Sign in to follow this  
Illy

AW History

I've now seen a couple posters make comments about how they took part in testing in a much earlier version of the game, shared their concerns on issues they saw, and were basically ignored by the devs.  Shot delay and high tier MBT play are obvious ones that seems to have turned off a lot of players but I'm curious what these other issues are.  Can folks elaborate?

1. Russian MBT dominance. Top tier Russian MBT's are only ever balanced once the next top tier vehicle comes out. T-80, T-90, now the MS.

2. Arty. The whole game is populated by FV304's. It's not an improvement.

3. Internal modules damaged by ricochets. I've full HP ammo racked MBT's by ricocheting off the armor outside the ammo rack. Everything catches on fire with non-pens.

4. Incredibly low server population. The NA server will never be viable for high tier PVP, regardless of game balance. It's been dead for far too long and is now pretty much a PVE only server.

5. Shitty implementation of skill based MM. Exactly what they were warned about from the start, forcing good players to carry every single game they play because they're saddled with retards.

6. Nothing in the game AT ALL in support of organized play. The closest you can come is arranging matches in training rooms. Clans don't matter, clan wars isn't a thing, the only tournaments are player-driven and AW rides their coat tails and milks advertising out of it for free. There is absolutely nothing implemented in an official capacity to accommodate it.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that drove me away.

40 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

1. Russian MBT dominance. Top tier Russian MBT's are only ever balanced once the next top tier vehicle comes out. T-80, T-90, now the MS.

2. Arty. The whole game is populated by FV304's. It's not an improvement.

3. Internal modules damaged by ricochets. I've full HP ammo racked MBT's by ricocheting off the armor outside the ammo rack. Everything catches on fire with non-pens.

4. Incredibly low server population. The NA server will never be viable for high tier PVP, regardless of game balance. It's been dead for far too long and is now pretty much a PVE only server.

5. Shitty implementation of skill based MM. Exactly what they were warned about from the start, forcing good players to carry every single game they play because they're saddled with retards.

6. Nothing in the game AT ALL in support of organized play. The closest you can come is arranging matches in training rooms. Clans don't matter, clan wars isn't a thing, the only tournaments are player-driven and AW rides their coat tails and milks advertising out of it for free. There is absolutely nothing implemented in an official capacity to accommodate it.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that drove me away.

I do agree with some of those but several are completely outdated.

1. I agree on the T-90MS, but T-80 and T-90 seem pretty fine now.

2. I do not in the slightest understand anyone that thinks its worse than in WoT, sure they are still annoying and shouldnt be in the game, but I've never really had a problem with them in PVP. They are ridiculous in some PVE missions but that will change soon

3. 700+ PVP games and not once have I damaged an internal module without penetrating or had it done to me. Also fires from external fuel tanks have been massively reduced so it's not a problem anymore.

5. It seems like they woke up and acknowledge it's a problem. They don't want to throw away the concept sadly but the switching around people based on winrate BS will be removed.

Some more:

- shot delay is still a problem for some people

- high tier PVP still isn't quite where it should be (getting better tho)

- bundles with reskinned tanks sold as premiums feel like a cashgrab

- there are still some hitbox issues

And that's pretty much it, atm SIMM is pretty much the biggest thing that makes people leave if they haven't already.

1. The MS is the new top tier...so the ones below it got balanced subsequently. When the T-90 was top tier, it was hands down the best 8, and the T-80 got nerfed. That's what I was saying. It's been the same thing since day 1.

2. Didn't say it was worse. I said it's the same shit. And I am far from the only one who has been saying since alpha that any vehicle not playing by the same rules as everyone else will be broken and stupid.

3. Start at 17:00 and watch that replay.

Chally 1 killed by lighting him on fire with a non-pen. Leo 2A5 takes ammo rack damage from a non pen.

5. I stopped playing before they even acknowledged it was a problem, so good for them if they actually do something about it.

2. Well, I don't think its the same shit either. Nowhere near the amount of alpha and module rape (except guns), warnings, working counter mechanics. The only time its actually a problem is when you for some reason brawl in the open with an MBT and theres a 3-shot arty in the enemy team and your own arty is dead so theres no countering. Any other time its merely an annoyance rather than a frustrating and broken mechanic that can end your session in one shot.

