_Assad

TW: Warhammer

4 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Really? It got a pretty decent review from Eurogamer.

Welp, pre-load begun. Looking forward to going Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

I want. But potato PC. 

12 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Really? It got a pretty decent review from Eurogamer.

Didn't Rome 2 & Empire also get good reviews? Not that I believe it will be a buggy mess; I'm sure it'll be just fine. The game play just doesn't grab my interest.

2 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

Didn't Rome 2 & Empire also get good reviews? Not that I believe it will be a buggy mess; I'm sure it'll be just fine. The game play just doesn't grab my interest.

The game themselves got good reviews, but most of the reviews I've been watching are rigs closer in spec towards my own. And so far this game might be one of if not the most well optimized CA game to date.

8 hours ago, _Assad said:

The game themselves got good reviews, but most of the reviews I've been watching are rigs closer in spec towards my own. And so far this game might be one of if not the most well optimized CA game to date.

Rome 2 also looked fine in reveiws.

10 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

The game play just doesn't grab my interest.

You filthy heretic. Scurry back to your burrow ;-)

I bought it and am running 50-70 FPS on 1440p with large armies. When I downgrade to 1080p im sitting at 80fps constantly. 

This is with my 6600k sitting at 4.2 GHZ. Game is gud!

btw graphics settings are all Ultra

The game is definitely good, haven't played enough yet to see if the grand strategy is any better or worse than in previous games, but the battles themselves are very good, and certainly the best in the series, which is not terribly surprising given the far greater diversity Warhammer offers over the historical games.

Performance with my GTX 970 is pretty good at 1080p. Playing Orks. It's been ages since I played a TW game. Will be interested to see how fun it is compared to Battlefleet Gothic (Which takes some getting used to but once you're hooked...)

12 hours later I'm completely sold. It runs exceptionally well. I was pulling 35-50 FPS on high while streaming from the same machine at 3500k bitrate. That's amazing. WoT can't even do that.

I effed up my initial start as the Greenskins and had to restart, but now I'm almost 200 turns in and own the badlands/most of the eastern mountains.

Giant spiders are OP btw.

I'm 80 turns in and well entertained so far. The AI had not been terrible until now. The Greenskins had 2 full stacks - quite intimidating - and I got to my settlement with two of my own armies just in time to defend.... then the AI attacks with 1 stack. Quite funny though :=

Welp, already lost my first game as Orks. Got gang-banged by Dwarves from the north and south. FML.

39 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Welp, already lost my first game as Orks. Got gang-banged by Dwarves from the north and south. FML.

Don't get involved into a multi-front war. Use your first turn to recruit more boys, then take out the army that sits temping you and go for the closest settlement. Then prepare for Dorf gangbag around turn 20.

I started a Stuntie campaign - Ho, ly, shit.

How to win at Dorfs. Recruit 10 Basic shield/axe units, fill in the rest of the army with any ranged/arty. Keep ranged units behind melee units. Win. I managed to take Black Crag from the Greenskins within 20 turns. I am in love with em.

@Trobs I didn't have a choice. As soon as I captured the one Red Fang city I got attacked on all sides.

This is going to sound like heresy but I'm actually not enjoying this game too much so far. I dunno, maybe the fact I OD'ed in Rome back in the mid 2000s killed TW for me :-/

Probably going to head back to Battlefleet for now...

Is the siege AI any better than in previous games? That's always been the big stumbling block in TW games for me. Campaigns start off fun, but after a while you're just slaughtering helpless AI in siege after siege.

~100 turns into an Empire campaign.

I've convinced 3 of the minor Empire offshoots to join, and killed the Vampire Counts.  But Chaos....

Chaos wiped out Kislev, Ostland, Middenland and half of Nordland.  I've reclaimed the north, but 15 champions spawned in Reikland, while 12 other champions were spawning in Reikland to join 22 other champions who had spawned in Reikland.  They also sent an army to complement the 3 existing armies who had been joined by 4 more armies that each had 3 more armies in tow.  Also, there were somewhere between 2 and 9087097842 other armies running around with 7 total troops, just being a general nuisance and always having slightly more movement available than any of my armies.  

