Jump to content
BattleMetalChris

40k and other GW games

Recommended Posts

Yeah? If you haven't already done something with it in return do you want some beer mailed to you or actual money or...?

On an unrelated note, Hexwraiths! Unfortunately the lighting for this photo isn't as good as it could be, which means the darker colours don't really stand out (like the fire, which doesn't have such a stark contrast as it appears here), but otherwise it looks alright:

K4ygHrd.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2016 at 9:23 AM, Storm said:

Unfortunately the lighting for this photo isn't as good as it could be

Photoshop is your friend:

 

spookyscaryskellingtons.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is interested the new (old?) monthly reboot of white dwarf has a neat/heretical slaughterpriest bundled with it, which I reckon is alright, especially given the (probably almost egregious) RRP of the the model in question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the issue today! It's pretty good - at 148 pages it's a sizeable tome, and actually half the price of the previous iteration if you consider it's moved from weekly to monthly.

 

Also - free mini! A 'SlaughterPriest' from AoS. He's a sizeable chap, we're talking true-scale Space Marine size. Add a bolt-pistol and he's be a fantastic Khorne Berzerker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

ehPcu5f.jpg

 

Plastic mk3 marines, Tartaros Terminator armour and Custodes in the next Heresy box, I am excited. :kitty: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, really excited about the new Genestealer cult codex. As well as special 'mining colony' themed weapons, we get a new vehicle and it looks like the option to use looted IG equipment.

GScult-cover-final.jpg

acolyte-hybrids-back.jpg

neophyte-hybrids-back.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is nice that the 'nids got some buddies, I suppose when you eat everything that moves you don't get much time to make friends.

And holy shit, the burning of prospero, what a time to be broke as fuck; will sell soul and/or extra organs for cold, hard, plastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/10/2016 at 0:26 PM, Storm said:

And holy shit, the burning of prospero, what a time to be broke as fuck

Christmas soon. Time to force bemused relatives to venture into their local hobby shops and ask for ridiculous things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most stupid-looking models GW has ever produced. 

 

"Ah, victory. Time to balance my foot precariously on this skull. Ugh.. it's a bit high... can someone give me a hand...? ugh.. nearly there.... ah! Now take the picture before I fall over."

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2016 at 6:13 PM, Storm said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

veryidian.jpg

 

:kitty:

 

I still see some prime skull real estate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2016 at 11:42 PM, BattleMetalChris said:

"Ah, victory. Time to balance my foot precariously on this skull. Ugh.. it's a bit high... can someone give me a hand...? ugh.. nearly there.... ah! Now take the picture before I fall over."

Well, John Blanche was not exactly known for photo-realism:

a7wz4UZ.png

I have mixed feelings on the model, I quite like the artwork, and the effort that went into making the model as close as possible to the art, and I think they did a 5/7 job on that front, but by making it so close, the model looks a bit odd, which though I can't quite place on any one aspect, I would hazard is just what happens when you try to make a 3d thing out of a 2d thing.

In other news, plastic Sisters of Battle (among others) are soon to be a thing:

Saint Celestine and her honour guard:

gathstorm-1.jpg

Belisarius Cawl (a "carnifex-sized tech priest, if GW is to be believed):

gathstorm-2.jpg

Inquisitor Greyfax:

gathstorm-3.jpg

 

Edited by Storm
Updated the photos
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 2:42 PM, BattleMetalChris said:

One of the most stupid-looking models GW has ever produced. 

 

"Ah, victory. Time to balance my foot precariously on this skull. Ugh.. it's a bit high... can someone give me a hand...? ugh.. nearly there.... ah! Now take the picture before I fall over."

Not to mention that the skull itself is on top of some carefully stacked bones, meaning that she had to take the time to pile them up because the enemies so rude as to not die in a convenient heap. Also lolling at the Mk4 Power High Heels.

John Blanche is my favourite WH-related artist, but I think his style is a bit too crazy to be so directly translated into a mini.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, megaflex4000 said:

Not to mention that the skull itself is on top of some carefully stacked bones, meaning that she had to take the time to pile them up because the enemies so rude as to not die in a convenient heap.

if the background is anything to go by I think they're actually all standing on what is not a hill, but a giant pile of bones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, megaflex4000 said:

Not to mention that the skull itself is on top of some carefully stacked bones, meaning that she had to take the time to pile them up because the enemies so rude as to not die in a convenient heap. Also lolling at the Mk4 Power High Heels.

John Blanche is my favourite WH-related artist, but I think his style is a bit too crazy to be so directly translated into a mini.

The artwork works because of her proportions - to get that into a 28mm mini they've had to make her legs twice as thick and it just looks really awkward. Just using a bit of artistic licence to have her leg not quite as high would have made it look better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Storm said:

if the background is anything to go by I think they're actually all standing on what is not a hill, but a giant pile of bones.

True, but it doesn't come across like that in the mini. Maybe it would work in a big diorama, but when you pick out one element like that it ends up looking silly.

This is how you properly turn Blanche's batshit insane art into minis: https://www.pinterest.com/plxfaktory/john-blanche/

a8d76e88a48cedf2a4744aaeb18480ea.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, megaflex4000 said:

True, but it doesn't come across like that in the mini. Maybe it would work in a big diorama, but when you pick out one element like that it ends up looking silly.

I guess if you're trying to make it as close a representation as possible, it's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, since you need the skulls as that's what she is standing on, but then it would be almost impossible to do correctly without having an impossible to sell diorama bundled with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Storm said:

I guess if you're trying to make it as close a representation as possible, it's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, since you need the skulls as that's what she is standing on, but then it would be almost impossible to do correctly without having an impossible to sell diorama bundled with it.

Which is why a close as possible representation is often a bad idea. Things that work in one form of media don't necessarily work in another so when doing an adaptation you have to, well, adapt.

I think turning old artwork into minis is a neat idea, but that SoB is a prime example of how not to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first foray into vehicles (I'm a tyranid player so I only ever paint monsters)

 

The front plate is the only area that's 'done' so far but I think I'm getting the hang of weathering. I attacked it with a spanner to get all the dents :D

 

3fdFwAV.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...