Acumen

So is AW NA already dead?

2 hours ago, breeeze said:

Legitimately curious since something like this was recently hinted at by the devs:

Do you think releasing AW to Steam would significantly improve the situation on NA?

It can. Or it can destroy it faster than the decreasing population does. tbh, if 0.16 contains enough bugfixes, has some more balancing in it, and the competitive mode is done properly, then it will help - a lot. If 0.16 is shit and they release it to steam anyways, the game will die.

EU might be in trouble as well.  Twice this week I couldn't sleep so I logged into EU.  This was 9-11 in the morning depending where you're at in the EU which isn't that early (you can get quick games on NA W at that time and I recall pop numbers dropping to 2k or less).  There was no one on.  Maybe 30 folks in queue spread out across the tiers.

Yesterday, during prime time hours in EU, I was thrown into a 2-tier spread match (which the devs have admitted they don't  balance vehicles for).  WTF?  That's supposedly an NA issue, not something the 'healthy' EU server has to deal with.

It's really a shame.  Since they killed their skill-based MM last patch the game has been much more enjoyable.  Sadly that failed experiment seems to have driven off players even on EU.

Well Obsidian needs to inform the community what their road plan for the game is because throwing shit out the door people didn't ask for is really starting to get on peoples nerves.

I can see reason for their new reload system which is great at reducing ttk but its unfairly applied to vehicles in the game, auto loading tanks barely suffered from it compared to clip based auto cannons and artillery pieces which got hit the hardest, ATGM launchers have to be alpha stacked now. Loader based tanks got hit a little here that their auto loading counterparts are superior to them in terms of dpm and alpha cough cough Russian tanks.  They introduce the system and say oh you wanted to refit your vehicles your going have to wait for 0.16 when we introduce our new storage system. Oh we removed credit bonuses for first win in pve here have a poorly thought out daily mission system that only offers you 100,000 credits for killing one specific type of vehicle a number of times that you have to aggressively compete against teammates to achieve. I'm sorry but tier 10s are fun and shit but their big guns really shit on their lower tier counterparts, There is really no other option but to go big or go home in terms of gun choice on tier 10 MBTs, its about alpha strikes now in the pvp fights now.     

2 hours ago, Illy said:

Yesterday, during prime time hours in EU, I was thrown into a 2-tier spread match (which the devs have admitted they don't  balance vehicles for).  WTF?  That's supposedly an NA issue, not something the 'healthy' EU server has to deal with.

I reinstalled AW for the first time in months due to removal of SIMM. Within a week I went from mostly T5 matches to over half T7 matches during EU prime time in my ERC/Fox. 

Although the experience was a little better right after the patch, the game is is just lacking on so many levels... It feels empty, and lol wtf highwall? What were they thinking with that map. Any way, won't be bothered again to reinstall. AW just keeps disappointing...

On 5/9/2016 at 7:11 AM, breeeze said:

Legitimately curious since something like this was recently hinted at by the devs:

Do you think releasing AW to Steam would significantly improve the situation on NA?

No.  I think that ship has sailed.  A Steam release could have saved it when it was still playable like 5+ months ago.  A Steam release now would be about as effective as a Steam release of All Points Bulletin or some other such game with ~100 active players. 

It's a shame, the game beats WoT any day if they managed it properly.  I can't even play WoT anymore, the whole balance RoF and everyone penning everyone all the time at 1/5th the speed with Nintendo NES engine is dull. 

They have another survey up that includes a good many of the issues that plague PvP in the last section (you rate what you think are most important).  Would probably help if folks jumped in, mentioned they haven't played in ages (last time played is one of the first questions), and listed those issues at the top.

problem with AW is that they made mistakes that a game coming 5 years after WoT is not allowed to make. Fucked up balance, no end tier, constant changing of how shit works, bugs that take waaay to long to fix etc etc...

its like if Sony were to release a phone that didnt have wifi and no touch screen... no one would buy it, even if Sony said that its was there first one and that they are trying really hard so that eventually it would be up to the standard of the competition.

