Jump to content
Valachio

WoT stats vs real life stats

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

go to uni, work hard, join your chosen profession, make bank, then start your own business/keep getting promoted.

I don't think the last part of that is something you can generally claim to be true.

I write software for a living and I really enjoy doing so.

I don't *want* to run a business because that would mean not coding and my promotion possibilities are limited because after team leader you start to delve into the murky waters of manager/architect. Neither is a direction I want to go in as both sets of individuals are generally useless parasites that make decisions that cost people like me time, sanity and stress.

I think it's a rather big flaw in most hierarchical companies that in order to "be successful" past a certain point you basically have to become a useless parasite. This is part of the reason why I refuse to work for any company employing more than about 50 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OOPMan said:

I don't think the last part of that is something you can generally claim to be true.

I write software for a living and I really enjoy doing so.

I don't *want* to run a business because that would mean not coding and my promotion possibilities are limited because after team leader you start to delve into the murky waters of manager/architect. Neither is a direction I want to go in as both sets of individuals are generally useless parasites that make decisions that cost people like me time, sanity and stress.

I think it's a rather big flaw in most hierarchical companies that in order to "be successful" past a certain point you basically have to become a useless parasite. This is part of the reason why I refuse to work for any company employing more than about 50 people.

Ah sorry, I should have clarified.

I meant from my perspective and chosen profession (Commercial Lawyer), and other similar professions like Accounting, Management Consultancy etc. Generally, as you get promoted in these businesses, you keep doing your core 'work' (for me, drafting and reviewing contracts, essentially), but you are given more responsibility, given more complex arrangements, more client contact, more networking obligations etc. You don't, however, stop doing the work you started doing as a trainee solicitor. It's the same in the other professions I listed.

I accept that other job roles, such as yours, don't work like that. Being a doctor also doesn't work like that either, as the higher you climb the ladder in the NHS, the more bureaucratic your role becomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valachio is as usual more or less right both in WoT and in life :)
But the assumption that wealth>success>happiness is an extremely American way of putting it.

When visiting the US, one thing that strikes a European most is the fact that everything is measured in $,
even in professions that this would appear contra-intuitive(like math professors in different universities etc)
From a philosophical point of view the US is extremely materialistic.

Quite a few  very succesful  and extremely intelligent ppl in Europe couldnt care less about their money income
as long as you fall down along the median and are able to support yurself and your loved ones sufficiently.
Their relative happiness(what that may be, interesting philosophical question) and feel of success
could correlate 100% with their income and could also have nothing to do with that at all.
(Example: An extremely successful surgeon choosing to work for Medecins pas Frontiers
Salary in MpF == 0 for all practical purposes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Valachio said:

So I felt like writing this piece today.

The perception of purples by the average pubbie is the same as the perception of the rich by the masses.  I can make quite a few analogies.

1. The rich don't pay taxes - False, most of the 1% (e.g. Doctors, lawyers, high-skill engineers) pay a lot more in taxes than the poor; only the super-rich who has the ability to manipulate large amounts of money don't pay their equal share in taxes.  Same can be said for the perception of XVM; pubbies think XVM benefits unicums more than the average player.  Whereas in reality, pubbies who use XVM (especially arty) can avoid/focus out unicums and unicums has little need for XVM (I personally don't use XVM, for example)

2. The rich makes their wealth by luck - False, 95%+ of rich people are very hard-working (80+ hours a week) and experienced many, many failures before finally achieving paramount success.  Many pubbies believe Unicums get better rng, whereas rng actually benefits pubbies (more randomness factor).  Most unicums get good by studying the game extensively coupled with better reaction time and (to a certain extent) above average IQ.

3. The rich doesn't work hard - False, I've met my share of successful rich people and they work extremely hard.  80+ hours a week is a no-brainer for them.  Some pubbies tend to think unicums use some sort of cheating program or consistently statpad to achieve good stats.

