_Assad

TW: Warhammer

Game comes out in about a month, i like that CA has finally tapped into the potential of fantasy games with Halo Wars 2 also on the horizon (A game which 343 is not taking a single part of).

So far they've been releasing dev builds to the public recently and I can say from experience that being a rich tryhard with the latest i5s and i7s now has some merit behind it. Not to mention that the GPU industry seems to be going the way of the V-Ram; this game reinforces both. I've been slowly rebuilding my PC just to accomodate games like these alone.

Technical stuff out of the way, the game reminds me of Empire, but without the game breaking bugs and glitches because it's something that looks bold and fresh with the rts genre being stagnant at best. 

And just like Halo Wars 2 CA is developing the story and lore for both games. Warhammer and Halo have very very rich lore already so I think that this could very well be a franchise of new fantasy RTS' if met with success of course. 

Its kind if lame that the chaos faction comes only as pre-order, but my guesses is that its there to make people buy the game rather than pirate.

Keep in mind Rome 2 at leasts prerelease shit was pretty much all bullshit, preordering any game from CA at this point is retarded. Attila seemed decent, but I think they lost a lot of momentum for the series when they fucked up Rome 2, given it had legitimate prerelease hype and then seemed like a semi broken alpha on release. Don't forget blatant DLC whoring with both games from what I know.

I love CA.

Don't get your hopes too high, this won't revolutionize the genre in the slightest. Only thing TW:W has going for it is the genre and lore, beyond that it will be like any other TW game. CA is banking on the Warhammer fanbase driving more than the general fantasy market.

The release build will be interesting to see if CA learned from Rome II. The lack of hype (from what I've seen) and the release delay implies they have, but I'll wait for the first reviews before shelling out any cash.

Also the pre-order version will be uploaded for torrent day one, I guarantee it :Cirno:

51 minutes ago, MagentaPanda said:

Keep in mind Rome 2 at leasts prerelease shit was pretty much all bullshit, preordering any game from CA at this point is retarded. Attila seemed decent, but I think they lost a lot of momentum for the series when they fucked up Rome 2, given it had legitimate prerelease hype and then seemed like a semi broken alpha on release. Don't forget blatant DLC whoring with both games from what I know.

It really seems like CA's new modus operandi now, release a broken as fuck game (Empire, Rome II), half heartily fix it through patches and ridiculous DLC (lol 5$ for extra blood effects), then release the completed and fixed game a couple years later for the same price (Napoleon, Attila)

Honestly, I've been pre-ordering all of the TW games since I put over 400 hours in to Medieval 2, and I haven't regretted it once. I am usually Mr. Grumbletrousers about shit like this, but I am super fucking hyped for this one. I played the living fuck out of the LotR TC mod for Medieval 2, and this is looking like something so much more built on the amazing fantasy engine TW always was.

6 hours ago, MagentaPanda said:

I love CA.

I never bought Rome 2 or Attila due to the lack of interest in the era. Imo Napoleon and Fall of the Samurai are the best for their respective eras. DLC whoring is also a thing alot of devs do now. Cough Fireaxis, Paradox, EA, Ubisoft, 343, and Activision Cough 

Nothing new there, but you see that they did the same thing with rome as they did with Empire. They're both buggy shitfests til the DLC and Mods come out. And by god you cant tell me that Darthmod isn't some of the best modding for any game series of all time. Darth Mod Napoleon, Shogun, and even Empire; provided the necessary hardware to run them are absolutely incredible. I think they could've added the features to the base game if their target audience was people with high-middle to very high end PCs, but sadly TW games always have and always will perform poorly on machines with low ram and older CPU's.

Also to your point covalent about the torrents, its precisely the reason as to why the pre-order bonus is another faction. It's because of the people pirating games. :serb:

12 minutes ago, MungeVolt said:

And by god you cant tell me that Darthmod isn't some of the best modding for any game series of all time. Darth Mod Napoleon, Shogun, and even Empire; provided the necessary hardware to run them are absolutely incredible. I think they could've added the features to the base game if their target audience was people with high-middle to very high end PCs, but sadly TW games always have and always will perform poorly on machines with low ram and older CPU's.

