leggasiini

My impression of JP heavy line, V2

not sure if this is right section...whatever

I unlocked Type 5 Heavy last november, and then did a thread at EU server about my impressions of the line. http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/535943-my-impressions-of-japanese-heavy-line/page__p__11659397#entry11659397

Despite i updated it constinently, i felt like its still somewhat outdated. I also wanted to bring it up on Labs, and then felt like i would just update at whole it on labs.

no h8 pls, i might be too late with this since everyone probably grinded this line (if grinded lol) already but for some reason i was tempted to make new version since writing up the original one was pretty fun, and i dont think this causes any harms :P 

As for ratings, two factors: tank's own rating, and then the factor how enjoyable/fun/frustating etc. it is to play. For example, O-I as tank is better than O-Ni, but i dont enjoyp

anyway, here we go. So much text. Wow. I dont think anyone can read this at once...

I-Go/Chi-ro 6/10 (sold it twice)

Spoiler

Branch starts of with tier 2 medium tank, I-Go, also known as Chi-Ro. It has poor armor and mobility, but there is 1 ridiculous thing about it: gun. Or lets be more specific, the damage and DPM. This thing is one of the most minmaxed tanks in the game tier-for-tier, in fact, i think its even more minmaxed than stuff like FV4005. It has 75 alpha. And 2K DPM. 2K. And it can two shot same tier tanks. Wat. 

Other than that, there isnt much else to say. I actually once re-bought it for experimenting it as potential seal clubbing machine, but i didnt like it. While it could be potentially totally ridiculous with good crew, lack of armor, mobility and accuracy was letdown.

Equipment? Rammer, vents, optics/binocs? Dunno, someone who is expert with lowtiers probably knows better.

Type 91 Heavy 3/10 (sold)

Spoiler

Ehh...

This thing is pretty shitty. It has no armor at all, it has no mobility at all. Its basically heavy but it only has bad points from heavy (size, mobility). It has boobs that makes depression even more annoying than with O-Ho. And it doesnt even have pref MM.

Atleast this thing gets gun. Chi-Ha's gun is pretty good, and when you slightly improve its stats, it becomes great. However, honestly: whats the point of this tank, when Chi-Ha is also twice smaller, faster, has twice more armor and doesnt have depression problems? While the gun is good, the platform is pretty much the worst possible. Thats the reason why FV4005 is so shitty. Terrible platforms are just terrible, no matter what, unless you get retarded firepower like Waffle or I-Go does. It did get gun buffs in 9.15, but dont know how much it helps, because firepower was probably the only point that DIDNT need a buffs, yet it gets that buffed a little bit. Dafug?

Equipment? Dont.

Type 95 Heavy 1/10 (sold)

WARNING: RAGE REVIEW BELOW!!!11 

Spoiler

Seriously. What. The. Fuck. Is wrong with this tank? Seriously WG. Just. Why...

We can say that there is 3 "main" things in tanks: gun, mobility and armor. Ofc there is all of those little other stuffs like HP, VR, camo, etc. but anyway. Logically, often 1 or 2 points are good and 1 is bad, or 3 of them are well rounded. Think AMX 50 B. Good gun, good mobility, bad armor. M48A1 Fatton? All around decent. E 100? Good firepower, good armor, but mediocre mobility. Then there is slightly different cases, such as T110E5 where all of those 3 points are above average/good, or Maus, where only 1 point is good (armor) and 2 others are bad. Ofc with like 300 - 400 tanks complete balance is impossible, especially with 5 different classes.

Then there is Type 95, which is so laughably unbalanced that its terrible. Here is why...

Armor? Lol? This thing has no armor. It gets insta penned by everything expect maybe Pz 1 C from front and its huge so it cannot hide either. Tier 4 matches has atleast 3 Hetzers, which Type not only cant pen easily, but they can just oneshot Type at any angle. And this fucking shit cant run from them. GG

Mobility? Power to weight ratio is nearly as bad as Maus? Check. Top speed is nearly as bad as Maus? CHECK. So not only you got useless armor, but you also got no mobility either. You cannot run away from anything. Yes, if you see Matilda, you need to hope that he doesnt start chasing you, because once he does, Type is not fast enough to escape from fucking Matilda. By this logic, should this thing have good gun?

Fuck no.

The gun is just not good, its not even okay...Gun is shit. Yes. SHIT. Atleast it has good points. 110 alpha is good on tier 4, and it gets 1.8k DPM which for that alpha is AWESOME... on paper. Its ruined by few points. First off, the gun handling is TRASH. Its seriously like D-25T levels of cancer. It aims like fucking drunken walrus. Is that bad enough? Hell no, it also gets shell velocity that is worse than some derp guns. And accuracy itself is also shit. Oh and while pen is okay, you cannot aim at weakspots, so its SHIT TOO. And premium round is HEAT which doesnt help this poor shitty bastard at all as it makes it feel like direct fire arty spamming HEAT expect without any damage. The gun is worse than Type 91's. Type 91 can atleast snipe. This cannot. 

