Sign in to follow this  
CrashAndBurn

Please help me play better in batchat25t

Any help to improve, and what I did wrong would be appreciated.

Let the criticism flow.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2553767#malinovka-crashandburn-bat_-ch_tillon_25_t

Just some background:

I'm relatively new to the batchat, currently with a shitty w/r. I understand the tank to be a tier 10 light to spot early on and get flank/snipe shots on enemies unaware...

I'm pretty shit in terms of like map positioning and stuff like that right now.

<-- 2k batchat games and 3MoE'd 3 batchats

I would not suggest playing it as a light tank at all. It's got its own niche and you need to use it. 

What separates this autoloader from other autoloaders are mainly the absolutely horrendous gun handling and a pretty long interclip reload, which means you can't do like a TVP and take a hit from that 62a and put 4 back, but instead you have to use the speed and camo to get your shots in. Your DPM is low but the potential clip damage is 1950 which means you can almost single out a T10 medium but getting in those shots safely is the trick, also making sure you hit them. 

The Bat really needs a good crew, you'll want everything to max gun handling out, but also repairs and camo, and I'd go for maxing gun handling (VStab, GLD) and then either vents or optics depending on whether you use food or not. (If you do, vents will put you at 445m VR anyway, and the gun handling boost is noticeable, especially with BiA) And once you have that the tank actually gets pretty easy to play. You have an easy time finding damage thanks to your speed, and you're dealing more damage in the engagements than your teammates thanks to your autoloader meaning you benefit a lot from it. 

I personally try to find a single target in the beginning, somewhere decently safe where I can pull my whole clip out and depending on how many shots hit, I usually stay pretty passive during mid game and take whatever free damage comes my way. I want to save my HP for incoming end game yolos where I can really start to farm my full clips out. I rarely even go for spotting at all unless it's a vision oriented map because no matter how you put it, the batchat gun is more useful than most single shot tanks in the very situation it can start shooting.

What you shouldn't do:

• Trade, your reload is still long meaning they'll easily have time to pull back which is a bad trade for you.
  • Overextend - a lot of players usually yolo for the first clip and then die, or just barely manage to get out alive afterwards. This is not something you want, yolos are the very last thing you should do so early in a game without intel.
  • Waste your shells on low odds shots - you only have 30, and I've run out on several occasions resulting in losses that would've been wins if I had been more careful in the beginning
  • Fight other autoloaders - all T10 autoloaders have better gun handling than you, and short of the Foch, they all outclass you in terms of reload meaning you literally can't trade with them

What you should do:

• Track enemies - you have 5 shells and even if the track isn't a pen, you'll net more damage in the long run by being able to aim in fully on a target that isn't moving, and you can use your clip to keep him tracked, might even farm some assisted damage along the way
  • Relocate a lot. When you're on reload you have a lot of time to think and figure out where your next clip can be put in, and use that time you're useless anyway to find the best possible position for your next clip. Gotta think ahead here and read the teams. 
  • Drive backwards out of cover - your turret is mounted on the back which means less exposure for the same firing angle
  • Select your targets well - if you have several targets to choose at, there's a few things you want to consider: 1) Probability of pen 2) HP 3) Enemy gun and how dangerous it is. You don't shoot at targets you know you can't pen in this, ever. Go for the easier shots instead, preferably shaving off a good chunk of HP from a tough heavy you have sideshots on instead of the paper medium right next to it even though you might have been able to kill that one in a single clip. But if you have an FV 183 or a Waffle E 100 coming out, those needs to die first, those guns are absolute cancer to the game and removing them helps both yourself and the team immensely. 
  • Use the "C" key to force a drum reload, and decide right away whether you want to fire that last shell in your clip or if it's better to not waste the time and simply reload and go somewhere for a full clip as early as possible (you'll find this really useful in other autoloaders too)

And that's about it. Of course you can sub as a light tank if need be, but it really shouldn't be your go to move in a game.

44 minutes ago, Kolni said:

I would not suggest playing it as a light tank at all. It's got its own niche and you need to use it. 

