kreigermann

T110E4- Because it Was There

Hi Wotlabs,

During this last sale I bought the T110E4 simply because I had it unlocked and I need/want a T10 TD for missions potentially. I did a search on the forums and I either failed at using the search tool or there is no topic(high likelyhood of the former, but I've tried a couple times so I'll risk the flames)

There are a few youtubers that love this tank, and pretty much say it plays like a HT(like I ended up playing the T30 in the end to recover from a sub-50wr.. barely) Now, the E4 doesn't have the hull down potential due to -6(?) gun depression and potentially softer turret. Those videos were a year or so old and I wanted to get some fresh advice on whether anything has changed.

Love it? like it? hate it?  Lessons learned? If you don't wanna be a turd then do(this) or don't do(this)?

From the(potentially) lack of an "appreciation" or "fan club" thread is it that... bleh?

For crew I'm leaving my T30 crew in place, and moving a 2-skill crew from another US TD, which means I need to retrain from sneaky.

I was thinking:  full repairs/Sixth/Safe Stowage -> BIA-> gunnery skills(SS/SR)since the thing is slow-ish with a semi-circle turret arc chances of needing SS/SR a lot  in close quarters is optional.

Thanks in advance.

How's the hull traverse rate on it?  Since it's only a semi-circle arc on the turret, you might want to consider clutch braking instead of smooth ride if the hull traverse is shit

I had considered that, but I go for gunnery out of habit. I read (and watched the tanking with science by 4tankers)that off road driving also helps with traverse and overall handling for movement. Would the flat out increase in rotation be better or overall mobility in this case?

I actually prefer the E4 far more than the T30, it is considerably more versatile due to the decent hull, especially in corner fighting. And they are equivalent in hull down anyway, since it is as easy to overmatch the T30 turret as it is to shoot the E4 cupola. Whats more, if you put your gun in front of your cupola in the E4, the cupola becomes impenetrable.

The armour on the E4 can easily challenge T10s due to its lack of homogeneity, allowing you to push a flank decently, unlike the T30 that just gets autopenned in the hull. The icing on the cake is that the E4 is slightly more mobile than the T30. -10 gun depression is totally overrated imo, there are only a few positions on a couple of maps that allow you to abuse it effectively in a slow tank. Saying that the E4 doesn't have hulldown potential due to -6 gun depression is similar to saying the IS7 doesn't have hulldown potential.....

Just don't think of the E4 as a TD, think of it as a slightly different version of the E100. Fight on the front lines and butter IS7 turrets with 375 pen apcr.

9 minutes ago, Bohan said:

And they are equivalent in hull down anyway, since it is as easy to overmatch the T30 turret as it is to shoot the E4 cupola. Whats more, if you put your gun in front of your cupola in the E4, the cupola becomes impenetrable.

Two things here:

1. The T30 turret is not the same as the T34/T29 turret. Overmatching it is really freaking hard in comparison to just plowing through that big dumb cupola on the E4. The E4's cupola is like 5x larger than the T30's roof.
  2. Even if the T30 did have the same turret as the T34, it's still way better. My favorite thing to do to E4s is to load gold and just go straight through the mantlet. A big 250mm flat mantlet with 240mm cheeks is a joke at T10.
Just now, Rexxie said:

Two things here:

1. The T30 turret is not the same as the T34/T29 turret. Overmatching it is really freaking hard in comparison to just plowing through that big dumb cupola on the E4. The E4's cupola is like 5x larger than the T30's roof.
  2. Even if the T30 did have the same turret as the T34, it's still way better. My favorite thing to do to E4s is to load gold and just go straight through the mantlet. A big 250mm flat mantlet with 240mm cheeks is a joke at T10.

T30 turret got nerfed in HD model, roof is now 38mm. Against gold, the E4 turret sacrifices a little bit of frontal protection for better protection from a larger range of angles. The T30 turret can similarly be frontally penned by gold, albiet its a bit harder, but any tiny bit of angle and the everything but the mantlet is an autopen.

2 minutes ago, Bohan said:

T30 turret got nerfed in HD model, roof is now 38mm.

Serves me right for not paying attention to HD models, my mistake. Still, looking at the models, the E4's cupola is massive compared to the T30's roof. I'd say it takes up easily three times as much space in your reticle.

2 minutes ago, Bohan said:

Against gold, the E4 turret sacrifices a little bit of frontal protection for better protection from a larger range of angles. The T30 turret can similarly be frontally penned by gold, albiet its a bit harder, but any tiny bit of angle and the everything but the mantlet is an autopen.

I dont really think this is much of an improvement; the T30 is certainly easy to pen when angled, but not considerably easier than the massive 220mm cheek you'll be showing if you angle your E4's turret, not to mention the mantlet is still easily pennable even when angled. The fact the side of the turret is a lot stronger doesn't seem to outweigh the benefits of having such a vastly improved, smaller profile turret face.

Just now, Rexxie said:

Serves me right for not paying attention to HD models, my mistake. Still, looking at the models, the E4's cupola is massive compared to the T30's roof. I'd say it takes up easily three times as much space in your reticle.

I dont really think this is much of an improvement; the T30 is certainly easy to pen when angled, but not considerably easier than the massive 220mm cheek you'll be showing if you angle your E4's turret, not to mention the mantlet is still easily pennable even when angled. The fact the side of the turret is a lot stronger doesn't seem to outweigh the benefits of having such a vastly improved, smaller profile turret face.

Perhaps my opinion on the cupola vs roof comparison is heavily influenced by my ping and the average ping across the ASIA server. Once ping exceeds 100, it becomes quite hard to shoot a cupola that is moving laterally in comparison to a roof that is wider than it is tall.