This tank does get limited MM. Does it help? Tier 3s are challenging for it, it cant really fight tier 4s, and its 100% useless against tier 5 in most cases. So, fuck not. Limited MM doesnt help at all. Lets be honest, does it make even difference anymore that if you get completely eaten alive by tier 5s than you get completely eaten alive by tier 6s? Same fucking thing, so another potentially OK pro totally trashed by shittyness. Its like putting MS-1 against KV-1, and then against IS-7. Result isnt even that different, despite IS-7 is 5 tiers higher than KV-1. Only, and ONLY LITERAL THING that isnt 100% negated by shittyness of this tank is depression. -12 is actually super awesome. Ofc, this tank has bad turret armor, poor gun handling so it cant poke, and poor accuracy so it cant hit effectively, but hey, it has small turret so it can somewhat hide its hull. Thats something...then arty will drool at this pinata when it isnt hiding behind rock. So enjoy your hulldowning for minute. Thats the reason why i didnt give zero or even negative rating for this tank.

So, all tanks should have 3 of those points somewhat balanced out? Ofc game is not 100% balanced. But really WG, why you made this tank SO shit? There is shit tanks, but this is so fucking piece of shit trash that it makes everything else on this planet look good. AMX 40? Shit gun, shit mobility, but atleast good armor. DW2? Shit mobility, meh armor, and shit gun, but atleast last one can be fixed by gold spamming. Churchill GC? Shit mobility, shit armor, but gun is pretty decent. M5 Stuart? shit gun it has no gun at all, shit armor, but its fast so it has atleast a role, aka scout, although its still super shit tank aswell as it cant influence the battle itself really. 

See? I listed some of the most very hated tanks in the game by players. All of them has some kind of redeeming features. Type 95 doesnt. Or it does, but its shitty parts are so shit that they overlap basically every "good" part it has, expect maybe depression (it isnt surprising that this tank has so much depression). So, conclusion? Shit armor, shit gun, shit mobility. All of those shit. No redeeming fucking features. It cant snipe, it cant brawl, it cant flank, it cant hulldown properly, it cant scout, it cant take hits, it cant be arty, it cant be TD, it cant do anything, its just shit. All it can do is to use its potato launcher behind allies and hopefully does more than its own HP worthy of damage, maybe in 1/10 of battles. If you thought that Type 91 is bad, this is basically same thing tier higher with even worse gun, and more HP so enemies have more food to farm.

Since pretty many of you dont play low tiers, heck some dont even play tiers below tier 8, so you maybe still cant fully imagine how shitty this tank is. Imagine Type 4 Heavy. Then give it Lorraine 40t's armor. And then give it D25-T. Thats tier 9 version of Type 95. Its so fucking piece of shit, that even Churchill GC looks like a fucking god compared to it. I would rather let Churchill GC to fuck in my ass as much as it ever wants than play even a single game with Type 95. Its that bad. I maybe used it wrong, you can safely disagree, you can have different opinion, you can say that something is worse and this thing has potential, but FUCK THAT, you cant change my opinion. Do anything, you cannot change my mind. This is my opinion. THIS. SHIT. IS. THE. VERY. WORST. TANK. IN. THE. GAME. PERIOD. On a bright side however, it was buffed in 9.15... STILL DOESNT MAKE A FUCKING DIFFERENCE, IT STILL HAS SHITTY GUN, NO MOBILITY AND NO ARMOR!!!!1

...Thank god its tier 4, and the line is very good after this for a while. But seriously. My advice? FREE XP IT. FUCKING. FREE. XP. IT. DO NOT WASTE UR TIME WITH IT. PLEASE.

Sorry for ragereview, felt it just had to be done. Bashing this tank felt so good.

O-I Experimental 9/10 (in garage)

Spoiler

This tank is probably how WG balanced Type 95 out. So after 2 tanks that were total trash, you get into some of the most overpowered tanks in the game. Meet the younger tank from O-I brothers, the O-I Experimental. 

As current state, this thing is hilarously overpowered. People say that this thing isnt OP, and it is balanced, because it doesnt have that good armor and its big. Does that mean that tank cant be OP? Lol, nope. Look at Czech tier 9 and 10. Both of them are pretty OP, yet they have no armor and they are actually pretty large for mediums. Its the firepower that makes them so powerful. Thats the same thing with O-I Experimental. It outshadows all other tier 5s significantly when it comes into firepower. 300 alpha. Thats right. 300 alpha. At tier 5. Wanna hear something worse? 300 alpha with 8 second reload. Thats right, this thing has nearly 2k DPM with 300 alpha. It has better DPM than O-Ni with 10cm, better DPM than Tiger II and just better DPM than many tier 6-7, and lesser extend, even some tier 8s with 300 alpha gun. And its tier 5. huehuehuehue

Thats not everything this tank got, though. It also gets -10 depression and actually pretty small turret, which means it can partially negate its worst flaw, huge size, when it hulldowns. It also moves almost as fast as medium tanks... yea thats right, it goes 40 kph and pretty easily even! Why? I dont know. Oh and by even looking at it you can guess its pretty heavy. Yes, it weights 100 tons. Yes, it goes 50kmh downhill...o wait. KV-5, anyone? Like KV-5, but at tier 5. And tier 5s are on average like twice lighter than tier 8s...So it screams ramming speed! This thing can kill stuff from full HP with ramming, EVEN HIGHER TIER ONES! Nothing is more satisfying than yoloing at Tiger 1 downhill and cutting more than half of his HP, and then even more by shooting at him.

