Xen

"Quitting this game has been one of the three best decisions I've made in the past year" by /u/IStillLikeChieftain

I'm sharing this, because I can relate, and I think many others here can, too, and I think it is a great post. 

Original author: /u/IStillLikeChieftain
Original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanks/comments/48e9xc/quitting_this_game_has_been_one_of_the_three_best/

So towards the end of summer last year I was really unhappy with where my life was and even less happy with where it was going. I was frustrated, I was anxious, I was angry, I was fractious and arguing with my wife. It eventually lead to a panic attack and I started re-examining things.

I got some counseling and my counselor insisted I keep a mood log - a daily diary, updated several times a day (at first every 2 hours, later, as I became conscious of my moods, as they changed), and there were two clear trends:

1. My work - even the anticipation of work - was ruining my mood constantly.

2. My free time was split fairly evenly among cooking, working on my Polish, hanging out with the wife, reading, and playing this game. In one week, the week I decided to quit, I had about 15 entries listing something to the effect of "calm", "satisfied", "happy" - basically varying degrees of neutral to happy - for the first four. By contrast, I had almost twice as many - 28 - "stressed", "angry", "frustrated", "worked up", and one "I fucking hate artillery" - entries for World of Tanks. This despite WoT taking up "only" about 11 our of 40 free hours that week.

As my therapist and I explored my life, we came up with a plan for addressing the work issue, but the World of Tanks thing, it was becoming clear, was less about having fun than it was the addiction. The addiction of adrenaline, of competition, of anger, and that the subreddit and my clan were about the only positive interactions I had from it. But even this positive interaction was really coming at a cost of interacting with people I knew in daily life and of learning things - cooking and the history of Europe from 1648-1815 - that I actually enjoyed. I hadn't even realized that I'd been sitting on two classic books on Napoleon I'd spent almost $300 on for 6 months.

Now I know my issues are my own, so I'm not saying you're addicted or that the game is having a negative effect on your life. However, I also know from talking to clanmates and friends in the game that I'm hardly alone. Having stepped back for three months now, I went back on TeamSpeak and it was shocking to see how much of myself I recognized in my friends, but how a few of them privately started asking questions about quitting.

So I'm not saying you should quit. But if you sound a bit like I do, or perhaps you sound like Foch, or Circon on a particularly salty day, and you're not sure if you're having fun... there's probably a good chance you're actually not. I'm not going to get preachy here, so I'll explain in brief - basically it becomes a habit through repetition. It feels good early, and gives a sense of accomplishment even - especially - as frustration replaces the "feel good" part. By then the habit is formed and you come back for it, trying to master it like a skill. A book that sort of covers the neurobiology of this is Buddha's Brain, though that's more depression/anxiety related, it still explains how a psychological habit can form.

Anyway, hope I didn't come across as too preachy.

PS

Polish is hard to understand. Even harder to pronounce.

PPS

Polish wives are awesome.

PPPS

OK, she's gone. If you see a Polish girl, odds are she's hot, she dresses great, she fucks like a demon, and her cooking is amazing. Run, kurwa, run.

the road to unicum is the textbook definition of bittersweet. we work so hard to become good at the game that we end up killing the fun in the process. the first thousand games playing with your friends screwing around is great fun, but when you start to take the game more seriously all the flaws in yourself and your teammates become apparent. you start getting angry at the smallest things that you would have never noticed when you first started and you break friendships because of the skill gap and desire to become unicum. in the end my own desire to improve was what killed it for me.

great read, its unfortunate when players reach this point in their tanks career. 

Biggest issue people have with this game is simple: They take it too seriously. Ultimately, its just a game. When it reaches the point of it being a job or a source of angst, review why you play it in the first place. 

I haven't played this game in so many months, I'll get on to talk to friends, but that's about it. I don't miss this game. :(

17 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Biggest issue people have with this game is simple: They take it too seriously. Ultimately, its just a game. When it reaches the point of it being a job or a source of angst, review why you play it in the first place. 

On mobile, can you post the Zeven secret of wot life video for me?

