Sign in to follow this  
EndlessAgony

My thoughts on how to best influence match outcome

So, I have noticed quite soon in my AW career that the matches result in massive roflstomps more often than not. The moment a team gets 2-3 tanks advantage, they have 70%-ish (or even higher) chance to win by a rather comfortable margin. I have looked into it a bit deeper and have, after playing some 2000 battles, come to the conclusion that SIMM indeed does not influence the match outcomes that much, but it still does - not directly though. The biggest factor in the snowball effect is the DPM to HP ratio. Many tank in the game have damage potential equal to that of multiple tanks of equal tier, or even higher tier in some cases. What that means is that the moment one team has 2 more tanks, it has enough theoretical dpm advantage to kill about 4 to 10 more tanks in a minute, which is quite a lot, especially when compared to WoT where it's about half (IIRC, correct me when I am wrong - it's been a while since I played WoT). Now, coupled with the overall high mobility of the tanks on not that big maps, it allows for that DPM to easily reach the places where it's needed. This is where SIMM slightly influences some matches by giving one team players more capable of applying their DPM, but the difference between 45% and 50% player is smaller than the difference between 50% and 55% player and average players are still quite a bit worse at applying their DPM than those in 55%+ group. I'm not defending SIMM, I hate it, but in my opinion it's not the main reason for steamrolls.

Based on all this - the high pace of the matches, the high consequences one mistake has and the advantage in potential damage one team can have through having only two or three tanks more, I have come to the conclusion that I have to disagree with some people here, who have stated that it's best to sit back. In my opinion, the best way to influence the outcome of a match is to take the initiative, attaining good positions at the start of a match and focusing on removing those mentioned 2-3 tanks on the enemy team before they manage to to get the advantage that will allow to capitalize on the snowball effect, whereas staying in the back may conserve own HP, but will cost too much in overall team resources.

Any thoughts?

AW steamrolls have the same source as WoT steamrolls, ignoring obvious skill difference between teams. You can't respawn, so the combined armor, HP and DPM advantage easily lets you win. Paradoxically, AW's lessened RNG worsens the steamroll effect because people can actually hit their targets most of the time, whereas anyone in WoT can easily miss close range shots - particularly without using APCR/HEAT for extra pen when the shell hits an awkward area.

The question then becomes if the best approach is to hang back and spam your DPM or move up to provide vision for your own DPM spammers and I haven't played AW in so long that I can't really tell which approach is better. It's most likely that attacking play will still beat defensive play in the long term but I also believe that you depend much more on your team in AW than in WoT. If a flank collapses in AW, it's almost certainly GG time whereas WoT's retarded RNG and snail's pace allows you much more freedom in obtaining a better defensive position while they approach, since they can't hit you reliably at range.

I've said that they need to tone down the DPM/HP ratio before, in the higher tiers in particular. Imagine there was a T10 TD in WoT that has 700 alpha with just over 5s reload, thats just nuts.

21 minutes ago, breeeze said:

I've said that they need to tone down the DPM/HP ratio before, in the higher tiers in particular. Imagine there was a T10 TD in WoT that has 700 alpha with just over 5s reload, thats just nuts.

Dunno, tbh I like it the way it is. Fast paced, requiring active approach, etc. Would be a shame if it was to be slowed down.

So it's basically like low tiers in WoT?

I can think of someone who figured out a long time ago that this was the superior gameplay, but I'm not going to point fingers or anything.

1 hour ago, Kuroialty said:

So it's basically like low tiers in WoT?

I can think of someone who figured out a long time ago that this was the superior gameplay, but I'm not going to point fingers or anything.

Kind of, yes. Not entirely, since a lot of the tanks actually have armor you can rely on and the gun handling is really good on pretty much all tanks unlike WoT, but the fast pace and DPM to HP ratio are similar.

It's protection through armor save RNG versus protection through enemy accuracy RNG.  Pick your poison.  I will say though that accuracy mattered a lot more when the maps didn't make every significant engagement happen at <100m, so now you often don't have anything to count on for keeping yourself alive except good positioning.

you cant really compare them tbh, except for the high dpm/hp ratio in both. WoT low tiers are a complete mess, engagement ranges are tiny, blatantly OP tanks everywhere etc.