BOchamp01

Wanting to push past this wall

I want to get better at this game. I love playing it (when my ping and TWC cooperates with me), but ive seem to run into a wall. I cant seem to get past this wall of about 1700-1760 recent WN8. Padding it past that would be easy, but i want to actually get better at this game. Over 1k of my 6k games, was just me derping around in my ELC and didnt really learn anything from that. My favorite tanks to play are the FCM 50t, AMX 30, and T54 LWT, although i would like to learn how to play the AMX 50 100 as i am just abysmal at it. My biggest issue has been knowing where to go at the beginning of the match, and consistency. I can have 5k+ WN8 games and then have a string of 800 or less WN8 games. I've watched multiple streamers, tons of X3N4's replays, and tried to observe how he plays and why, but i don't learn very well that way. Any help is appreciated. I am always available after 10:30pm Eastern time, but if i don't work i can be available all day. Thanks for reading. 

P.S. i dont mind paying for someone to mentor me, as long as it's not too crazy :P

JUST
DO
IT

Uh, try to live longer and take less damage. Almost always the longer you live the more damage you CAN do. Doing the damage is what actually matters though, so find spots you can hold. Being super overly aggressive like 5k+ wn8 (barring Cabawa CHAI snipe) will only get you killed very quickly or on the odd chance actually reproduce a 5k wn8 game.

SO
JUST
DO 
IT

Ok, so my stats aren't even close enough to being a credible source, but what I can say is this:

1) I just looked up X3N4 and he is god.

2) Pre-match planning: What does your team consist of (mostly heavies, or mostly mediums, or mostly tds?) and what does the enemy team have? Then coordinate based on map. For example: You are in your FCM on Abbey. Your team mostly has mediums and the enemy team mostly has mediums. Most likely there will be dogfighting in town and west, so head there to either help push, or if you're top tier then go east to defend that flank. But mostly it's based on where your team goes, which is a huge factor in public matches. If you have already have a bunch of tanks moving west, go east and help that flank, unless you're the only one/there's one other tank. If you are alone on a flank, fall back to a defensive position close to your allies, like the base hills. The ground rule is this: Always adapt and move to where you will stay alive (your first priority) and where you can deal damage (second priority)

3) It seems you mostly play medium/light tanks. With these tanks you basically fill in where you're needed, hence the role of a medium tank is to give support. Use your mobility to retreat or assist a flank.

If anything that I just said needs to be cleared up, just let me know. I used to play heavy tanks more but I'm leaning toward medium tanks :P

18 minutes ago, #Lunaughty said:

JUST
DO
IT

Uh, try to live longer and take less damage. Almost always the longer you live the more damage you CAN do. Doing the damage is what actually matters though, so find spots you can hold. Being super overly aggressive like 5k+ wn8 (barring Cabawa CHAI snipe) will only get you killed very quickly or on the odd chance actually reproduce a 5k wn8 game.

SO
JUST
DO 
IT

<insert shia labeouf> also could someone explain to me this 5k+WN8?

39 minutes ago, #Lunaughty said:

JUST
DO
IT

SO
JUST
DO 
IT

Thanks for the tips. The games where i do survive, i have those crazy WN8 games, but mostly i've been going to spots where i have seen Purples go and do tons of damage, but it may not be the right spot at that time and i get killed early. EDIT: For Example this game i just played, http://wotreplays.com/site/2522350#arctic_region-bochamp01-amx_30_1er_prototype i did 7752 DMG and definitely carried the game, but right before this game, i played a game and only had about a 1500 WN8 :/ 

If you go play with someone who isnt a retard for about an hour, they can probally point out like the 1-3 viable places to go on any map in rotation and or inform you that you are a moron when you go somewhere dumb.

also watching xn34 play does not seem like something that would help you imo, yes they are amazingly good but understanding what and why they are doing things seems like it would elude you, I would recommend watching someone that is just a few levels above you. Like watch someone that plays around @KruggWoofyWolf level, light purple/dark blue 

:disco:

2 hours ago, zapyoug said:

If you go play with someone who isnt a retard for about an hour, they can probally point out like the 1-3 viable places to go on any map in rotation and or inform you that you are a moron when you go somewhere dumb.

also watching xn34 play does not seem like something that would help you imo, yes they are amazingly good but understanding what and why they are doing things seems like it would elude you, I would recommend watching someone that is just a few levels above you. Like watch someone that plays around @KruggWoofyWolf level, light purple/dark blue 

What zappy said.

Somehow avoid the teams that give you a bad win rate, or platoon with a video game savant.

I would quite like to platoon with you and show you a couple dank spots, hit me up in game. I recently hit purple, so I think I might have enough skill to show some spots while not being crazy good, or good in any real way.

Do you have any interest in HTs? I think the slow tempo playstyle and favorable meta will make the process of gaining positional knowledge much easier IMO.

Reasoning being that all engagements occur in zones where all classes intermixed, not compartmentalized. When you're playing your HT as a newbie, you'll probably die a lot but you'll be more cognizant of how you died whether by flanking/kiting by a MT @ Y1 when you were @ Z1 or by superior attacking/defending location controlled by a HT that conquers your Z1 location from X1 assuming it's 1v1.

The maps look very intimidating I can imagine but it's actually pretty simple if you break it down to this.

3 battle zones exist: West/Mid/East

Middle zone is for the most part unimportant because west/east zone can flank it easily, it sometimes doesn't have enough space for a team to operate and it has no cover because of the dual flank exposure.

Map control is the gist of the game:

So your pushing either west or east. Your mission is to posistion yourself where you can "control" the most map ground. "Control" is both a team effort and a individual effort. The first priority is getting the best angle of fire, the second is being reasonable accessible to the battlegroup as to do defensive/offensive plays more effectively through HP sharing/keeping the and third priority is making yourself the hardest possible target to damage.

Terrain and contrast choices:

So your on a map and you know to push either west or east zone to contest @ the middle section as to "secure" a zone and help in "denying" the red team's objective in other zones. Because you have all this free tank power, you should snowball the other flanks. This is in theory of course.

I don't think I should tell you this but don't go valley in Lakeville and pursue high elevation terrain that has a effectual cover in the zone overall to the cap zone. Valley fails and the only meaningful reason why? The cap circle is open and there's absolutely nothing obstructive from town side to prevent decaps and damage. Remember. Play the game to deny the enemy objective first because as that BohemianEagle fellow would say "It's rude to interrupt the enemy when they're making a mistake".

Mid/Late game when a zone is clear well remember the objective to deny but also preserve thr integrity of cap/friendlies in good sections/friendlies in bad sections/afk'ers/teamkillers/arty in that order. This will involve a lot of backcourt play.

I hope this helps OP. Thank you for asking for help. I appreciate your effort to become a better player. If you need specific map help then just PM me and I'll tell you the simple map coordinates.

Also check out the map thread in the new players subforum as well as the map discussion subforum, particularly Kolni's thread about fancy positions if you need more help with maps.

On 3/4/2016 at 1:22 AM, zapyoug said:

But my shit talk game is 5k son. No contest :doge:

Im making progress as i just played this game where i fell back after making a bad call, made a few key kills, and ended up clutching the game with 1min left. Replay link: http://wotreplays.com/site/2651018#el_halluf-bochamp01-amx_30_b , but then i go and play this game in my 50 100. https://www.mediafire.com/?tlgvgl3jh5246wc Could you guys tell me where i should have gone and done instead of what i did? Pushing Down was a bad idea, but im not sure where to go on Sand RIver in my 50 100.