Jump to content
MetGreDKo

Stellaris

Recommended Posts

I was hesitant at first. The more I looked into it the more hype I experience. Now I just had to cave and pre-order it. I know, it'll be buggy and Paradox don't always quite hit things right with their new IPs. Still, I had to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoi IV > Stellaris im not afraid to say it xD but yeah  looking at the streams of it its worth its price but will take 6 months to really get the shine on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BeyondD said:

Hoi IV > Stellaris

Damn right. It's unfortunate Paradox delayed the release of Hoi IV so far it's now releasing after the next game they put it development, because although I'd love a new, good 4X I'm going to totally ignore it for at least six months once Hoi IV comes out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BeyondD said:

Hoi IV > Stellaris im not afraid to say it xD but yeah  looking at the streams of it its worth its price but will take 6 months to really get the shine on it.

HOI 4 doesnt have the depth of EU4. The same exact studio of paradox has developed Stellaris. Not saying I dont want HOI 4 though. More hyped for HOI 4, but Stellaris is what I've wanted out of Endless Space.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm burnt out on HoI but then I've played them since the very first one.

My only real issue with Stellaris from what I've seen is in how you can only control 5 systems and the rest must be relegated to AI control in what's essentially regions. You can build up systems and tell them not to change what you built up. You can also set focuses. So things aren't going to be too bad. I just prefer optional AI management as in these cases I'd disable them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MetGreDKo said:

I'm burnt out on HoI but then I've played them since the very first one.

My only real issue with Stellaris from what I've seen is in how you can only control 5 systems and the rest must be relegated to AI control in what's essentially regions. You can build up systems and tell them not to change what you built up. You can also set focuses. So things aren't going to be too bad. I just prefer optional AI management as in these cases I'd disable them.

5 systems from what we've seen. It will most likely be more. I think its a move considering the fact that its a galatic map and you dont want to have to manage 500 different systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping it is more or at the least it's a setting in a sandbox galaxy which you can scale with 5 being the fewest. This is something tailored more towards multiplayer than single player but can negatively impact early game development if too low. If it feels like too much is out of your control then a lot of depth is lost but then by mid to late game in most space 4x you have regions that are already developed and producing "x" in loop anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MetGreDKo said:

I'm burnt out on HoI but then I've played them since the very first one.

My only real issue with Stellaris from what I've seen is in how you can only control 5 systems and the rest must be relegated to AI control in what's essentially regions. You can build up systems and tell them not to change what you built up. You can also set focuses. So things aren't going to be too bad. I just prefer optional AI management as in these cases I'd disable them.

I expect the number of systems you can personally control will be similar to the Demense system in Crusader Kings, so it won't be strictly a certain number but will be modified by other things like government type, specific leaders, and maybe techs.

 

The "AI control" of other systems will probably also be Crusader Kings style, where they're actually vassal governors who have their own characters and so have to be dealt with slightly differently.

 

It's not intended to be a Civ style 4x where you always have absolute authority over your empire, it's CK in space where things are much more fluid and less monolithic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the idea of stellaris and just guessing/hoping is you are forced to rely on the AI who makes decisions based on the society you have like a true living empire has to do. Something most grand games never quantify the lack of absolute micro control. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GloatingSwine said:

I expect the number of systems you can personally control will be similar to the Demense system in Crusader Kings, so it won't be strictly a certain number but will be modified by other things like government type, specific leaders, and maybe techs.

 

The "AI control" of other systems will probably also be Crusader Kings style, where they're actually vassal governors who have their own characters and so have to be dealt with slightly differently.

 

It's not intended to be a Civ style 4x where you always have absolute authority over your empire, it's CK in space where things are much more fluid and less monolithic.

I'm certain it isn't a hard limit to 5 systems but penalties are received. A hard limit isn't practical as you'd effectively have fewer than 5 in order to make room for new conquests.

 

The AI control in Angry Joe's developer preview was shown to be akin to other space games automation. You tell the AI what sort of focus you want on a particular system - industry research, minerals, etc. If you already built stuff you can tell them to not touch it. You also can tell them to go right ahead and demolish what's needed. Further you can donate resources to an AI control system if it is developing slower than desired. They're less like vassals and more like provinces. I forget the term they used in the video.

 

It isn't looking to at all be like CK except the AI control to build things. Those regions don't have their own military from what I can tell.

 

 

54 minutes ago, Dirg said:

I think the idea of stellaris and just guessing/hoping is you are forced to rely on the AI who makes decisions based on the society you have like a true living empire has to do. Something most grand games never quantify the lack of absolute micro control. 

I still get the feeling this was a conscious design choice on their part with the no control over battles to make things move faster for multiplayer. This is why I hope the system limit is something which can easily be altered. Most space games really don't have much to do outside of construction and combat. There is no HRE in space to play diplomacy games with so I have concerns with. There is no espionage in-game. In the AJ video they said maybe it will be in a dlc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been reading the dev diaries, and it's kinda a hybrid.  Once your empire gets beyond a certain size you start getting penalties just like being over your demense limit in CK, so you can define a "sector" of a group of systems which basically becomes the automated thing.  Except it's not quite that simple, because sectors can start to develop their own characteristics, eg. population units with similar ideologies or species can start to cluster in a sector, and can generate factions within your empire which affect the politics of it (especially if you're a democracy), and could possibly even cause sectors to push for independence, so they might not start out like a vassal but they could actually become one over time.

 

 

Basically they did it because micromanaging a billion planets is and has always been a tedious chore in 4X games but it's good to have some level of micro for the player to be able to futz with to make them feel connected to their empire.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the extra bonuses for pre-ordering aren't that hot so I think I'll wait for a sale.

Which is not to say I'm not keen, just that I've spent too much on games already this year :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _Assad said:

YES!

EDIT: Time to sell my Steam cards and buy this sucker :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OOPMan said:

YES!

EDIT: Time to sell my Steam cards and buy this sucker :-)

sell steam cards?

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Dirg said:

sell steam cards?

The cards you get for playing games. Saved me a small amount off the cost of the game :-)(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get and sell them shortly after launch as for most games that's when their value is highest. It drops rapidly thereafter.

 

I hope with the robot uprising there's an option to play as them if they split from your faction. It would be rather interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

I hope with the robot uprising there's an option to play as them if they split from your faction. It would be rather interesting.

It doesn't sound like that's the idea. The whole vibe I got is it's meant to be an unplayable AI faction that can and will zerg you if you don't crush it quickly enough.

In the hands of a human that kind of faction would be just OP and dull to play :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

It doesn't sound like that's the idea. The whole vibe I got is it's meant to be an unplayable AI faction that can and will zerg you if you don't crush it quickly enough.

In the hands of a human that kind of faction would be just OP and dull to play :-)

Wasn't thinking of playing it more than once. Just would be an interesting change of pace I'm sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can probably edit a scenario file where they exist to give yourself control of them, but they're supposed to be infinitely OP and threaten to wipe out all organic life if they get established.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought this. I loved Master of Orion II, and this looks cooler than the WG reboot.

Anyone have any multiplayer plans for tomorrow?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not likely to play such a long game multi.

 

I suspect my first go will be to try and stack all the science bonuses and play mad scientist with all the dangerous technologies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, monjardin said:

I just bought this. I loved Master of Orion II, and this looks cooler than the WG reboot.

Anyone have any multiplayer plans for tomorrow?

Argh, have to wait till 6pm CEST to install!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...