MetGreDKo

Stellaris

2 minutes ago, GloatingSwine said:

They do.  3 energy.

I've taken multiple planets from no spaceport to a level 6 spaceport, my energy income never dropped once. I know people say they have an upkeep cost, but if that's how it's supposed to be they're bugged because none of mine do.

I realise that something that would be really neat is a kind of story log that streams together the various major discoveres, quests and achievements you make into a story.

Something like what happens of The King of Dragon Pass.

1 hour ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

I've taken multiple planets from no spaceport to a level 6 spaceport, my energy income never dropped once. I know people say they have an upkeep cost, but if that's how it's supposed to be they're bugged because none of mine do.

If they're in sectors the direct cost will be disappearing into the sector budget, but you'll get less out of the sector.  It's still always worth putting solars on all the stations that the sectors have inevitably built.

The 3 energy definitely shows up in your energy budget, just start a new game and you'll have -3 for station maintainance before you build anything.

What's the best build order to start? Focus on getting them minerals first, or science, or colonize as much as possible?

Minerals are the limiting factor in the early game.  Explore your space, use frontier outposts to expand your reach and grab systems with good minerals until you can afford to drop colonies to grab more good minerals.

You probably want to build a second science ship p. fast, maybe a third if you've acidentally a Warp civ (don't do Warp kids it has all of the disadvantages and basically no upsides*, do hyperlane or wormhole and send your starting fleet on a magical mystery tour, they'll spot planets that you can send your science vessels into to investigate for early colonies and find promising things like asteroid belts that like to have minerals, show you where the space wildlife is so you don't waste time with science vessels scampering away from it.) 

* It's the slowest, the shortest range, has a long cooldown which makes the ship helpless for days, and takes up the most power on a ship.

I personally would avoid spamming Frontier Outposts too readily because the cut to Influence generation can be a real pain...

Been having fun with my race/civ:

Vortigaunt

• Type: Reptilian
  • Pros: Intelligent, Nat. Engineers
  • Cons: Slow Breeders

The Combine

• Ethos: Fanatic Materialist, Individualist
  • Government: Science Directorate

My plan is to grab as many planets (even low habit ones) as possible and spam robot pops while having a monopoly on science. What builds are you guys running?

Also, any interest in doing an MP game?

Currently running Happy Space Penguins.

Materialist/Individualist/Pacifist, Moral Democracy.  Make pops happy enough and get +20% output per tile, which is easy to achieve with this build, plus you get access to the Research Institute and Galactic Stock Exchange for moar research and money.

Use happiness producing edicts to keep pops happy even at war and keep up production.

If I go robots as well and go for sentient AI, Synthetics get +20% to all tiles and can be happy for another 20%.

Have just met the neighbours.  We are not going to get on.  (Evangelising Zealots).

(I'm going to ignore worlds below size 10 for colonisation.  Can't have planetary capital, can't upgrade buildings far enough).

Came across the Unbidden. Unfortunately it took so long to get access to their space that they now own a quarter of the galaxy. I can safely get my fleet to their gate but before I can destroy it they bring in five 16k fleets. Mine is only 30k. AI isn't doing anything because Unbidden don't declare war. My vassal isn't doing anything, never did anything during war either.

I'll have to declare a federation war and have the ai follow me if I'm to have any chance. Anyone with tips on how else to beat this monstrosity?

11 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

Anyone with tips on how else to beat this monstrosity?

Beg vassalage? :-)

My first game to get the feel of things I was playing as the UNE preset race.

My second game I'm running with a race space-faring Spiderfolk. They're a Military Republic with the traits Extremely Adaptable, Repugnant, Slow Breeder and Solitary. Map is a 1000 star galaxy with 10 empires starting from the same tech level. So far things have been pretty peaceful although I am in a pickle research-wise. I turned down Fusion Power as a pick a couple of times and now it's not coming up anymore which is making ship design painful as Fission plants don't provide enough juice for good Cruiser or Battleship designs. I'm hoping it's not a bug but given how long it's been since I saw Fusion power pop-up I suspect it is (Also, researching certain debris I keep getting +10% Fusion Power but this has happened a lot more than 10 times, so I'm pretty sure I broke my power picks. Oh well).

In terms of planetary management I'm not really doing anything special other than uplifting a punch of primitives. Already have two uplifted vassals with two more in the cooker.

The research selection popout only shows 4 research options, and it's possible to have at least 6 standard picks in addition to however many techs that have progress from debris scanning. I suspect the reason you haven't seen it is because you haven't scrolled down far enough.