(un)fortunately, this tank isnt complete mirror of Type 95, because it actually has bad points and it isnt pretty much perfect tank (reason why it isnt mirror of Type 95). Its pretty big, on most of cases its annoying, and the armor is surprisingly bad for super heavy tank. Its box, so it isnt that good at sidescraping. It is not very accurate, and (after 9.15) has somewhat mediocre gun handling, but that is expected for such a massive gun for tier 5.

This thing is pretty flexible. Top tier, it can play like regular heavy, but be careful, because its firepower and meh armor its priority target most of time. It can even play as pseudo-medium if necessary, since this thing gets very good VR (360 metres) and it moves 40kph pretty easily. When bottom tier, just make sure you dont take hits, and pick targets you can penetrate relieably. If you get a chance, ram. Ramming does significant damage to even tier 7s. Just dont ram O-Is. This thing is favorite target for arty due to size and not very thick armor, so keep moving if there is lots of pigs around.

Overall, very fun tank and one of my favorite vehicles in the entire game. Its not only extremely good, but its very funny aswell. I believe that its actually the strongest tank in the line, even stronger than infamous O-I. Its very OP though, so i expect (and tbh hope, it needs it) that it gets nerfed, and hard. Same destiny probably awaits its brother aswell.

As for equipment, i recommend Rammer/Vents/Spall Liner. Spall liner helps against Bishops which are very common at this tier, and drops ramming damage (while the tank is heavy, it still goes so fast that it can take some damage when it rams KV-1, for example.) You can use GLD or even optics or binocs if you want to play as pseudo-medium (which is actually fucking possible with this thing, LOL)

O-I 6/10 (sold twice)

Spoiler

Older of O-I brothers, O-I is also feels literally like ur driving Godzilla that wanted to be a tank. This thing is even BIGGER, even SLOWER. No more 40 kph. Sad times. It weights 50 tons more aswell but has same engine, so overall mobility is significantly worse. But it literally gains DOUBLE the armor on everywhere expect side. Oh and it gets derp gun. And not just any derp gun, it gets whopping 149.1mm massive howitzer, comparable to KV-2! Derp derp derp...expect bloody hell the reload lol.

O-I derp has few key differences with KV-2's derp gun. It fires noticeably (yes) slower, and has worse HE shell (less pen), has marginally better gun handling and gets better pen on AP and gold round (gold is HEAT, btw), although AP's and HEAT's potential has been noticeably decreased as longer reload and worse gun handling makes them even more risky to use.

As for playstyle, not much to say, actually. Seriously, you can just point front and just derp anything.

1) dont let anyone at your side

2)...and dont go too open

And there you go. When top tier, you can almost just yolo to enemies, as long as you can do the things above. Bottom tier, just let allies take hits, load HE and act as support tank.

Stock, it gets 10cm, which is fairly okay for stock gun. It used to be viable alternative over derp gun. Its reload and gun handling were however nerfed pretty noticeably; base DPM is now pathetic 1500, which tbh means that the 10cm just isnt that good anymore. Its still not terrible and if you absolutely hate the derp's reload, go for it.

I used to enjoy playing it alot (2nd favorite JP heavy back then, probably top 5 fav tanks and 880 battles with it IIRC), but then got ultimately bored to massive size + mobility + terribad reload (the O-Ho is so much more fun because it isnt so wide that it blocks all streets like O-I does, and having 14 sec reload versus 21 sec...yeah), and eventually sold it. I tried it on 9.15, and holy cows, its just extremely boring to play. Its even slower, aims even slower, hass even less HP so penning hits can feel like nukes, and the reload is utterly bad considering you get lol HE pens less often than on KV-2.

The tank is not bad, heck its still kinda broken (dont think its directly OP anymore though, its flaws were nerfed further while best pros were mostly kept. now the tank is min-maxed abomination like wt e100 or 183s). But since its like KV-2 with twice more armor, it should be fun, right? Hell no. Or atleast it isnt for me. Maybe i just played too much with it, though...

As for equipment, rammer and vents are must to make reload as low as possible. Last equipment can be optics/spall liner/GLD/binocs, up to your own preference.

O-Ni 6/10 (sold twice)

Spoiler

First you ride with two tanks from nightmares, then you ride with completely OP steamroller and then broken abomination. After that? More shittyness? Another OP/broken kaiju? Neither, actually.

