Sign in to follow this  
Rexxie

The Black Prince

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Black_Prince

Just picked up this thing, want to see some opinions on it.

So far I do think its the best churchill variant; the agility, gun depression, and mantlet make using the armor much easier than on the Church VII, and while the armor is still roughly the same on the hull, as it turns out you don't really need more than 152mm to bounce things you should reasonably be sitting in front of. Coupled with the tier 8 HP, much improved pen, and a slightly more forgiving tier, I'm liking it much more than the horrible VII. Other than that, the only real surprising aspect of the tank is the camo - it's damn good, better than the IS.

With that said, it is a churchill, christ is 20kph crippling, and extended slugfests are pretty much all it can do with that measly DPM/alpha combo. Reliable gun, but not particularly powerful.

Opinions? Baddiemobile or solid tank?

Got out of it over the weekend.

Not an amazing tank by a long way. Pitiful damage and meh pen combined with no mobility. IMO the worst of the tier 7 heavies.

Picked up the AT8 as well, which has the same gun, troll armour but is a tier lower.

I find it to be a good counter to pubbies, who will bounce off you often.  I generally see them alive late in games.  They're certainly a speed bump for my T49, but not something I consider more threatening than others at that tier.  Like most tanks, it will be good in capable hands.  That speed will likely drive you mad, though.

I find it to be a good counter to pubbies, who will bounce off you often.  I generally see them alive late in games.  They're certainly a speed bump for my T49, but not something I consider more threatening than others at that tier.  Like most tanks, it will be good in capable hands.  That speed will likely drive you mad, though.

While bouncy armour is nice I'd rather a capable gun. Gun to dispatch blues/purples in a timely fashion > trolling tier 8 baddies.

You summed it up perfectly in the OP. It's what the Churchills should have been, but it's still just a Churchill. It's very good in very specific situations, but it's still overall a pretty mediocre tank.

Unlike the Churchill VII, I did actually like the Black Prince. It's not terrible. It's just not very good.

It serves the mighty purpose of pushing into enemies to dps them down with it's firerate gun.

But really, doesn't the AT7 fulfill that role already, and is even better at it?

It ain't no T29 or IS-2

this is pretty much my feelings on any tier 7 heavy that doesn't fulfill those criteria

The Black Prince, specifically, has always seemed incredibly mediocre to me. I do not want to touch it.

I share many of the opinions above.  Basically, the BP is not anything great but I actually do like it.  It is such a huge improvement over the Churchill VII that it feels wonderful (though it is not great compared to other tier 7 heavies).  It has a sufficient combo of surprisingly effective armor, decent gun, and gun depression.  The 20 kph is a bit painful but otherwise the tank turns/accelerates decently.

I have about 60k left to grind on this tank - I'm actually tempted to hold on to it.  It's not a great tank for winning but it's the right combo of ugly and fun that I really don't mind playing it (see: TOG II* as well).  If I wanted a strong Tier 7 I'd hop into the T29 or Tiger P instead.

I LOVED playing mine, and I usually hate slow tanks. It's basically unstopable in tier 7 battles, and I even charge at Lowe in it. It's so much better than Churhill VII, which I hated and only took out for doubles. It would have been a keeper for me had I have the crew. No, it's not T29, but it does amazing things in its own way. 

It's indeed the best churchill variant - mainly because the church1 has a soft turret and the church7 has the same gun as the church1...

the 17pdr is a nice pen upgrade, but the alpha is just abysmal. You really need to stay in the open for far too long to make your DPM worth it, and anyone good will just pen you anyways with gold (200+ goes right through).

This makes the BP, as someone above said, amazing at trolling pubbies but very lackluster at dealign with blues/purples. And honestly, I'm sure you can troll pubbies in any tank - you don't need to do it in a BP!

(this is the last tank in the entire line with any armor, mind you)

In randoms full of derppopotamus pubs, it is good comedy to absorb a 400 damage shell then charge into sword fighting range.

Caernarvon is almost unlocked; I expect nothing but pain from this point forward.

Yea, just 50 more pen that mediums of its tier. 

50? Not really. Same pen as the Centurion. Only 14 more than the I-P, 23 more than the Panther II. Only has 50 more pen than the T-44, Pershing, and T69.

Of course, with SPREM, it has LESS pen than the Pershing and T69.

Caern is better for its tier than Conq.

That's not my experience ~.~, though the Caenarvon was my 1st tier 8 back at like 3k games, and the Conqueror I got at like 7k games.

Seriously though, I think I have like 1400 DPG in my Caen and 2800 in my Conq >.<

That's not my experience ~.~, though the Caenarvon was my 1st tier 8 back at like 3k games, and the Conqueror I got at like 7k games.

Seriously though, I think I have like 1400 DPG in my Caen and 2800 in my Conq >.<

If you played it before you knew how to abuse gun depression, that's expected. It's got quite a high ceiling with perma-tracking, mantlet trolling and etc.