Yeah as soon as you get something that gives you some points in a tech you are able to research it when ever you want.

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

So far things have been pretty peaceful although I am in a pickle research-wise. I turned down Fusion Power as a pick a couple of times and now it's not coming up anymore which is making ship design painful as Fission plants don't provide enough juice for good Cruiser or Battleship designs. I'm hoping it's not a bug but given how long it's been since I saw Fusion power pop-up I suspect it is (Also, researching certain debris I keep getting +10% Fusion Power but this has happened a lot more than 10 times, so I'm pretty sure I broke my power picks. Oh well).

It did that to me with tile blocker reasearch.  I had planets that are 50% covered in glacier and I hadn't seen a tile blocker removal tech in decades, and the Frontier Clinic which would boost me to 90% happiness on every planet is a super basic tech that it just refuses to give me.

(Both the ones I needed showed up when I started writing this.  Complaining on the internet.  It fixes everything.)

game is pretty fun, a bit to easy i found the only real hindrace to expansion in my 3 sector empire has been influence, keeping influence at least +5 seems to be the minimum, credits and minerals are a cakewalk

The set of patches coming out later this month and June are looking pretty damn impressive. Ship balancing, colony and diplomatic events, slavery changes (hopefully rebellions), diplomacy/war goals expansion (increasing the number of available options), and fixing ethics divergence. Also automatic open borders, fine tuning AI actions, civilian ships moving around, and the wave of bug fixes.

13 hours ago, OOPMan said:

I turned down Fusion Power as a pick a couple of times and now it's not coming up anymore which is making ship design painful as Fission plants don't provide enough juice for good Cruiser or Battleship designs. I'm hoping it's not a bug but given how long it's been since I saw Fusion power pop-up I suspect it is (Also, researching certain debris I keep getting +10% Fusion Power but this has happened a lot more than 10 times, so I'm pretty sure I broke my power picks. Oh well).

Yeah you probably haven't scrolled down enough. Any debris giving you tech percentage boosts will always be available for research.

13 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Beg vassalage? :-)

If only that were possible and would matter. Their borders constantly expand. All life in their space dies. I'm hoping destroying their gateway will stop their expansion. Didn't get to continue last night as I was so exhausted I laid down and fell asleep for about 11 hours.

15 minutes ago, Covalent said:

Yeah you probably haven't scrolled down enough. Any debris giving you tech percentage boosts will always be available for research.

Good idea, I'll try that...

On 17/05/2016 at 10:20 PM, Covalent said:

Yep, you were right. I didn't even know you could scroll that window, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a scrollbar...

Can someone give me a rundown of what the gameplay is like? I have played a few  4x games (Endless Space, Stardrive, CiV 3/4/5, Imperium Galactica 2 that i remember right now) but never one of the paradox games.

On 12/05/2016 at 8:57 PM, Covalent said:

I've encountered a pacifist democracy devoted to aggressively spreading democracy (i.e. through war)

You found space america. :doge:

52 minutes ago, Shackram said:

Can someone give me a rundown of what the gameplay is like? I have played a few  4x games (Endless Space, Stardrive, CiV 3/4/5, Imperium Galactica 2 that i remember right now) but never one of the paradox games.

It's pretty interesting.

I'm going to compare it to Endless Legend and Endless Space since those are the two 4X games I've spent most of my time on recently.

Compared to the above two games Stellaris feels like its more about exploration and expansion than extermination. Which is weird because the only two victory conditions are extermination (Reduce number of other independent empires to 0) or colonisation (Colonise 40% of the habitable planets). The latter condition seems a little crazy to me, especially given a 1000 star galaxy. Even without that, it seems like pulling off that victory would be very tedious.

Combat in Stellaris happens in real-time and is a lot less tactical than what you'll find in the Endless games (Which is not that tactical anyway compared to Age of Wonders or HoMM). Mostly you just build up a big ass fleet that is well armed and tell it to smash stuff. You can't really micro-manage much, definitely nothing like Battlefleet Gothic or even most RTS games as the ships don't have activated abilities.

War is nevertheless interesting due to the system that requires you to declare goals as part of a war. E.g I will fight these guys until they lose enough battles and call it quits and agree to my demands made at the start for them to cede a bunch of colonies to me or whatever. I haven't played any other Paradox grand strategy game yet but compared to the warfare in the Endless games this system seems like a nice way to make warfare have more of a goal than just smashing the other guy till he's wiped out.