Its mobility is comparable to O-I. Top speed and traverse are worse, but acceleration is much better because this tank weights 50 tons less (with being taller and having more armor? LOGIC INTESIFIES). The power to weight ratio is pretty noticeable when goiung up 

It gets same derp gun as O-I, sadly, almost literally the same. You get 1 sec faster reload and slightly better aim time, and thats pretty much it. AP is lot less viable than on O-I, although still good option when top tier, and for overmatching some turret roofs. The 10cm has better pen and damage than O-I's 10cm, better bloom. Depression is -10 almost everywhere expect above boobs (its 7-9 i think) and at rear. I used derp when i grinded it, but after i recently bought it back, im using 10cm now. Looking back when i grinded it, i should have used the 10cm. 

Armor is good. Front is immune to 175mm pen unless high rolls, which is BIG plus. Boobs are actually weaker than hull, and it now has cheeks that slightly limits sidescraping purposes (we will talk about these later), but bigger limit with sidescraping is SIDE. Side is just butter. Honeslty better just peek around corners if you can, but it isnt as easy as O-Ho or Types because turret location and because hull shape. Turret armor is great (200), and with -10 depression, this tank is okay at hulldowning, although super fat hull never gives you ability to fully abuse your turret armor.

O-Ni is solid tank. Not amazing, not terrible. I feel like its the most "balanced" tank of the line, although butter side armor is annoying.

Since this tank is bit like O-I, i recommend same equipment. The view range is higher though so with enough good skills i believe hitting max VR is possible with optics, so binocs are not as useful, though.

O-Ho 7.5/10 (in garage)

Spoiler

HO HO HO

O-Ho is one tricky pony. It is harder to play effectively than earlier O-Series tanks. It is kind of love-hate tank. I personally simply love it. Its relaxing to play, helps with stress and simply creates endless amounts of fun. Its my favorite tank in the game.

So why i rate it lower than O-Is, then? It isnt nearly as OP as them, and like i said, this thing is love-hate tank. Some people hates this tank alot, and despite im O-Ho fanatic, i understand that, because this thing is weird, even akward on some situations. Depression is also very problematic.

O-Ho gainst slightly more weight from O-Ni, weighting 20 tons more. Again, you have same engine as you had from tier 5, which means that acceleration is worse than O-Ni, although it still easily goes 25kph, and since O-Ho has slightly faster traverse speed, overall mobility is not necessarily worse. Either way, you didnt go fast, and you still wont go fast. If you wanted to fast, stop at O-I Exp, go pick other tank line or go watch Sanic videos. 

Side armor finally improves, which is good thing. Now it atleast isnt that easy to overmatch, and you can sidescrape more reliably. Cheeks still stays, but they are now 200mm thick, and boobs are again as thick as front, which means that you can now sidescrape more relieably. However, better choice is to peek around corners, which improves your front and prepares you for Type 4/5, which can simply forget sidescraping. Turret is good, but cheeks are pennable by 210+ mm pen, so be careful. Moving quickly forward and backwards can slightly help to make enemy hit the angled part of turret, which ricochets even tier 10s surprisngly easily. 

What makes me love this tank is however the gun. At first, the gun choice isnt impressive. You get same stock 10cm as you had with O-I and O-Ni, you get same derp as O-I and O-Ni and now you have 10cm which is literally O-Ni's 10cm expect it has more DPM and uses its gold as regular ammo...expect O-Ni's gold was pretty mediocre already, and you now dont have new gold ammo at all. Basically, you are stuck with 215mm pen. DPM is very good with 10cm gun, though. When top tier, 10cm kicks butt. The problem is however, that its ineffective against tier 9 HTs, and becomes useless against many tier 10s. Since you are big slow brick, you are completely worthless if you get into T10 matches, unless you can pick targets that you can pen. 10cm itself isnt bad, but because being weak against T10, i think that only viability for 10cm is if you can grind the O-Ho in T8 stronkholds or somewhere else where you are matched up against only T8s. 

So, derp gun, that is the same as O-Ni's and O-I's? Its the same gun...but its so different that it doesnt feel like same at all. It gains MAAASSIIVVEE boost in rate of fire. With correct equipment, instead of 20 or 19 seconds of O-I and O-Ni, respectively, you now have as short reload as 14 seconds! This isnt actually even that much slower than regular T8 HT guns when you do damage 99% of time and ocassionaly can do even 900+ against poorly armored stuff. Oh and the module damage. On top of the cake, the accuracy is dropped at 0.52, and aim time is faster too. Dispersion gets huge boost, because not just by raw dispersion is notably better, but you can now mount Vertical Stabilizer. This thing snapshots so well that it doesnt even feel like im using the same derp gun as O-I or O-Ni. 

Unfortunately, what keeps this tank from being perfect OP is depression problems in front. O-Ho's miniturrets can limit your depression as heavily as to -1 depression. With gun being located higher than any other JP heavy and probably higher than any other tank in the game (at same line as turret roof), this can be a serious issue when facehugging tanks. Boobs are assymetrically at more left, so make sure that you can fight with your right side. If you come from corner that is turns left from you, sidescrape, and if opposite, peek around corners. Focus their tracks. This allows you to disable them and help your allies to damage them easily. When your close to ur enemies, shoot at areas that HE can do the most damage: roofs, cupolas, sides, and generally places that you can splash into their weakest areas. Avoid facehugging if possible, because like i mentioned, depression is only -1 at front. As with earlier tanks, do not let anyone at your side. Due to these, O-Ho is better played as slightly more defensively than O-Ni or O-I, spamming HE and slowing them down by blowing tracks. O-Ho works very well even when bottom tier. You can still do 150 - 400 even to stuff such as E-100. Let tougher allies take hits, shoot at tracks and annoy them. The longer you survive, the better.

