Coolmanjack

How to play middle road on lakeville.

Question

So I was watching quickybaby play on lakeville and he said that from the south in a scout tank you should go to the second bush forward.  But every time I go to the second bush I get spotted and die instantly,  and im in an amx 13 90 with a camo crew.   

What annoys me is im seemingly doing the exact same thing as successful scouts do and driving right from the start of the match straight to that location and getting optimal cover behind the bush,  but for some reason I am just not successful.  Any insights?

14 answers to this question

When doing that you need to be positioned very well in the bush, so people on the middle road from the other side cannot light you, and also the people you are trying to light cannot see any of you. Also you might want to turn once you get there so you can run without having to turn if they have tanks yoloing down the middle.

In the 54 lightweight:  

HdMYrro.jpg     

In the 13 90:   rDPZnAZ.jpg

4xqIWT8.jpg

I still wonder why people think the middle on this map is potent. 

Short of someone lighting the south crossing there isn't exactly much usefulness being in the middle at all. You run the risk of getting blindfired or even instarekt because EVERYONE knows where you are if you managed to light them.

I always hated Lakeville because I thought middle rekt the city which implied it was the only viable play, but wow that shit is the epitome of inconsistency. Damage runs out fast and you're stuck with opportunistic shots into gaps you can't force without the enemy exposinh themselves.

Go to the city in anything that can pen what you're facing. You are more in control and the middle sideshot angles are easy to deny, along with easy spots on them as soon as you pushed the city with no real way for them to get out. 

I always get pissed off seeing a 50B sniping from middle because it is so more useful in the city. Games are more consistent due to an actual fight, you're being more productive in terms of winning and that's really all you can ask of a pretty bad map to begin with.

The bushes are planted in the middle to work as camo but they are the only bushes there meaning people will know where you are.

Could you perhaps post some replays or screenshots so we can see where exactly you are positioning your tank? In my experience if you are positioned off by just a few meters it won't work properly.

2 hours ago, Kolni said:

I always get pissed off seeing a 50B sniping from middle because it is so more useful in the city. Games are more consistent due to an actual fight, you're being more productive in terms of winning and that's really all you can ask of a pretty bad map to begin with.

I've seen Anfield take his 50B to the middle for his first clip: getting free damage on people you will have to shoot later in the town is always nice.

I'm not great at this game but as of now (unless someone can make an argument to the contrary?) I'd take my 50B middle for the first clip, then relocate to the city once I get a clip off. That way I can get some early damage, and not be the first one spotted/shot at in the city: I can arrive when there are distracted tanks to shoot.

I do hate the map design though. In high tier games the north spawn is completely screwed if there is a competent scout on the south side. Same with Mountain Pass South spawn.

2 hours ago, FavreFan4ever said:

I've seen Anfield take his 50B to the middle for his first clip: getting free damage on people you will have to shoot later in the town is always nice.

I'm not great at this game but as of now (unless someone can make an argument to the contrary?) I'd take my 50B middle for the first clip, then relocate to the city once I get a clip off. That way I can get some early damage, and not be the first one spotted/shot at in the city: I can arrive when there are distracted tanks to shoot.

I do hate the map design though. In high tier games the north spawn is completely screwed if there is a competent scout on the south side. Same with Mountain Pass South spawn.

On North spawn sure, south spawn is a big nono tho. More than a single scout in the game means that one is in middle and the other one could either be valley or outskirts of city which means you're so fucking screwed. It's better to take the city right away and not risk the damage taken while still having the same possibilities of dealing damage. Why put yourself at risk for the same gain you can have somewhere else for no risk? 

North is still viable to the rock (not the middle one, the one more north) giving a straight firing line for crossers yet covering every angle except the one you're shooting at + a safe way out, but from south you actually have the better city (longer firing lines on the lower ground especially) so I still argue going there right away from south. 

ESL bush from south is still less useful than middle bush on the ledge from north. 

Isn't North spawn more vulnerable to fire from the middle because the south side has an easier time scouting?

I hate going middle on the North spawn because you are *** once lit. South spawn you at least have that hill to hide your LT behind. I tend to not play the middle on the North spawn, and would be cautious if spawning south.

But let's be real, Lakeville valley push = best_strat_NA

13 minutes ago, FavreFan4ever said:

Isn't North spawn more vulnerable to fire from the middle because the south side has an easier time scouting?

I hate going middle on the North spawn because you are *** once lit. South spawn you at least have that hill to hide your LT behind. I tend to not play the middle on the North spawn, and would be cautious if spawning south.

But let's be real, Lakeville valley push = best_strat_NA

South can only light tanks crossing close to the waters (about the length to the windmill) while north spots everything not redlining while they have no cover at all.

My personal solution would be to open up the valley a bit more and bring the middle down in height so there is natural ridges as hard cover, more bushes in the middle and making the lake smaller + a slightly bigger city = suddenly a decent map

Can I add my own question about lakeville?

Would it be a smart idea to push down mid with a heavily armored tank, like QB does in his ST-1 review?

Also, valley push from experience is actually quite viable if you are in a platoon with 2 heavily armored tanks. Just don't stop and everything (should) be ok

Just now, Serene_Potato said:

Can I add my own question about lakeville?

Would it be a smart idea to push down mid with a heavily armored tank, like QB does in his ST-1 review?

Also, valley push from experience is actually quite viable if you are in a platoon with 2 heavily armored tanks. Just don't stop and everything (should) be ok

Let me put it this way: 

Slow and big, trash gun handling, poor view range and an unreliable armour scheme? Of course QB will keep playing mid on Lakeville in it, blame his team and his stats/fame until it finally works, uploads that game and shitters think it's a viable strategy. 

A valley push is only viable if you know you'll lose the city (and thus the middle) and is actually better done with meds or anything with high pen and DPM to farm them coming back/rotating options.

Only go middle in a light tank if the enemy doesnt have mediums or lights that are likely to yolo mid, the bush that he told you to use is suicide in any tank bigger than a loltraktor

its better to be aggressive to the rock in the mid with a medium & scout instead, because youre not needing to worry about some shitter yoloing and spotting you

Mid on Lakeville is the definition of Feast or Famine. When it works, you wreck. When it doesn't, you have a VERY short battle. 

Mid with the Skoda T50 from south 

From the North

http://wotreplays.eu/site/2349673#teams

And for each one of these kind of battles, you'll have one where you derp out for less than 1k damage. I LOVE to play it aggressive in the mid with anything that has vision and speed, but wow is it inconsistent. 

If you insist on scouting it, @Hoolfool's post is great for positioning.

However, I agree with @Kolni in that you really shouldn't be going middle. Safe early shots/1 clip is generally fine -  anything longer than that and you're wasting your time (unless the enemy is literally sat in the open for you to farm, obviously).

If You have the south spawn on lakeville (This works best with more scouts in the game) it would be much better to use the right corner of G6/G7 bush this way you can even spot target till max C3/C4 while also locking down the whole middle road as any scout would be perma spotted and has to hide behind the big rock to even survive, this is a much safer counter play then playing the middle road E4 territory where  you could get outgunned lastly you can help city a lot quicker due to proxcimity.