ToshibaTheFriendlyZombie

How I dealt with arty. (Forgive me father for i have sinned)

Edit: i have posted a more comprehensive guide based on my observations, to save people having to actually buy an arty to work this out - although I still think that no guide will every be a substitute for first hand experience. thanks to  @Nekommando for the suggestion. I hope you guys like it. I read all your comments and suggestions, so if there is anything I can improve on, add etc, let me know :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all, so I don't regard myself as an amazing player by any stretch, and I may just be talking a load of shit, but hopefully, this post might just help somebody.

it started about 3 months ago. There I was, going about my business, when arty shot me. Alright, one shot, no big deal, next game. Going around, pwning tanks, carrying a team, almost level the playing field, arty one shot. Ok this is taking the piss. 8/10 games I was either getting one shot or taking crippling blows - and driving things with no armour like STB and Leo meant it was just hopeless. It was becoming like groundhog day, just getting rekt every game, and it was predictable how I would die.

i started to rage, and then I thought, "fuck the game,  I want the power of God" - so I went over to the darkside. I started driving my T92 which had sat dormant since I started reading wotlabs and trying to actually play well. I startedheat-spamming  my lefh 105. Dissatisfied with the T92, i downgraded to the M53/55 and picked up a GWpanther and M44. It felt amazing (and dirty). Striking with impunity- so carefree and easy. Just point and click- whilst still maintaining green-purple wn8 games. But thats when it hit me- just how predictable people are- especially yellow-blue players. I knew when people were going to drive in the open - i saw the patterns people took whilst peekabooming, i figured out where to preaim. This is the same shit i had been doing, and now looking down the sights of an arty, it all just clicked. I am a firm believer in driving a tank you hate to play against to learn it's strengths and weaknesses. And thats why, even if you have to lose all self respect, all dignity and self esteem,  I think people should try some arty. (Ps before the rage floods in, i have largely stopped playing arty again).

ironically, it was it wasn't just the purples that were hardest to kill, it was the red- oranges because they drive so erratically and i couldn't work out the next move.  So what i took away from all this was;

- i learnt where arty preaim

- what the arcs look like for their shells, and what places look arty safe but really aren't

- to not be so predictable

- how long it takes for arties to switch targets and aim in, buying me movement time

- where to look when hunting arties (and as an arty, where the best places to NOT be found are

i'm sure a better player can work all this out without needing to pick up an arty, but going from 8/10 games of being crippled by arties to maybe 1/10 or 1/20 was a massive improvement for me. These are just my thoughts. Ofc the redstat rng will sometimes get you, but at least. I have upped my survival rates.

finally, i am sorry (no seriously, i really am) to anyone i have one shot over the past 2 months. Arty is out of my system. I have learned thy enemy, and shall use my knowledge against them, for the greater good.

tl;dr

counter arty by playing an arty and learn how to play them well.

observe enemy positioning and patterns from an arty perspective

use new found knowledge against arty

go in the corner and cry and think about your life choices

Get back to playing normal tanks and win more

never talk about your horrible, dark past.

commence anti arty comments in 3...2....1....

Edit: i have posted a more comprehensive guide based on my observations, to save people having to actually buy an arty to work this out - although I still think that no guide will every be a substitute for first hand experience. thanks to  @Nekommando for the suggestion. I hope you guys like it. I read all your comments and suggestions, so if there is anything I can improve on, add etc, let me know :)

l felt that way arty wanting to harvest powerfeelings and tears with confidence that my sheer blue skills will carry the day regardless of platform.

Then I actually played arty:

Ugly camera angle

Intolerable gun handling

Intolerable agility

UNRESOLVABLE tendency to miss fully aim shots

Intolerable assbeating by red players as the team's waterboy/cheerleader

Total lack of immersion

All SPG's look like trash bins/FYI: WotLabs, pls make a trash bin shaped as a SPG

Intolerable RoF 

Can't carry at all

5% overall chance to reach those positive feelings per match.

Recently, I kept those points in mind and laughed in chat of being 1-shotted because that arty player probably has suffered more than me overall with bad RNG, bad ergonomics, asspoundings, waste of real life time, lost of finance and arty grinds kekeke.

