TheMarine0341

What Equipment Would You Use?

So, a couple of months ago the wonderful @TheMightyJingles posted several videos talking with Slov (?) and some other developers from WG. A particular section talked about equipment. TLDR Version of that: Tankers are using only a few pieces. If it can use a VStab? Done. If it can use a Rammer? Done. Can use vents? Done. Optics make sense? Done. I mean, for hell's sake my MT's tier 6+ are VStab, Rammer, Optics unless it cant use a VStab, so I use vents. 

But, what if:

All tanks had their stats buffed by 2.5% + Crew. Vents are Removed from the store
All Tank which had a rammer available: -10% Reload time on all tanks which use it, Rammer Removed from store
All tanks which can use a VStab: Dispersion buffed by -20%, VStab removed from store
All tanks with VR over 380 (Except scouts, but would receive a 5% increase to VR): VR is buffed by 5%, Optics exclusive to scouts

How would this affect your crews, and equipment load-outs? I'll add my own thoughts to its effect on my crews/equipment. Theoretical at this point, but from that video it made it sound like this will come down the pipes in one way or another in the future

The one thing that caught my attention in that video was them talking about giving sixth sense and some other skills away for free in some sort of fashion in the future. Those that grinded out crews and especially those that purchased gold to get crew skills will be screwed over in the future. The guy from WG, forgot the name, said yea but it's a long ways off so by then it will be acceptable by the community. 

/shakeshead

Not wanting to derail thread, but arty? If they can say screw you with that, why not with arty? 

Back on topic:

I think GLDs would become the standard. And toolbox might see some use. If the tank has fire issues because of fuel tanks, get them filled with CO2. or ammo rack problems, WAR. If I had an average tank, I would use GLD, toolbox and camo net. Toolbox for track repair and camo net for end game. If I'm in a heavy, I might switch camo net out for enhanced suspension.

Edited by snowdude21325
because I'm shit at posting

GLD would be the new "automatic" equipment choice.

A great many tanks that have ammo rack problems would get a ninja buff by being able to use WAR without being gimped due to dropping vents/optics.

The last slot would be somewhat up in the air depending on class. Seems to me your choices are Binos/Tool Box. Binos for TDs, meds???. Tool Box for Heavies.

Spall liners and tool boxes would be a lot more viable.  We actually did a test of T-150s vs OIs with and without spall liners for Tier 6 CW during the campaign.  With spall liners installed, the T-150 flat out face wrecked the OIs.  Tool box is one I keep around anyway for mid tier tanks I am just grinding through.

If the 'big 3' were gone, would enhanced suspension become viable?

Personally I don't put optics on any meds (vents because food)

so I'd put optics, toolbox and honestly a camo net for almost every single tank I have

Bigger heavies would get spall liner/toolbox/GLD though, and meds with shitty gunhandling would get GLD instead of camo net (looking at you AMX 30)

Depends like currently i love my 140s gun handling and just use vents, ram, optics find i have no issue russian snapshotting.

but to use my 140 as an example, assuming it had rammer, vents, optics built onto it or what have you

I'd probably go WAR cause weak ass ammo rack

CO2 cause fuel tank fires, ive been caught on fire twice in one match once, with just 4 shots taken to

and probably either camo net or tool box. I've always loved increased repair speeds. I mean I know i had one on my t29 for short short while before the crew was trained up (sidescraping usually left me permatracked at first, got frustrated made it a bit easier) and once I had large repair kit, tool box, and repairs skill tracks fixed themselves in no time. so in a med like the 140 toolbox would be nice.

but i think youd have less dependence overall on things like rammer, to try and maximize your DPM. Kinda like when CoD did away with stopping power, cause everyone used it.

well im going to end up using Spall liner, Toolbox, and and depending on the gun GLD or if the Guns is good enough for me whatever the hell i feel like

GLD is a given

binos and toolbox are good too

case by case basis of swapping binos or toolbox for WAR or something dumb

spall liner seems like a cool thing to use as well but its weight slows your tank down a bit which I feel is a serious detriment

Edited by zapyoug

The problem remains that equipment optimization revolves around stat increases, and there are only few stats that really matter in the game: gunnery stuff (ie. gun handling, reload), mobility (ie. terrain resistance, acceleration) and armor. Equipment that increase module health are effectively useless because health conservation (not getting shot at or penned) already contribute to your modules not breaking. You can give every tank in the game every single piece of equipment by default and it still wouldn't fix the problem.

Equipment need some downsides to them. A somewhat apt example would be the spall liners that add significant weight to your tank, but then it also need to do something effective. Something like vstab/GLD decreasing your gun/turret traverse rate, rammer increasing your bloom, vents making the crew more vulnerable to HE (still, fuck arty), stuff like that. Toolboxes and module health equipment are more or less fine as they are since they are so incredibly situational, but the point is that you NEED people to actually consider not using GLD/optics/vents/vstab/rammer while giving them something useful in return.