The last important similarity - 99% of the masses won't become rich, just like how 99% of the players in this game won't become unicums.

While the myth of the rich perpetrated by the non rich is untrue what you write is also a myth. 

 

1. A ton of rich people avoid paying taxes thanks to creative accounting. I come from a relatively well off family and I went to an elite school with a ton of rich people. Maybe 10% of the people I know pay their taxes without any funny business.

 

2. Poor people work hard too. It is also luck. Not luck as in you found 10 milion dolars but being born with:

a) Parents that are a good mix of caring and motivating so you don't end up a lazy fuck or a fucked up mentally ill idiot that can't speak to people.

b) Parents, school and friends that motivate you, give you examples you can learn on and give you those important connections. I work hard as fuck but I'm pretty sure without my connections I wouldn't even know my job existed (most people don't know)

c) a family that allows you to grow instead of having to provide as soon as possible. I have a ton of friend who benefited from being able to not earn for a very long time since their businesses started earning 5+ years after college

 

3. Yes the rich work as hard but there is a proven correlation between "risk taking" and a financial safety net. A large economic study (I think Forbes or Economist wrote about it) has shown that the risk taking enterpreneur group had a very high representation of rich parents with a big safety net. 

 

Yes you have to work hard to become rich but it's not like you are rich ONLY because of your own hard work. The corelation here is really silly and seems like you only wanted to feel better about yourself. My parents may not drive maybachs but they run Easter Europe sections for 2 big software companies so you could say there are pretty close to one percent but I'm not kidding myself with the myth of rags to riches story. I'm here part because of my hard work and wits and part because I went to one of the top schools in the country, got great connections, education and I got a free flat from my parents so my initial costs after college were low.

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

I don't think the last part of that is something you can generally claim to be true.

I write software for a living and I really enjoy doing so.

I don't *want* to run a business because that would mean not coding and my promotion possibilities are limited because after team leader you start to delve into the murky waters of manager/architect. Neither is a direction I want to go in as both sets of individuals are generally useless parasites that make decisions that cost people like me time, sanity and stress.

I think it's a rather big flaw in most hierarchical companies that in order to "be successful" past a certain point you basically have to become a useless parasite. This is part of the reason why I refuse to work for any company employing more than about 50 people.

This.  Not all managers are useless but a ton of them loose touch with their work. My supervisor and I work as movie buyers but the more he manages the less he stays up with the changing trends which means he has bought some movies for the company that would only be commercial 5+ years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 years old with diagnosed aspbergers (even though I'm basically as cured as can be, hardly notice it outside of some weird habits/ticks I need to do) that's already making a living in a profession so competitive that most people think is luck. (I produce and ghost write music for those that don't know). I was an absolute fuck up in high school, barely had grades at all due to low attendance and that's about the same time I started playing tanks. Well, at least taking the game a little more seriously (14k games or something in) as well as taking my real life more seriously too (not related to eachother but in reality maybe they were). Now I'm probably one of the currently youngest swedes to earn this kind of money in the entire country by my own hand. Dad's an engineer and mom's a doctor but even though I was spoiled as a kid I've lived from my own resources since three years back. But that's not even the thing that I really appreciate about my life. It's the fact that this is a profession that I love. To hear your thoughts come to life by an orchestra really is something special. 

I can do literally whatever I want with my life right now and still earn money thanks to the passive income of royalties, and I don't really work that much more than the regular office guy either. 6-7 hours a day unless I have multiple jobs going at the same time, which in return means I can just take a longer break in between jobs (simply due to prohibiting dry spells/keeping a certain quality).

It's still exciting too. I'm nervous as fuck whenever whoever ordered the music listens to it. I know my own talent but there's still the off chance that they might not like it which means that I'll either have to start from scratch (losing like a weeks amount of work) or simply lose the job. It's a lot of networking but thankfully I got those just by living where I do. (Zara and Lean went to the same school as me, and Astrid grew up next door to my uncle) so from here on I'm already in touch with the bigger record labels if need be. 