Pardon my rant ^_^

BTW friendos, if you like arty or if you want the high of arty without all the cons and most importantly moral degeneracy then CV's in WoWs is sex on rudders so to speak compared to what you currently feel with your arty piece.

this does actually work. I played some heat m44 (on SEA don't murder me)

The biggest things I learned though.

-leading a shot really isn't hard. What stops you getting hit is moving enough for arty to have to re-aim.

- A lot of the time when theres a guy in a shit position that you can just unload into you have to move so you don't get clicked

-terrain cover makes it slightly harder to get hit but you'll still get hit

- TD mode is disgustingly effective

- arty WILL make bullshit shots that you can't do anything about and it will piss you the fuck off but its still pretty rare, and expect heavy tank damage splash even if you did nothing wrong

- Arty still have about a 50/50 chance of hitting a fully aimed shot in the open so they are actually weaker than normal tanks

- don't go to places without arty cover that people go to every game then sit still there

So i don't really get hit by arty much but still, it is pretty cancerous but for me personally less so than a whole bunch of the maps, pubbies, facerolls and taking a game with so much rng seriously.

5 hours ago, ToshibaTheFriendlyZombie said:

- i learnt where arty preaim

- what the arcs look like for their shells, and what places look arty safe but really aren't

- to not be so predictable

- how long it takes for arties to switch targets and aim in, buying me movement time

- where to look when hunting arties (and as an arty, where the best places to NOT be found are

tl;dr

counter arty by playing an arty and learn how to play them well.

observe enemy positioning and patterns from an arty perspective

use new found knowledge against arty

go in the corner and cry and think about your life choices

Get back to playing normal tanks and win more

never talk about your horrible, dark past.

+1, understand by literally walking in arty shoes for a month or 2.

I stopped raging about arty hitting me because

• if I was stationary/predictable in my poke I deserved to be punished for predictability
  • If I was hit while running full steam it's RNG and Stalin's hand on the round - there were probably 2-3 others that missed me that I never noticed

I still suck in arty (green at best) but I understand enough to not be the obvious go-to target, and to consider more perspectives (file under map knowledge).

3 hours ago, Casas5591 said:

l felt that way arty wanting to harvest powerfeelings and tears with confidence that my sheer blue skills will carry the day regardless of platform.

Then I actually played arty:

Ugly camera angle

Intolerable gun handling

Intolerable agility

UNRESOLVABLE tendency to miss fully aim shots

Intolerable assbeating by red players as the team's waterboy/cheerleader

Total lack of immersion

All SPG's look like trash bins/FYI: WotLabs, pls make a trash bin shaped as a SPG

Intolerable RoF 

Can't carry at all

5% overall chance to reach those positive feelings per match.

Recently, I kept those points in mind and laughed in chat of being 1-shotted because that arty player probably has suffered more than me overall with bad RNG, bad ergonomics, asspoundings, waste of real life time, lost of finance and arty grinds kekeke.

Pardon my rant ^_^

BTW friendos, if you like arty or if you want the high of arty without all the cons and most importantly moral degeneracy then CV's in WoWs is sex on rudders so to speak compared to what you currently feel with your arty piece.

That is so true it hurts. Full aim hits miss 5 times in a row ftl.

For camera angle there's always arty assistant (the G-button I-Win mod), gives a nice perspective look at the poor fart you are delivering "balance" to. Or not, because RNG balance.

When I see arty I get extremely carefull not to get hit by it, and that ruins my game, that constant thinking and waiting to get spotted and oneshotted. Imo my games would be better if I had no idea how and where arty can shoot me, they miss more often than not.

PS. I am really really good at avoiding them skycancerfucks (and by it crippling my DPG :( )

If you intent to carry your team you have to deal alot of Dmg sometimes.There is just not much time to change your position after each shot so an arty piece has to reaim when I get lit again. And of course in many games your Wn8 is the thing which makes them just go for you because I am a big threat in my light tank i guess ... A match with more than one arty means I have to hop from one cover to the other. When the MM decides to put in more than 33% TDs ... oh dear so much fun :cri:

I recently started playing more arty for the 260 missions and it's just confirmed what all I always thought. That is a broken piece of shit game mechanic that shouldn't be in the game.