I've played a lot of games . . . and I've quit a lot of games, I've never really felt the need to put into words for everyone to see why I am quitting and how happy I am that I quit.  Even games that I rage quit and stormed away from (online chess), I never felt the need for a retirement rant.  Maybe my inability to take it seriously enough to lose sleep over is why I'll never be anything but green.  I'm glad this cat is happy - but I suspect his next time sucking pastime is just around the corner.

I've rarely ever found a game fun if I wasn't naturally good at it. Tanks was different, the slow pace, use of armour and combining a shooter with driving made it interesting and the first game I bothered to learn. And here I am, not even touching the game unless I'm high anymore because depending on random people in a game is fucking frustrating since 99/100 are shit.

Mirror's Edge was basically the same, was decent at it, bothered to become great, but the frustration came from my flaws, something I could work on. Sadly there are only so many times you can plow through the same 10 maps in half an hour with close to optimal routes before it gets too repetitive.

Now I'm slowly transitioning into other games that focuses more on individual performance rather than the whole team thing (that never works without premade teams) where I can actually do something to perfect my play and to "win"

Dunno, i used to be a fairly big rager ( ``fairly big rager`` on the unicum scale of rage & hate, not the pub pleb scale, trololol)

But i simply stopped ``caring`` long ago, i now play tanks because i wanna drive around with tanks pew pew stuff. Think of how the reds play, except i hit what i aim at, i know where to aim, and im not camping besides arty, but doing something.

Key to not rage is:

1. Dont use xvm, period, seeing all the mongols makes you mad, what you dont know doesnt harm, seeing your team fail spectacular can also be entertaining + you can never underestimate the other team
  2. Dont play tier 10, tier 10 is rage inducting, retarded and fucking shit, everyone who plays almost exclusive tier 10 is getting mad sooner or later, coincidence? i dont think so, everything that makes wot retarded: arty, autoloaders, big TDs, shit maps, retard platoons, working as intended camo and viewranges is present on tier 10, its not ``the best tier`` its the tier with most shit. By avoiding tier 10, you already avoid most of the problems...
  3. Dont crop up ``rage`` go full retard in chat to vent it, and thats it, calling a dumb retard a dumb retard and flame him for the rest of the game is a good way to fix your mood, since you can see how truly moronic certain people are.

Most important is however, play 4 fun, Just crushing noobs with an O-I exp compensates a lot, yes its clubbing, yes its simple, but does that matter? Why should i play tier 10 to get whacked by arty or WTF-E100 morons, if i can also roll over them in any tank between tier 5 and 9? Why should i suffer against suicide bat chats when i can club the same idiots with my shiny SU-152 when they try to earn some credits in a tier 6 medium.

TL:DR: just play 4 fun and dont care too much

1 hour ago, Kolni said:

I've rarely ever found a game fun if I wasn't naturally good at it. Tanks was different, the slow pace, use of armour and combining a shooter with driving made it interesting and the first game I bothered to learn. And here I am, not even touching the game unless I'm high anymore because depending on random people in a game is fucking frustrating since 99/100 are shit.

Mirror's Edge was basically the same, was decent at it, bothered to become great, but the frustration came from my flaws, something I could work on. Sadly there are only so many times you can plow through the same 10 maps in half an hour with close to optimal routes before it gets too repetitive.

Now I'm slowly transitioning into other games that focuses more on individual performance rather than the whole team thing (that never works without premade teams) where I can actually do something to perfect my play and to "win"

If only you had a friendorino who played an RNG-free PvP game that relies heavily on individual performance and can set up a team for doubles or even triples when you git gud :doge: 

1 hour ago, Kolni said:

I found the repetitiveness of WoT exacerbated by WG's lack of influential content incured a strong sense of guilt that resulted in retirement.

It isn't fun winning against 45%'ers using the same methods and locations in a very limited map rotation. I think we can all admit that the general playerbase is abnormally inept in understanding the game compared to other communities.

To not be presented a sufficient challenge to overcome is to foster complacency becomes the last line of encouragement for playing the game. Complacent and mindless interaction can only entertain one for so long.

If I were to play this game in 2014, the only thing that would be different is the meta and selections of tanks. Rampage mode was my "Yes we can!" symbol for new beginnings but we can obviously see how hard that failed and why. Limiting tank selection and 9 entire tiers within a low population community was not a good idea.

