Rexxie

Avoiding OP Tank Guilt

I have a weird aversion towards playing OP tanks. Farming too hard in the E-50? Better stop. Pulling past 4k dpg in the 111 14? It's the tank doing it, I cant pull that legitimately. Sold. Eating T9s with a Spersh? Well, thats not fair, lets leave it in the garage and play our Type 4. You get the idea.

Most people dont seem to have this issue; while some might roll their eyes at the idea of playing a 62a for an entire weekend, basically no one thinks its a good idea to avoid good tanks like the plague. Yet, I do. Sure, Ill still play them, but there's always that guilt that crops up before I hit battle. "Im taking the easy way out".

I think this has become a nasty habit. Its not only making my results worse, but my desire to cripple my performance has made a real impact on my actual skill. How do you justify playing op tanks? I feel like some apathy would do me wonders.

20 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

I have a weird aversion towards playing OP tanks. Farming too hard in the E-50? Better stop. Pulling past 4k dpg in the 111 14? It's the tank doing it, I cant pull that legitimately. Sold. Eating T9s with a Spersh? Well, thats not fair, lets leave it in the garage and play our Type 4. You get the idea.

Most people dont seem to have this issue; while some might roll their eyes at the idea of playing a 62a for an entire weekend, basically no one thinks its a good idea to avoid good tanks like the plague. Yet, I do. Sure, Ill still play them, but there's always that guilt that crops up before I hit battle. "Im taking the easy way out".

I think this has become a nasty habit. Its not only making my results worse, but my desire to cripple my performance has made a real impact on my actual skill. How do you justify playing op tanks? I feel like some apathy would do me wonders.

Rex.  You should be way past the stage where you tryhard and feel this need to prove yourself constantly by refraining from OP tanks.  That makes no more sense than avoiding platooning just because "it pads winrate".

Play whatever tanks you enjoy playing and ignore anybody that tries to say you aren't good.  You know you aren't dependent on OP tanks to succeed, and that's all that matters.  If using an OP tank just means you do a little more damage and win a little more often, well, that's why we're all here, right?

You know you're better than the vast, vast majority of people.  Don't get all twisted up in guilt about playing OP tanks.

Lolwut? If pwning noobs too hard in your favorite tanks is stopping you from playing those tanks, you might want to reconsider your point of view.

Uninstall XVM. Stop tracking your DPG. Just play and shoot baddies. Who cares if the tank is strong?

Cancerous tanks on the other hand, well, that's the shit that grinds my gears. RHM, all of arty, O-I come to mind. I doubt you play any of those though.

And at the end of the day, even if you did, no one really gives a crap, and you shouldn't either. Morals or ethics in video games are quite a silly thing (exceptions exist of course, mainly arty).

The only thing that ever stopped me from playing any particular "OP" tank was merely due to the fact that they will probably get boring very quickly... If you enjoy a tank, play it, regardless of its perceived strength. What matters is fun... not the tanks in your garage. Besides, if anyone is retarded enough to call you out as "padding" is either some yellow who padded his way to teal or an ignorant sanitary wipe, coincidentally those descriptions tend to fit the same person more often than not. Ultimately your stats will show that you can perform at high levels in almost every tank you play, so calling you out on "playing tank XYZ" is completely ignorant. Playing stronger tanks can also be beneficial in the way that they boost confidence, which can help when playing less fortunate tanks.

Just my worthless 52mil kanye dollars.

I'm in the same boat as you on this. Got the Maus first and then the IS-7. Objectively I play better in the IS, but I really want to rise up to the challenge the Maus is. On that same level it just feels insanely more satisfying to do well with tanks that people consider trash (like the SU-100M, the T-43) just because it is harder to do well in them. Partially also because I can never stop wondering how much of me doing well is simply due to the tank and how much is due to my use of it. Can't touch the T67 anymore because of that.

I guess it's the same reason why people do retarded challenges on super hard difficulties (like no death skyrim legendary, FotS legendary Tsu republic and so on). After a certain point doing well with the easy options just doesn't cut it anymore and you want to see how hard you can push the game. I think that's a totally fine way to approach games. 
At this point I have grown so used to this idea that going back to the regular way (find most OP method and use it congratulating myself on my skill) just doesn't cut it anymore. I know I won't be able to enjoy it just because I am always going to ask myself how much further I can push up the difficulty slider without getting rekt.
I think embracing OP guilt is the best way to deal with it.