You should spam HE most of time, but AP and HEAT are also usable ammo. AP can be used to overmatch some turret roofs. O-Ho can overmatch anything with less than 49mm of turret roof armor. Sadly, 50mm is common value, and O-Ho cannot overmatch those due to exact caliber is 149.1mm. Most notable overmatchable roofs are IS-3's and IS-6's roofs. I recommend to use tanks.gg and learning roofs of as many tanks as possible before doing this. HEAT is even more niche ammo. It cant overmatch, so only places i ever use it is against flat armor that AP cant reliably pen such as front armor of some lower tier heavies or sides of German or Japanese heavies, and even then it is always kinda risky.

O-Ho is unique tank. Some hate it, some love it, i love it. I focused mostly with derp gun, so sorry if you wanted to know more about 10cm. I havent used it many battles though, but it was SIGNIFICANTLY less enjoyable than derp for me, and just because how badly it does against T10 HTs (and most TDs and even some meds), i prefer derp by far. please use 10cm, my own O-Ho will definely like that. While it isnt nearly as good as O-Is, i find it even more fun to play than either of those.

As for equipment, Rammer/Vstabs/Vents. Optics is solid for last option aswell if you dont have good enough crew skills and. With vents, food, recon + situnational awareness, and BIA, the VR is nearly maxed when using vents. With binocs the max VR is only few metres better, but you can still use it if you want the best possible. And again, spall liner is decent option too, although i prefer two equipment mentioned earlier over it.

Type 4 Heavy 4.5/10 (sold)

Spoiler

First we have minmax low tier terminator, then two one of worst tanks in the game, then some of the skyroof breaking tanks, then two decent tanks. What lies at the apex of mountain of glorious Nippon steel? Something absolutely epic, right? Sorry...

Type 4 Heavy is unfortunately not that amazing or not even good. So whats the problem with it? Type 4 Heavy shaves of its boobs. From all way from tier 3 you had to look at ugly miniturrets. Finally you dont need to see them, instead you actually have tank with relatively nice design. That doesnt make it good, sadly. Think pre-buff 113, super sexy yet pretty mediocre tank (dont worry its decent nao tho).

The main problem is the speed. This branch is full of turtle tanks. However, there is still turtle among turtles. Type 4 Heavy has easily the worst mobility among all Japanese heavy tanks. Its top speed and engine are same as others, but its heaviest, and even though terrain resists got buffed, it still has very poor power to weight ratio and overall mobility, struggling to hit 25 unless hard terrain. Expect it to go around max 18-20 at softer terrain.

Firepower is...kinda odd. You get 600 alpha, which is nearly TD-levels of damage. 249 mm pen is nothing to laught at, and HE shell is pretty good. However, these two cool traits comes with pretty nasty flaws. Reload is pretty meh, not TERRIBLE for such alpha (german tier 9 HTs has pretty crappy DPM too). With equipment and good crew you can get it down to 16 seconds, i think. The worse part is however awful gun handling. Accuracy is almost as bad as worst Russian 122mm guns, aiming time is bad and bloom is disgusting. This means that fighting at long ranges sucks. What is worse that you are so slow that you sometimes arent just fast enough to fight up at close ranges. Gold ammo is just awful; you struggle alot if you see VK 4502 B at +200 metres.

Armor is great, though. 250mm armor is completely retarded against T7s that can have as bad pen as 132 mm. Sides are also 140 mm, which are much better than on earlier JP heavies. The cheeks are annoiyng however. They are 200mm thick, and have AMMORACK behind them. Cheeks makes sidescraping risky and at some cases even impossible. Due to this, this tank cant angle very well. Only option is to peek around corners, which does help but you still wish you could abuse that 140mm sides by sidescraping. Gold is much more annoying than before, since this tank relies much more on armor than before yet gold is more common at these tiers. And does flat armor that is hard to angle do well against 330mm pen HEAT shells? Hell no. When gold is spammed at Type 4, it becomes relatively useless. O-series atleast has good fire power to be still relatively useful. This doesnt.

Module damage is another annoying point on Type 4 Heavy. Engine gets damaged from front because frontal transmission, fueltanks are gigantic, ammorack is even bigger, and engine is pretty big. Atleast crew is fat enough to die rarely, but still, the module damage is ANNOYING. I would have ran two repair kits...but i wasnt rly able to, because:

- burns too often to not use FE, so taking it away is no no

- needs foods, but didnt have premium back then -> have to use vents instead of spall liner -> cant sacrifice medkit either

I would have ran repair kit/food/FE like i do with Type 5 these days. 