3. As I said, they removed that.

I still manage to damage modules without pen on semi-regular basis. Never ammoracked anyone, but have damaged racks, knocked out or damaged engines and fuel tanks while setting tanks on fire - last time about a week ago, shot back of chally 2 at steep angle, did not pen, but knocked out the engine and set it on fire.

And in my experience, arty is just as bad, especially in platoons. I used to play it for a bit, it's easymode.

One thing I found hurting my experience with it is that trying to run the game off a toaster is prettymuch impossible so I never actually got past tier 3 (it is also horrifically monstrously ugly on min settings and that is coming from a person who played wot looking like this)

53tgDMb.jpg

8 hours ago, breeeze said:

2. Well, I don't think its the same shit either. Nowhere near the amount of alpha and module rape (except guns), warnings, working counter mechanics. The only time its actually a problem is when you for some reason brawl in the open with an MBT and theres a 3-shot arty in the enemy team and your own arty is dead so theres no countering. Any other time its merely an annoyance rather than a frustrating and broken mechanic that can end your session in one shot.

The only thing WTGF gets 100% right is their arty mechanic. In this regard, AW is as bad as WoT.

In fact, it's possibly worse because given the option of two viable system they picked the one which is known to be a cancerous pile of shit. Bad dog, no cigar.

1 hour ago, zapyoug said:

One thing I found hurting my experience with it is that trying to run the game off a toaster is prettymuch impossible so I never actually got past tier 3 (it is also horrifically monstrously ugly on min settings and that is coming from a person who played wot looking like this)

Hide contents

53tgDMb.jpg

Wow, that is awful. What kind of toaster are you running?

10 hours ago, Shade421 said:

If one thing is likely is most likely to kill AW then it's this. We've already seen this shitshow with WoWP. If the server population is too low after a given time period the game will crater.

11 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Wow, that is awful. What kind of toaster are you running?

that thing was a 2009 asus labtop running wot@6% texture compression

I recently (just a few weeks) got not a toaster but I forgot AW even existed :fat:

not sure its worth remembering at this point if they are still this shit at balancing the game

1 hour ago, zapyoug said:

Reveal hidden contents

53tgDMb.jpg

I remember having to play WoT like this around 9.3-ish because my loadtime to match tanked to where I had loaded into matches 1-2 mins after the countdown, even tho my FPS actually still stayed stable 60... The only way to get into match at least 20 secs before start was to play with GameBooster, the reduced textures and defraging hdd every week...

6 hours ago, EndlessAgony said:

And in my experience, arty is just as bad, especially in platoons. I used to play it for a bit, it's easymode.

Then go and toon with me so you can show me the light :doge:

2 hours ago, breeeze said:

Then go and toon with me so you can show me the light :doge:

Here, no plats needed:

Spoiler

I'll be up sometime around 8:30pm CET. Maybe. <3

Well on top of the countless "In-Game" issues mentioned above, some other things i had issues with was the In-game economy and even the Marketing of the game.

Economy:

The Economy in AW is almost the polar opposite of WoT. The reason being that IMO its "easy/moderate" to earn a significant amount of credits in WoT, while earning a significant amount of exp tends to take more effort. Now on the flip side in AW earning Exp is a breeze especially because of the presence of PvE and also the way Exp is rewarded. Credits on the other hand...is an abyssal grind, especially in high tiers.     Now you have to take into account the problems that cause this: Lack of Premiums(or lack of high tier premiums), Population/MM, Constant Exp boosting events, and of course Boost packs.

Now IMO the biggest problem was the lack of High tier Premiums. Imagine trying to buy, equip, and maintain tier 9 and 10 in WoT using only a tier 5 or 6 Premium tank....it would suck. And that is what it was like in AW especially after the Introduction of tier 9. People couldn't earn credits at a pace that would allow them to buy, upgrade and equip those expensive vehicles even with Premium Time,Tanks, and even Boost's. Overall the introduction of Tier 9 was a mistake, kinda the straw that broke the economical Camels back.....

Marketing :

Contrary to what i said above another Big problem Ironically enough, was the marketing of AW.

The Marketing part of AW isn't handled by Obsidian but rather My.com, and so as expected they handle AW's marketing like "Pro's". This consist's of : mistakes in distribution of in-game products, Introduction of Negative/Harmful items (Boost), and most importantly..... Premium tank spamming. My.com fucked up when it came to the distribution of items purchased by player numerous times...whether it be not giving the right amount, missing items, or nothing at all....if you're going to take peoples money you should at least have your shit together in that Area. Boost were retarded IMO because they really only hurt the economy more by allowing people to stack exp boost which only increased the problem of credits and even MM due to people progressing to fast creating to large a gap in tier spread.