 

Sadly I'm still a pothead that will probably never achieve happiness in anything other than my work. But this is what I live for. Some day I might go public as well.

 

I love that I'm successful, and that I'm good at what I do but I don't think that it'll last. I don't know why, but like a good DPG session you know it'll just end some day :doge: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At what point was money the sole route to happiness or success? Do I have 5 houses in china? no. Do I have a bunch of nice watches? no. Am I exceptional at anything? no. Am I going to fall down the stairs and magically become a pampered cat that has the run of a house and garden? no. (which is a great shame because that sounds amazing). Am I content? yes, very much so.

In a months time will I come out of university with a decent degree? Yes. Will I find something to do with myself after that. Yes. Do I want to become a workaholic that spends 65+ hours a week minimum doing a job? No. I've lived with one long enough that I know that is not for me. Does this mean I am less successful because I will earn less? No I don't think it does. There are no 'stats' in real life, that's part of the fun in it. If you want more then sure be my guest go and get it but don't start comparing yourself with others. Its just a long slippery slope into 'well my life is greater than yours because I have a secret lair under the ocean and you dont'.

I'm also really not convinced you can compare being good at tanks with succeeding in life, sure you've put a lot of time and effort in to learning and being very good at the game. But some people don't require being good at tanks to have fun with it. I like having some sense of mastery over a game and testing myself against others, that's why I am drawn to rts, fps and tanks and dislike games like fallout, I don't want the lore etc, I don't find that fun. I have a very good friend who only plays tanks for the social side. He likes durping around with his mates and just enjoys hanging out, how he actually does in the game is irrelevant that's not what drives him. I have yet another that loves the grind in games like runescape, doing exactly the same thing over and over against the ai until he reaches his self set goal. That would drive me insane and yet there he is enjoying himself.

Perhaps you think that what I'm trying to say is a load of bollocks, and you'd be right. It probably is, but I guess it comes down to the fact that I think each person has a level that they are comfortable with and requires no more (whether that would be stuff, money, family members, whatever). Life satisfaction isn't a series of tickboxes get to where you want to be and everything will be swell. Then again these are just one blokes thoughts so feel free to disregard them :).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the original post as to tanks. World of Tanks is a game and, as such, is pretty close to a true meritocracy. (Of course, it is not perfect; there are things like illegal mods and speeding up progress by spending real money.)

Life, however, is nothing like World of Tanks. The capitalist class make their money by exploiting the working class. And all sorts of prejudices help the capitalists divide the workers among themselves. It is not a meritocracy, and it is not fair.

I have to get back to my wage slavery now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hazzgar said:

While the myth of the rich perpetrated by the non rich is untrue what you write is also a myth. 

1. A ton of rich people avoid paying taxes thanks to creative accounting. I come from a relatively well off family and I went to an elite school with a ton of rich people. Maybe 10% of the people I know pay their taxes without any funny business.

Yes you have to work hard to become rich but it's not like you are rich ONLY because of your own hard work. The corelation here is really silly and seems like you only wanted to feel better about yourself. My parents may not drive maybachs but they run Easter Europe sections for 2 big software companies so you could say there are pretty close to one percent but I'm not kidding myself with the myth of rags to riches story. I'm here part because of my hard work and wits and part because I went to one of the top schools in the country, got great connections, education and I got a free flat from my parents so my initial costs after college were low.

Regarding your point 1, maybe this is due to tax avoidance being easier/more culturally acceptable in different places, but in the US I would say that point 1 definitely isn't true unless the crowd of people you're talking about is Yale/Harvard.  And even then, I suspect the tax compliance rate is well above 10%.  As it turns out, despite popular perception, the IRS has both very long arms and is very good at what it does.  The various EU states (particularly southern and eastern Europe) may have very different tax compliance regimes, though, so I can't speak for what yours is like.  At least in the US, though, compliance is high even among those with very high incomes.