What separates this autoloader from other autoloaders are mainly the absolutely horrendous gun handling and a pretty long interclip reload, which means you can't do like a TVP and take a hit from that 62a and put 4 back, but instead you have to use the speed and camo to get your shots in. Your DPM is low but the potential clip damage is 1950 which means you can almost single out a T10 medium but getting in those shots safely is the trick, also making sure you hit them. 

The Bat really needs a good crew, you'll want everything to max gun handling out, but also repairs and camo, and I'd go for maxing gun handling (VStab, GLD) and then either vents or optics depending on whether you use food or not. (If you do, vents will put you at 445m VR anyway, and the gun handling boost is noticeable, especially with BiA) And once you have that the tank actually gets pretty easy to play. You have an easy time finding damage thanks to your speed, and you're dealing more damage in the engagements than your teammates thanks to your autoloader meaning you benefit a lot from it. 

I personally try to find a single target in the beginning, somewhere decently safe where I can pull my whole clip out and depending on how many shots hit, I usually stay pretty passive during mid game and take whatever free damage comes my way. I want to save my HP for incoming end game yolos where I can really start to farm my full clips out. I rarely even go for spotting at all unless it's a vision oriented map because no matter how you put it, the batchat gun is more useful than most single shot tanks in the very situation it can start shooting.

I usually try to get spots in the beginning, if there aren't any light tanks available. For example, Lakeville mid. Or should I not be doing this at all?

My Current Equipment: Vstab, Vents, Optics

Currently my crew skills: (female crew btw - Sisterhood of Steel)

-BIA, 6th Sense, Camo

-BIA, Camo, Snapshot

-BIA, Cam, Repair

Do I need to respec these? I know repair is really important, but I was thinking I'd prioritize camo first.

If you have time, can you check out the replay I have posted above and give me feedback on that?

9 minutes ago, CrashAndBurn said:

I usually try to get spots in the beginning, if there aren't any light tanks available. For example, Lakeville mid. Or should I not be doing this at all?

My Current Equipment: Vstab, Vents, Optics

Currently my crew skills: (female crew btw - Sisterhood of Steel)

-BIA, 6th Sense, Camo

-BIA, Camo, Snapshot

-BIA, Cam, Repair

Do I need to respec these? I know repair is really important, but I was thinking I'd prioritize camo first.

If you have time, can you check out the replay I have posted above and give me feedback on that?

You need a GLD. Period. 

Crew skils look good so far, I personally mix camo and rep between the crew for the 2nd and 3rd skill but this is alright, I'll check the replay out. 

Regarding the replay:

Initial positioning is alright, I'd have preferred the hill as soon as you realised there were more than a single scout around. Then you spend almost 4 minutes doing absolutely nothing, a spot here and there but you are not productive at all. You should have either gone up the hill or simply just gone in on the people camping on the opposite ridge and applied pressure since the guys up north were busy dealing with your guys. Put a clip, and hang around the ridges for cover or simply just run away again.

What happened instead was that you sat back for too long, making you about as useful as a red pubbie for 4 minutes of the game, while defending was the right call the damage there literally ran into you. If they hadn't come up against you (which they shouldn't have, had they been even remotely not retarded) your game would have been shit damage wise. 

You also decided to rely on your clip to take on two tanks at the same time, both aiming at you, raping your HP completely. While you got them down, you quickly realised that if you had just a little more HP that game would've been a win right? Damage is great but conserving HP>dealing damage in certain situations, and that was one of them.

small tips:

you should have forced a reload right away after shooting that 13 90, and gone up the hill instead IMO

don't ever go into their cap only to leave again because it'll just give away where you or at least a tank from your team are

that platoon setup is destined to get fucked over by maps, 3 paper meds is just asking to get clicked and focused while also not having a chance in hell of carrying on some of the maps, meaning you'll lose some maps by default simply because you can't play your tanks there 

4 hours ago, Kolni said:

<-- 2k batchat games and 3MoE'd 3 batchats

What you shouldn't do:

