Sign in to follow this  
PityFool

Golf

So how many of you guys play? Hopefully there's enough to keep the thread somewhat alive...

I started playing again in November after a 4 year break (due to several reasons). I'm currently playing off a 12 handicap and hitting up the course atleast once a week. My main issue right now is just completely inconsistent play, my scores vary wildly from day to day and I cannot hit my driver to save my life... Mainly due to my swing generating really high club-head speeds, even with a super stiff shaft on the driver its still whipping quite badly. Something to work on I guess... The swing works really well with irons and hybrids though, getting some great distances and accuracy.

Masters this weekend, anyone got any favourites?

Adam Scott just because Straya carnt.

My local clubs fairways are 90% burrs 5% Kangaroo shit and 5% grass. Still managed to go 5 over par (which was tbh a rare occurrence, usually its 20 over) 

15 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

Adam Scott just because Straya carnt.

My local clubs fairways are 90% burrs 5% Kangaroo shit and 5% grass. Still managed to go 5 over par (which was tbh a rare occurrence, usually its 20 over) 

Lmao, I've played on some similar courses before :doge:  Last couple weeks I've been playing on some of the more high-class establishments around here, including the Pegasus course where they held the NZ Womens Open. I must say its quite nice knowing that when you land on the fairway you are guaranteed a good lie.

Jason Day to win it... pls... i have monies on it (against a golf buddy of mine).

Oh and I have the same problems as you... can't hit the driver to save my life, but I'm good with irons. I like golfing but I don't think my body is built to be a golfer. Short and stocky =\

Just now, Shifty_101st said:

I got kicked out of golf when my driver flew out of my hand and smacked my teacher in the head........I WAS ONLY 8 :'( 

Wow... fuck that teacher. How can you exclude a child from something because of a basic mistake. Probably for the best, you wouldn't want a cunt like that teaching you anything.

I had golf lessons when I was around 13 at the local course (which is literally just down the road) for several months until suddenly the coach stopped being allowed to teach on their course or something. (because the golf club was literally full of snobs and cunts, the wouldnt let the guy borrow a cart to show us the course, even if he paid for it)

Anyway, I was pretty good at it. I occasionally go out with my grandmother to her local course and do a few (even though I barely play and she plays fairly regularly im apparently better than her)

But I don't do it with any seriousness and really its just fun whacking a ball 200 odd meters down a field.

I am playing Golf, for almost 20 years now?

Had a bit of a break and am not really active at the moment, because fishing takes my personal top slot.

But I am member of Germany's biggest golf and country club (Bad Bellingen) and can play whenever I want.

No tournaments though. Just for recreation and spend time with my wife.

Hey there:) been playing for awhile now but mostly social so i need to pick it up seriously once i have the time for it:) Handy cap is 16/17 last time i checked. Also i play with Taylor made golf sticks, you guys have any brands you like playing with?

I live right next to a golf course am I cool yet¿

Golf has to be the most passive aggressive sport I've ever heard of. It's pretty entertaining to watch 60 y/o's brave the sub-zero temperatures of november just to show off how good they are at whacking balls.

1 hour ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

#81forthefrontnineonsunday

Golf is a very humbling experience sometimes :)

1 hour ago, Bludsuager said:

Hey there:) been playing for awhile now but mostly social so i need to pick it up seriously once i have the time for it:) Handy cap is 16/17 last time i checked. Also i play with Taylor made golf sticks, you guys have any brands you like playing with?

I once had a protoype set of Taylor Made Irons (Ernie Els used them for a video, and somehow they landed at me). But I replaced them with a Cleveland Iron set. I like forged irons with stiff metal shafts, not the cast ones. Wedges are Cleveland too, except the gap wedge that is from Taylor Made.

Driver is also Taylor Made (Tour Burner) and my fairway woods are Titleist Pro, rather old ones. Putter: Cleveland.

