Sign in to follow this  
Goldflag

help! crappy fps

On my new PC, the FPS I'm getting is a bit underwhelming. I have a i5 4590 and R9 380 and at high 1080p settings (not maximum), I get 50-60 but that drops down to like 25 when there are a lot of tanks around me. I don't believe I have any heat or airflow issues, so what could be causing my FPS to dip massively. I'm pretty pissed at this because I get similar results playing on my old laptop on low settings that has only an i7 4500u and 730m.

Did that happen suddenly with 0.9.14? How about 0.9.13?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

run MSI Afterburner with OSD displaying:

• CPU speed, temp and usage
  • GPU speed, temps and usage + VRAM used
  • RAM used

make a screenshot of that and load it up here (situation when you have such a drop)

Edit:

Are you using Windows10 and have that "nice feature" of auto driver update?

1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• RAM used

make a screenshot of that and load it up here (situation when you have such a drop)

Edit:

Are you using Windows10 and have that "nice feature" of auto driver update?

I built the computer last week so I'm on 9.14 and have the latest drivers. I use MSi afterburner, but I can't upload it right now.

Basically, my usage of my GPU is maxed out, and my temps max out in the low 60s. I think my CPU (single core) maxes out at around 80% ish and I don't remember my temps going higher than my GPU. I don't really recall all the numbers like RAM so I'll post it later.

Could the under performance also be a result of my unconventional PC setup?

I posted my setup there and my GPU is suspended upright with minimal support and I'm open air.

- upload that screenshot when you can

- If possible send the R9 380 2GB back and get one with 4GB

- switch off HD models and tell us if it changes anything.

- What resolution are you playing? 1080p like your monitors native resolution?

- Is WoT installed on that SSD? If not - try that one out!

A very strange issue I have run into with my GPU is sometimes it gets stuck insanely underclocked (like, 1000mhz below where it should be). It kills performance, and the only way I have found to fix it is just to reboot the whole system. It says the usage is maxed, but the effective power is only like 40% or so.

Maybe check your clock speed next time this happens to see if this is the case?

@Folterknecht if you have heard of this issue/possible fixes I would love to hear it. I tried reinstalling video drivers, still happens.

1 minute ago, SaintLuna said:

A very strange issue I have run into with my GPU is sometimes it gets stuck insanely underclocked (like, 1000mhz below where it should be). It kills performance, and the only way I have found to fix it is just to reboot the whole system. It says the usage is maxed, but the effective power is only like 40% or so.

Maybe check your clock speed next time this happens to see if this is the case?

2 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

• RAM used

Also he wrote that his issue can be reproduced with a high number of tanks around him, so I dont think a drop in clockspeed is the case or at least very unlickly.

-----------------------------------------------------------

-> Luna; I dont even know what your system is, but it sounds like a driver issue.

1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

- upload that screenshot when you can

- If possible send the R9 380 2GB back and get one with 4GB

- switch off HD models and tell us if it changes anything.

- What resolution are you playing? 1080p like your monitors native resolution?

- Is WoT installed on that SSD? If not - try that one out!

1. I overclocked my graphics a bit so the temps went up a bit. I forgot to take a picture of the ram usage but It was stable at around 4gb

Spoiler

50DLOqR.png

Spoiler

vRJKpzt.png

2. I can't because the 2GB one is the only one that fits in my case. There's actually a 4GB Sapphire 380 that is cheaper but It wont fit lol and I really don't want something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125828 since it looks bad and won't might not even fit.

3. How do you do that? I have the SD client but I've never heard of anyone turning off HD tank models.

4. 1080x1920 is my monitor.

5. Yes basically everything on my computer except for pictures are on the SSD.

also there are some graphics settings you don't really need, e.g. post-processing eats a lot of FPS but IIRC only affects the ambient fog and smoke effects on the battlefield that no one gives a damn about so it can be safely lowered

8 hours ago, Goldflag said:

is there any possibility that i set up the amd graphics settings wrong?

yes - look for a game specific profile for WoT in AMDs control center and set it back to default.

Also I need an ingame screenshot as I already wrote in my first post with the OSD/info is listed. Your histogram there doesnt tell me that much, as I m interested in the numbers when your FPS dfrop down to 25-30.

GPU is very unlikely to be the issue, this thing could run on a wooden GPU.

2 main things that affect WOT FPS:
1. CPU
2. HDD, mainly if you run WOT from SSD you gain over 10 FPS easily while also removing all the lag spikes from spotting etc.