• Trade, your reload is still long meaning they'll easily have time to pull back which is a bad trade for you.
  • Overextend - a lot of players usually yolo for the first clip and then die, or just barely manage to get out alive afterwards. This is not something you want, yolos are the very last thing you should do so early in a game without intel.
  • Waste your shells on low odds shots - you only have 30, and I've run out on several occasions resulting in losses that would've been wins if I had been more careful in the beginning
  • Fight other autoloaders - all T10 autoloaders have better gun handling than you, and short of the Foch, they all outclass you in terms of reload meaning you literally can't trade with them

What you should do:

• Track enemies - you have 5 shells and even if the track isn't a pen, you'll net more damage in the long run by being able to aim in fully on a target that isn't moving, and you can use your clip to keep him tracked, might even farm some assisted damage along the way
  • Relocate a lot. When you're on reload you have a lot of time to think and figure out where your next clip can be put in, and use that time you're useless anyway to find the best possible position for your next clip. Gotta think ahead here and read the teams. 
  • Drive backwards out of cover - your turret is mounted on the back which means less exposure for the same firing angle
  • Select your targets well - if you have several targets to choose at, there's a few things you want to consider: 1) Probability of pen 2) HP 3) Enemy gun and how dangerous it is. You don't shoot at targets you know you can't pen in this, ever. Go for the easier shots instead, preferably shaving off a good chunk of HP from a tough heavy you have sideshots on instead of the paper medium right next to it even though you might have been able to kill that one in a single clip. But if you have an FV 183 or a Waffle E 100 coming out, those needs to die first, those guns are absolute cancer to the game and removing them helps both yourself and the team immensely. 
  • Use the "C" key to force a drum reload, and decide right away whether you want to fire that last shell in your clip or if it's better to not waste the time and simply reload and go somewhere for a full clip as early as possible (you'll find this really useful in other autoloaders too)

And that's about it. Of course you can sub as a light tank if need be, but it really shouldn't be your go to move in a game.

Very useful info, thank you!

Someone get Kolni a goddamn cookie!

A+ write up, thank you! I was thinking similar thoughts, but questioning my own logic and going back and forth in my own head. This post answered a lot of my hunches, and I was originally right. I need to stop going full on "damage mode" in batchat, and save my HP for end game.

I did notice, playing the batchat gets a lot easier when there are less guns on the battlefield.

If you ever played any MMO RPG's, this is the "assassin" class. Sneeky, deadly, huge dps capability, no armor+no hp. However, in Batchat, there is NO mitigating opportunity like assassins get (block/evade whatever). You're only defensive tool is not being seen, and HP pool.

3 minutes ago, Matross said:

You're only defensive tool is not being seen, and HP pool.

Not entirely, you can out-drive a lot of damage. Check out straik's youtube archives or some recent stuff from @canadianimpact on twitch to see some masterful batchat positioning. Terrain, space and time are all things the batchat can use to play defense while staying active. 

I watched the replay.

While Kolni's points are all valid in general, for this specific player, I give a different diagnosis:  I believe the OP even identified his own issues with why he isn't able to play the tank - he doesn't understand basics on how to play a light tank well (in the real sense, not just WN8 bullshit farming styles).  It's clear from his behavior in the replay that he doesn't know relative distances, areas, and how to control vision on the map.  Keep in mind, this is Malinovka, which is an absolute skate park for a tank like this, yet here he is drawing out a match against a donkey-blind Waffle IV.

Kolni brings up guidelines that you should adhere to for dealing out damage, but here we should also be addressing the specific flaws in why this player isn't playing it well.  The tank is truly a hybrid at its tier - it does have the abilities of both a true light (unmatched speed and camo) and a medium (damage, but in this case with no armor).  I think people here ad naseum obsess over how to dish out more dmg because it inevitably leads to a prettier looking WN8, which as a byproduct, is also why many players are shit clueless on how to scout.

I would advise you to do two things:

1. Bring a buddy/toonmate into the training room and simply use your batchat to drive around and learn where the bushes and bumps are.  Everywhere on the map.  Then start testing these bushes and ranges against his tank, and also mixing it up with various types of tanks.  Pay attention to the distances, which you can see in any client, even vanilla.  Look at your minimap and count the number of squares between you and the tank that is lighting you.

