MetGreDKo

Stellaris

I fund my energy deficit by buying out the energy reserves of anyone willing to take my minerals, which rarely allies since it's near impossible to get a AI to join an alliance.

I just paved over entire planets with power plants.

Then I invaded a fallen empire.

Now I have +1700 energy a turn with ~1000 fleet strength.

Patch 1.2 is out and it has major changes

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/asimov-update-1-2-released-checksum-2352-not-for-problem-reports.953141/

Federation related - War, members (join & kick) are now majority votes. President doesn't have the only and final say on things. Federation fleet capacity is introduced where federation ships have no maintenance (ripe for abuse) and each member gives 20% of their fleet capacity to the federation for those ships.

Embassies are gone & trust is added - gradual improvement of relations from having treaties. Defensive pacts are added.

Colonizing planets now costs influence

All weapon range has been doubled

Core planets is renamed to core systems - this means the only limit to planets you can directly control are based on how many are habitable in those systems.

Happiness penalty while at war

5 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

Core planets is renamed to core systems - this means the only limit to planets you can directly control are based on how many are habitable in those systems.

This is pretty huge!

A few others patches have been released with proper roles for classes, making it cheaper to upgrade ships as well and dropping upkeep on some things. Some unique factions have been added along the lines of traders (give 2 energy for 1 mineral and visa versa), curators (pay 5k energy for 10 or 15% boost to all research) and artists who you can pay for negative  ethics divergence and happiness boosts. They changed/tweaked colonization to be better or easier than before. AI is vastly improved though still not grand. Have a swarm in my game and they've managed to severely slow it's growth. For a while it held only 8 planets with 4 others getting cleansed. That said the AI is losing ships at a rate of 1 kill for 3 losses. When ever the swarm sends it's ships into another factions systems or near the border the AI seems to send ships.

AI is relatively passive, still far too many federations or large alliances for my liking.

I decided to attack a fallen empire with my 50k fleet, deciding to surrender after destroying a ship to research the debris. They has 65k fleet power. I ended up destroying their entire fleet with 28k of my fleet surviving.

Fast forward decades later only one federation in its combined might, the swarm, and a benevolent interventionist (essentially a fallen empire) which has invaded and annexed another faction rival my power. The interventionist is superior in fleet power to myself and I have 145k in fleet power. 

I bought this game when it came out got hooked for a week but then the staleness of the "tactical" battles ruined it for me. Paradox makes the strategy part very interesting in their games but concrete tactical battles have always been very bad in them in my opinion. In Stellaris it started to feel very repetitive how the tactical battles went and there was no feel of really being in a battle and in control that I like, for example like in old MoO2 which I played thousands of hours.

So my question is if the new patched game´s combat is different than when it came out or is it still that ships kinda fly towards each other and shoot missiles and direct fire weapons and in the end something dies and the "battle" (seemes more like an animation to me) ends in a combat result.

BTW I played some endless space too but that game´s universe felt very dead in a few hours, Stellaris didn´t feel dead at all. Only the Paradox-boring-battles made me quit otherwise promising game.

I didn't say combat was different. I said class roles were. Before you could, for the most part, put anything on any ship. Now you have to pick and choose as some things like point defenses aren't available to say corvettes any more. They also increased weapon range a few patches ago.

They tinkered with a different system in their spin off game March of the Eagles but that game wasn't well received.