Last month, I started reflecting back at the times when I did get the most out the game. I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I situated myself for almost 20k battles playing the exact same game for 4 years. Exactly the same game except I can't enjoy low tiers anymore due to that lack of challenges. The only thing impossibly difficult to counter now is steamrolls but by design, you just take a auto-loss and try again. 

I'm rambling at all points but as a sanguine persona not too bothered by arty, XVM, toxic community, and WG ineffectual content updates, I am disappointed that WG and the community couldn't absolve those matters as in my closing stages, those factors weighed heavily to make me regret playing WoT for that lomg.

As for quitting WoT, I have done so several times and typically for the same reasons. At some point, the BS just becomes too much to bear and a break is needed from the game until they do something new with it. Gold ammo is a mechanic that's beyond retarded in a PvP game and even more so in one that claims to be e-sports material, arty is hilariously dumb for many reasons that you all know and I already did a long post about how WG has failed to create a decent understanding of their game (first Popular Post :doge: ).

There is a pretty good PvP concept buried in there but it's just hidden under a giant pile of RNG, gold ammo, one shot kills from the sky and poor map design and mechanics explanation. Pubbies will always be dumb but the pubbies in WoT/AW are on a level where not even the dumbest from other genres can follow because we're talking about a lack of understanding even the most basic mechanics. If you were a scrub with slightly salty tendencies, why wouldn't you think that wins are tied to the MM when your Matilda is a destructive behemoth of Godzilla proportions vs tier 2-4 and completely useless against tier 5 and 6 to the point of getting one hit killed? That there isn't a decent effort to balance lower tiers and no tutorial to explain matchmaking and other things is just some sad shit in the long run.

4 hours ago, Xen said:

PS

Polish is hard to understand. Even harder to pronounce.

PPS

Polish wives are awesome.

PPPS

OK, she's gone. If you see a Polish girl, odds are she's hot, she dresses great, she fucks like a demon, and her cooking is amazing. Run, kurwa, run.

Meh, there are many ugly fat pigs in siemkaland too.

Haven't played wot in months. With wg doing nothing about arty and introducing gamebreaking tanks *cougho-icough* I can't give a single fuck about this game anymore.

That's why you just don't care about pubs if you want to have fun with the game. I only care for the off clanwars/stronghold raid fight and that's not very often, pub stats mean nothing. When I want to get my fix for competitive play ill go play counterstrike since ranked MM actually has me fighting people that are my level or better.

this thread is depressing and making me want to quit

2 hours ago, Zinn said:

If only you had a friendorino who played an RNG-free PvP game that relies heavily on individual performance and can set up a team for doubles or even triples when you git gud :doge: 

I'm downloading it when I come home :doge: 

Not sure when that is though :doge: 

Astrid wants to stay and my brain wants my PC but other regions want other things :serb: 

1 hour ago, Kolni said:

I'm downloading it when I come home :doge: 

Not sure when that is though :doge: 

Astrid wants to stay and my brain wants my PC but other regions want other things :serb: 

Maybe you should get it for Astrid too and show her the power of a triple (with cars.. Maybe :doge: ).

Or maybe buy a cheap ass laptop and go for it anyway when she isn't looking :surprisefish:

33 minutes ago, Zinn said:

Maybe you should get it for Astrid too and show her the power of a triple (with cars.. Maybe :doge: ).

Or maybe buy a cheap ass laptop and go for it anyway when she isn't looking :surprisefish:

I have my mac with me bruh, internet speed is like 0,001 mpbs even if you pay for it :feelsbad: Takes me over a minute to load a forum page without the pictures :feelsbad: 

7 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

1. Dont play tier 10, tier 10 is rage inducting, retarded and fucking shit, everyone who plays almost exclusive tier 10 is getting mad sooner or later, coincidence? i dont think so, everything that makes wot retarded: arty, autoloaders, big TDs, shit maps, retard platoons, working as intended camo and viewranges is present on tier 10, its not ``the best tier`` its the tier with most shit. By avoiding tier 10, you already avoid most of the problems...

I second this. Playing mostly T10 for the FV mission singlehandedly made me quit randoms.

Probably for the better though...