Playing this tank is extremely simple. You just pick flank and go there. You take hits as long as you can, and then just smash for 600. You need to predict many minutes from future or you will be left behind. Type is very slow so sometimes you are left behind without doing anything or your team dies, you are alone and then you die or rarely, get lol op wtf match. Pretty often best matches are losses, and victories are poor ones, which is another reason why this tank is frustating. Somewhat dissapointing. It got buffed, but its still rather mediocre and needs still buffing. Shame, because i love its looks.

Rammer/stabs/spall if you use repair+food+FE or dual repair + food, or if you use vents, repair + med + FE.

Type 5 Heavy 5.5/10 (in-garage)

Spoiler

After seeing how Type 4 is almost copypasted at tier 10, your dreams about "tier 10 lol wtf OP stomping godzilla machine" is already probably gone. Good news: its notably better than Type 4. Bad news: its still not amazing.

Same gun? Check. Similar armor? Check. Similar looks? Check. Tier higher? Check. Only slightly better mobility? Check.

Same tank tier higher? It must be total shit, right? Actually, its better, basically for two reasons: massively higher HP and much better gun stats.

Alpha feels no longer as awesome as on Type 4, but reload and gun handling makes up for that. The gun handling is massively better than Type 4 Heavy. With crew skills, Vstabs, and foods, you get actually pretty amazing dispersion values for such a big gun, which means that it can snapshot rather effectively at close ranges. The raw accuracy is pretty bad, however, so dont expect MLG sniping strats with this tank. The DPM is okay, not good but not terrible considering alpha is still 600. There is one damn annoying flaw, and its the gold ammo. Fighting E 100s and E5s can be tough because gold ammo is so utterly disgusting. Nevertheless, gold can be still helpful for going through some heavily armored tanks easier, but still, its utter joke when compared to other gold ammo.

The HP is whopping 850 higher than Type 4, which is pretty damn impressive buff. Another cool point is +10 armor on front, turret front, cupola, turret sides and cheeks, which means that +/-25% rng fucks your armor little less, and you can angle turret E 100 style bit better than Type 4. 

Peeking around corners is best way to use Type 5's armor. Gun handling means you can come out from corner and shoot pretty quickly. That combined with better turret traverse, +1 kph reverse speed and tougher front makes it so much better than Type 4 doing it. Depression is great at -10, which means that you can actually hulldown, although be careful with skycancer. Use your depression to hit roofs. 140mm gun can actually still overmatch more than you think, such as deck of E 100-series. Avoid sidescraping if possible due to cheeks having ammorack behind them, but angling is better than nothing if enemy shoots gold. This thing is good at facehugging. Nothing is better than baiting an IS-7 to facehug you, yet then you just suck his HP by shooting that weakspot at top of turret, which is hidden from most other tanks. I recommend heavy gold usage, while it bleeds credits, it helps notably with penning stuff, since Type 5 still has pretty poor accuracy.

Overall, the tank is still not amazing, even after buffs. I hated it and actually sold it once and was very close to never buy it back, but after @Gandaran helped me with this tank (thanks once more :P ), i got enough motivation to buy it back, using more gold and slightly different setup and playstyle and then i managed to enjoy it more and even managed to get two marks on it. And after 9.15, its actually surprisingly fun to play. You just need to adjust the playstyle. The gold is pretty annoying. If the gold was just buffed to 300mm atleast...then damn...

Do i recommend Type 5, though? I dont know, really. Im weird person, i like big fat boxy blocks and Type 5 is big fat boxy block. Most of you wont enjoy stuff like that, however. I think E 100 is better for most of you, and overall E 100 is still notably better tank. Type 5 Heavy however gets, in my opinion, too harsh reputation. Its really not that BAD tank, its just that huge box that is very vulnerable to TDs, gold ammo and arty. If it had 300mm gold pen, it would be significantly better. I do like it, most of you probably dont, so i cant really recommend this tank. 

Again, rammer/vstabs/spall liner if you use repair/food/FE or dual repair + food. If you use rammer/vstabs,vents, then repair+med+FE.

Aftermath

Spoiler

So, is the line worth grinding? Tier 5 is still broken as hell, so if you want statpadder/sealclubber/very potent credit farmer, go for it. Imo by far best credit farmer in the game that is not premium tank. Tier 6 is giggles when you get derp first time, but gets boring pretty fast, even faster if you have/had KV-2. Tier 8 is so much giggles with derp when you manage to get around with gun depression on front. Tier 9 and 10 are somewhat unique, not amazing however. 

If you want amazing tier 10, nah, the tier 10 is not the highlight of the line. It has several dogs (low tiers and tier 9), and the are all big fat boxy derp blocks. If you hate derp guns, forget this line. I think tier 5 and 8 are hightlights of the tree if you want have fun, and tier 6 probably too as it is still good at doing some HT missions. 

Overall rating for the line: 6/10. It has both my favorite tank and my most hated tank :P. And in general, the line has mix of bad, frustating, very fun and OP tanks so i give it quite average rating. 6/10 instead of 5/10 only because of O-Ho is bae :doge: 

rip. my. fingers. i wrote this 3 hours straight without breaks. why i did this lol

yea i agree its too high, i just got tired after 3 hours of straight writing so i rushed with ratings. Will take a look at them tomorrow ASAP and will expand some (type 5 mostly) descriptions aswell. 