Oh you're not wrong here, Darth's mods made those games what they were, especially in terms of AI battle tactics (IMO they were absolutely necessary for sieges, especially in Empire). Part of my regret with Rome II to be fair probably extends from the lack of Darthmod. Radious' overhaul and Divide et Imperia (I think that's the name) are good, but IMO don't have the same impact, at least for me. Also maddening is the lack of army mod for Rome II that vastly increases stack size and unit size. There was one a few patches ago with IIRC a stack limit of 40 and triple the ultra unit size, but sadly hasn't been kept updated. Makes me a sad panda being unable to have 50-100000 troop engagements :(

23 minutes ago, MungeVolt said:

Cough Paradox Cough

To be fair, Paradox at least is honest and (as of late) open in dev diaries about its DLC content/pricing. Some I agree are overpriced at release, but I've yet to run into a Paradox DLC that wasn't worth it, especially after going on sale. Not to mention the majority of new content comes in their free patches. Certainly one of the better ways to handle DLC IMO. Now if only their subsidiaries like Colossal Order would learn the same ...

Alot of the EU 4 expansions arent worth it tbh. But yeah, I fucking love spamming militias into royal guards while jagers pick them off from afar in napoleon. With 20-40k Units. And the naval battles vs the fucking spanish dragon. Amazing.

2 hours ago, MungeVolt said:

Also to your point covalent about the torrents, its precisely the reason as to why the pre-order bonus is another faction. It's because of the people pirating games. :serb:

Bullshit. It's because they  can make a quick buck doing it. http://segabits.com/blog/2015/03/09/total-war-series-sells-11-million-within-the-last-6-years/

18 million units of DLC sold. They sure as hell don't need it though considering how many units of their games they sell. If it truly is necessary despite higher sales than years ago then they need to fire who the fuck ever is managing their finances.

9 hours ago, MungeVolt said:

Technical stuff out of the way, the game reminds me of Empire, but without the game breaking bugs and glitches because it's something that looks bold and fresh with the rts genre being stagnant at best. 

99% chance it will have game breaking bugs rome 2 looked great in previews yet was an utter pos on release.

And with paradox the dlcs either contain no actually game play content so are entirely not needed or are basically expansions which are developed after the game is released.

Paradox DLC also isnt "look at these reskinned units you already have with a faction with one actual new unit that just starts in a different place than that other identical faction!". I actually like paradox DLC, and feel their games have so much more depth and skill involved, and the DLC is at least fresh enough to be worth while.

Greek city states as day one DLC also pretty much signals the company doesnt give a fuck about you, and for that reason im sticking with the old total wars, fucking medieval 2 is the shit, and is like 10$ on g2a. If you get kingdoms, you have a number of excellent full overhauls. If you want graphics, shogun 2 is still the best thing they have put out anyway, so just play that shit. Has guns and swords, but sadly you cant change the setting.

Idk, I'm still salty after Rome 2. I remember watching that carthage trailer like 5 times, and to get a completely different, complete shit game at release basically made me hate the company.

Paradox dlc add value to the game its kinda insane to say that dlc like:
Conquest of Paradise, Res Publica, Art of war are bad dlc.
As they genieuly add new feauture and new dynamics to the  game of EU4.
Just creating Random new world in america is a crazy fun thing and now you can make Custom
nation with your own flag, traditions and ideas.

Same things with CK2 with Charlamange, Norsegods.

They give a ridiclious extra value to the game, id say i spent about 400 hours on Vanilla EU4 and atleast 600 hours extra with all the dlc. Sure Paradox has its unit/music/content pack dlc and its plainly visable like i bought the Pre order bonus for EU4 and its practically 50 extra events for The byzantine empire only and i just love it while i completly  skipped past the Muslim events as i dont really find nomads intresting at all. Woudnt say paradox is a bad actor in this regard.

Sometimes i just wonder if people lost the abbility to read simple discriptions on dlc or your just such a massive fan boy that you will buy any dlc and to that i can only say  well EA has that in bag with fifa 20xx version every year.

There is bad dlc and there is good dlc but in the end its consumer responbillity to see if its adds to their experience. The only thing i can say is wrong is  charachter dlc for fighting games because if you are competitve you have to get it to know how to play or counter those charachter or you will be crushed in the new meta.

Last but not atleast fuck blue/red colour gun dlc always.

7 hours ago, methebest said:

99% chance it will have game breaking bugs rome 2 looked great in previews yet was an utter pos on release.

And with paradox the dlcs either contain no actually game play content so are entirely not needed or are basically expansions which are developed after the game is released.

Any time they change engines or go for a different style of combat it fucks up. Rome 1 was a horror show of bugs and trash AI. Med 2 was fine. Jump to Empire was horrid. Napoleon was fine. Shogun 2 was buggy on release but came out okay after. Rome 2 I'm left with an impression of being a new engine and was utter garbage. Attila I have no idea with. They seem to fuck up every other game on release.