Premium Spamming was especially annoying for me personally....Obsidian announces that they will release "special premiums" soon only for them to be "copy n' paste" re-skins of regular Tanks. It was acceptable Once with the Merc. tanks, then they did it again with the ICE tanks, then they pretty much copy/pasted the chieftain and later the BMP-1.... Now they have gone and Done it Again, only this time with Tier 7 Tanks..FFS 

I found arty pretty easy to deal with but otherwise most of Shade's stuff is something I experienced too. I thought the game was a lot of fun up to tier 6 and then I stopped playing because apparently I'm not allowed to outplay BS MBTs unless they go full retard.

Better grind, better in terms of RNG and better maps matter a lot but when you completely fuck up your end game, the most important part of an MMO, you're screwed. WoT only survives at the size it is because the tiers 8-10 are generally fun and more skill based than the rest. I think most people would happily trash 90% of the tier 7 and below tanks because they're more or less ass to drive or face horrible imbalances like getting one-shot but the promise of fun in the end keeps people going. AW does it the other way around, where people get hooked on great low tier play and then it slowly devolves into a No Fun Allowed high tier, where MBTs are the only viable vehicles and you have to pixel hunt or HE spam. I'm pretty sure AW's essential problem isn't total amount of players trying the game but a complete lack of user retention beyond tier 5/6.

I don't give too much for the NA server dying because it's basically always been a shit territory to sell tank games in for some reason, if we're judging by WoT standards. I'm not sure if its South America driving the numbers down but there are damn near a billion people in the Americas, plus all the people avoiding SEA, and yet there were only something like 20-25% of the EU pop online at the best of times.

I've pointed it out before but AW went the way of the WoW clone. Rather than creating something different enough, they used the Clone Tool and tweaked it a little bit while forgetting the most important part. If it's like WoW (WoT) and doesn't play better in the parts that matter, why should I abandon my perfectly good account in the other game?

@Deus__Ex__Machina Economy is not a problem imo, if you have a T7 prem + premium account you make more than enough to buy tons of new tanks. And with all the events I've seen multiple people with 100+ million credits despite running premium consumables on every tank. I only have a T6 prem and no prem account apart from the days from the login bonus and I have no issues at all.

I agree on the mycom stuff though, they need to get their shit together.

Reading all of these I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the one issue lately that's really been bugging me.  Maybe it's just a pet peeve or maybe the issue has been exacerbated by their horribad attempt at skill-based MM.  [Disclosure: Everything I'm about to say is in the context of someone who has only played up to tier 5.]

What I'm seeing is that the outcome of battles seems to be determined very early in the match.  Given that the game is so unforgiving it seems once a team gets a small advantage it just steamrolls from there on to a win.  Along these lines given the nature of the game (highly accurate guns making even MBTs easy pickings, small maps and highly mobile vehicles, view ranges of WoT scale but coupled to high mobility as mentioned making it harder to abuse, caps that often have plenty of cover requiring close engagement to interrupt) I have yet to see a single late game carry.  It just seems impossible.  As such, a quarter of the way through the match, I'm always left with a strong inclination of who will likely win and if I'm not on that side a feeling of inability to change that.  That's something WoT had and frankly it just makes for more enjoyable gameplay to take part in and it's also more entertaining to watch.

I plan on going back through my replays to get better info and see if there's a pretty surefire mark where the above is true but so far I've been tracking which team gets taken down to 13 first (I play on EU where full games of same tier are the norm during prime hours) and they go on to lose 2/3 of the time.  What concerns me is if accurate that's a core design flaw they need to look at and correct.

That's not the only issue, though.  OP premiums at tiers 4 and 5 (tier 5 felt perfect before they introduced the WZ).  The cash-grab nature of every sale since I joined two months ago for a game still in beta (is MY.com trying to fund this on the cheap?).  PvE while a nice concept is boring as hell currently.  The list goes on...

Yeah, lategame carrying is much harder as the faster pace of the game means that the snowball effect is much bigger and it results in steamrolls. This is not necessarily a bad thing though and it makes early engagements much more important and in my opinion, that is more skill reliant (positioning, choice of targets, etc etc) than mopping up a few low HP tanks.