As to your second paragraph, I think it undersells the hard work angle somewhat.  It is true that your initial conditions will make success easier (considerably), but it is also true that hard work will make your odds of living a comfortable life much better than they would be otherwise.  Strong parallels to WoT there - you may not make dark purple, but it would be a rare player that couldn't be blue/light purple by working hard at the aspects of the game that are learned (strategy, awareness, thinking ahead) rather than innate (twitch reflexes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, _Juris said:

As to your second paragraph, I think it undersells the hard work angle somewhat.  It is true that your initial conditions will make success easier (considerably), but it is also true that hard work will make your odds of living a comfortable life much better than they would be otherwise.  Strong parallels to WoT there - you may not make dark purple, but it would be a rare player that couldn't be blue/light purple by working hard at the aspects of the game that are learned (strategy, awareness, thinking ahead) rather than innate (twitch reflexes).

Legit, even I managed to accomplish some meh stats even though I can't shoot for shit (and don't even mention blindshots, I have enough problems hitting the tanks that are visible :P ).

Also it's interesting to compare WoT with the world of engineering too. In WoT, you always have to keep yourself up-to-date with map changes, meta shifts, vehicle buffs/nerfs etc., just like in engineering, especially in the dynamically evolving world of IT which I'm studying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xtc4 said:

I agree with the original post as to tanks. World of Tanks is a game and, as such, is pretty close to a true meritocracy. (Of course, it is not perfect; there are things like illegal mods and speeding up progress by spending real money.)

Life, however, is nothing like World of Tanks. The capitalist class make their money by exploiting the working class. And all sorts of prejudices help the capitalists divide the workers among themselves. It is not a meritocracy, and it is not fair.

I have to get back to my wage slavery now.

Life is not Fair and neither is tanks. Fairness is for the disillusioned and those of whom can not understand the dynamics of choice / consequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, A_Chodeful said:

I already have that.

I own five houses, houses, not apartments, in the downtown heart of five provinces in China as of a month ago. But I'd still like to see what I can do myself. 

Money isn't a concern for me anymore, and it's an odd feeling. 

You don't think the bubble's ready to burst any second now in the Chinese housing market?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _Juris said:

At least in the US, though, compliance is high even among those with very high incomes.

While this is true, many parts of the US tax code are written in ways that benefit those at the top.  The biggest misunderstanding, from my point of view, is actual tax paid vs effective tax rate.  I think it was Warren Buffet who said he had a lower effective tax rate than his secretary.  I'm sure he paid a hell of a lot more in taxes, but it might have been at a 9% rate, while the secretary was paying 17% or so.

There are several ways to do this.  First of all, the medicare tax rate tops off at around 115k.  So every bit of income over that is free of medicare tax.  You also have things like capital gains, which have a flat tax rate.  The 20$ per year you get from an interest bearing checking account is taxed at the same rate as the Wal-Mart billionaires getting 9 figure dividend payments.

There are also a lot of nice tricks if you own a business, as most wealthy people do.  You can reinvest profits into the business.  This is usually tax free, and serves to make your business more valuable.  In this way, you grow wealth while not necessarily growing income.  THAT is one of he major differences between the income classes.  The lower and middle classes often have little to no wealth.  They don't own anything.  Many even have negative net worth, since the few things they "own" are truly owned by the banks.  The wealthy, meanwhile, have fewer debts and more assets.  As a business owner, you can also do things like 401(k) matching or health insurance.  Though there are limits to both of these, you can still take a nice chunk off of your top line before taxes hit.  Then, there's section 179... buy new equipment and write it off totally, or get a depreciation write off for a number of years.  Value of the business goes up, while the tax hit is minimal (once again, there are limits on this.  I think it's around 500k right now.)  If you establish a home office, you can write off a percentage of your home expenses. 