Someone mentioned greek states DLC, those culture packs particularly piss me off because Total War games have always permitted you to play each and every faction whether at the get go, by unlocking it through play (defeating factions originally) or modding them. They are intentionally stripping factions away to sell independently. They pulled the excuse of there being a different internal politics system or some shit. Bitch please, it's not like there was any thought put into the Rome one anyway. That they're doing the same with Warhammer just shows to me they're no longer worth my money. 

So far as Paradox, they're whoring DLC. Books could be linked to it if you want but that shit has no place being listed as DLC for the game. Music is fine as I don't see any noticeable reduction in the music they ordinarily supply in their games, though prices are steep. Event DLC is bad. Sprites are acceptable as I don't believe there's been a reduction in vanilla sprites. That said I have a personal dislike for all of the DLC they're throwing under EU4 and their other games. I think in the long run it'll back fire as people will see it as nickel and diming people. To a degree it is and if they don't smarten up they're going to alienate their fans and potential customers. That alienation might come anyway though if they expand into consoles like desired and do go public.

12 hours ago, MungeVolt said:

I never bought Rome 2 or Attila due to the lack of interest in the era.

Late antiquity = super interesting period. I should get around buying attila someday (and playing Rome 2 again)

12 hours ago, MungeVolt said:

Darth Mod Napoleon, Shogun, and even Empire; provided the necessary hardware to run them are absolutely incredible.

Once played a bit of N:TW at a friend's, with 40 units Darth Mode. Got into a 30 vs 40 + 20 battle. Deployed in an oblique order, anchoring my week right flank to a multi-storied stone building where I put good infantry in, with most of  my voltigeurs around, deploying the centre reverse-slope with arty, and most of my cavalry on the left. The IA attacked the right flank and the centre en masse (with a totally ineffective arty support, because reverse slope). Flank held long enough, centre attack was stopped dead by volleyed and grapeshot as soon as they crested, pushed back and flanked by my right flank and I then deployed my arty on the ridge to support the general left to right counter attack. Strength indicator had went from 1/3-2/3 to 2/3-1/3…:frenchy:VIVE L'EMPEREUR ! EN AVANT !

And then the game crashed. :no:

I know I know, Quickybaby is shit and a douche and all that...whatever, shut up. It's in depth gameplay.

And another

One thing that kind of worries me is the castle siege in the second one. It looks like the battle map is restricted and only a small part of the city is actually part of the battle map. AFAIK, that's a first for a TW game. In Empire and Napolean, I know it was just the defensive forts and not the cities themselves you would fight over, but in Rome 2, Attila, Shogun 2, and Medieval 2, it was always the whole city, including coasts and whatnot that you fought on, and could attack any part of it.

One thing that could make that game pretty good actually is how original the factions are. I think I said it before, but previous games' factions have the been somewhat cookie-cutter, but if they literally just use the established world of warhammer, which would be hard to fuck up, at least the factions would feel original and cool.

13 hours ago, MagentaPanda said:

Paradox DLC also isnt "look at these reskinned units you already have with a faction with one actual new unit that just starts in a different place than that other identical faction!". I actually like paradox DLC, and feel their games have so much more depth and skill involved, and the DLC is at least fresh enough to be worth while.

Go take a look at EU 4 DLC they're nearly all unit packs that are just tweaked base units you can mod into the game. Not to mention to download all dlc for EU 4 and Vic 2 it comes out to nearly $400. For something you can mod into the game. Paradox has good DLC L, but they expect you to pay hundreds of dollars just to complete it in terms of DLC and they're not even micro transactions.

I still never pre-order even with games im hyped about. The only games I've pre-ordered in the past years has been ME3, Fallout 4, and this year Deus Ex. Normally I wait and get the games off some website for a solid 15-50% off even at launch. Of course it's not on steam, but steam's disk write errors due to encryption gets on my nerves from time to time. Most games like these are going the way of Fireaxis with civ 5 where the base game is good, but the DLCs and Expansions truly make the game. Same will probably be said about Fallout 4 because it didn't live up to its hype, but the DLCs will probably make that game fantastic in the years to come. TW has been doing that for some time as well. Atilla>Rome 2 and for Shogun 2 it was Fall of the Samurai that made that game for me. 

9 hours ago, Assad said:

Go take a look at EU 4 DLC they're nearly all unit packs that are just tweaked base units you can mod into the game. Not to mention to download all dlc for EU 4 and Vic 2 it comes out to nearly $400. For something you can mod into the game. Paradox has good DLC L, but they expect you to pay hundreds of dollars just to complete it in terms of DLC and they're not even micro transactions.

you realise you can get the full game play experience without buying the sprite packs, music etc?