It's also even easier than I thought, if I hadn't been playing for missions, so avoiding firing at easy targets cos I need to hit TDs or just blind firing arty all game I'd easily have 2.5k plus DPG in the M53/55 with less than 150 games experience in the whole class. As long as the game lasts longer than about 3-4 minutes and it's not Himmelsdorf you click 3-4 shots and get 3k damage with ease, like stupidly easy. 

I swear the shitters don't do better in arty because so many of them spend too often XVM focussing. If you shoot the easy targets you'll hit every other shot and every 4th will do like 1k plus. 

6 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

I recently started playing more arty for the 260 missions and it's just confirmed what all I always thought. That is a broken piece of shit game mechanic that shouldn't be in the game.

It's also even easier than I thought, if I hadn't been playing for missions, so avoiding firing at easy targets cos I need to hit TDs or just blind firing arty all game I'd easily have 2.5k plus DPG in the M53/55 with less than 150 games experience in the whole class. As long as the game lasts longer than about 3-4 minutes and it's not Himmelsdorf you click 3-4 shots and get 3k damage with ease, like stupidly easy. 

I swear the shitters don't do better in arty because so many of them spend too often XVM focussing. If you shoot the easy targets you'll hit every other shot and every 4th will do like 1k plus. 

You just picked probably 1 of the best arty pieces in game to base your conclusion on. It's like saying if I play nothing but HEAT-54 all day, everyday everybody should be doing 5k dpg games with ease, like stupidly easy.

Well it's pretty much the only arty you see at tier 9, plus most crap players could spam HEAT all day in a T-54 and not come close to what they can do in an M53/55. 

3 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

Well it's pretty much the only arty you see at tier 9, plus most crap players could spam HEAT all day in a T-54 and not come close to what they can do in an M53/55. 

Same logic applies for M53/55 and most folk would not spam the prem HE. Pubbies be pubbies mon.

5 hours ago, no_name_cro said:

On the other side I rage more when playing arty. It's pure RNG fest. I can't imagine how anybody can stand and click and miss for more than 2 battles.

If you're shit enough you have to rely on rng to actually hit something. Arta is perfect class for shitlords who are good enough to double-click wot shortcut on desktop and absolute scrubs at anything else.

13 hours ago, Nekommando said:

You can spare the rest of us the cancer by documenting your findings. Make a guideline, no one else has to try cancer no more. Good? 

Calibre Powa made some decent youtube arty map guides a long time ago.

After watching his videos you'll realize there are only a few key arty positions on each map.  The problem is that with three arty per match they can cover virtually all of them.

6 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Well it's pretty much the only arty you see at tier 9

That's like asking why you don't see that many type 4's / cent 7's / [insert trash tank here].  because they're trash.  Why play trash when you can play a T10 with T9 MM?

14 hours ago, Nekommando said:

You can spare the rest of us the cancer by documenting your findings. Make a guideline, no one else has to try cancer no more. Good? 

i'll get on it soon!

Many moons ago I too have dabbled in the dark arts, but not enough to fully grasp them and become a good arty player. I only did the Hummel and GW.Panther and it wasn't long before I sold them. Plainly put, I sucked at it, and thought it was too boring to be worth my time.

So I chose a different approach to arty. Instead of learning their shit to be more arty safe, I play stupidly aggressive, often as if arty wasn't even there. Now that's not to say I won't take cover behind a rock or go dark for thirty seconds when I know they're looking for me, but in general I'll value aggression over safety. I tend to ping the map at the hotspot I intend to be brawling at and do my best to get the pubbies to yolo with me. And playing like this I am often able to create blowouts within the first few minutes of the battle. The nice thing about blowouts is that they largely remove arty from the game. It leaves them with one or two shots to make a difference before their team is vaporized.

There is nothing sweeter than enemy arty crying in chat that "team sucked gg" because the game is starting to blow out my way.

While your write up is nice OP, there's a big problem with it. It doesn't matter if I'm a pro at arty preaiming & positioning (I played enough arty to know that quite well), it doesn't matter how hard I try to be unpredictable and so on, I still get shit on, sure, I get shit on a little less, but it's nowhere near enough to get me to play the game again. You simply cannot defeat arty, all you can do is lower the probability a bit. And I say that as someone who has played 1000+ arty games.