2.  Try to do similar, but in your actual matches with your meds and light tanks.  I can see from your game breakdown that you've mostly played heavies, and not so much at tier 10.  Also, spend some time in t8 lights.  Because you will be seeing much of the same tiers due to scout mm, that will be good practice, so that when you switch into a better tank, i.e. the batchat, you will have (hopefully) improved in areas that you were lacking before. 

Specifically addressing the replay:

For the first five minutes of the game, you literally spend it on one tiny little 20 meter bit of the map, while getting lit 4 different times during that span.  That is literally blood red levels of play.  Do not ever expect to be successful or survive against (even slightly) better players doing that.  You are in (one of) the fastest damn tank(s) in the game - RELOCATE, REPOSITION.  Kolni is right in saying that you should have clipped, and visited the hill.  That you only took one shot of dmg from a waffle that was staring at your obviously blown position, literally 4 minutes of parking on your ass, was lucky as all hell in my book.  

Even despite being a stationary cannon (your tank is about to grow roots from being planted there for so long) for those first 5 minutes, your team is ahead 4 tanks.  The score is 7-3 and your team controls the powerful NE hilltop on malinovka.  What do you do with that advantage?  Nothing.  This should literally have been a walkthrough into an easy 15-3 win, but you're never up front providing any vision, never threatening any positions.  You simply hang back, and wait for disaster to come.  If you had driven up to D6, C6 (this takes knowing how to play a light tank, or vision control in general - think here who wants to push against an autolader when they're down 4 tanks?), the game probably would have been an easy win.  Instead you do some fiddling around, drive back to base inexplicably, and in 90 seconds, the entire lead has been squandered.  And your toonmates do your enemies the favor of giving up hill.  Great job.

At the 8:00 mark, during your reload, why aren't you providing vision for your teammates? There are literally tons of ways to keep that clueless AMX 50 120 and waffle permalit, yet you hide so far back, unnecessarily, because again, you're not sure what bushes work and how to see down into your own base. 

8-6:00 Is lots of cringeworthy play (or perhaps I could say the entire 15 minutes was).  Yes, you kill these tanks because they're likely red/orange/yellow players, but you drive into positions that just lock up your tank and cede so much territory of the map.  Then at 6:00, for a full minute you guys loaf around on this narrow, uncovered strip, next to the water.

I have no clue why at the 5:00 mark you drive up to their cap circle, shouting out to the enemy HEY I'M HERE.  You can drive around the entire map invisible, yet you want to announce to your opponents your exact position?  WTF.  AND YET, the waffle still can't even see you!  From 277 meters away!  Do you notice this at all?!  You could have easily used the house at D2, or gone up from B2 (without giving away your position) and just wiped his ass clean.  Instead, you hastily drive back to your own cap circle (again), blow 3 killshots on an E50M - you have him fully reset, why are you rushing?  And then you park in the wide open for the full 40 seconds to reload.  I mean this is mind boggingly bad decision, after decision.

And even with all that, you still have a chance to win ffs!  After killing the E50M on the cap circle, why do you clip, when you have 4 rounds in your chamber and the timer says 2:30?  Why the heck are you doing this when all it takes is 3 shots to kill a blind, unarmored tank?  And then you drive within 250 meters of the waffle, and AGAIN, he CAN'T SEE YOU!  For whatever reason, yet again you drive yourself into a stuck close quarters position.  Just go 380-400 meters away and clip him out.  Instead, you sit frightened in between a building, letting the time tick away.  And when it's already too late, time to drive out for that draw!

In regards to your equipment - I've seen both type of setups for the batchat - Vert stab, vents, and toss-up between optics or gld, depending on playstyle or sometimes how good your crew is.

Finally, if you want, I can PM you links to my two most recent batchat games, which were both ace tanker games, and demonstrate how you should be approaching matches via a light/medium hybrid mentality.  If you would like to view them, just ask.  I use optics on my tank in case you're wondering.  Good luck.

