Sign in to follow this  
kunjuro

WZ-1224 - Ye or Nay?

Hello guys,

I still have leftover godl from buying a month's worth of premium (all gone) and the Pac 90. I still have enough gold to purchase the new Chinese MBT, the WZ-1224 (AKA how the 113 in WoT should have performed hehe). On paper, it has a good hull and decent turret with a very reasonable gun. Compared to other prems - how does it match? Is it worth the 1500 cost? How well does it profit (without a prem account?). Fewer (RIP Garbad) seems to like it (enough to post a guide on the AW forums). Feedback would be much appreciated thanks.

It is very good at stomping people who aren't very good at the game. Anyone who knows to shoot lower third of lfp, has a missile or the will and the ability to flank you will wreck your day though. Well worth the money still. Haven't really paid attention to the whole money making side of things.

I've had it since the patch dropped pretty much, and I rather like it as far as tier 5 MBTs go.  

If you can hide your LFP, or at least the lower portion of it, you're pretty much invincible from the front to most enemies.  The LFP is like the one on the MBT-70 where you have to hit the very bottom bit of it to pen in most tanks.  Some ATGMs will be powerful enough to get through the rest of your front, but otherwise enemies will need to hit the tiny turret hatches pen.  However, only the Leo 1a5 has a weaker side hull at that tier, but the front armor is the best of all tier 5 MBT against KE.

The gun is going to feel just like the 105mm on your other tier 5 MBTs, but it's special since the pen is a good as a T-72.  The gun isn't amazing, it isn't awful, but it gets the job done.  Gun depression is certainly an issue though and limits where on the map you'll be effective.  Nothing that can't be worked around, but certainly a negative trait.  Gun handling, like most tanks this tier sucks stock, but is not an issue as you get better crew and retrofits.

Mobility is surprisingly good, only beat by the Leo 1a5.  You'll find yourself leading the pack of MBTs, which is good since your armor is going to be able to eat the most hits in most cases.  View range is a bit low though, even by MBT standards, so that's worth considering.  

As a whole, the main point you'll want to leverage is your armor.  That mobility is to help you get to a space to use that armor well, then you kill the bad guys.  This works well both for being aggressive and holding an area, though I'd personally argue it's better at the latter.

I'd recommend it since it offers something unique that the other tier 5 MBTs can't really deliver, plus it's pretty decent as well.  Certainly can make some cash, plus I've always liked the looks of it too.

If you're looking to play tier 5 it's totally worth it.  Especially on EU where you see mostly your tier.  If you're playing on NA, it's more limited by queue composition.  Tier 5 doesn't seem to be as popular these days, but the tank is a beast.