Defective_Chicken

Ferdi-Tier 8 Elder

What do you guys think about the ferdi now? Even with the health buff I feel it's difficult to compete with other tanks, especially b/c  jpanther 2's armor is more sloped, and has better mobility. Borsig has a bigger gun and a turret, t28 and t28 proto have real armor (yeah ferdi is ridiculously easy to pen). ISU has a bigger gun too. fyi I don't have the 12.8 unlocked so :/  maybe that's why

I dunno what do you guys think?

Unlock the 128, that gun makes the tank. After that, it's an OK tank- you aren't crippled in any area unlike T28s (speed), ISU(Vision, gun derpiness, turnrate), Roomba (armor), you just don't stand out. The theme is to outtrade heavies with the gun and HP, use armor to bully lowbies and mediums only.

I remember when I first started playing WoT way back in late 2011 / early 2012. The Ferdi was so scary back then for a new player. In the era before gold ammo for credits was a thing it was effectively almost completely frontally immune to everything below itself while also being highly resistant to most of the things within its tier save for the ISU-152 and maybe the T28.

Just now, How_Terrible said:

I remember when I first started playing WoT way back in late 2011 / early 2012. The Ferdi was so scary back then for a new player. In the era before gold ammo for credits was a thing it was effectively almost completely frontally immune to everything below itself while also being highly resistant to most of the things within its tier save for the ISU-152 and maybe the T28.

the ferdi was never good

never

even without gold, the superstructure is mediocre and the hull is riddled with weak points a tier 6 can pen

Ferdi in War Blunder is pretty stronk, especially if you can get into a hull-down position. At 1km+ the super-structure is very tough to get through without post-war ammo.

I researched & purchased this tank via the Tiger (P). After a few painful games stock and thoughtful introspection on how it'll play fully upgraded, I rage sold it.

It's one of the very few tanks I raged sold (VK 3001P & Tiger (P) lover here) because it's a terrible "Tank Destroyer" within my own definition.

You see the best "Tank Destroyer" is a tank that can kill another tank in 1,000 different ways. I would bet my soul that I can do much more DPG in my T32 or IS-3 because even though they have average guns, they have a phenomenial array of sleight of hand tricks they can pull.

To speak on behalf of the Ferdinand:

The WoT Wiki is a full of shit. The 8.8cm does not make the Ferdinand a easy grind at the slightest because...

The Ferdinand superstructure is equivocal to the Tiger 1's turret in constitution. You will overestimate the survivability of this participation trophy. (It looks good but it's absolutely meaningless)

And because it's a cripple tank and you shouldn't overestimate this tank like I did. It's bad.

No armor > No camo > No speed > No turret > Absolutely atrocious meta for casemate TD's [for] a superfluous improvement of +170 alpha damage.

Please tell me how those traits exceed the JP2 or even the T32?

Please tell me how you work with all those cons and then go on to say that the Ferdinand is a great "Tank Destroyer" compared to even HT's and MT's.

JP 2 has not so good superstructure as before.

Autoaim tends to pen it after HD nerf model.

Ferdi vs JP 2 has its own thread. Lets say that Ferdi is more noob-friendly, outtrade heavies with the gun and HP, bounce some low tier stuff and you go to the glorious Jagdtiger with the correct crew setup.

IS-3 is OP as hell, but Ferdi is better heavy than a lot of tier 8 shitters...ppl forget bad heavies like O-Ho, Caernarvon, KV-4 (at least pre-buff), etc..or french tds and such. It is not bad at all, barely mediocre. Metagame is now actually better for Ferdi, since it can play makeshift heavy and with HP buff you can squeeze one more shot before you die.

Unless you have experience with medium tanks, or at least 1500 WN8 do not try JP2. It has lower floor, but much higher skill ceiling. Also, it needs better crew.

For me, ISU is, and was always the best, it has troll factor, good dpm, catastrophic alpha, and derpiness has its own charm, akin to playing roulette. The best tier 8 td for facing tier X. And tier 6, lol oneshots. 

Does not care for IS-3 buffs HD model, it 2-shots them still. Also, gun depression is the best of all tds that have at least some alpha. Meta was not too kind to it, though.

10 minutes ago, Felicius said:

JP 2 has not so good superstructure as before.

Autoaim tends to pen it after HD nerf model.

Ferdi vs JP 2 has its own thread. Lets say that Ferdi is more noob-friendly, outtrade heavies with the gun and HP, bounce some low tier stuff and you go to the glorious Jagdtiger with the correct crew setup.

IS-3 is OP as hell, but Ferdi is better heavy than a lot of tier 8 shitters...ppl forget bad heavies like O-Ho, Caernarvon, KV-4 (at least pre-buff), etc..or french tds and such. It is not bad at all, barely mediocre. Metagame is now actually better for Ferdi, since it can play makeshift heavy and with HP buff you can squeeze one more shot before you die.

Unless you have experience with medium tanks, or at least 1500 WN8 do not try JP2. It has lower floor, but much higher skill ceiling. Also, it needs better crew.