I find simply so addictive and fun to play even alone (friend got O-Ho few days ago and fun doubles with ho ho ho platoon tho) which is why it simply feels like that its much better what it really is. Fun factor has some affection in ratings, but its too high here and should be minor stuff. As tank's own viability i would probs rank it even as low as O-Ni, but due to fun value i might put it into 7 or something like that.

I just elited the type 4, i would rate them:

1. Otsu: forgot :P
  2. I-go: hate, 2/10, OP gun, rest terrible, i couldnt stand it (and i really tried making it work)
  3. Type 91: 4/10, very, very good gun, rest terrible, if the gun depression wasnt as terrible (and tier 3 wouldnt be so crap) it would be ok
  4. Type 95: 1/10, the gun is imo actually good, i just shot a ton of heat, it has no armor, but its good for peek boo and with suchs high alpha dmg / dpm / pen, it rly shreds same and low tiers, fuuuuuuuuuuck, this tank suked dik, i forgot :P
  5. O-I Exp: 9/10, OP as f***k, as you said more or less, it has enough armor to troll low tiers / bounce a bit, combined with massive healthpool, ridiculous mobility and OP gun, 1 shotting tier 4 tanks, 2 shotting tier 5 mediums (or t5 heavys with some luck), heck you can even 2 shot tier 6 TDs, this thing is as OP as it gets (far away the best t5) and still have it in garage
  6. O-I: 7/10, i actually didnt like it much, sure, its awesome when top tier, but when not its awefull, it lacks armor AND speed vs anything tier 7 / 8, the O-I exp is atleast fast and hits hard (300 alpha dmg is also relevant vs t7 afterall) the O-I not so much, but still that much armor / hp / derp power...
  7. O-Ni, 7/10, love / hate, had many awesome games with it, but also terrible games, i might buy this one back, it does need food + some HEAT, but its huge, unique, fairly good and kinda fun, 
  8. O-Ho, 5/10, the derp gun is imo simply not good enough, and the 100mm is also lacking, i ended up using both guns 50/50 (the 100mm is like KV5 gun with full gold spam, so workable) but it was not ideal, i ended up hating it though, the gun depression is just too frustrating...
  9. Type 4: 4/10, too slow, too soft, and a crap gun, pls WG, remove 10 ton weight, buff the cheeks to 250mm and buff the gun (accuracy and reload speed) even with food its all-round crap...
  10. Type 5, x/10, i keep buying (and selling) worthless tier 10 tanks, last year i bought like 3 tier 10s (t57, obj 263, Fv 215b) which i all hated, i wont fall for the same trap, unless WG mega-buffs this thing, i wont buy it now, or ever...

I all in all agree with you, only the O-Ho is too high, and perhaps O-Ni a bit too low, O-I is i guess different perspective on how a tank should play (to quote yourself: It feels more OP than experimental because its both much easier to use by noobs. At opposite, good players can abuse more from O-I Exp than from O-I.

Thanks for the write-up. I haven't progressed beyond the OI because I found that thing ridiculously fun and I'm slowing grinding crew to be better (want at least 2nd skill) before attempting to go any higher. I have to admit the t-10 seems completely underwhelming although I thought the tier-9 seemed ok. Based on your comments I guess the tier-7 and tier-8 are at least worth trying.

I totally agree about the OI Exp v OI as well - the former is absolutely the far more OP of the two. It's hard to know why WG thought giving a fairly mobile super-heavy box tank with ridiculously high alpha damage such absurdly good DPM. For comparison - the Exp with the 10cm fires faster and has better handling than the 10cm on the OI a tier higher. That makes absolutely no sense. Best way to nerf it would be to drop the reload (10 second reload would be a good starting point) and probably nerf the gun handling a bit.

I feel the OI is only a little bit OP, and only when it is top tier. You can be effective when mid or bottom tier, but you need to know when and how to engage to ensure you don't get swarmed, because your side armour is absolute butter to anything higher tier and your reload is so slow if you get isolated you're going down. I find that challenge really fun, and there's nothing more hilariously entertaining than coming out of tier 8 matches with 2k+ damage due to being able to land penetrating HE shots on higher tier tanks.

If I put ratings to them, they'd probably be the same as yours. I might shift all the higher tiers down though, just because I want "5" to mean average for that tier. The Type 4 is probably more like a "2" (the only thing worse is, like, the foch) in that case, and the Type 5 is probably more like a 3.5.

Still, if I was comparing them to each other I'd probably come to the exact same conclusion you did.

43 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

If I put ratings to them, they'd probably be the same as yours. I might shift all the higher tiers down though, just because I want "5" to mean average for that tier. The Type 4 is probably more like a "2" (the only thing worse is, like, the foch) in that case, and the Type 5 is probably more like a 3.5.

Still, if I was comparing them to each other I'd probably come to the exact same conclusion you did.

