Sign in to follow this  
Giftzahn

Getting back into the game after ~5 months...

WoT used to be my single most-played game up until October of last year when Armored Warfare came out.  I basically switched all my focus to the new title and was so happy about with a lot of the new systems that I didn't think I'd ever go back to WoT.  However, lengthy PVP matchmaking cues and a pretty ridiculous credit drought have taken a toll on my excitement and I now find myself installing the newest client from WG after not so much as opening the launcher for five months.  I really like the historic setting better than the modern one, and I'm such a WWII nerd that I guess the return was inevitable, especially now with the new patch I've been reading about on the subreddit.  

My question to the community is this: What's been going on since I left?

I know that the new physics engine is hear and apparently there are new tank lines, but I have no idea how the meta has shifted (if at all) or what new tanks are worth going for.  If anyone could give a summary of what's happened since the Japanese heavies, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Looking forward to once again seeing y'all out there on the battlefield.

P.S. - Please tell me they finally removed the waffle.

New sounds and physics. Czech med line which has shitty lowtiers, meh midtiers (expect T6 is good) and OP top tiers. Tier X is almost as fast as Bat, has 4 shot autoloader, 1.5 sec between shells, 24 sec magazine reload, 320 dmg, good depression and its pretty accurate...

Also Rampage mode which no one plays anymore.

Sadly, Waffle is still here. If WG sticks with original plan though, it is supposed to get replaced next patch.

Things that have changed:

1. More corridor maps introduced and existing ones have been made more corridor-y 
  2. New game breaking CZ med tanks introduced
  3. IS-6 has had an intentional armour buff while the e5 had an accidental one (both OP atm)
  4. New sounds and physics
  5. ESL has jumped from t8 to t10
  6. Loads of new t8 prems have been introduced ($$$)
  7. Cent AX has replaced the FV4202 at tier 10
  8. FV4202 has been made slower with way worse gun and armour and introduced as a t8 prem, of which the NA got free and other servers needed to complete a mission for
  9. No change on the arty balancing
  10. Rampage mode introduced, noone plays it except the greens that are trying to rig missions for the reward tank  

TL:DR Standard balancing mistakes and unwillingness to fix problems with their game that you would expect from WG

22 minutes ago, ollyole said:

Things that have changed:

1. More corridor maps introduced and existing ones have been made more corridor-y 
  2. New game breaking CZ med tanks introduced
  3. IS-6 has had an intentional armour buff while the e5 had an accidental one (both OP atm)
  4. New sounds and physics
  5. ESL has jumped from t8 to t10
  6. Loads of new t8 prems have been introduced ($$$)
  7. Cent AX has replaced the FV4202 at tier 10
  8. FV4202 has been made slower with way worse gun and armour and introduced as a t8 prem, of which the NA got free and other servers needed to complete a mission for
  9. No change on the arty balancing
  10. Rampage mode introduced, noone plays it except the greens that are trying to rig missions for the reward tank  

TL:DR Standard balancing mistakes and unwillingness to fix problems with their game that you would expect from WG

this sums things very well up. 
On EU server, I can add for my own experience
-an even weirder tendency for sniper tonks to release the weirdest of shots,
aka E50-M time and time again having shots that seem to deviate from
the aim by several degrees( I remember Garbad wrote somewhere he got tired of ridicule physics
where guns shooting 45 degrees of aim, now I truly know this horrid feeling)
hidden physics gotten even worse?

-a tendency to extremely unbalanced teams, not with focus on skill but by material.
I dont know if this has to do with smaller player base qeueing up- it might be.
Never before have I faced so many weird match-ups, 7tier x td's one side, one on other,
12 tier x meds each side etc etc.

I have also reason to believe that extensive cheating here on EU is still going on with noobs
using aimbots, tons of bots in lower tiers etc etc

Dont want to sound too cranky but it is easy to get pissed off on WG's buisness philosophy.
They need to focus on this game's fundamental brokenness on important issues rather than
creating cool gun sounds or making tonks turn over. 
A lot of this they have known for years yet they seem to be completely oblivious to critisicm-
on the contrary they continue to fuck things up(like this BS creation of worse ingame aiming and accuracy physics)

Serb need to stop wankin in his moneybin on Cyprus and start focusing again

I noticed some of the shot deviation shenanigans. Did autoaim get a general nerf in terms of basic lead? 

Any suggestions on a good replay pack to look at for new/changed map meta examples?

Also, has the 'banned mods' policy gone to shit? I thought I'd do a 'soft reintroduction' with XVM and a hit/damage log, and saw half of the stuff on aslain was stuff that was previously forbidden (no foliage, highlight behind objects, autoaim assist, wtf?)

6 hours ago, Shinma said:

Also, has the 'banned mods' policy gone to shit? I thought I'd do a 'soft reintroduction' with XVM and a hit/damage log, and saw half of the stuff on aslain was stuff that was previously forbidden (no foliage, highlight behind objects, autoaim assist, wtf?)

I doubt they are enforcing this policy particularly hard. Basically as long as you don't stream / youtube and get caught running a blatantly forbidden one on video, you can do whatever you want with your mods. That said, xvm for the tank carousel and a hit/damage log is pretty much all I run. I was never a big fan of heavy modding.

I recently got back (been back for a little more than a month) after not playing since september, and the hardest thing for me was re-learning favorable spots on the maps that had changed. If you're anything like me you'll need a few hundred games to derp your way into learning this stuff again.

Some things never change though... Pubbies are still bad and arty still sucks as much as it used to. But hey, we have new gun sounds now. Pew pew!