Examples:

And there's even more on that channel and gfycat.

It's just a retarded mechanic and there's no denying, no matter how many nice "how to avoid arty" tips you give

And @neokai: I've played the FV207 and FV3805 quite extensively, 400 games total, both are decent arty pieces but nowhere near OP and it's retarded easy to oneshot shit, especially when there's exposed brawling areas pubbies don't even need to lead anything, just hold the reticle over a tank and click. I get 2350 dpg in the 3805 eventhough I usually only play it when I'm on tilt or don't want to concentrate on playing properly.

34 minutes ago, the_bolshevik said:

Many moons ago I too have dabbled in the dark arts, but not enough to fully grasp them and become a good arty player. I only did the Hummel and GW.Panther and it wasn't long before I sold them. Plainly put, I sucked at it, and thought it was too boring to be worth my time.

So I chose a different approach to arty. Instead of learning their shit to be more arty safe, I play stupidly aggressive, often as if arty wasn't even there. Now that's not to say I won't take cover behind a rock or go dark for thirty seconds when I know they're looking for me, but in general I'll value aggression over safety. I tend to ping the map at the hotspot I intend to be brawling at and do my best to get the pubbies to yolo with me. And playing like this I am often able to create blowouts within the first few minutes of the battle. The nice thing about blowouts is that they largely remove arty from the game. It leaves them with one or two shots to make a difference before their team is vaporized.

There is nothing sweeter than enemy arty crying in chat that "team sucked gg" because the game is starting to blow out my way.

Reminds me of one game I had in my cromwell - arctic, went north full yolo mode 100m+ ahead of everyone else, dealt ~2k dmg and some assist without losing a single hp, went in to finish t-34/85 that hid behind a b4-5 corner, stopped for a second, killed him.

Once I pressed w again to start roflstomping the rest of the enemy team I was blown up by m12. Stahp kemping they say...

I'm glad this thread is getting taken so well.

I agree so much with this in that, I believe one of the best way to avoid getting hit by arty, is to learn how to play arty.  No one is telling you that you have to, but learning: how arty plays on specific maps, how long you have when you are lit for them to properly aim on you, what arties just don't have the arc to hit you in certain places, etc, you pick up SO MUCH that you can use when playing any other tank.

I tell people to play arty and get an idea all the time, but all they do is whine and bitch about arty like the rest, then continue to play extremely predictably and take zero caution against arty.  When you see arty on the other team, and you know what that arty can do, you'll respect it and drive in a preventative manner, lowering the amount of game crippling shots in your sessions.

All I see are people blindly bandwagonning on the arty hate, while taking little to no effort to actual prevent it in their game play.  If you don't constantly think about it or respect arty and factor it into your play, then you are the easiest farm for arty players.  If anything, by taking no effort to stop them from shooting you, you're promoting more arty play and making their lives easier by being ignorant.

I mix in arty to my sessions all the time, because the meta changes constantly: patches change maps, common positions, key points on maps, and even mechanics, and it's important to see the large picture of the game to play well.  Which is why I also encourage people to play different areas of the map that they may not have before, just to get an idea of why it may be good or bad, its influence on the rest of the map, and how you can abuse it from the other side.  Sometimes it's worth going out of your way to learn something that will improve your play in the long run.  What do you learn from getting hung up and angry from getting hit by arty?  Accept it happened, and think about what you could have done, where you were that was vulnerable, were you stopping while lit?  Be productive with your time, not angry and tilted.

You can whine and bitch about arty ruining the game, but if you let it stop you from playing or tilt you, you've already lost.  Just learn to adapt to the game, or become the farmed pubbie and be happy with your ignorant play because you're not willing to adapt.

And even if you have gotten better at dodging or avoiding getting hit, as your stats go up or you're in a better clan, you tend to get focused more, but at least you're getting hit a fraction less than you would have been.  And sometimes that hard earned fraction less is the difference between purple and dark purple in performance consistency.

What's really eyeopening is to play one of the high trajectory arty's like the bert.  Then you understand if you get hit by one, you'd better move away right the hell now or that arty is going to rain on you every few seconds and there's no cover.  The only defense is to move and let him pick somebody easier to shoot at.