"5" is not directly "average" at my ratings, even if it is middle of 1 and 10. "1" is something absolutely disgusting and terrifying. TBH only tank i ever would rate that poor is Type 95. Maybe M5 Stuart aswell but it can still do one (and only) thing, scouting (even that pretty poorly) so its more a 1.5 or 2. "2" is also rating for something that is roof breakingly shitty. Considering those, i believe its more a rating of 3-10, with average being 6-7. 1 and 2 are tanks basically expectionally bad tanks that goes through roof by their shittyness.

I feel like ratings are more like this:

god-tier (9-10)

very good (8)

good (7)

average (6)

below average (5)

bad (4)

garbage (3)

TOTALLY USELESS SHIT (2)

Type 95-tier (1)

I find Type 5 Heavy tolerable with gold spam and food. When its at right matchup, it can do pretty well. I find it ocassionaly even fun to play, although it can be also pretty rage-including. However, its still the worst tier 10 HT in the game, but thats partially because generally how good T10 HTs are (just look at most of them, then Type 5). I find all other T10 HTs pretty decent, which makes Type 5 just look sad when compared to them. Nevertheless, its not good tank at all, and it depends on RNG and enemy how well it does, which is why i rate it below average (5)

Type 4 on other hand is so slow that it can rarely do anything. 2 is still too rough for it. I actually was supposed to rate it 3.5, but in the end forgot about its rating and after being tired from 3 hours of writing, i just quickly slapped random ratings. Its still better than Type 91. O-Ho was overly high aswell, but that i already fixed. I brought too much fun value at O-Ho. If i would rate these tanks by fun alone, i would rate O-Ho 9 or something like that, kek

Type 95 is, if anything, even worse than portrayed.  There is just no vocabulary that can describe it. I didn't free xp it, though. The tier 4 grind is fast, and many players are so bad at that tier that you can get through it with a substantially winning record. The challenge can be hilarious.

5 minutes ago, Nekommando said:

The most broken thing about O-I Exp: pubbies will defend it and say it's balanced/ crap /artyfood til the end of days. 

This, everyone on official forum states how it is not OP. IT DOESNT HAVE ARMOR LIKE O-I, IT ISNT OP LOLOLOLOL. They said the same about KV-1S. And it was OP and broken as fuck (btw tier 5 KV-1S is still broken as fuck). Same with Experimental. I wouldnt mind if they just remove the 100mm.

Meanwhile O-I is like new arty or gold ammo at offical forums...

i was like: why all the hate for type 95, it had suchs a good gun, then i realised i forgot the rest

• Amor so thin, it gets overmatches by noobs using AP in derp guns, so hetzer AP also one shits you...
  • Machine gun turds kill you easy mode
  • HE penetrates you

+ ofc slow + heat + biiiig

i revised my view on that one ^^

9 hours ago, Rexxie said:

Where do you rate the T95? not type 95. T95 tier 9 TD.

10 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

i was like: why all the hate for type 95, it had suchs a good gun, then i realised i forgot the rest

• Amor so thin, it gets overmatches by noobs using AP in derp guns, so hetzer AP also one shits you...
  • Machine gun turds kill you easy mode
  • HE penetrates you

+ ofc slow + heat + biiiig

i revised my view on that one ^^

And thats why the most pros of gun is also negated. You have to aim long, your gun is inaccurate and shell traverses slowly. You rarely can abuse the epic DPM because of those, and the fact you cant go at sides because fuck mobility, and ofc because platform with 100% only with negatuve features. HEAT is horribly unrelieable with such gun stats. Poor accuracy + shell velocity + gun handling says fuck you to sniping, but no armor + no mobility + huge says fuck you to brawling. 

Why ppl do not use regular gun instead of derp on O-Ni?

It has good penetration on standard round for a tier 7. Gold is better than many same tier heavies.

When i see O-Ni with derp, i can kill them with T-150 fairly easily by gold+dpm. T-150 survives 2, with luck even 3 derp shells...19 s reload RIP.

O-ho derp is more viable than O-Ni, since the derp fires much faster, and you have no gold shell.

Since 9.15 is gonna make changes on every JP heavy expect O-Ho (O-Ni too; got buff to lower side armor. Not mentioned in patchnotes), im doing major update at this review after 9.15. Will play O-I Exp and Type 5 Heavy more after 9.15. I will likely decrease O-I's rating quite a bit, not just because nerf, but also because i generally just didnt like the tank anymore. O-I Exp will probably get slight drop and Type 4/5 should go somewhat upwards.

Type 91/95 gets too medioce buffs to make any noteworthy increases in ratings, although Type 95's gun handling buff might make it slightly better, but it still has shit mobility, has no armor, is big, inaccurate, has horrible shell velocity, etc. Now it has less cancerous gun handling, but tank probably wont get good enough to bump it up from 1/10. Most likely still shittiest tank in the game.

Updated the topic since all JP heavies expect O-Ho got some changes.

Im thinking to review more lines, probably either Object 268 line or Czech MT (after i get both of the tier 10s). Maybe French, British or Chinese HT line aswell, but those i grinded pretty long time ago so im not sure.