_Assad

TW: Warhammer

9 hours ago, Assad said:

Go take a look at EU 4 DLC they're nearly all unit packs that are just tweaked base units you can mod into the game. Not to mention to download all dlc for EU 4 and Vic 2 it comes out to nearly $400. For something you can mod into the game. Paradox has good DLC L, but they expect you to pay hundreds of dollars just to complete it in terms of DLC and they're not even micro transactions.

It's why I split Paradox's DLC up into two groups, the mechanics DLC (Art of War, Cossacks) and all the unit packs/music/etc. I personally don't have much of an issue with this because Paradox only really advertises/promotes the former and tells you explicitly through dev diaries what each mechanics DLC will contain. The Cossacks for example overhauled horde gameplay, so can be seen as "mandatory" only if one is a big fan of hordes. Any other changes associated with Paradox's DLC typically come with free patches (like the huge province expansion in Art of War and the development system in Common Sense) so don't require purchasing. It's not a perfect system, but at least it's better than trying to push the player to buy unlocks for additional factions like MagentaPanda mentioned.

11 hours ago, Shade421 said:

One thing that kind of worries me is the castle siege in the second one. It looks like the battle map is restricted and only a small part of the city is actually part of the battle map. AFAIK, that's a first for a TW game. In Empire and Napolean, I know it was just the defensive forts and not the cities themselves you would fight over, but in Rome 2, Attila, Shogun 2, and Medieval 2, it was always the whole city, including coasts and whatnot that you fought on, and could attack any part of it.

If they only allow combat in parts of cities I'll be pissed, I've gotten used to breaking numerically superior enemies in towns in Rome II by dancing around the different attack lanes. Hopefully this is just a test map, because taking away strategic options in a strategy game is never a good idea.

2 hours ago, methebest said:

you realise you can get the full game play experience without buying the sprite packs, music etc?

Yes, i also realize about half of the major dlc, from 15-30 dollars arent worth it. Having logged over 300 hours into the game. Point was that its needless DLC whoring. They could take half of the DLC they put out and combine it into something worthwhile. I dont like having to pay $15 per change in gameplay mechanic when they could just bundle them for $30 as a major expansion like Civ does.

Also EU 4 is far less villanious compared to Vic 2 where the DLC whoring is akin to something like Train simulator with all $2,000 of DLC :serb:

18 minutes ago, methebest said:

The important ones are major expansions that take time to develope

That's not the point. They could add more to the expansions with the dumb sprite packs, unit packs, and even more gameplay mechanics without showering you in DLC. In civ 5 G&K and BNW offer a shitload more content like significant gameplay changes, more nations with unique abilities, music, etc. Overall the DLC in a game like that offers more bang for buck. CA is a piece of shit like any other major dev nowadays shelling out micro transactions and other worthless add ons. Paradox may be less infamous for it, but are by no means Saints so many people claim them to be. 

I am not going tto preorder this. Mostly because I have huge doubts that CA can manage to get a decent battle AI going that handles the Warhammer monsters well. Given how the AI used to struggle with pikes and horse archers even in later versions of Rome II I highly doubt that they can get it to handle the likes of steam tanks, demons and other monsters Warhammer will confront it with.

No mods is also a deal breaker for me. So far every TW game in the Warscape engine had at least something I wanted to change. While most of the things I change are minor (like no Eye for the Ladies trait in SII FotS) sometimes they aren't (camera overhaul mod for Rome II, or a slightly sped up research in FotS). Given Games Workshops policy towards mods I doubt that there won't be some sort of actions against community mods done without the steam workshop.

I have it on pre order from a non steam website at $35 as a Warhammer fan they cucked me into a pre order. I've dealt with bethesda bugs, so as infuriating a TW game can be in terms of AI and the load on the system; they still dont hold a candle to skyrim or fallout 3.

23 minutes ago, TheEmptyLord said:

No mods is also a deal breaker for me. So far every TW game in the Warscape engine had at least something I wanted to change. While most of the things I change are minor (like no Eye for the Ladies trait in SII FotS) sometimes they aren't (camera overhaul mod for Rome II, or a slightly sped up research in FotS). Given Games Workshops policy towards mods I doubt that there won't be some sort of actions against community mods done without the steam workshop.

No official support for modding is not the same thing as the game being incapable of being modded. Don't get yer knickers in a twist just yet.

Used to be a point where I would automatically buy CA games full price.  Got burnt by Empire, so I didn't bother with the expansions; and the last was Rome 2 which was the start of really shady pre-order practices (no Greeks for you unless you preorder!).  Its not that the earlier games were more stable, people who think they were have very short memories - but they were playable and fun other than the broken mess Empire and Rome 2 shipped in.  In Empire, the opposition was initially allergic to the sea and you could field the mortars of doom, while Rome 2 was essentially a large scale rugby simulator with a teethgrinding civil war mechanic.

So the shady pre-order practices continue, along with an inflated price (which was subsequently reduced in the UK, can't see that being anything other than the result of bad PR).  Its not encouraging, particularly with the current rep of launch states.  That, and being in bed with Games Workshop, who are a miserable bunch of thieving bastards that have only acknowledged video games now that the rest of their business has fallen on its arse.