For me, ISU is, and was always the best, it has troll factor, good dpm, catastrophic alpha, and derpiness has its own charm, akin to playing roulette. The best tier 8 td for facing tier X. And tier 6, lol oneshots. 

Does not care for IS-3 buffs HD model, it 2-shots them still. Also, gun depression is the best of all tds that have at least some alpha. Meta was not too kind to it, though.

JP2 is best for good players who are agressive, roomba is best for passive good players, ISU is good assault gun for aggro good players and camo sniping pubbies. Ferdy is decent for bads

I will quote Negrocomando:

"Ferdi is a easymode tank, not a lot of thinking is required to do well, but not a lot you can pull off either. Examples: Going hulldown isn't as effective as JP2 or heavies of the tier, sidescrape isn't easy in this, ferdi  can't flex as well as a medium or faster heavies (110/IS3/4502A), and camosniping is dead. In Ferdi you trade shot-by-shot with the occasional bounce, and that's it, you've done well, not more not less. "

Sums it up pretty nicely. 

I re-bought the Ferdinand last week , and played just 1 battle , and got Ace Tanker

my thoughts after playing it are that it is a still a nice tank destroyer , when you get peace to use the gun ( which must be aimed fully or it misses ) ,

the greatest thing about the Ferdi , is the much wider gun traverse ( compared to the JP II ) and good armour ( if you can keep hull down )

and your enemies don't know where to fire , or use gold ammo

I used gun rammer , binoculars and camo net ( which was a dumb thing - as I was deciding where vents or EGLD were the best option )

I played it ( badly ) 2 years ago , grinding to the Jagdtiger ,and now my crew skills are better ( along with gameplay ) ,

overall I still like it  - but the camo rating ( despite 4 of the 6 crew having camo training at a high level ) is poor

I was spotted , hull-down , behind a bush with my camo net activated -  in this game - so you need care not to be spotted on an open map

On March 2, 2016 at 8:22 PM, How_Terrible said:

I will always always always have the memory of driving a KV-2 (when it was just the KV at tier 5) on Lakeville. I was at the north side spawn and a Ferdi was coming up the middle road. I had HE loaded (this was a loooong time ago) and I knew I was toast as soon as he came around the corner. He showed up and started turning towards me, I aimed center mass and shot and blew him the hell up! I was shocked! Wasn't till a while later I actually learned about the weak shoulder areas, which is where I must have hit him. 

4 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I'm a defender of the ferdi for any player.

Even given the very unreliable armor? 

Well, there aren't too many tanks that can stand up to sprem rounds at all, honestly. So even very good armor is unreliable at best. 

The Ferdi has a great gun, it is fast enough to influence battles (yes T28 I'm looking at you), it has a good gun arc, and it has a pretty healthy pool of HP for a tier 8 TD. And it has armor that is good enough to bounce a shot or two a game. 

All in all it isn't a bad package. I never played it, I did the JP2 instead. When I played that I found it to be fantastic, but it's been nerfed some since then. 

On 9/27/2016 at 10:21 AM, hazzgar said:

Even given the very unreliable armor? 

The armor doesn't matter. 1500 HP, has to be aimed at, amazing 128mm fuck off stick, can move. Anyone can do well in the Ferdi.

Closest thing I can find to a thread for the Ferdinand, so thread necro ahoy!

So in 2021, having ground out 100 games, I have to say this thing was close to a disaster for me. Firstly, the positives: it has a great gun, 490 alpha with good penetration for both standard and gold rounds and a decent rate of fire means that in the right circumstances, it can certainly bring the pain on enemy tanks. It's got okay vision (but you'll need a decent crew to ramp it up) and a monstrous HP pool for a TD which can allow you to trade reasonably well.

Then the downsides - the tank sacrifices a lot of mobility for 'armour' but the 'armour' is the Tiger P hull which is close to an auto-pen for all but a few spots of thicker protection, and a flat superstructure which barely stands up to tier 8 heavy and TD standard rounds when on level ground, let alone gold or tier 9 tanks. This also means that HP gets eaten up ridiculously quickly, especially in the day and age of alpha-creep. The gun can be a bit derpy and unreliable, and with a fairly limited traverse, trying to get the gun on target, especially at close range can be a real challenge at time. You're also huge like a barn so forget about camo-sniping unless you've got draw range and decent bushes to work with.

I have a poor crew in it, so tried to gear it for brawling running Vents, Hardening to boost the HP and for track health, and IRM to help improve that awful traverse speed and to boost the dispersion on hull traverse. On some maps it can sort of be effective, but others you will just struggle to get the gun on target and trade anywhere reliably because you won't get to the best spots first, once there you can't utilise them that well, and everything pens you frontally with minimal effort while sometimes you will still need to aim. It also has a pretty horrific stock grind having to go through 2 guns before the 128mm, being the Tiger long 88 (gets DPM but poor penetration for the tier and not a particularly intimidating alpha strike for a TD), and a very lackluster 105mm. Overall, frustrating and not my cup of tea.

