Sign in to follow this  
TrOplcThUnDeR

Overlord

My default on this map is work mid. Some times I'll go to the field if I'm in something fast with decent depression, but most of my successes on this map are from working the middle.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2575589#overlord-unitired-is-4

31 minutes ago, Flaksmith said:

Which ever team wins the 9/0 line tends to win. This map favours tanks with great gun depression, everything else gets fucked by a horde of fat tier 10 NATO meds.

I actually realized this playing the 140. I have no damn idea what to do at all. Going 9/0 is a pain in the ass because it seems impossible to get hulldown without insane depression. The hills are damn huge. Tanks can just pop out of them with depression while I can't do shit without exposing myself.

25 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

My default on this map is work mid. Some times I'll go to the field if I'm in something fast with decent depression, but most of my successes on this map are from working the middle.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2575589#overlord-unitired-is-4

In heavies it does seem useful. However, in mediums not so much by the looks of it. Especially since rarely do pubs seem to go there. At least not more than 1 or 2. Running into a E-100 in a 140 in a situation like that is not a good situation. 

Shit map seems to love depression.

43 minutes ago, Flaksmith said:

Which ever team wins the 9/0 line tends to win. This map favours tanks with great gun depression, everything else gets fucked by a horde of fat tier 10 NATO meds.

This, and few mid shots at beginning, after winning 9/0 fuck those suckers on beach :D 

If my team goes to beach. I tend to drive off cliff on them. 

Work the mid.  This map really functions a lot like South Coast IMO, where you need to be in the area with the most lanes of fire at the start.  Naturally however if you see your team making a push or attempting to start a push (hopefully on the 9/0 line) then you go and aid them because pubbies can't hit shit let alone pen shit.

Easier to win the map though by winning the 9/0 line as you technically have the higher ground instead of fighting an uphill fight through semi-open area.

To clarify, 9/0 is the place to go if you have a clear advantage and can push it quickly. If it's a normal pub match however, mid is much better for doing damage, supporting multiple areas, and playing defensively should you lose a flank when your pub team of 48% Rommel's just drives round in nonsense areas that make no sense and create no clear advantage. It's also equally viable to work from both spawns.

I actually have no trouble finding damage on this map whatsoever, from the north I just yolo up the middle right away for quick shots on the enemy heavies and from the south I work the second ledge next to the bunker giving me excellent sidescrapes against their heavies and usually early spots on a lot of tanks moving up as well

When the 9/0 is somewhat decided I just yolo into the bowl right away and from there it's an easy farm

Am I right in thinking that the north side has an advantage in the middle? This spot gets great early vision and damage on whoever goes mid from the south, and the mirror of it on the other side is pretty much useless early-game. To be effective they need to move up to the opposite of where the Mutz is. It's my default go to medium place and lets you relocate east or west once it's clear where the teams are going.

4cRPDNR.jpg?1

As said above though winning 9/0 means flanking down on the rest of their team while winning the middle means you're now free to cross a lot of open ground with TDs camping behind it.

39 minutes ago, Strigonx said:

If you go beach in the early game, you deserve an account wipe and a perma ban

Overlord beach is Lakeville valley 2.0 and every single decent player I talked to called that before it was released.

16 hours ago, Shade421 said:

My default on this map is work mid.

15 hours ago, Shifty_101st said:

Work the mid. 

Mid everytime. I find that 9/0 is very cancer and it has the twin disadvantage of being surprised by hidden enemy retards you don't spot until they shoot you and your team doesn't have any lanes of fire to help you due to the massive hills.

Having said that, this map is fucking retarded, mainly because it punishes people so much for making aggressive moves. That means the pubbies instantly get terrified playing it as they have no idea where the fuck the next shot at them will come from = 7 players going to the beach so they only have to look in 1 direction most of the time. I've had 3 games in the past week when ZERO members of my team have gone middle, allowing the enemy just to pour literally into our base as soon as I died/fell back. It's crazy how pubbies don't realise its the only place to support either flank whilst retaining arty and TD cover from the enemy team and support from your own team.

12 hours ago, Kolni said:

I actually have no trouble finding damage on this map whatsoever, from the north I just yolo up the middle right away for quick shots on the enemy heavies and from the south I work the second ledge next to the bunker giving me excellent sidescrapes against their heavies and usually early spots on a lot of tanks moving up as well

When the 9/0 is somewhat decided I just yolo into the bowl right away and from there it's an easy farm

I don't know how those early yolo shots into heavies from the hill don't lead to getting fucking blapped by all the camping TDs you always get in the south? First few times I tried that it just wasn't worth losing half HP poking heavies waiting for you as your own heavies are fucking pussies and won't distract the enemy.