9 hours ago, PantsOfGlory said:

Used to be a point where I would automatically buy CA games full price.  Got burnt by Empire, so I didn't bother with the expansions; and the last was Rome 2 which was the start of really shady pre-order practices (no Greeks for you unless you preorder!).  Its not that the earlier games were more stable, people who think they were have very short memories - but they were playable and fun other than the broken mess Empire and Rome 2 shipped in. 

People focus hard on Rome 2 for faction pay walla but Shogun 2 actually started it with the Ikko Ikki. I guess it just wasn't quite so apparent as people don't immediately think I wanna play the Ikko Ikki but do with Greece. Was such a minor part of Shogun 2 I forgot about it as well.

Very true, but the faction packs in Shogun 2 were more of a case of 'oh look, another faction with the same bloody units' rather than something with a bit more variety.  A bit.  Shogun 2 was actually pretty competent, but always suffered with me because I couldn't give a shit about the history there. Realm Divide, while initially hideous (pretty devastating the first time around, eh?) was actually a really good way of keeping you playing rather than the usual stockpile money then flatten everyone process.  So much better than the initial way Civil War was implemented in Rome 2, which was absolute bum.  Remains to be seen what they'll do to maintain interest in Warhammer; I'm not convinced.  The roster is not very expansive or impressive either.  Spearmen.  Or spearmen NOW WITH ADDED SHIELDS.

Medieval 3 please.

One of the few Games I ever preordered whith the expectation of it being a broken piece of shit at launch.

The game looks fun enough. Considering the amount of work people put into Warhammer mods for various other TW Games I expect a perfectly balanced game vs a capable AI sooner or later, so I might as well unlock Chaos for free.

What really grinds my gears is HOW THE FUCK IS BRETONIA NOT A PLAYABLE RACE, ITS ALREADY IN THE GAME YOU DAMN FUCKWITS AT CA!

either way.... Wood Elves, Mercenaries, Ogres, Lizardmen, whatever doesn't get a proper release in time will get modded in anyway.

5 hours ago, _Assad said:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/total_war_warhammer_will_support_directx_12/1

This is actually pretty surprising for a TW game off of launch. Still prepared to get shafted for a flop though, I still want either way.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, my GTX 970 is finally paying off :-)

Just now, OOPMan said:

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, my GTX 970 is finally paying off :-)

I bought a 6600k for this game and to future proof my PC. Even if the game is shit I can still play it with good FPS :serb:

Just now, _Assad said:

I bought a 6600k for this game and to future proof my PC. Even if the game is shit I can still play it with good FPS :serb:

Some weird shit in that article tho: " Creative Assembly has chosen AMD as exclusive GPU partner to bring Total War: Warhammer as a DirectX 12 game to market.".

What does that even mean? DX12 is vendor independent? Are they basically saying they're not going to bother optimising the DX12 experience for non-AMD cards? FML.

6 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Some weird shit in that article tho: " Creative Assembly has chosen AMD as exclusive GPU partner to bring Total War: Warhammer as a DirectX 12 game to market.".

What does that even mean? DX12 is vendor independent? Are they basically saying they're not going to bother optimising the DX12 experience for non-AMD cards? FML.

No they've gone with AMD in the past and NVidia has run better. Chances are just like in BF3/4 that they'll be bundled up in some sort of deal. Aside from that the 970 and 390 should be pretty much equal in terms of performance. With the R9 400 series slated for a release next month chances for a package are pretty high imo.

On 4/6/2016 at 11:16 AM, GoddamnMoistOwlettesTesla said:

One of the few Games I ever preordered whith the expectation of it being a broken piece of shit at launch.

The game looks fun enough. Considering the amount of work people put into Warhammer mods for various other TW Games I expect a perfectly balanced game vs a capable AI sooner or later, so I might as well unlock Chaos for free.

What really grinds my gears is HOW THE FUCK IS BRETONIA NOT A PLAYABLE RACE, ITS ALREADY IN THE GAME YOU DAMN FUCKWITS AT CA!

either way.... Wood Elves, Mercenaries, Ogres, Lizardmen, whatever doesn't get a proper release in time will get modded in anyway.

They are actually making 3 of these games to incorporate all of the armies from WH and will eventually open the ENTIRE game world to be played at once.

8 hours ago, Trobs said:

They are actually making 3 of these games to incorporate all of the armies from WH and will eventually open the ENTIRE game world to be played at once.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

On 04/05/2016 at 4:37 PM, OOPMan said:

It means it'll be a gaming evoled title rather than a twimtbp title, which generally mean it'll use more open ways of doing things. So wont affect you in a negative way with your nvidia gpu. Not that it'd run well on launch either way, due to being a tw game.

19 hours ago, Trobs said:

sadly its still very unlikely to get Mercenaries, Albion, Cathay, Ind or Dragon Isles from a official game

41 minutes ago, MetGreDKo said:

Angry Joe actually streamed it the other night. Looks like another one I'll be skipping.

Really? It got a pretty decent review from Eurogamer.

Welp, pre-load begun. Looking forward to going Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!