The E4 mantlet only becomes a problem versus some good players, the majority will still aim for the cupola which is easy to juke around and bait with. From personal experience, 99% of players I face in my E4 will aim for the cupola. But the E4 vs T30 turret is not my main point, even if the T30 turret is better in more situations than the E4, the hull armour, shape and size of the E4 is night and day better than the T30. It allows for far more tactical options, which is what makes the E4 a decent upgrade to the T30, provided that the player adjusts their playstyle from a hulldown machine to a more flexible, harder hitting E100..

E4 gets lol penned in the turret all day, in the mantlet, in the cheeks, in the cupola.  Sure noobs shoot for the cupola but it's butter too. 

I still enjoy playing the E4, but it could really use a slight buff like -8 depression or the E5's cupola.  Or fuck, at least give it a decent mantlet.

I think the E4 will get powersurged once they finally implement the bee mechanics for the big ass beekeeper hive at the rear of the tank.

9 minutes ago, Casas5591 said:

I think the E4 will get powersurged once they finally implement the bee mechanics for the big ass beekeeper hive at the rear of the tank.

Not the bees!  #oscarworthy

Hi guys, thanks all for the comments, feedback and non-sequiturs.

Had my first game in the E4 and it went relatively well compared to the rest of my evening of getting yolod down in over half my matches early in the game. WTF, I'm not even good YUsuicharge me?!

I kitted with: Vents/Rammer/Vstabs(or was it GLD) I will check back.

Skills I ended up going with above except I chose snap shot over repairs(I just .. couldn't break that habit). Defended the corner of fail at fjords from west spawn against a T10, IS7, STI(or was it KV4, I don't remember) and a blackdog(wtf was that doing there?) with just myself and a 111 1-4

Corner fighting with this thing really scares the poop out of pubbies apparently(yeah, n=1 but damn, they outnumbered 2-1 and refused to push). The cupola is very easy to get hit and penned(everyone just snapshots at it and pens) poking and baiting snap shots seem to work OK.  I'm pretty bad in TDs so I guess we'll see how this all plays out in the long run. Will keep adding, hope to see more info here.

IMHO E4 is best tier 10 TD currently, at least for pubbing... got all T10 tds but T110E3 in garage. WTE100 could possibly do bit better average damage per match but otherwise its too one-dimensional and map depended. E4 can work pretty decently as heavy tank when needed, gives lot more utility.

Having turret td is huge advantage, can drive from behind corner/stone, shoot and get back. Even though armor is not E3 level, its still enough to get lot of bounces when angling and makes tank lot more difficult for enemies to deal. Yes they can aim cupola, cheeks etc but its still lot better than no armor (waffle etc). And with 750 alpha trading 1 shoot for 1 shoot is mostly fine, and turret allows this lot better. Just gotta avoid close range hill fighting especially against good meds as they can exploit cupola too easily there, E4 is more of flat ground tank.

Enough gun depression to not be handicapped by it, not good still but enough. Gun handling is not too good either but works. Tank speed is pretty slow but not E3 slow.  Excellent gold APCR ammo, no HEAT problems like some other td's.

Lot of average qualities but it all combines to one really good TD.

I actually didn't mind the E4, its a support heavy with TD camo.

Its sort of like the E5 of TDs, its a good generalist. Whilst most pubbies will play it like a normal TD (camp redline, pro snipe) it really starts to shine when you get aggressive and brawl. Whilst its armour is a bit meh (also who relies on armour anyway?) Its serviceable enough against lower tiers.

1 hour ago, Politx_Killer said:

I actually didn't mind the E4, its a support heavy with TD camo.

Its sort of like the E5 of TDs, its a good generalist. Whilst most pubbies will play it like a normal TD (camp redline, pro snipe) it really starts to shine when you get aggressive and brawl. Whilst its armour is a bit meh (also who relies on armour anyway?) Its serviceable enough against lower tiers.

I enjoy the E4 as well and agree that it's probably the best Tier X TD, but that bar is pretty low.

I suppose it is the E5 of TDs, but the E5 is much better in every regard except for camo and alpha/pen.

E4 is actually solid, I hope my earlier comments about it don't make it sound like I think it's some paper garbage TD. It's just trash hulldown compared to tanks that are built for the job. I think the hull armour is a very, very useful addition compared to the T30. The more a TD can pretend its a heavy the better, being a TD that plays like a TD is a very bad thing these days.

I think if I had to compare TDs, I'd say something like "E3 > E4 >> JPE ~= 263 >>> 183/Foch/268 > Waffen >>> 4005", with the addendum that even the E3 is not special compared to the majority of HT/MTs.

http://tanks.gg/wot/tank/t110e4#compare:t30

For a slight increase in (soft) stats and a better hull (as if it mattered) you're stuck with a terrible turret and significantly worse gun depression.

Is it really an upgrade? 

This tank is a really good response to super heavy meta. I don''t fear e100 in my Maus but e4s? All of them carry gold now and their premium pen goes through me way to easy.

How the hell do some people manage to solo carry in this thing? I've seen >60% without platooing. 

The cupola renders it unusable on ridges. Gun's too derpy to snipe reliably. People say to forget about it being a TD and play as a support heavy. What if you don't have anyone to support, because your actual heavies are either brain-dead or non-existent? That's been the majority of my games so far. 

God, I hate TDs. :(

On 3/4/2017 at 9:32 AM, hazzgar said:

This tank is a really good response to super heavy meta. I don''t fear e100 in my Maus but e4s? All of them carry gold now and their premium pen goes through me way to easy.

375 APCR pen that goes through the Maus UFP lmfao

9 hours ago, Strigonx said:

375 APCR pen that goes through the Maus UFP lmfao

Maus at the best angle I could find vs 375 acpr. 

Przechwytywanie.PNG