To be honest the high tier balance isn't that bad. Sure there are pretty obvious problems but most of the issues people complain are pure and simple l2p problems coupled with some really bad maps (cold strike and highwall namely). I also have this feeling that Obsidian still has the singleplayer focused mindset when it comes to the whole beta and they seem to actually be testing things and changing stuff a lot while players aren't really used to that in free to play game and see the beta as just a soft launch. Too bad the NA population seems to be either more sensitive about these things or just not that into tank games in general.

17 minutes ago, Daroc said:

To be honest the high tier balance isn't that bad. Sure there are pretty obvious problems but most of the issues people complain are pure and simple l2p problems coupled with some really bad maps (cold strike and highwall namely). I also have this feeling that Obsidian still has the singleplayer focused mindset when it comes to the whole beta and they seem to actually be testing things and changing stuff a lot while players aren't really used to that in free to play game and see the beta as just a soft launch. Too bad the NA population seems to be either more sensitive about these things or just not that into tank games in general.

Treating any PvP game as a 'soft launch' or generally screwing over your early audience is commercial suicide, as the only way PvP games gain in popularity is early word of mouth and positive press (unless you spend HUGE amounts on advertising, which generally defeats the logic of a F2P game, as there is no up front $60 purchase to offset these costs).

They should have focused on producing something that worked to begin with, and gone from there. Fuck high tier content if it destroys the fun - they should have gone up in tier increments, making sure each tier was balanced and any other issues with the game were ironed out before people spent countless hours grinding for certain tanks, retrofits etc. which later become useless or completely different to what they wanted.

This is a case study for business 101: how to fuck up a F2P game launch.

Yeah tiers 9 and 10 were introduced too fast for the population but I'm fairly certain that russian market and that tank factory sponsoring the whole thing had an impact on it. It would've been much better for the game if they'd kept tier 8 as top, not given out so ridiculous amounts of xp through events and diversify those tiers first. Then again, I don't honestly feel that the high tier balance is especially bad compared to lets say wot which has been balanced for ages. As far as balancing goes I think the people responsible for it probably aren't all that great at the game and just stare at the numbers and then resort to stupid "lets give it more hp/pen" fixes. I've used the centauro 120 as an example before but it pretty much sums everything up pretty well.

I concur.  The game is significantly better mechanically than WoT, they've just mismanaged it.  Having tanks that can actually move at tank speeds and turn at tank speeds all on a nice game engine, makes it impossible to go back to WoT.  WoWS has been my compromise. 

The worst thing they could have done is ignore the population though and pretend it will get better at "release".  So many good games have died doing that and the very few like Marvel Heroes who did everything right to fix it and become popular again, probably never did get numbers like they could have had with a better launch. 

I don't even mind sticking to a given tier like 6 in AW if it's popular, but no game is worth waiting 10-15 minutes between matches all for an imbalanced 7v7.  It's interesting to have armor and different shell types that actually matter in the game, instead of the WoT, everybody pen everybody's lower plate or major frontal weak spot.  Though I'm definitely not sure what determines why a M1A1 has a 12 pixel weak driver's hatch as opposed to a Challenger 1 having a 4 pixel weak hatch and a Chally 2 having the same layout with more like an 8 pixel weak spot in the same hatch. 

So as I play around with lumberyard tools (amazon's free version of cryengine), why not just remake AW as a ground up grind-less esport ala CSGO or MOBA-ish. The vehicle models AW bought aren't super expensive and need to be configured but overall this doesn't look that complex to build a game such as WoT in cryengine. Especially if you don't need to deal with creating overly complicated corridor maps or ai logic. And of course no arty.

On 5/23/2016 at 11:38 AM, Vitellius9 said:

It's interesting to have armor and different shell types that actually matter in the game, instead of the WoT, everybody pen everybody's lower plate or major frontal weak spot. 