Like I said, early to mid game there are very few places on this map where you can poke without getting rekt by an enemy camper - assuming they''re vaguely aware someone might poke there.

It has the triple disadvantages of:

1. Lots of hidden camping spots meaning you can't spot the campers until they hit you;
  2. Even with -10 degrees depression, you have to expose a lot of your tank to poke for shots in most areas of the upper part of the map; and
  3. There are very few (or no) areas you can attack which would allow your pubbies supporting fire to assist you. Any push usually means most of the enemy campers can shoot you but none of your campers can shoot them.

This map is ebola cancer, and has worked its way into the top 5 worst maps in the game.

Usually go 3-4 line. Especially from the north there's some lovely dips in the ground at the far "western" end of 3D and 3E that should be very workable with relatively low depression but tough turrets. Had quite a bit of luck there in my T-10.

Just wait to pop out til the enemy heavies commit too far forward and engage your fellow heavies around the corner, then start pumping juicy shots into their sides.
Win that corner, then re-evaluate. Give fire support to the idiots that went beach or double back to help east.

Mind you, there's no cover from arty there, so depending on the amount of clickers on the enemy team you either have to pray to get lucky, or just avoid it.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2580854

This isn't that good a replay, as I was just farming damage against defenseless tanks, including a flipped M103, but it does show the position I was talking about.

48 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Mid everytime. I find that 9/0 is very cancer and it has the twin disadvantage of being surprised by hidden enemy retards you don't spot until they shoot you and your team doesn't have any lanes of fire to help you due to the massive hills.

Having said that, this map is fucking retarded, mainly because it punishes people so much for making aggressive moves. That means the pubbies instantly get terrified playing it as they have no idea where the fuck the next shot at them will come from = 7 players going to the beach so they only have to look in 1 direction most of the time. I've had 3 games in the past week when ZERO members of my team have gone middle, allowing the enemy just to pour literally into our base as soon as I died/fell back. It's crazy how pubbies don't realise its the only place to support either flank whilst retaining arty and TD cover from the enemy team and support from your own team.

I don't know how those early yolo shots into heavies from the hill don't lead to getting fucking blapped by all the camping TDs you always get in the south? First few times I tried that it just wasn't worth losing half HP poking heavies waiting for you as your own heavies are fucking pussies and won't distract the enemy.

Like I said, early to mid game there are very few places on this map where you can poke without getting rekt by an enemy camper - assuming they''re vaguely aware someone might poke there.

It has the triple disadvantages of:

1. Lots of hidden camping spots meaning you can't spot the campers until they hit you;
  2. Even with -10 degrees depression, you have to expose a lot of your tank to poke for shots in most areas of the upper part of the map; and
  3. There are very few (or no) areas you can attack which would allow your pubbies supporting fire to assist you. Any push usually means most of the enemy campers can shoot you but none of your campers can shoot them.

This map is ebola cancer, and has worked its way into the top 5 worst maps in the game.

Play the man and not the odds. There's just no way they get any angles to get penetrating shots on me, and it's the very first thing I do so most TDs won't be in position and since I run optics on most stuff now I simply rek them too if they dare fire at me. The only problem is arty for me which is a problem everywhere anyway. 

Also let me clarify by not going up at the lighthouse, rather along bowl ridge to make the house cover the only angle that's dangerous (people sitting on the corner of the ridge). I've never even been hit by TDs there until I actually went over. I only really bail from there against strong turrets with depression (by pulling back, they can't shoot me without going up which means I can just drive out and shoot them again while still hulldown) and then I either go brawl with heavies or farm from the bowl. I have a lot of good games on Overlord and it's not near the big five.

1. Mountain Pass - simply no way to play as a team or support anywhere unless you're like 5m behinf the tank which you want to support, far too little open areas and east is given WAY more map control simply by map design. Impossible to comeback as well due to NO firing lines to kite the opponent at all. Complete utter trash

2. Mines Encounter - all it takes is a single red player on any of the teams and the game will be over by cap asap giving you like 3min tops to do any form of impact

3. Highway - This map is won by MM more than skill which is also complete bullshit. Give one team two more meds and they can just steamroll the north in less than 3 minutes, and then they cap while they crossfire the shit out of your heavies for even trying to decap. If you somehow were able to decap you instead have heavies shooting your ass, giving up shitloads of HP because MM told you so.

It's usually on OK map but it's a divine flaw in map design.

Windstorm and Airfield are tied then for due to shitlordery