Valachio

WoT stats vs real life stats

3 hours ago, The_Wrath_of_Neeson said:

This applies to the elite vs mediocre in any profession/hobby/sport/etc.

I fucking love your name/forum avatar :3

I think, when valachio means "wealthy" he means Successful, you can become rich or wealthy through inheretance, or by winning the lottery etc, but being successful is being able to make that money, and keep making money in that such way. 

Similar in WoT, being successful is having the skill to become a Unicum, and playing at a unicum level, I mean, you can easily buy a unicum account, which would be similar to winning money, but you still wont be playing at purple. 

1 minute ago, Assassin7 said:

Similar in WoT, being successful is having the skill to become a Unicum, and playing at a unicum level, I mean, you can easily buy a unicum account, which would be similar to winning money, but you still wont be playing at purple. 

Somewhere, @KruggWoofyWolf is crying while reading this. :brokenheart:

5 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I think, when valachio means "wealthy" he means Successful, you can become rich or wealthy through inheretance, or by winning the lottery etc, but being successful is being able to make that money, and keep making money in that such way. 

Indeed

1 minute ago, Gandaran said:

What if you're shit in both rl and tanks?

RIP

All I know is how much fucking human effort is wasted chasing money. You find out pretty fucking quick that money is just the power to choose your problems. TBH I think we would have a colony on mars by now and alot higher standard of living if humans could stop worrying about money and focus on solving problems, exploring the universe, and creating art.

14 minutes ago, A_Chodeful said:

Blame your parents. 

My parents are bad at being White and weren't rich or Asian enough to put me on the fast track.

6 minutes ago, 1n_Soviet_Russia said:

All I know is how much fucking human effort is wasted chasing money. You find out pretty fucking quick that money is just the power to choose your problems. TBH I think we would have a colony on mars by now and alot higher standard of living if humans could stop worrying about money and focus on solving problems, exploring the universe, and creating art.

My parents are bad at being White and weren't rich or Asian enough to put me on the fast track.

Tbh, I was waste coming into high school. I didn't really have any future prospects.

I envisioned going to community college and wasting my days watching anime, until I started playing tanks, and realized I was actually a god among men. And my life's improved by leaps and bounds since then. 

I have this game to thank for everything good that's happened to me in the last few years. 

1 minute ago, A_Chodeful said:

Tbh, I was waste coming into high school. I didn't really have any future prospects.

I envisioned going to community college and wasting my days watching anime, until I started playing tanks, and realized I was actually a god among men. And my life's improved by leaps and bounds since then. 

I have this game to thank for everything good that's happened to me in the last few years. 

Why were you not in Poland?

11 minutes ago, A_Chodeful said:

Holy shit... 

No. Fucking. Way.

You just solved the one of the biggest mysteries of my life

10 minutes ago, Valachio said:

Holy shit... 

No. Fucking. Way.

You just solved the one of the biggest mysteries of my life

I told you this while we were in Montreal.

Said the same applied to you too, but your path would necessitate more investment for possibly much greater returns. 

52 minutes ago, A_Chodeful said:

Blame your parents. 

Would disagree. While blaming parents probably might happen, from my observations of those around me... it's more like

Blame your circumstances and everyone around you.

Which is exactly like WoT anyway, no surprise. Shitters@lyfe think exactly like shitters@WoT. Same everywhere.

Errr... You guys are underestimating what the 1% is. As of the latest income stats, to be top 1%, you have to have an income of 450k or more. As a physician, I'm barely in the top 4-5% by income.

7 minutes ago, sr360 said:

Errr... You guys are underestimating what the 1% is. As of the latest income stats, to be top 1%, you have to have an income of 450k or more. As a physician, I'm barely in the top 4-5% by income.

Canada. It's only 200k CAD or something. 150-160k USD converts to well above that. 

4 minutes ago, A_Chodeful said:

Canada. It's only 200k CAD or something. 150-160k USD converts to well above that. 

US income stats are much higher. 

15 minutes ago, sr360 said:

US income stats are much higher. 

Yeah I'm aware, but I get to take home about 80-85% of my expenses while in the US (mfw free housing). So it might as well be by Canadian standards. I'll be a millionaire after 3-5 years of working in the valley and living frugally.

14 minutes ago, A_Chodeful said:

Yeah I'm aware, but I get to take home about 80-85% of my expenses while in the US (mfw free housing). So it might as well be by Canadian standards. I'll be a millionaire after 3-5 years of working in the valley and living frugally.

To be honest, the people I work for, now that I've been promoted, laugh at the being a millionaire thingy.

For them, being rich is being able to keep the same lifestyle or improve it without ever working again in your life. Once you reach that status, you are indeed rich. (last time I spoke to them they were talking upwards of 5 millions to achieve said status... I'm gonna need mad promotions to get there. Lets do iiiiit)

On 4/12/2016 at 3:11 AM, blackzaru said:

To be honest, the people I work for, now that I've been promoted, laugh at the being a millionaire thingy.

For them, being rich is being able to keep the same lifestyle or improve it without ever working again in your life. Once you reach that status, you are indeed rich. (last time I spoke to them they were talking upwards of 5 millions to achieve said status... I'm gonna need mad promotions to get there. Lets do iiiiit)

poop

Comparing rich people to unicums is fucking dumb on so many levels Val.

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

You beat me to it.

When did this turn into a dick measuring contest? I suppose when Kewei showed up, but still, I think that misses the point @Valachio was trying to make.

As for in the UK, the point in the OP is very valid, with more of an emphasis on education (there is much less of an entrepreneurial culture over here in the sense that you drop out of school and start a business) - go to uni, work hard, join your chosen profession, make bank, then start your own business/keep getting promoted.

I suppose it's 40/40/20 networking/hard work/intelligence.

It is very interesting, what @A_Chodeful and @Valachio said, there sure is a connection between ingame and actual life performance and plans. Turning 27 this summer and already working as international liaison at a large uni's PhD school and finishing my second book based on EU and international politology; from the first moment I played this game, it became a competition (of some sorts) for me and also what Keweii said, the game itself can be a vantage point to real life too. Most of the ppl our age irl are just doing the daily grind and seems like - however they are not fond of it - they doing nothing, or small efforts to try themselves out as a free person. Of course this case are connected to living standards in Eastern Europe where I live, thus not every intelligent and diligent person can rediscover him/herself that easily but there is clearly a pattern of / to success.

Very interesting topic though, It's refreshing to read and be a part of this kind of conversation. For any kind of typo I'm sorry, english is my second language.

3 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Wealth alone is an extremely poor definition of sucess. 

4 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

go to uni, work hard, join your chosen profession, make bank, then start your own business/keep getting promoted.

I don't think the last part of that is something you can generally claim to be true.

I write software for a living and I really enjoy doing so.

I don't *want* to run a business because that would mean not coding and my promotion possibilities are limited because after team leader you start to delve into the murky waters of manager/architect. Neither is a direction I want to go in as both sets of individuals are generally useless parasites that make decisions that cost people like me time, sanity and stress.

I think it's a rather big flaw in most hierarchical companies that in order to "be successful" past a certain point you basically have to become a useless parasite. This is part of the reason why I refuse to work for any company employing more than about 50 people.