Actually that's one thing I wish they'd learn from WoT.  Having a few weakspots that are just a few pixels in size and have them be the same location on every tank is boring.  WoT at least has enough vehicles where you actually have to do a bit of homework to know where to pen.  Leads to a bit of more varied gameplay.

Then again the above could just be the bitterness speaking through me since given my connection from west coast US to the EU server, coupled to shot delay, makes playing anything higher than tier 5 impossible.

Still, if they make some balance tweaks (like kill the fucking WZ already) even with shot delay tier 5 is fairly solid gameplay.  There's some hope for the game but they're running out of time.

It might be time to throw EU into the title of this thread.

Every day for the last week, while playing during EU prime time hours, I've gotten multiple 2-tier spread games.  At this time of day the PvP queue could approach 200.  Today it's barely been above 100.

Is this just fallout from that fiasco this last weekend or something else?  Is AW EU in trouble as well or just a temporary setback while folks try out Overwatch?

Your seeing the affect of pissing off customers, they decide to close the main thread on the forums discussing this issue. Its Tuesday and they still have issued an apology or clarification what they plan to do now. 

I love the new challenger 2 ATDU Nerf they made /s

they say its an over match issue which occurred in 0.15 where the leopard 2a5 and 2a6 could be penetrated in the front drive wheel with ease except with the Challenger 2 ADTU its the top of the track guides for the front sides of the frontal glacis  not covered with dorchester and the corner of the gunner sight. So if this issue had occurred before in previous patches why the fuck is it back and why the hell are you waiting for 0.16 to fix this shit. I remember clearly the released an hotfix to fix the Leo tanks. So if its the only tier 10 to have this issue why is it not fixed.        

I actually gave up myself, even tho the game is still fun and imho better than wot despite the issues it has. However, the publisher is just as bad, if not worse than WG and I really can't be bothered to overlook their bullshit and pay for prem anymore, so I left as well.

17 hours ago, EndlessAgony said:

I actually gave up myself, even tho the game is still fun and imho better than wot despite the issues it has. However, the publisher is just as bad, if not worse than WG and I really can't be bothered to overlook their bullshit and pay for prem anymore, so I left as well.

why didn't you answer my message cunt:cri:

but yeah, Obsidian has been mostly doing good changes in the right direction with every patch, meanwhile mycom is doing their best to run it into the ground, the way they fucked up that flash sale is ridiculous, especially after having already screwed up so much previously.

I haven't played this game in over 3 months and I can't see myself going back...

On 6/3/2016 at 6:05 AM, breeeze said:

Obsidian has been mostly doing good changes in the right direction with every patch

I'm not seeing where folks are getting this from, at least in regards to PvP.

I started playing right before 0.13 hit.  That abomination of a patch introduced MM 2.0 which almost drove me away from the game.  There was also the introduction of Coastal Threat (terrible) and the WZ (just what the game needed, an OP P2W premium...).  Patch 0.14 introduced Highwall (another terrible map) and replays.  Replays are nice, don't get me wrong, but not an issue or feature that was going to stop players from leaving.

Finally, in 0.15, came the first thing they did that I consider a positive move - they killed skill-based MM.  In the ~5 months I've been playing that's one good thing they've done (which was simply unfucking their own fuckup) with their patches whereas nothing was done in that time frame in regards to shot delay, terrible balance issues, and all the other major issues that have been identified for a while.

What were all these positive moves OE supposedly made?  I just don't see them.  I've been in other beta tests (even though I don't buy that AW is, despite what they say) where more was done in the same time frame.

I'm still struggling to see how EU 'is doing fine' when I played eight games just now, during prime time EU hours, and three of them were 2-tier spread (while in a tier 5).  If the pop is supposedly stable then their MM needs a lot of work.  Horribad games like the above are why I ditched NA back in the day.

I stopped playing AW when the NA server death was in its early stages. I'd like to hope the game can be revived, if only because competition (especially for the modern tank version of WoT that WG has planned) tends to be a good thing. Obsidian pls.