Watched the replay, and my one word as a not that good BC player myself would be indecisiveness. At the beginning you are not really doing anything, and later into game mostly driving back and forth. Sure, Malinovka is one of the few maps where BC can really win in the late game, so maybe waiting a bit in the beginning is not as bad...but still. And yeah, you had so many options in the end against that WT that he shouldn't have had any change...and you decided to do nothing. :) You knew where he was and he didn't spot you, and you have way faster tank with better camo and way better viewrange in Malinovka...not much more you can ask for.

Personally I liked when you pushed into that WZ and RHM, they really needed to die there fast. And at least you were doing something :) 

On 3/18/2016 at 4:47 AM, Kolni said:
Spoiler

Regarding the replay:

Initial positioning is alright, I'd have preferred the hill as soon as you realised there were more than a single scout around. Then you spend almost 4 minutes doing absolutely nothing, a spot here and there but you are not productive at all. You should have either gone up the hill or simply just gone in on the people camping on the opposite ridge and applied pressure since the guys up north were busy dealing with your guys. Put a clip, and hang around the ridges for cover or simply just run away again.

What happened instead was that you sat back for too long, making you about as useful as a red pubbie for 4 minutes of the game, while defending was the right call the damage there literally ran into you. If they hadn't come up against you (which they shouldn't have, had they been even remotely not retarded) your game would have been shit damage wise. 

You also decided to rely on your clip to take on two tanks at the same time, both aiming at you, raping your HP completely. While you got them down, you quickly realised that if you had just a little more HP that game would've been a win right? Damage is great but conserving HP>dealing damage in certain situations, and that was one of them.

small tips:

you should have forced a reload right away after shooting that 13 90, and gone up the hill instead IMO

don't ever go into their cap only to leave again because it'll just give away where you or at least a tank from your team are

that platoon setup is destined to get fucked over by maps, 3 paper meds is just asking to get clicked and focused while also not having a chance in hell of carrying on some of the maps, meaning you'll lose some maps by default simply because you can't play your tanks there 

@Kolni

Thanks for the feedback C:

Regarding corridor maps, do you have any advice on how to play those on the batchat? say like Himmelsdorf, Ensk, Abbey, Stalingrad?

On 3/19/2016 at 3:50 AM, joovenile said:
Spoiler

I watched the replay.

While Kolni's points are all valid in general, for this specific player, I give a different diagnosis:  I believe the OP even identified his own issues with why he isn't able to play the tank - he doesn't understand basics on how to play a light tank well (in the real sense, not just WN8 bullshit farming styles).  It's clear from his behavior in the replay that he doesn't know relative distances, areas, and how to control vision on the map.  Keep in mind, this is Malinovka, which is an absolute skate park for a tank like this, yet here he is drawing out a match against a donkey-blind Waffle IV.

Kolni brings up guidelines that you should adhere to for dealing out damage, but here we should also be addressing the specific flaws in why this player isn't playing it well.  The tank is truly a hybrid at its tier - it does have the abilities of both a true light (unmatched speed and camo) and a medium (damage, but in this case with no armor).  I think people here ad naseum obsess over how to dish out more dmg because it inevitably leads to a prettier looking WN8, which as a byproduct, is also why many players are shit clueless on how to scout.

I would advise you to do two things:

1. Bring a buddy/toonmate into the training room and simply use your batchat to drive around and learn where the bushes and bumps are.  Everywhere on the map.  Then start testing these bushes and ranges against his tank, and also mixing it up with various types of tanks.  Pay attention to the distances, which you can see in any client, even vanilla.  Look at your minimap and count the number of squares between you and the tank that is lighting you.

2.  Try to do similar, but in your actual matches with your meds and light tanks.  I can see from your game breakdown that you've mostly played heavies, and not so much at tier 10.  Also, spend some time in t8 lights.  Because you will be seeing much of the same tiers due to scout mm, that will be good practice, so that when you switch into a better tank, i.e. the batchat, you will have (hopefully) improved in areas that you were lacking before. 

Specifically addressing the replay:

For the first five minutes of the game, you literally spend it on one tiny little 20 meter bit of the map, while getting lit 4 different times during that span.  That is literally blood red levels of play.  Do not ever expect to be successful or survive against (even slightly) better players doing that.  You are in (one of) the fastest damn tank(s) in the game - RELOCATE, REPOSITION.  Kolni is right in saying that you should have clipped, and visited the hill.  That you only took one shot of dmg from a waffle that was staring at your obviously blown position, literally 4 minutes of parking on your ass, was lucky as all hell in my book.  

