Sign in to follow this  
Vitellius9

MM 2.0

Battles aren't balanced by skill. They are primarily balanced by tier and then evened out via winrate.

The issues players are experiencing with MM 2.0 are due to bugs, not design. These will be ironed out more when we introduce our hotfix patch later this week.

Quoted from CM Spunky.  https://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?64245-Are-u-kidding-us-with-this-new-and-quot-improved-quot-MM/page7

UGH....

That statement can mean 1 of 2 things:

1. Battles aren't balanced by skill, they're balanced by winrate, so by extension Spunky is saying that winrate is not affected by skill and is purely random.
2. Winrate takes skill, and battles are balanced by a player's winrate, so the matchmaker is skill balanced and punishes good players.

Why can't Obsidian drop the pretense already and either admit they demand good players carry shit ones or drop any influence a player's stats has on the matchmaker?

48 minutes ago, breeeze said:

In WoT people cry because no skill MM

In AW people cry because skill MM

What now?

I don't think anyone has a problem with skill based MM if it's implemented correctly.  The problem with the MM in AW at the moment is that it punishes good players and rewards bad players.

If we had some kind of ELO or league system where MM put 30 players of similar skill levels against each other I imagine that most skilled players would enjoy it.   Tomatoes would also enjoy it because they wouldn't have to worry to much about being stomped by seal clubbers.

Being shoved into a team full of tomatoes because I have a 61% win rate and have applied myself to the game is horse shit.

2 hours ago, breeeze said:

What now?

If you filter out the bullshit/tinfoil-hat cries about MM.. I think their is one issue that both MMs share, and one that is only an issue in AW.

The issue that both MM have is the unbalanced distribution of tank classes and tiers. The other issue is this idiotic idea of AW to balance by skill/winrate.
Both can easily be fixed, by either changing the mechanics, or just completely removing it in case of the latter.

I see no point in playing AW if I get penalised for having a ~61% WR. The way the game is suffers enough of snowballing already, no need to improve this by stacking teams and punishing good players for being good.

42 minutes ago, Epic said:

If you filter out the bullshit/tinfoil-hat cries about MM.. I think their is one issue that both MMs share, and one that is only an issue in AW.

The issue that both MM have is the unbalanced distribution of tank classes and tiers. The other issue is this idiotic idea of AW to balance by skill/winrate.
Both can easily be fixed, by either changing the mechanics, or just completely removing it in case of the latter.

I see no point in playing AW if I get penalised for having a ~61% WR. The way the game is suffers enough of snowballing already, no need to improve this by stacking teams and punishing good players for being good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of skill MM either, but even in this forum there were many people throwing around skill MM in pretty much the same way that AW has it now for WoT.

I know several people that refuse to even touch AW because OHMAHGAWD SKILL MM but from my experience with 60% WR myself I feel like WoT punishes people much more for skill because shit like arty, XVM, higher RNG, etc. and I have yet to notice any sort of "punishment" in AW. If teams were actually constantly stacked against me I would never be able to maintain solo 60% WR, yet I can, so it's really not nearly as bad as some people make it look. I do understand it's a problem on NA, where you'll constantly run into the same people on the enemy team, but on EU it's not.

I don't even notice snowballing as much as in WoT, complete stomps are much less frequent than in WoT, where the game is regularly decided after 3 minutes.

15 hours ago, breeeze said:

What now?

I think the only players complaining for a skill based MM were always the same bad pubbies complaining that platoons/divisions are an unfair advantage.  

I do see as many or more stomps in AW, but it's probably due to my play time, which is always after primetime to 5am EST.  Then, it's pretty much due to matches being the same exact 20-30 players over and over.  

Alright boys, you can pack up. Quote from Spunky (OE Community Manager):

Just for the sake of transparency, with MM 2.0 we introduced winrate clamping. Essentially, any winrate higher than 55% works as a bonus, since the player is treated as 55% WR player for purposes of winrate smoothing, even if they actually win more. That means that exceptional skill is not penalized - it actually becomes an advantage instead.

Additionally, MM 2.0 matches players in the same way MM 1.0 did - by tier first then by WR. The main difference now is what it does with platooned players and how it works to groups players based on tiers to create tighter 1 +/- tier matches. So in reality, players are faced against others of similar tier more often which we stated in the blog post had more of an impact on match outcomes than WR did. It would be logically harder to win in a Tier 5 match if you faced off against primarily Tier 5 opponents than if you were faced against only a couple Tier 5's and the rest 3-4.

The problem is the low pop, not the MM. If the game had WoT numbers in terms of population I bet no one would even notice the wr smoothing.

Doesn't matter. They implemented a system to punish you if you are good... That is just retarded. And as long as it is there, people will bitch about it or just not play at all. And considering the rest of the game isn't special/good/innovating/etc any way, a lot of them just moved back to WoT or to other games like Naval Action.

Well, especially with that 55% restriction I believe people are massively overexaggerating it, I do agree it's a problem on NA where you'll run into the same top clan platoon every game, but on EU I have after 500 games yet to notice it.

I really do oppose this whole mechanic as I don't really see any benefits being worth the downsides for the population as a whole. On a more personal note this 55% capping pretty much negates the effect and at least in a platoon we can pretty much run 80% win rate platoon as long as we don't go all comedy tanks. When soloing the effect is maybe a bit more noticeable especially as I like playing the weaker tanks a bit and this kinda encourages sticking to strong carry tanks. In effect this is helping both the bots and the highest peak of player base first of which I don't think deserves, or even notices, any help and the later don't really need any help from mm to stomp people. Doing this on the expense of everyone else is stupid and hurting the 52-57% population with unfair mm mechanics will cause issues in the long run. And yeah this is from EU point of view so I can only imagine how messed up the effect is on NA. I wish they'd do something about the queue times too.

It's absolutely exaggerated because of NA population.  Otherwise it's just a shitty idea we all seem to agree against.  It's the pubby who complains about always facing good players and platoons being OP who likes this sort of thing.  Otherwise it's just a poor idea, poorly implemented while Obsidian ignores the real problems.  

MM 2.0 the final nail in the coffin.

Today I have 5 wins in 25 games. Every game I have is against a pltoon of OG's or something I am never on their team. MM 2.0 at work.