Sign in to follow this  
Tinpotgeneraltoo

Tank Contribution to Career WN8

Hi, I'm curious if there's anyway (or if someone has already done this) to tell the WN8 contribution of the individual tanks in a players account. I have friends who are great players but have played thousands of games in light tanks with low expected values like the AMX ELC. If I look at their other tanks their values are not so stellar. Is there some way of knowing the contribution of each tank to their overall WN8?

Cheers in advance humans.

I think he's looking for a breakdown of how much WN8 each individual tank is contributing to overall WN8. Like, something that'd say "the AMX ELC is contributing 95 of this account's 2093 total WN8".

It seems like something that'd be doable, even if a bit inaccurately.

3 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

I think he's looking for a breakdown of how much WN8 each individual tank is contributing to overall WN8. Like, something that'd say "the AMX ELC is contributing 95 of this account's 2093 total WN8".

It seems like something that'd be doable, even if a bit inaccurately.

It's not really a valid concept given how WN8 works. The closest meaningful measure I can think of would be to calculate the WN8 of the account minus that tank.

You can approximate this using the calculation (accwn8*accbat - tankwn8*tankbat) / (accbat - tankbat). However, account WN8 isn't a linear combination of tanks, so this calculation can be some way off. Lower tier tanks and scouts tend to increase account WN8 more slowly than you'd expect from their per-tank WN8.

2 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

It's not really a valid concept given how WN8 works. The closest meaningful measure I can think of would be to calculate the WN8 of the account minus that tank.

You can approximate this using the calculation (accwn8*accbat - tankwn8*tankbat) / (accbat - tankbat). However, account WN8 isn't a linear combination of tanks, so this calculation can be some way off. Lower tier tanks and scouts tend to increase account WN8 more slowly than you'd expect from their per-tank WN8.

I'm not sure why you say not valid, surely over an account each tank played has a contribution to overall WN8? so how much does each tank played contribute to that value. Scouts seems to increase WN8 dramatically due to low expected values, but low tier tanks (below 5 anyway) seem to have the opposite effect, seems much easier to get good WN8 in tier 5 + tanks, not sure why though. You probably do?

30 minutes ago, Tinpotgeneraltoo said:

I'm not sure why you say not valid, surely over an account each tank played has a contribution to overall WN8? so how much does each tank played contribute to that value. Scouts seems to increase WN8 dramatically due to low expected values, but low tier tanks (below 5 anyway) seem to have the opposite effect, seems much easier to get good WN8 in tier 5 + tanks, not sure why though. You probably do?

wn8 ≠ straight line

9 hours ago, Tinpotgeneraltoo said:

I'm not sure why you say not valid, surely over an account each tank played has a contribution to overall WN8?

It's a definition issue. As long as you don't mind "contributions" being both positive and negative, and adding up to zero rather than the overall WN8, then it's workable.

9 hours ago, Tinpotgeneraltoo said:

Scouts seems to increase WN8 dramatically due to low expected values, but low tier tanks (below 5 anyway) seem to have the opposite effect, seems much easier to get good WN8 in tier 5 + tanks, not sure why though. You probably do?

It's typically very easy to get high per-tank WN8 in tier 4 tanks, assuming similar crews. Tiers 1-3 can be more difficult because of the newbie MM, although it's not clear whether it's operational on NA.

The effect on overall WN8 is not proportional to the per-tank WN8 values, however. It's possible for a low tier tank or scout to have a negative effect on overall WN8 despite a much better tank WN8.