Even despite being a stationary cannon (your tank is about to grow roots from being planted there for so long) for those first 5 minutes, your team is ahead 4 tanks.  The score is 7-3 and your team controls the powerful NE hilltop on malinovka.  What do you do with that advantage?  Nothing.  This should literally have been a walkthrough into an easy 15-3 win, but you're never up front providing any vision, never threatening any positions.  You simply hang back, and wait for disaster to come.  If you had driven up to D6, C6 (this takes knowing how to play a light tank, or vision control in general - think here who wants to push against an autolader when they're down 4 tanks?), the game probably would have been an easy win.  Instead you do some fiddling around, drive back to base inexplicably, and in 90 seconds, the entire lead has been squandered.  And your toonmates do your enemies the favor of giving up hill.  Great job.

At the 8:00 mark, during your reload, why aren't you providing vision for your teammates? There are literally tons of ways to keep that clueless AMX 50 120 and waffle permalit, yet you hide so far back, unnecessarily, because again, you're not sure what bushes work and how to see down into your own base. 

8-6:00 Is lots of cringeworthy play (or perhaps I could say the entire 15 minutes was).  Yes, you kill these tanks because they're likely red/orange/yellow players, but you drive into positions that just lock up your tank and cede so much territory of the map.  Then at 6:00, for a full minute you guys loaf around on this narrow, uncovered strip, next to the water.

I have no clue why at the 5:00 mark you drive up to their cap circle, shouting out to the enemy HEY I'M HERE.  You can drive around the entire map invisible, yet you want to announce to your opponents your exact position?  WTF.  AND YET, the waffle still can't even see you!  From 277 meters away!  Do you notice this at all?!  You could have easily used the house at D2, or gone up from B2 (without giving away your position) and just wiped his ass clean.  Instead, you hastily drive back to your own cap circle (again), blow 3 killshots on an E50M - you have him fully reset, why are you rushing?  And then you park in the wide open for the full 40 seconds to reload.  I mean this is mind boggingly bad decision, after decision.

And even with all that, you still have a chance to win ffs!  After killing the E50M on the cap circle, why do you clip, when you have 4 rounds in your chamber and the timer says 2:30?  Why the heck are you doing this when all it takes is 3 shots to kill a blind, unarmored tank?  And then you drive within 250 meters of the waffle, and AGAIN, he CAN'T SEE YOU!  For whatever reason, yet again you drive yourself into a stuck close quarters position.  Just go 380-400 meters away and clip him out.  Instead, you sit frightened in between a building, letting the time tick away.  And when it's already too late, time to drive out for that draw!

In regards to your equipment - I've seen both type of setups for the batchat - Vert stab, vents, and toss-up between optics or gld, depending on playstyle or sometimes how good your crew is.

Finally, if you want, I can PM you links to my two most recent batchat games, which were both ace tanker games, and demonstrate how you should be approaching matches via a light/medium hybrid mentality.  If you would like to view them, just ask.  I use optics on my tank in case you're wondering.  Good luck

@joovenile

It's exactly like you said, I don't really know the distances, areas or how to vision control the map. I think I was mostly afraid of not knowing exactly where to go and also being scared of getting shot at. I'll have to check out malinovka with a buddy sometime this week. Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding corridor maps, do you have any advice on how to play those on the batchat? say like Himmelsdorf, Ensk, Abbey, Stalingrad?

