's a disadvantage you're gonna have to take. If you try to dig them out you'll see what it'll do and why you should've done something else since your tank is literally better at every situation that isn't mid-long range sniping duels/DPM fights. 

If you keep running into mediums I'd say your playing your E5 since you wanna outplay the enemy heavies and not their meds because you're a pocket ace in slower engagements while you're mostly a saggy wannabe M48 that can't keep up when the meds are starting to push through/losing. 

Your goldround literally has more pen than theirs and frankly E5 goldspam is more common than 62a due to the AP round of the E5 sucking and that'll punch through any turret that isn't the IS-7 if you aim right. Even the 62a can be penned (turret face) now after HD and the 140 has almost always had armour worth shit. Don't fight them on their terms, if you do then you're a pubbie. Like, why would you even try to engage a tank in its absolutely strongest habitat when you could just farm something else instead?

Try these because these are common:

• Keep goddamn moving, you need to relocate to make sure you don't get overrun while at the same time not missing out. You do this by quickly reading the minimap and determing where the current tanks are and where you can farm damage out of them (Preferably the most damage, but that kind of read is an art in itself and almost everyone that isn't at very top keep screwing this up.). Go there. Problem solved. This is also how2farmearlydamagelikeapro

• Front at stuff, you don't give away HP. Ever. Drive side out and lose half your HP? 100% your fault and it's a stupid move people really should stop doing. You don't poke unless you are sure that you will either A) not get fired at or B) they have such shitty shots at me that I can actually peek and they'll bounce. In the E5 this is very easy because bouncing means that you have your entire front showing but they still can't do jack shit. 

• Fighting in the right environments: Most people play their tank in the respective lane they think it is most useful. The E5 can play everywhere and is decent at everything which means that you can in theory go anywhere and never be useless. What can and most likely will happen if you keep going for the easy damage is that your team is going to steal it. Hard. Meds laugh at your DPM and you're stuck there having done all the work with close to nothing to show for it. What the E5 can do the absolute best and where you should use it is to break chokes. You have all the means necessary to fucking solo the entire team with the right positioning. This tank is very good at using the mobility/gun/dep/armour combo to keep shooting while not taking damage back. It was great at this even before the buff which is why some people preferred it to the E 50M. Pick slower engagements that you can personally break and that your mediums can't steal. They'll net you insane amounts of damage once you pick it up.

• First to get spotted is first to get artied. Your tank is great at frontlines but arty frankly doesn't care. Stay relevant but not in focus. 

This is coming from someone who got more hardcapped in the E5 by the team stomping the other rather than actually dying from his earlier E5 games. 

Another note for brawling with rumeds, their ammo rack is frontally located on the lower, right side (their right) of the hull. If given the chance, I try to put shots in there. Every little bit can help.

Edit: Their right, for clarity.

Unless you are deliberately giving them easy shots into your cupola with heat or your side aka allow them to circle... you should never have problems with the current iteration of the E5.

Get your resident artillery piece to splash them, killing their tracks, ammo rack, driver, and gunner? :P

Other than that, I suppose find corners to out trade them.

Left lower glacis is usually fuel tank, right side usually ammo rack (though a good RU med driver will never expose his hull).

And for lolz:

Describes me perfectly when I'm playing my Object 907.

As a person who now primarily only plays Soviet Mediums in pub matches, I know what situations will ultimately lead to my downfall in a match; 

• Try to keep a Soviet medium tracked, especially if they are climbing some sort of hilly terrain to get to you. Russian mediums (even with full repairs on all crew members) have fairly irritating track repair times. If you keep them tracked then that disables their ability to try and outflank your tank given that the T110E5 has garbage side and rear armor 
  • Try to isolate a Soviet Medium tank with 1 or 2 friendly tanks if they are traveling alone, Soviet Mediums don't last long on their own when you isolate them specifically because they simply don't have the alpha.
  • Try to aim for the ammo rack. Even with safe stowage, the ammo rack on most soviet medium tanks can be a huge issue. On 140/62A/430 the ammorack is primarily located towards the frontal right side of the hull (from their perspective). The 907 is pretty much an ammorack with tracks on it and not a whole lot is know about the T-22 yet. 
  • Try to avoid a hull down Soviet Medium if you can. The turret on the 140 and 430 can be easily penetrated with well placed shots, but absolutely avoid a hull down 62A, even with well placed shots you probably won't go through it's armor.
  • If you are absolutely forced to brawl it out with a Soviet Medium, keep wobbling your tank and turret back and fourth, side to side while you are reloading making it harder for your opponent to hit your copula. 

Granted I haven't played a whole lot with Russian Mediums yet (Only about 500-700 battles summed up), but these are the scenarios that I generally avoid. 

1 minute ago, Toasty_Kun said:

Russian mediums (even with full repairs on all crew members) have fairly irritating track repair times.

Soviet Mediums don't last long on their own

what

Pretty much well played RU meds suck to deal with, brawl them favorably or out skill them. Weak hull armor on the 62 makes it nicer to brawl against. Abuse their weak gun depression if possible.

To be honest you don't, well played Russian meds mainly trump everything.

You kind of hope they make mistakes, or you play them at your strongest points, usually using depression advantages which is basically their only weakness.  They are basically good at everything else, which means they will do well almost everywhere. 

Of course E5 is very strong almost everywhere as well, but is much much slower so gets fcked by arty and HEAT spam will melt your HP away pretty quickly. 

Spam HEAT at them, because they will at you, keep it at medium ranges, be hull down, preferably forcing them to work ridges they can't.

Also go kill the rest of their team. 

It would be interesting to see the tier 10 meta if the RU meds got taken down a peg or two, especially as the E5 is likely to get nerfed soon as well. 

I like this thread, good info.  I suck at the E5.  I also have the M48, E3 and E4 and all of them are better than the E5 in my hands.  Everything people say in this thread makes sense but in game I fuck it up.  It sure doesn't feel like the armor in the E5 is OP to me as I get wrecked in games.

I must be doing something drastically stupid.  In a few days I will have some days off, I'll play my E5 and most likely fail spectacularly but I'll load the replays so you purps can tell me why my brain is broken.

1 hour ago, boom_town said:

I like this thread, good info.  I suck at the E5.  I also have the M48, E3 and E4 and all of them are better than the E5 in my hands.  Everything people say in this thread makes sense but in game I fuck it up.  It sure doesn't feel like the armor in the E5 is OP to me as I get wrecked in games.

I must be doing something drastically stupid.  In a few days I will have some days off, I'll play my E5 and most likely fail spectacularly but I'll load the replays so you purps can tell me why my brain is broken.

If you need samples I could play it

6 minutes ago, Kolni said:

If you need samples I could play it

If you play it, I will definitely watch it!   I am semi decent at hill humping, so city maps if I could make a request as that is where I seem to go full retard.

I could use all the help I can get, so if you got the time...I will try to learn.

EZ get position where they can't rush you and use average damage to beat them.....OUTSKILLEDDDD EZ game EZ life

Unless the RU med is hull down it has lol bad armor (atleast 140 and T62), just put the shells in the (for you) left side of their hull, it has a fuel tank their (and its very weak).

Simply avoid long range camo fights or situations where they can hull down and you cant, and it should be fine