Last december i got a Seasonic M12II-750 BRONZE PSU to replace a 650w corsair that blew it's caps after 4 years, today that seasonic also blew it's caps. Maybe i got unlucky a faulty PSU, but i can also assume it's problems with power quality on the mains, the power grid is absolutely terrible were i live, so it got me thinking about getting an UPS.

I don't know much about them but from what i've found, that seasonic model is not compatible with UPS that use a simulated sine wave and needs one that supplies true sine wave for battery power, which so far leaves me with some very expensive choices from APC, like this or this

So i'm looking for advice from anyone that knows about more ups models and capabilities, mind you that i live in brazil.

My system:
i5 4690K
Asus Z97-Pro
16GB 1600hz ram
GTX680
SSD and 2 HDD
Seasonic M12II-750W Bronze (now ded)

1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

I ve seen several discussions about UPS on http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/. Personally I don't know much about them, as the german power grid is pretty decent compared to the US or south america and there is no need to mess around with those units for regular users.

I assume you just plug the PSU in the power mains? I've been doing that for the last 6-7 years, but our power grid, in the part of the city where i live in particular, is really bad. Any rain or wind, lights flicker a few times and go out at least once and sometimes you hear the PSU whining from some kind of interference, even the power lines outside make noise.

1 hour ago, Shackram said:

I assume you just plug the PSU in the power mains? I've been doing that for the last 6-7 years, but our power grid, in the part of the city where i live in particular, is really bad. Any rain or wind, lights flicker a few times and go out at least once and sometimes you hear the PSU whining from some kind of interference, even the power lines outside make noise.

There you ve the reason for your PSUs blowing up, even good ones like Seasonic.

3 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

There you ve the reason for your PSUs blowing up, even good ones like Seasonic.

Pretty much. At least the good PSU won't take the rest of your computer with it when it dies.

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Personally, I wouldn't run any computer without a surge protector/backup at all.

A bad UPS will also cause problems with high end PSU, which is why i don't have one yet, but might as well look for a good surge protector if i don't find a suitable ups.

The problem i've read about is that the seasonic PSU shuts off on baterry power with a simulated sine wave, which kinda defeats the point of having battery backup. I suppose it would still do the surge protection part of it, but shut down anyway on a power outage.

I use the 1000VA model of Cyberpower UPS. These are the best ones I was able to find. Much better than anything put out by APC.

Also, these models work with Active PFC sine wave stuff that newer PSUs started using. That is why the cost is a bit more. It stops the PSU from dying faster.

Pretty much can't find Cyberpower stuff on brazil, plus they don't seem to have stuff compatible with our power/outlet standards either.

The few ones i found are independently imported and end up more expensive than the APC ones with pure sinewave, while not being of the sinewave line.

If you're in the third world a UPS is a must have. I suspect my last PSU got friend due to a lack of one. 

I'm running with an APC 1100N. It's a pretty barebones unit but it does the job. While those fancy ones look nice they're super expensive.

Definitely don't skimp and buy a cheap one though. 

Shackram,

This article should help lay the groundwork for anything you are looking at. Remember the trick is to calculate your systems peak power requirements and purchase your unit accordingly. One thing I can contribute to this is that I have the older (2013 purchased off white color) APC back-ups pro 1000, and with it's line conditioning I have not had any issues with components.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/10-things-to-seek-in-an-uninterruptible-power-supply-surge-protection-device/ 

and here is some more dope from the omnipotent...but sometimes misinformed wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

Respectfully

Cloud_1

6 hours ago, OOPMan said:

If you're in the third world a UPS is a must have. I suspect my last PSU got friend due to a lack of one. 

I'm running with an APC 1100N. It's a pretty barebones unit but it does the job. While those fancy ones look nice they're super expensive.

Definitely don't skimp and buy a cheap one though. 

What PSU you use?

I found a brazilian brand that makes some pure sinewave UPS, should not be as expensive as the APC one, but having trouble finding those models for sale as they don't have an online store.

Buying electric stuff here is nightmare (thank you 3rd world country), if you can find something in Brazil tell us Shakram, maybe is easier to buy that same model/brand here. I've been looking for a PSU for a while and the only things i could find that weren't complete argentinian or chinese shit, were stupidly expensive server grade ones, and simply got tired of being disappointed.

On 19/02/2016 at 9:48 PM, Nkrlz said:

Buying electric stuff here is nightmare (thank you 3rd world country), if you can find something in Brazil tell us Shakram, maybe is easier to buy that same model/brand here. I've been looking for a PSU for a while and the only things i could find that weren't complete argentinian or chinese shit, were stupidly expensive server grade ones, and simply got tired of being disappointed.

Argentinian?

The brand is called Ragtech and the two sinewave models are named Senium and Easy Pro, tho' i've been busy the last few days and haven't searched any more.

3 hours ago, Shackram said:

Argentinian?

The brand is called Ragtech and the two sinewave models are named Senium and Easy Pro, tho' i've been busy the last few days and haven't searched any more.

Yeah, as in "from / made in Argentina".

Thank you, i'll look into them.

1 hour ago, Shackram said:

Meant to ask if you're from argentina, could have expressed myself better. :P

Yeah, that makes more sense actually. Yeah, i am.