Diplomacy in this game is pretty weak, about as weak as the Endless games. While it seems like there are a lot of options too often you'll find that other races are simply not interested in most of the agreement options you can pose unless they're an ally. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but it feels like diplomacy every game I've played has been piss-poor compared to Alpha Centauri. I haven't played a game yet with AI factions that are is talkative and engaging as the ones in Alpha Centauri but I won't pretend to be an expert on this (I haven't played much Civ beyond the very first one because the whole concept of Civ annoys me)

The questing and exploration aspect of the game is nice. It feels a lot like Endless Legend in this way although the complexity of the quests is a bit simpler. Most of them come down to "use" this thing with a ship of this type in order to complete the quest. Sometimes quests have multiple steps but they all seem to boil down to "use" ship with "planet/asteroid/debris". There is a chance of success or failure with these things that depends on the skill of the character which is pretty neat.

Research is pretty simplistic. Your scientists research stuff with the help of the science output of your various stations and planetary buildings. There are three areas of research (social, physics, engineering) that run in parallel and each time you complete a tech you get a random draw of "cards" for your next tech. Some cards are rare while others have the potential to piss off fallen empires (E.g. Sentient AI tech). Compared to the research system in Endless Legend I feel like this system is mostly worse because it falls prey to the same problem in that eventually you'll research everything (Where as Endless Legend actively makes this very hard to do and is great for it).

Fallen empires are basically static NPC factions with crazy power who mostly don't do anything unless you violate certain conditions. Some want space around their borders, other don't want red tech (E.g. sentient AI) to get researched, others just sit their doing bugger all. They're cute but mostly just seem to act as something for you to wail on once you've smashed the other non fallen factions.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. Comparing it to Endless Legend with all the DLC is a little unfair because Stellaris right now is missing a bunch of features and so forth that would make it a top-shelf 4X game. However, this will problem improve as expansions are released and as it stands I find Stellaris to be a very interesting take on the 4X genre. It's not as polished or gorgeous as Endless Legend but it also packs in a couple of new ideas (new to me anyway) that are really cool.

I'm hoping Amplitude have their eyes on Stellaris (In fact, I know they do) because I think we're going to be very lucky to have both ES2 and Stellaris in the same year. 

I think maybe the strongest praise I can give to Stellaris is that it (Like a few other amazing games including Invisible Inc.) makes me want to make my own TBS game. This pretty rare, most games don't cause me to get out my pen and paper and start jotting down ideas that playing Stellaris causes me to have :-)

38 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

War is nevertheless interesting due to the system that requires you to declare goals as part of a war. E.g I will fight these guys until they lose enough battles and call it quits and agree to my demands made at the start for them to cede a bunch of colonies to me or whatever. I haven't played any other Paradox grand strategy game yet but compared to the warfare in the Endless games this system seems like a nice way to make warfare have more of a goal than just smashing the other guy till he's wiped out.

Diplomacy in this game is pretty weak, about as weak as the Endless games. While it seems like there are a lot of options too often you'll find that other races are simply not interested in most of the agreement options you can pose unless they're an ally. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but it feels like diplomacy every game I've played has been piss-poor compared to Alpha Centauri. I haven't played a game yet with AI factions that are is talkative and engaging as the ones in Alpha Centauri but I won't pretend to be an expert on this (I haven't played much Civ beyond the very first one because the whole concept of Civ annoys me)

These are the two areas you can expect to be fleshed out over time. Paradox have largely made the their name on AI interactions and variety in diplomacy/war. In EU IV for example, you can fight a war over border claims, religion, trade disputes, vassalage, personal unions, diplomatic insults, and colonies, among others (not including unique casus belli for the Holy Roman Empire, Mongol hordes, Japanese daimyos, Mesoamerica, and revolutionary republics). Diplomacy, beyond alliances, involves military access, royal marriages, loans, hiring out mercenaries, guarantees, and the entire spy system. The AI will also wreck your face without a moment's hesitation, it's very opportunistic.

Stellaris right now is like a hybrid 4x AI, it's simple/weak and quite passive, but already possessing Paradox's opinion modifiers and a varied ethics/government base for growth. I fully expect something like the EU IV or Crusader Kings diplomacy to get introduced over time, with religion replaced with ethics traits to encourage AI action (already present somewhat with those modifiers like evangelizing zealots). War should also see improvement, already know the next patch or two is bringing additional war goals, but space battles and planetary invasions should see an overhaul in a DLC pretty soon. The one thing true about all Paradox games is that they are never "complete".

@Covalent Trade seems to be another weak-point in Stellaris right now. Doesn't seem like you can trade with anyone other than allies, which is a pain. Overall the diplomacy right now is very limiting.