Sgtturret17

Do mods help with calling?

So I have been learning to call for the past few months, mostly SH, with a few tourneys and a few matches during the campaign. The few games I called during the campaign highlighted that I often err by pushing too early, or not early enough.  The matter of practice and experience aside, a few callers I talk with have mentioned that they have mods that show additional info such as team HP, and showing tank HP on the minimap; and that these can be helpful in larger formats such as 15v15 for deciding when to push.  However, I have always run either vanilla or with just XVM, and I am somewhat reluctant to clutter up my screen with more UI mods.

So, my questions are- 1. How much do mods help with the situational awareness needed for calling, and 2. Which mods are beneficial for this?

All you need to do is to get out from sniper view, look around, do quick math and decide what to do next. Mods are redundant for this.

19 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

All you need to do is to get out from sniper view, look around, do quick math and decide what to do next. Mods are redundant for this.

tbh it's sometimes quicker to have a convenient mod which tells you the HP of each tank/entire team at a glance. Unless you have zoom-out mod you're gonna lose a bit of time looking around, and in a middle of a firefight (unless you died) you'll have difficulty juggling your own tank and your team.

IDK though, it's how I manage calling tier 6/8 where things are a little more hectic than 10.

I use a mod which is part of Aslains which shows the health of each tank as a circle on the mini map. Full Circle = Full Health etc. Easy to see who (on your team) is full health with a quick glance to the map. The "Team HP" mod at the top of the screen is helpful in Skirmishes but I don't think it works in CW, certainly doesn't at the start (when you don't know what the other team has bought).

Not sure if that's what you are after, and I'm only a tomato caller but hope this helps.

Two mods, total HP (works in CW late game, has come in handy) and zoom out. With RNG the way it can be some nights, knowing that I have x amount more HP than the enemy team in a local spot is pretty pointless. If you can do math in your head pretty well, you should be fine. Zooming out just lets me look at enemy tanks, my tanks and get a better view of what's going on. As well as telling people where someone is aiming once I suicide die. Not that great of a caller, but that's what I would have to say.

Tanks spotted can come in handy in formats where there isn't fog of war, so you can expect for example unspotted LTs to bum rush you or one pesky TD behind waiting for you to push into him.