I've been playing for five weeks. Why the fucking fuck I took up a game that makes me madder that tanks I'll never fucking know. #81forthefrontnineonsunday

Lmao dude thats so true. Now what you gotta work on is shooting 81 for all 18 holes :) 

1 hour ago, Bludsuager said:

16 handicap is pretty decent, certainly above average. As for clubs, Ping G10 driver, callaway irons, taylormade rescue. My clubs are fairly old actually, the newest one is my G10. Next upgrade will be a decent putter.

39 minutes ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

I've actually got a fairly good chip and my putting is reasonable I just cannot drive the ball to save my life and my irons are terrible. I do quite well on par 3s, not great on 4s and 10 on nearly every 5.

Majority of the game is chipping and putting so if you can get that down you're well on your way to scoring decently. 

I've actually got a fairly good chip and my putting is reasonable I just cannot drive the ball to save my life and my irons are terrible. I do quite well on par 3s, not great on 4s and 10 on nearly every 5.

I envy you. For me it is the opposite. I can drive quite well (farther than my teaching pro), over 300m is not uncommon.

Irons are okish, but my short play is plain terrible. I am sometimes able to be close to the green in 2 shots (on a par 5) and then I take 3 chips and 3 putts :eww:

I have a persistent push/slice on my long shots, I duff every other chip, but I'm an ace in the trap (mostly through hard experience). I don't play much lately, but I did play PGA West's Stadium course a few weeks ago. That course is brutal.

I haven't play in years after playing everyday for a couple of years straight when I lived in Florida. I can tell you Drive for show, putt for dough. If you can't tee up and hit a driver, don't even bother carrying them. A tee-box is not a place to practice your driver. That's what a driving range is for. You want to be consistent. If you tee up and hit a 3 iron and it goes 150 yards straight, that beats 250 in the woods every time. I used to play that easy does it, no risk, straight shot style. I'd get laughed at on the first tee, but by 15 or 16 I'd be up by plenty.

That's totally correct, no doubt about that.

But it is also totally not fun (for some people). I prefer hitting 300 with the driver, even if every third shot lands in the woods.

Lost ball, take a new one, play on.

That is when I am playing just for the fun of it with my wife or friends. If I play for the handicap (hardly ever), then: different story. I only played 2 tournaments in 15 years, just to get it down where I am allowed to play every course. I think it is 28 or so. Don't even know.

Normally I play lower though.

Totally agree. I never keep score, play bare foot when ever I can. Some places have tried to kick me out for that. I'm looking at you Doral. Golf can be lots of fun. It depends on who you play with and how you play. Some of my best game I did not enjoy. Company outing with the bosses. Those games sucked. Just messing around with buddies at a cheap course, great times. It is a very humbling sport.

2 hours ago, avandelay said:

Totally agree. I never keep score...<snip>

How do you measure yourself against other golfers?

I used to play regularly...got down to 7.4 index and won my flight of the club championship...but then marriage and children.  Got divorced recently though...so thinking about playing golf again.  LOL

I love the Masters and really don't care who wins as it's typically a good tourney.  Watching the best in the world puke all over themselves on the last 5-6 holes is pure entertainment.

I don't measure myself against anyone else. If I had to play 'Company Outings' or such they would keep score. I always played against myself. If you keep score you are always worried about that number. To me just getting out and enjoying the game was better. You know if you have a good match or not. A number isn't going to really tell you that. When I'm scoring, I do not seem to have as much fun as just going out and hitting the ball. If I messed up a drive, but made up for it with a chip then score par, that feels better than a decent drive, decent chip. Guess it is more how you get a score than the score itself. At the end of 18 you don't need to know if you broke 100, par or hit a snowman on every hole. Were you happy with your game? And that is where golf humbles you. Every game I felt I could be better, no matter the score. I just tried to have fun. But that was a long time ago and now I have other vices. Perhaps someday I'll play golf again, but for now I am enjoying my other vices more.

Golf is hard :feelsbad:

I'm just not able to clear my head and just  focus so I end up failing the drive 9/10 due to my mind wandering somewhere else

Putting is fun though, and I simply have no control on chips. They land where they land :doge: 

But since it's literally the only sport where I walk away more frustrated from than when I got there, I stick to pool nowadays :doge: