Steel_Six

How much has a computer upgrade improved your game?

This question is for  anyone who's migrated from an older computer setup to a newer one and what effect that has had on your 'skill' level. Does going from low frame rates at the lowest graphics settings to smoother higher frame rates with more of the graphics included in the field of vision change the level at which you're able to play the game, or was it a wash? 

I got to #1 recents on NA server on a 5 year old laptop. Had to run texture compression mods, and generally was at 20fps. Computers dont matter. 

(Totes not approving this in APP though, wrong area)  

Being "good" at WoT relies a lot more on map knowledge, positioning, knowing armour models, reading the minimap and general game-sense than how quickly and accurately you can snap onto targets. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying being able to aim well is not an essential skill, I'm just saying its not quite as influential as the others. In saying that, if you are getting below 15 FPS then you are definitely hampering yourself by playing at such a low frame-rate as you'll be missing shots on fast moving targets and most probably losing frames in high-activity areas which just compounds the problem. Now as far as graphics goes, I could run WoT easily on maximum, but would choose to run low settings because generally higher graphics means more objects and shit on your screen which can distract and obstruct your vision, the grass and smoke effects in sniper mode is a good example.

Well for me it is working another way :(.

I've finally upgrade my 8 years old computer to something a little bit better, outside of GPU and HDD. So I had 20+ FPS on minimum, and now I've 100+ on low (with everything max out), but I've had around 2000 wn8 per weak and now I've 1000 wn8 for last one.

For sure it is a very small amount of data, but still it surprise me as hell...

I will post it again with data after the next week, we will see if I get used to it and back to old values.

Itll take some adjustment, especially if you got a new keyboard and/or mouse.

I recently upgraded my mouse from a basic old ass HP mouse to a fancy new razor mouse, I wanna say the m48. Took some time to get used to the new feel of it. I built a way better computer about a year ago give or take, didnt pay strict attention to changes in my performance but I imagine if youre going from a straight shitbox to something decent youll have to adjust to that to.

Youre used to leading by a certain amount due to fps issues and now its changed ever so slightly so thats going to have an impact IMO. Just give it some time.

I upgraded my computer in November and my WN8 recent went up like 200 or so. Pretty much only effect my computer has for this, is the fact that it won't freeze now when I peak from corner and spot 7-8 tanks. Old one just freezed and I couldn't do shit when enemies put me full of holes. 

Then again whole playing experience is much better with full graphics and 80-90 fps compared to minimal graphics and 20-30 fps.

A good PC and good internet will make you play better. How much depends on your game knowledge about map position, weak spots, map awareness and so on.

I felt it myself, before was playing on a laptop and when I was getting 30-40 fps it was party time, but if there were more than 6 tanks in a brawl 15 fps was all I had. After I bought a desktop it was like changing my 100 hp car to a 1000 hp one.

I drop into the mid teens when I get into complex situations on city maps, and when there's more than 3 tanks in one area on an open map. I haven't frozen yet, but I do get some jittery movements when the battles become hectic. 

I do have problems getting silhouettes of tanks in dense underbrush, but that might be related more to how well they are hidden as opposed to the graphics capabilities of my comp. 

As others have stated already, knowing what to do (map awareness, reacting to situations, knowing tanks, etc.) will help you out more than having better equipment than who you're playing against.

That being said, I have found that I'm playing a lot better on my new build rather than my old crap laptop. Trying to play with low frame rates on minimum settings is much more difficult than playing with ~100 FPS on high (I know some will say it doesn't make a difference, and yes I agree you can overcome and you don't need top of the line equipment to be good and overcome stupid, but tbh it does help out a bit if you already are a competent player). It could be that I actually figured out how to semi-play at that time, but it was almost right on par with when i switched over, plus a little time to allow for looking at all the pretty maps that were no longer blocks, and getting used to the new keyboard, mouse, etc.

uh...

In my recent sessions in my 140, I score around 3k-3.5k DPG in my Mac(RMBP13 running tonks like barely 30fps@lowest) and 3.5k-4k in my Aorus X3(basically Razer blade 14 made by gigabyte)

As PityFool said, playing below 15 fps will affect how well you perform. I played my first 8k Battles on a Laptop getting around 10-15 fps usually. Leading shots were very hard, and I found myself having to autoaim many shots due to screen almost freezing when entering scoped mode. This also makes tracking people while doing damage abit trickier. As soon as I got myself a new pc I started performing better, so for me it really had an impact on my gameplay.

On 04/01/2016 at 9:18 AM, Machiav said:

Well for me it is working another way :(.

I've finally upgrade my 8 years old computer to something a little bit better, outside of GPU and HDD. So I had 20+ FPS on minimum, and now I've 100+ on low (with everything max out), but I've had around 2000 wn8 per weak and now I've 1000 wn8 for last one.

For sure it is a very small amount of data, but still it surprise me as hell...

I will post it again with data after the next week, we will see if I get used to it and back to old values.

Next week: 1500. Damn I don't have time to play:

1. 4 month old son,

2. work,

3. Street protests

Will update after I recieve IS-3a and german buldog.

9 hours ago, Machiav said:

Next week: 1500. Damn I don't have time to play:

1. 4 month old son,

2. work,

3. Street protests

Will update after I recieve IS-3a and german buldog.

Funny, I never played tanks until I had my first kid.  All of a sudden I had tons of time in the evenings because I wasn't going out all of the time.   Raising a kid is easy if you're not over parenting.

Oh, as far as the OP:

My old PC, I was sub 700 overall WN8 with barely 15fps. Upgraded to an SSD, was playing at a 1200 recent level with about 30 FPS. From there, I had to work to improve but I did

OK. Last update, After two weeks finally I got back on a horse (or something like that ;) ).

Back to recent (per week) wn8 around 2000, it seems that improving my computer does not influence my ability in any way, outside of those rare ocasion when I am suprised by lack of lagging ;).

Ahh... and one more thing I died few times because I was suprised by view, for example I was able to see a fountain from the hill in Himmels and then when I've stoped in ave BUM.

I just upgraded from a potato that ran the game on minimum at around 20-30 fps to a rig that runs max HD up to 120+ fps.  The thing that has changed for me is that I can now play sniper tanks and TDs which I had a lot of trouble with before.  It has bumped up my performance a slight bit but it only effects a few shots here and there and doesn't make up for positioning or decision making.  I actually dropped a little when I first started because the graphics were overwhelming and distracting, lol.