Apparently, all that Chaos annoyance was only from itty bitty Chaos waves.  The full on invasion hit later.  4 named champions with armies, and a random full stack.  Fortunately, I had both of my legendary commanders with full armies nearby, and a large (but weak) random army, and another half sized fodder army.  Lost two of those armies, but managed to send Chaos back to the Eye Wastes.  

Next turn, confederation restriction cleared, allowing me to pick up the last imperial faction.  Next turn, I was able to resettle the last province needed to complete the campaign.  

Will play again, just need to pick a faction.  Dorfs?  Maybe Chaos?

I tried Dwarfs on hard for my first campaign. Things went really smooth until I reinstalled windows. Kinda boring faction with really strong standard troops - I just spammed quarrelers and dwarf warriors. Playing Vamps now but Chaos or Hoomans will be next.

game is 2 easy, looking for rebalance mods and stuff that makes Bretonnia playable.

Autoresolve is broken as fuck, nothing but Infantry and Artillery are worth their upkeep if you intend to use it.

I mean, take 2 Stacks of 20x Skelletons and smash them into a Imperial single stack including high tier units manually -> get utterly rekt

take 2 Stacks of 20x Skelletons and autoresolve them against the same thing -> slaughter them all with 1/4 losses.

Guess its time to look for mods or start programming some.

8 hours ago, GoddamnMoistOwlettesTesla said:

game is 2 easy, looking for rebalance mods and stuff that makes Bretonnia playable.

Autoresolve is broken as fuck, nothing but Infantry and Artillery are worth their upkeep if you intend to use it.

I mean, take 2 Stacks of 20x Skelletons and smash them into a Imperial single stack including high tier units manually -> get utterly rekt

take 2 Stacks of 20x Skelletons and autoresolve them against the same thing -> slaughter them all with 1/4 losses.

Guess its time to look for mods or start programming some.

Nice to know.

On the other hand, I always felt like auto-resolve was missing the point of TW. Without the battles the game is just a so-so 4X...

I've seen a bit of the opposite with auto-resolve.  I win a lot of battles that give me a very low chance if I play them manually, but lose badly if I use auto.  

3 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

I've seen a bit of the opposite with auto-resolve.  I win a lot of battles that give me a very low chance if I play them manually, but lose badly if I use auto.  

Yeah that is true, Autoresolve won't win you losing battles. 

Here comes the "but" you weren't running "optimal" armies in that case. You could just have fielded twice the amount of critters for the same upkeep and would have had an easy time autoresolving the same fight no problem with an army that would have been way weaker. Units like the Vampire's monsters perform really well on the battlefield but once you start autoresolving against Garrisons and stuff they always take a major beating which either gets them killed across a few fights or leads to having to manually play every 2nd auto win match just to heal them back up (or ensure they don't die).

I've beaten 500 imperial men with a single Vampire Lord on Legendary (The Hunger is a really good early game skill). As well as a lot of battles that didn't look like I should win them. I can win the first 3 Fights as Vampires manually with basically just Manfred and his Vargulf (including the Tempelhof Siege).

Still it pisses me of that I can't play the fun units without being at a major disadvantage compared to Infantry spam. Autoresolve should just be there to get rid of annoying fights that are 90% or more on the bar. Instead its a powerful tool that lets you avoid to play the game. 

Archaon came back twice in my game and got annoying so I roflstomped 5 x20 Chaosstacks in 1/2 vs 3s against armies of 70% Wights and 30% Skeletons on Autoresolve - T2 and 3 Infanry demolished Giandts, Hellcannons, Chosen and Shaggots, not to forget about the 5 Chaos Generals themselves.

True.  I found myself using auto against some of those Chaos stacks, knowing that I'd actually do worse against the Giants and such on manual.    But auto was useless against the random 17 man remnant armies that would hit my small town garrisons, even though I'd win easily on manual.

Does anyone know how to get additional hero slots? I seem to be stuck on 1 hero slot despite having at least three level 2 boss tents that I should be able to recruit big bosses from.