O and if you don't mind PMing me those replays that would be amazing C:

45 minutes ago, CrashAndBurn said:

@Kolni

Thanks for the feedback C:

It's different from map to map. The Bat is pretty much screwed over by Abbey, where the middle is the only real area where you can get full clips out consistently without having to wait a minute in between shots because you're locked out. If the middle is taken (I rarely go there anymore, but if I can do it safely I definitely will) your only real option is to play the 1-2 line and take whatever shots you can get. All the other maps have pretty good firing angles and long firing lines as long as you pay attention to where you can actually go. Himmelsdorf is probably the one map being trickier than the other ones though. Stalingrad has so many alternate routes and firing angles that you can get insane amounts of damage in just by using your head to where you can go safely, and the same for Ensk. The middle on Ensk has firing lines into the city, and the other way around as well, my only recomendation here is that you don't play the field because it's 1) garbage 2) the only area arty can reliably hit you. The city is good enough for decent firing lines and like Stalingrad there's many streets you can simply run away or engage from that lets you deal damage while still being reasonably safe.

On 2016-03-19 at 8:50 AM, joovenile said:

-snip-

you say that like there's any other way to play than for wn8 :doge: 

honestly the light tank meta is gone so i'd not give the light tank thing much thought except for maybe 2-3 maps in the entire game meaning this is just a medium autoloader to me for 95% of the time. 

In corridor/close quarters maps, you can do extremely well by being a flanker or secondary liner.  Because the big heavies tend to have 11-18 second reloads, you oftentimes wait for them to blow shots on your heavies and look for spots to swoop in and get a burst of dmg into them.  You need to be creating a secondary angle of fire to assist/relieve the pressure off of your allied heavies.  In my Live Oaks replay, you can see how I'm close quarters fighting alongside my team's heavies/meds, but I'm coming from a side angle.  And when we have trouble pushing forward, I just loop around and come from another flank.  Remember - you are incredibly fast and oftentimes invisible.  Show up in places where the enemy isn't looking (they're looking at your team's heavies most of the time)

On all four of those maps, there are plenty of places where there are long stretches of fire 400-500 meters.  Ensk has a field side, as well as its middle train car section.  Himmels has shots to and from hill (you can shoot at hill even from the 2 and 3 lines).  Abbey has middle area.  Stalingrad is pretty damn big, so you are responsible for resetting, reinforcing weak areas for your team.  There are many fantastic NA/EU streamers that play batchat/med games.  Study the minimaps and lineups and ask yourself (or the streamers) how/why they determined the positions that they went to.

@Kolni

Again, everything that Kolni did in his writeup is really good, relevant material and needs to become fundamental knowledge for you if you expect to succeed in the bat.  But I think for you (OP), you need to gain an understanding of vision/camo in order to fully 'get' what meds are capable of.

Finally, I will state that it may take hundreds, if not thousands, of games to get to that place where you're comfortable.  I learned much of how to scout maps via trial-and-error.  I would push limits and go to risky places.  Early on I died.  A LOT.  But each time, I took note of where I spawned, the lineups of the enemy team and how fast their tanks were, and would try over and over to make adjustments.  I really think playing a good amount of tier 8 lights will help you improve your t10 med play.  You need to get over that 'fear' hump.  Don't worry about screwing up - you will screw up, undoubtedly.  But take the time to reexamine who spotted you, who shot you from where, etc.  Could you have driven somewhere else?  (The answer is almost always yes.)

Be persistent.  I guarantee, you'll improve no matter what - if you let go of your fears of failure.

22 minutes ago, CrashAndBurn said:

@joovenile @Kolni

Thoughts on ammo loadout?

Currently: 25 APCR, 5 HEAT

I'd much rather go either full APCR like Poltto (I do, but that's a preference due to what you actually shoot at) or do like X3N4 and load 10 HEAT instead

if you'd need that clip and miss a shell or two and still need shells it's nice to not have to fire a drum of only 1-2 shells just to pen what you're shooting

For pubs, I load either 25/5 or 30/0.  I've seen X3N4 (and maybe Straik as well) do his 20/10 loadout, but keep in mind he tends to be more heat/gold heavy, so he's much more accustomed to dealing with issues of using heat.  Personally, I always found the APCR to be all that I needed.  The only times I've loaded 10 or 15 heat is for CW specific setups.

Ammo is very scarce on this tank and you need to make every shot count.  If you can't get reliable pens from one direction - move, relocate, find another angle of approach.  In this tank, you are always able to dictate the terms of engagement because you're the fastest thing out there.  And this doesn't change, even if you're on a brawl-centric map.