M4A3E8sherman

Exactly How Much Armor Does the Super Pershing Have?

It seems like we haven't been able to come up with precise numbers, past the ones calculated in the early stages of the 9.8 test which turned out to be severe underestimates anyway.

I'm estimating that the upper plate is somewhere in the realm of 270mm against AP while the lower is around 235mm, honestly I have nothing to really go by aside from approximations though. Someone posted a test of the armor a long time ago, the sample size is limited however.

To add to that, from my experience playing the tank, the BL-10 and 128mm L/61 seem to penetrate the UFP more often than not but they do bounce now and then; I assume this is with AP. Lower plate can be reliably penetrated with T34 AP and SP APCR when unangled at close ranges.

The spaced armour mechanics are unknown (well, there's a description, but it doesn't fit the evidence). If you wanted to figure out the real mechanics, the first step would be test single layer spaced armour examples. One possibility is that the HEAT falloff rule applies to all shells, not just HEAT.

The Tiger II vs Lowe result on that test is a little implausible. Slightly different angle, maybe. Another 10-15mm effective armour and it makes sense.

Like I said in the other thread, I'd be inclined to agree with Tank Inspector's armor values here, which say the UFP is 260-270mm. The center of the lower plate is ~235mm, while the sides of the LFP are 205-215mm. This is basically in line with my tests on the tank as well as my experience driving it.

6 minutes ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Knowing WG normalization probably applies to spaced armor and shells likely normalize multiple times through multiple sheets of spaced armor even though it's not realistic.

If anything, the results fit better if normalization only applies to the first layer (tanks.gg assumes all layers). The normalization's still significant here because the first layer has a higher angle and gets the x2 rule. That's easily 13-15mm EA difference between AP and APCR.

3 minutes ago, Serene_Potato said:

Lower plate seems to get penned by IS-3 with AP when un-angled.

Just snapshotted a SP in my IS_3 a few days ago, went through lower plate.

And you do this regularly? I tested the E-50's AP vs the center of a Spershings LFP and couldn't get a single pen.

2 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

And you do this regularly? I tested the E-50's AP vs the center of a Spershings LFP and couldn't get a single pen.

Dunno, might be doing a bit of testing when I have time though

1 hour ago, Rexxie said:

He could be right, seeing as a 122mm can x3 overmatch a 38mm plate.

About 160mm? effective armor @ turret cheeks considering most people here aim for the weakest point just to be a smart ass about it.

Nevertheless, knowing the LFP/UFP cumulative armor values @ angles would be useful to know if one has no choice but to 2 key quick shot SP's to reach victory.

I was penned 3 times in a row by the tier 6 arl TD through the upper plate and there are a lot of random pens through there in general.

I think the spaced armour is just very random and inconstant. 

13 minutes ago, waga100 said:

I was penned 3 times in a row by the tier 6 arl TD through the upper plate and there are a lot of random pens through there in general.

I think the spaced armour is just very random and inconstant. 

The very top of the upper plate has no additional protection, the spaced armor doesn't cover it. If you look carefuly you can see where the spaced armor ends - could the ARL have shot you there?

i think 1 shot went up there but at least one or two were right above the beak.

I think it was just rng and 260 pen gold but the SP's armour does feel like it gets randomly penned when it shouldnt a lot

VK 4502A's are my fucking kryptonite when I play the SP. Doesn't matter their skill level, they autoaim and snapshot AP through my upper plate all day, every day.