Sure, you're still paying taxes.  Probably more in actual dollars than most salarymen. But the salaryman is paying probably 25-30% after write-offs, while the wealthier businessman is paying 10-15%.   Wealth is taxed much less aggressively than income, and it's difficult to transition from income based net worth to asset based net worth.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing. This game is a sort of proxy IQ test. You have matrices, patterns, visuo-spatial, and other abstractions - excepting verbal. 

And I don't know about you guys, but every deep deep deep purple I've met turned out to be exceptional in some way and demonstrated some form of higher intelligence or mode of thinking.     

I've also met some yellows and greens that were lawyers and doctors IRL, even one that was an investment banker, i.e. too busy to care about being good at the game.

As a rule of thumb, if you can be good at tanks, you can be good at life, but you need to stop playing tanks.  

I just come back to this game every once in a while when my real-life affairs are on the lull to remind myself what I'm capable of - and without really trying.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kolni said:

21 years old with diagnosed aspbergers (even though I'm basically as cured as can be, hardly notice it outside of some weird habits/ticks I need to do) that's already making a living in a profession so competitive that most people think is luck. (I produce and ghost write music for those that don't know). I was an absolute fuck up in high school, barely had grades at all due to low attendance and that's about the same time I started playing tanks. Well, at least taking the game a little more seriously (14k games or something in) as well as taking my real life more seriously too (not related to eachother but in reality maybe they were). Now I'm probably one of the currently youngest swedes to earn this kind of money in the entire country by my own hand. Dad's an engineer and mom's a doctor but even though I was spoiled as a kid I've lived from my own resources since three years back. But that's not even the thing that I really appreciate about my life. It's the fact that this is a profession that I love. To hear your thoughts come to life by an orchestra really is something special. 

I can do literally whatever I want with my life right now and still earn money thanks to the passive income of royalties, and I don't really work that much more than the regular office guy either. 6-7 hours a day unless I have multiple jobs going at the same time, which in return means I can just take a longer break in between jobs (simply due to prohibiting dry spells/keeping a certain quality).

It's still exciting too. I'm nervous as fuck whenever whoever ordered the music listens to it. I know my own talent but there's still the off chance that they might not like it which means that I'll either have to start from scratch (losing like a weeks amount of work) or simply lose the job. It's a lot of networking but thankfully I got those just by living where I do. (Zara and Lean went to the same school as me, and Astrid grew up next door to my uncle) so from here on I'm already in touch with the bigger record labels if need be. 

 

Sadly I'm still a pothead that will probably never achieve happiness in anything other than my work. But this is what I live for. Some day I might go public as well.

 

I love that I'm successful, and that I'm good at what I do but I don't think that it'll last. I don't know why, but like a good DPG session you know it'll just end some day :doge: 

Nailed it like the girl you did last night.:kwim:

But seriously find something you're passionate about and find a way to get paid what your worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, A_Chodeful said:

Hey med school reject, i c u from john hopkins

PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt 

>tfw I deferred my med school offers to save up money while you still pad dpg :feelsbad:

Edited by jackquerudo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jackquerudo said:

PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt PJSalt 

>tfw I deferred my med school offers to save up money while you still pad dpg :feelsbad:

At least you have a girlfriend. 

I just fap to hentai. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People with exceptional 'real life stats' probably wont spend many hours playing video games. I'm sure exceptionally skilled wot players will have both the intelligence and motivation to go far; but there are plenty of people with those characteristics, in the same age group, that spend their time doing other things that will safeguard their future.

This isn't an excuse to not do your best in everything you do (including wot) but put time and effort into what you want to be good at, and be good at it. Especially when you are young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gandaran said:

yo what tank is impossible to damage pad it? (there has to be one).

Jagdtiger used to be one that was impossible to get over 4000 for me, but then I played it again after the buff. 

http://www.dpgwhores.com/tanks/7953/

Now I guess it's the E75/VK4502B, combination of being too slow and firing too slow. 

And maybe the Lorraine cuz it's shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...