I would go with either all equipment that enhances survivability (i.e wet ammo rack, spall liner, enhanced suspension, etc.) on tanks like the maus; while having some combination of GLD/toolbox/camo net/survivability for other tanks depending on the class (i.e TDs would get binocs, camo net and GLD).

Edited by Flaksmith

The problem is that WoT doesn't have an equal spread of relevant stats to give you any choice in the matter. There's a reason that pretty much all tanks use exactly the same equipment and skills, namely that every tank in the game relies on the same stats to almost the same degree. Everything needs 6th sense, everything needs repair, everything needs camo (unless it's the Maus), everything needs a DPM increase (you're a retard for not picking it on all but the most shooty tanks), everything needs better aim time and so on and so on.

The bottom line is that, although it takes place in tanks, you're still effectively playing a first/third person shooter hybrid and since it isn't exactly twitchy in nature, you rely on stat increases to get what you want. Of course you want more DPM when everything has an HP bar and you can't headshot them, of course you want better aim time when the game has heavy RNG elements and of course you want to repair faster so you don't have to sit in the open.

The only real difference between general vehicles classes is when you get a skill, not if you get it and that's a problem. Equipment isn't even a choice and it says a lot that the only slight debate on equips is on the very last possible slot, with only a couple of extra options. As long as the game has these gigantic RNG issues, the priority for anyone who cares even slightly will be RNG reduction > anything else.

That said, it always made me wonder why WG didn't add equipment and skill alternatives to reward various crew/tank setups at the exclusion of other things: Something like an equip that increases alpha but prevents the use of rammer and the other way around. There are also just way too many useless items and crew skills in general and they stick too many of the good skills on the same crew members. They basically need to nuke all the equips + skills and start over. They did it once and can surely do it again since the game already remembers how much exp your crew has.

I honestly think that WG forgot they made a shooter with extreme RNG sometimes. Why would you not pick the items and skills that reduce outside influence and increase your own? :facepalm:

You should always be aiming to buff the stats that provide you the greatest capability to cause damage to the enemy team, whether its you dealing the damage, or spotting and allowing others to deal the damage. That stands true regardless of what equipment is available. Ideally ones that provide a constant and guaranteed bonus, rather than ones that provide a situational or random RNG induced bonus. So with that said theres still some useless ones.

-Spall liner, only if the tank has constant crew member deaths. Otherwise its worthless. You shouldnt plan around getting hit by arty, it hardly knocks any damage off and does jack shit for penetrating HE hits anywho.

-Enhanced suspension, i guess since it increases module hp you should in theory get tracked less, but id he willing to wager without looking at the numbers that it would still be ineffective vs most high tier guns module damage.

-CO2 tanks, see above

-Engine filter, see above

-WAR, maybe feasible but again I doubt the module hp increase would be enough to REALLY matter. Still ammo rack is pretty important so it would make this more feasible than the other three.

-Toolbox, either replace some crew members repair skills for other stuff or run repairs and the toolbox for epic repair times to prevent permatracking. Definitely a top choice.

-GLD, who doesnt like any kind of gun handling buff? 100% given on pretty much everything.

-Optics, since you say only on scouts skipping it

-Binocs, id say 100% given on non-assault TD's. Useful for heavies not prone to ammo rack damage.

-Camo net, id say definitely on scouty mediums and scouts.

TL;DR

Heavys: GLD, Toolbox, Binocs/WAR

Meds: GLD, Toolbox, Camo Net/Binocs

Lights: Toolbox, Camo Net, Optics/Binocs (Optionally swap toolbox or camo net for GLD if extremely active scouting)

TDs: GLD, Camo Net, Binocs

Arty: GLD, Camo Net, Chemo

Still Useless Shit: CO2, Engine filter, Enhanced Suspension, and to some degree WAR.

2 minutes ago, lt_lolcat said:

I'd love to be able to equip extra armor on tanks like sandbags or side skirts at the cost of being heavier.

In before everyones tanks wearing a top hat made out of sandbags to cover cupolas.

19 minutes ago, lt_lolcat said:

I'd love to be able to equip extra armor on tanks like sandbags or side skirts at the cost of being heavier.

Sandbags wouldn't do much against AP/APCR, but it would act as spaced armor to HEAT and HE rounds (in the real world).

4 hours ago, engineered said:

Sandbags wouldn't do much against AP/APCR, but it would act as spaced armor to HEAT and HE rounds (in the real world).

why not put on LOGS like they did on Fury

Just now, engineered said:

Logs would be even less effective.

Lumberjack galore. You knock down a tree in the game, you gain free spaced armor equipment.