To put it simple: If two cakes are on a tall shelf, one bottom shelf, one top shelf you can barely reach the top shelf cake is more satisfying because it is harder to get.

At least Rexxie you aren't some people who at 20k games played, 8-10k of them were in the pre Nerf hellcat and KV-1S.

That is the epitome of padding 'OP' tanks. Playing a tank should be fun, and they are there to be played. But at least you aren't delusional to see that it can be tank choice helping you too.

3 minutes ago, FreddBoy said:

At least Rexxie you aren't some people who at 20k games played, 8-10k of them were in the pre Nerf hellcat and KV-1S.

That is the epitome of padding 'OP' tanks. Playing a tank should be fun, and they are there to be played. But at least you aren't delusional to see that it can be tank choice helping you too.

Don't forget the T67, or T49 as it used to be called. Greens who try to pad in that thing make me scoff.

I personally find than when I have an "OP" or strong tank that I like, I tend to try and get one of the top DPGs in it or 3 mark it when completely negates any feelings I would have that I am just stat padding or something as I have a specific goal

and after playing 100 games in a churchill gun carrier voluntarily, I don't think anyone could call me an OP tank playing statpadder seriously :unicum:

2 minutes ago, KruggWolfyWoof said:

Don't forget the T67, or T49 as it used to be called. Greens who try to pad in that thing make me scoff.

Or the fucker with 5k+ games in the T-127.

When grinding the new Brit tanks ages ago, ran into a guy with (I shit you not) 40k games in one.

Had pretty much the same feelings before I stopped playing regularly, I think it's a good mindset to keep playing a variety of tanks though, and have fun without fapping to numbers. Being good at all tanks gives more satisfaction than farming the hell out of whatever tank...

2 hours ago, PityFool said:

The only thing that ever stopped me from playing any particular "OP" tank was merely due to the fact that they will probably get boring very quickly... If you enjoy a tank, play it, regardless of its perceived strength. What matters is fun... not the tanks in your garage. Besides, if anyone is retarded enough to call you out as "padding" is either some yellow who padded his way to teal or an ignorant sanitary wipe, coincidentally those descriptions tend to fit the same person more often than not. Ultimately your stats will show that you can perform at high levels in almost every tank you play, so calling you out on "playing tank XYZ" is completely ignorant. Playing stronger tanks can also be beneficial in the way that they boost confidence, which can help when playing less fortunate tanks.

TFW yellows call you out for "padding" while they suck major dick in the same tank that is supposedly to be "such gud padderino tenkerino", always makes me laugh. I play for myself not for anybody else so I don't really care that much.

3 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Rex.  You should be way past the stage where you tryhard and feel this need to prove yourself constantly by refraining from OP tanks.  That makes no more sense than avoiding platooning just because "it pads winrate".

Play whatever tanks you enjoy playing and ignore anybody that tries to say you aren't good.  You know you aren't dependent on OP tanks to succeed, and that's all that matters.  If using an OP tank just means you do a little more damage and win a little more often, well, that's why we're all here, right?

You know you're better than the vast, vast majority of people.  Don't get all twisted up in guilt about playing OP tanks.

Rex... this. So much this.

You've nothing more to prove, you can do anything you like.

3 hours ago, PityFool said:

Pityfool with the dank doesn't play tanks anymore advice.

also fucking lol@kayne west joke

12 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

also fucking lol@kayne west joke

I made a thread on the AW forums asking Serb to fix RNG and MM in WoT... He hasn't responded plshalp.

There's no reason to feel guilty for playing an OP tank. Like, dude, you've got the 7th best DPG in the WZ11114 on the NA server. If you kick ass in that tank it's not like the tank being OP makes any difference.

I'm #1 in DPG in the A-43. Do you think I care that it's a massively OP sealclubby WN8-padding tank? Nah. It's fun, and I'm good in it. Those are the only two criterion that matter to me.

Heck, if you rocked a top-10 DPG in a tier 2 I wouldn't disrespect that. I mean, I'd want to see what else you could play, but there's no shame in playing any tank well... Besides arty.

5 hours ago, Rexxie said:

Maybe you should lay off drinking all that Flint river water -- it's clouding your thinking!  ;)

...and what tanks do you consider OP? (as a infrequent scrub player, I need some of dat!)