I don't really find tier 4 and 5 premiums to be OP, Zhalo has good viewrange, camo and mobility, but suffers from poor gun depression and the huge size and has no heat. It's good when it can stay hidden, but it absolutely sucks in close quarters and will die more often than not - and staying hidden in the back with current maps is not the easiest thing.

AMX 10P 90 is one trick pony. It has good gun and related stuff, the rest is pretty crappy-ish. It needs a good player to really shine.

WZ is a noob bashing machine and the dream come true for any dirty statpadder ;) but it's easy to outplay due to poor gun depression and being front focused. Get on the sides and WZ is dead. It also has pretty decent weakspots and the armor is actually not that good. Install advanced MRS on other MBTs of that tier, right click to autoaim and you'll go through, since the UFP is more angle than thickness - take the slope away(or reduce it) and it's easy to pen. It's also very suspectible to ATGMs, so Foxes and Pz57 have pretty easy time against WZ especially if keeping the engagement long range.

But I have to agree the cashgrabs are retarded. That comes with mail.ru being the ones in charge, though. No matter how the community managers over at official forums tell you how OE, MyCom and Mail.ru are equal partners, MyCom is only eu/na division of Mail.ru, who are the ones pulling strings as they are the ones who contracted OE to make a game for them. Mail.ru is also well known for being more focused on making money rather than on making quality products. It's a Russian business, this has to be expected. At least it's not blatant pay2win as it was in some of their earlier titles.

38 minutes ago, EndlessAgony said:

Yeah, lategame carrying is much harder as the faster pace of the game means that the snowball effect is much bigger and it results in steamrolls

If skill based matchmaking does what you think it does, then numbers are everything. If the player skill of everyone is constant, then the only  factor that affects the outcome would be the amount of players. Which explains why the more people left on a team, the more it snowballs into a win for them.

4 hours ago, Serene_Potato said:

If skill based matchmaking does what you think it does, then numbers are everything. If the player skill of everyone is constant, then the only  factor that affects the outcome would be the amount of players. Which explains why the more people left on a team, the more it snowballs into a win for them.

Numbers don't play important role because of skill - or at least skill is not the most important. The reason why numbers play important role is the DPM to HP ratio. Pretty much every single tank can kill multiple same tier, or even higher tier in some cases, tanks within a minute. Thus, allowing enemy to poses 2 more tanks gives them enough theoretical dpm advantage to kill about 4 - 10 more tanks in a minute than your team. Couple that with the high mobility of pretty much all vehicles allowing to bring this damage potential quickly to any ongoing engagement and you have the steamrolls that happen. Still, I used to hate them since I was used to WoT, but now I think it's not necessarily bad. Influencing the match is more skill based and requires much more thinking into when to be aggressive instead of just letting your team eat the shots and mopping up in lategame.

The thing with the MM is that if you are good, it by design forces players less capable of applying their damage potential on you while the enemy team has more decent players who are more capable of using their DPM - if there is not equally good player to be put on the enemy team,. If there is then it gives equal amount of decent, average and bad players on both teams.

And it's not what I think, it's what's been stated and confirmed by the devs.

The EU server isn't that far behind the NA server.  One bad patch and the numbers are fragile enough to start the death cycle too.  I don't think it's a NA not liking tanks as much problem as it is players in NA were less patient with the progress of the game.  With SIMM leaving next patch and population being the obvious issue, I think a lot of the class balance issues could be helped with better maps.  I'm not sure any major changes can save it now.  They need a huge population boost, not just a few interested in checking out the new patch.  The WoWP analogy seems realistic, even for EU which isn't growing. 

Well, one thing they could do to get massive population boost is to remove arty, but since MyCom//Mail.RU are completely retarded fucktards, and OE is kinda meh right now, I don't think it's gonna happen. I just hope the tier 10 release isn't going to completely kill off the game until my prem runs out in three months. Q.Q

14 hours ago, EndlessAgony said:

Well, one thing they could do to get massive population boost is to remove arty, but since MyCom//Mail.RU are completely retarded fucktards, and OE is kinda meh right now, I don't think it's gonna happen. I just hope the tier 10 release isn't going to completely kill off the game until my prem runs out in three months. Q.Q

They are doing the exact opposite.  The latest patch granted arty player 40% more credit/xps boost than before.

Artys can easily be a top player in post game result; justification given was arta has no assist damage, lesser hit damage than other tank types.

A way to entice those special snowflakes to stay in AW, probably might work to lure wot one-handed clickers there.