100 games, 51% win rate (it improved a lot towards the end, for most of the run it was hovering around the 44% level), 1,358 average damage (laughably bad compared to my other high-alpha TDs, and even worse than the Chinese WZ-111-1 FT, although heavily impacted by the stock grind, it was definitely going up towards the end with the top gun, which also likely explains my improving win rate towards the end) with only 285 average assist (given my poor crew, my setup really sacrifices view range). For reference, my armour use efficiency is only 0.29 compared to 0.6 on the WZ-120-1 FT, which is a TD with actual armour in the tier.

Overall I do not recommend. It just gives up too much for 'armour' which is next to useless in the current meta, and while it has a great gun, it doesn't feel like it's enough to make this thing anything more than mediocre.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, Balthazars said:

Closest thing I can find to a thread for the Ferdinand, so thread necro ahoy!

So in 2021, having ground out 100 games, I have to say this thing was close to a disaster for me. Firstly, the positives: it has a great gun, 490 alpha with good penetration for both standard and gold rounds and a decent rate of fire means that in the right circumstances, it can certainly bring the pain on enemy tanks. It's got okay vision (but you'll need a decent crew to ramp it up) and a monstrous HP pool for a TD which can allow you to trade reasonably well.

Then the downsides - the tank sacrifices a lot of mobility for 'armour' but the 'armour' is the Tiger P hull which is close to an auto-pen for all but a few spots of thicker protection, and a flat superstructure which barely stands up to tier 8 heavy and TD standard rounds when on level ground, let alone gold or tier 9 tanks. This also means that HP gets eaten up ridiculously quickly, especially in the day and age of alpha-creep. The gun can be a bit derpy and unreliable, and with a fairly limited traverse, trying to get the gun on target, especially at close range can be a real challenge at time. You're also huge like a barn so forget about camo-sniping unless you've got draw range and decent bushes to work with.

I have a poor crew in it, so tried to gear it for brawling running Vents, Hardening to boost the HP and for track health, and IRM to help improve that awful traverse speed and to boost the dispersion on hull traverse. On some maps it can sort of be effective, but others you will just struggle to get the gun on target and trade anywhere reliably because you won't get to the best spots first, once there you can't utilise them that well, and everything pens you frontally with minimal effort while sometimes you will still need to aim. It also has a pretty horrific stock grind having to go through 2 guns before the 128mm, being the Tiger long 88 (gets DPM but poor penetration for the tier and not a particularly intimidating alpha strike for a TD), and a very lackluster 105mm. Overall, frustrating and not my cup of tea.

100 games, 51% win rate (it improved a lot towards the end, for most of the run it was hovering around the 44% level), 1,358 average damage (laughably bad compared to my other high-alpha TDs, and even worse than the Chinese WZ-111-1 FT, although heavily impacted by the stock grind, it was definitely going up towards the end with the top gun, which also likely explains my improving win rate towards the end) with only 285 average assist (given my poor crew, my setup really sacrifices view range). For reference, my armour use efficiency is only 0.29 compared to 0.6 on the WZ-120-1 FT, which is a TD with actual armour in the tier.

Overall I do not recommend. It just gives up too much for 'armour' which is next to useless in the current meta, and while it has a great gun, it doesn't feel like it's enough to make this thing anything more than mediocre.

I played it around 1.5 years ago but then it worked with 61% WR and decent DPG (don't remember different acc) . Maybe play it like a jtiger - snipe early in the battle and trade hp later in the game. Playing it like a heavy is a mistake unless you're top tier and vs specific low pen tanks

10 hours ago, hazzgar said:

I played it around 1.5 years ago but then it worked with 61% WR and decent DPG (don't remember different acc) . Maybe play it like a jtiger - snipe early in the battle and trade hp later in the game. Playing it like a heavy is a mistake unless you're top tier and vs specific low pen tanks

I do think my decision to set it up and run it as a brawler hurt my performance (especially early on with the stock grind) but I felt it was necessary as my crew is just too poor to really get the view range up and still have some degree of camo protection (as of course it is huge as a barn) to snipe and not be the only one getting lit all the time. I also think though it has been hurt a lot by the power-creep at tier 8 especially over the last year which has seen alpha and penetration jump markedly. There are medium tanks in tier 8 now with comparable alpha and penetration that will laugh at 90% of your armour which makes trading all the more difficult.

8 hours ago, Balthazars said:

I do think my decision to set it up and run it as a brawler hurt my performance (especially early on with the stock grind) but I felt it was necessary as my crew is just too poor to really get the view range up and still have some degree of camo protection (as of course it is huge as a barn) to snipe and not be the only one getting lit all the time. I also think though it has been hurt a lot by the power-creep at tier 8 especially over the last year which has seen alpha and penetration jump markedly. There are medium tanks in tier 8 now with comparable alpha and penetration that will laugh at 90% of your armour which makes trading all the more difficult.

Even with a shit crew it's not a brawler really. It's a tank that should camp first and then bully where it can