Assassin7

Question for Non Native English Speakers, or I guess English Speakers that speak other languages fluently

Im from Denmark so i pretty much speak and understand Danish, Swedish, Norwegian. and a bit of japanese :D (learning it) 

For me I read and understand like you would. I taught myself English when i was 4 years old through television... Days of our lives bitches ! best learning experience ever :D

Ive actually had this conversation with some from my family and since they are of the older generation (before pc) they have to translate it in their head.  Its gone so far for me that i a lot of times forget the danish word but remember the english word for whatever im talking about so even when speaking danish to family i sometimes have to ask "what is the word im looking for here you know this thing bla bla bla" 

Well, despite my being Italian i spend most of my time actually talking or writing in English (dem interwebz ftw) and i stopped a long time ago having to translate in my mind, and more generally thinking in my own mother language, when speaking in english. I'd reckon at least 7-8 years, probably more.

It rather depends on how fluent you are and how much you actually use the language.

Bi-lingual in English and Latin.  When translating and writing in Latin, I think in Latin.  It's hard, as English is extremely different in sentence structure so it takes me several hours to get used to it, but when I'm ready it's like I speak Latin fluently :D 

When i speak / read english i think in english, when i speak / read dutch, i think dutch and otherwise ``dialect`` (its more a seperate language, but whatever (and not frisian))

1 hour ago, Bavor said:

I use to be fluent in Spanish and when I spoke it, I thought in Spanish.  Unfortunately if you don't use another language, you lose your ability to speak it, so all I remember now is how to ask for a cold beer and where the bathroom is.  Its been about 15 years since I had an actual conversation in Spanish.

The same thing when I spoke Pennsylvania Dutch, I thought in Pennsylvania Dutch.  I wasn't 100% fluent in it and the family members I had who spoke it died years ago.  The language is dying off, so its rate to hear "Make wet?" "Mox nix. Spritzing nau. Hurrieder maedel" or even modern Dutchie which is mostly English with German sentence structure and a few Pennsylvania Dutch words thrown in.

U wot m8!

Pennsylvania dutch is not dutch, but german ( :P ) and dutch is neither english not german, while both look in written form quite a lot at eachother ppl sometimes think the difference is not that big, but it is, some dutch dialects are fairly close to german, but those dialects, are when speaking it fluent not understandable for a dutchspeakign person

Dutch is a lower franconian language, while german is either high or low german + modern dutch is a clusterfuck of all the dialects, meaning many of the writing rules are full retard and the pronounciation is impossible to master.

a native dutch can always hear if your not native speakers, always, i had colleages who lived here for 30 years, maried a dutch women and so on, and i can hear it in sometimes 2 sentences (eu, ui, ij, oe, r, g, t, sch, nobody can pronounce all of those good / proper, even after decades of practice (heck, i can even hear if someone doesnt have native dutch parents, even their childern sound ``different``)

7 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

When i speak / read english i think in english, when i speak / read dutch, i think dutch and otherwise ``dialect`` (its more a seperate language, but whatever (and not frisian))

Same for me, but with Russian and English.

Although when I get mad as fuck, even if I was in English-mode, I tend to rage in Russian.

I sorta do both...when I'm speaking English I think in English, and when I'm speaking Chinese I think in Chinese. But when I learn a new word in English I translate it to Chinese for my brain to assign it to the specific concept/meaning so that I can remember it and actually use it.

My english is pretty good for being swedish. Swedes usually have a very distinct accent which I don't have at all. That said I learned english REALLY early and always kept working on it thanks to games and field of work. 

I do however think in my native tongue, and it sometimes leaves the vocabulary a tad flawed because the two languages don't exactly blend well. It's far easier than icelandic though, which I really can't practice even though the language is so beautiful I really wanna keep it up. English was an easy language to learn, maintain and develop in but hard to master. 

On 24.4.2016 at 8:30 PM, GehakteMolen said:

U wot m8!

Pennsylvania dutch is not dutch, but german ( :P )

You dont expect those poor colonialists to differentiate between Dutch (in english) and Deutsch (in german) do you ? They have been very bad at it historically at least. 

To me Dutch sounds like a mix between english (in which Im fluent), german (near fluent) and norwegian (mother tongue) and yet I cant fucking figure out what they are trying to tell me! Very frustrating and quite funny at the same time...

1 hour ago, GehakteMolen said:

U wot m8!

Pennsylvania dutch is not dutch, but german ( :P ) and dutch is neither english not german, while both look in written form quite a lot at eachother ppl sometimes think the difference is not that big, but it is, some dutch dialects are fairly close to german, but those dialects, are when speaking it fluent not understandable for a dutchspeakign person

Dutch is a lower franconian language, while german is either high or low german + modern dutch is a clusterfuck of all the dialects, meaning many of the writing rules are full retard and the pronounciation is impossible to master.

a native dutch can always hear if your not native speakers, always, i had colleages who lived here for 30 years, maried a dutch women and so on, and i can hear it in sometimes 2 sentences (eu, ui, ij, oe, r, g, t, sch, nobody can pronounce all of those good / proper, even after decades of practice (heck, i can even hear if someone doesnt have native dutch parents, even their childern sound ``different``)

Its called Pennsylvania Dutch because the English speakers asked where the people speaking the different language were from they said "Deutsche" or Deutscheland." The English speakers didn't know German they thought the Germans were saying were saying Dutch.

When I'm speaking english I'm thinking in english, when I'm speaking in polish I'm thinking in polish.

When I'm trying to speak french I'm thinking #$@%##$.

Hope that helps ;).

6 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

If thats the case, what happens when you speak German? 

Nothing much I would presume. What tends to happen though is that for certain terms the English word pops into your head first and I actually have to think about the German term for a split-second.

What I find annoying is people who just speak a mixture (and use a few English words in a sentence that is otherwise German). Especially if their English isn't all that good and they are just some hippsters/prented big-shots.

6 hours ago, PityFool said:

When you speak a language fluently.. you just understand what is being said, there's no translating going on mid conversation.

This, so very much. When you're fluent, no thinking is going on, it literally just pops out like when you speak your native tongue. I have zero problems having an English conversation on Skype or TS and then switch over to Danish to talk to someone in the room or whatever at the same time. Sometimes I can derp a little in writing because your hand positions are a little different on the keyboard. In Danish, you often have to reach over the Å key, which is next to P, or Æ and Ø that are next to L. You basically slightly screw up the distance your hand travels, making switching between Danish and English in a Steam chat or something turn into a weird mix of both lel.

Just thinking is different, it depends on the environment and what's going on. I think fluently in both anyway, so it doesn't bother me either way. When you're learning a language, though, you often have to forcefully think about it and that's an easy way to tell you're not fluent. It doesn't really matter if you're literally stumbling through a sentence with long pauses and lots of "um", "eh" and so on or if you're just quickly constructing it in your mind. If you have to think at all, you are not at 100%

3 minutes ago, Gharirey said:

What I find annoying is people who just speak a mixture (and use a few English words in a sentence that is otherwise German). Especially if their English isn't all that good and they are just some hippsters/prented big-shots.

Beware of Scandinavia m8, we borrow rather heavily from the English dictionary depending on the subject. Even elderly people speak English fairly fluently, so it's not to be snobby, we just watch English TV, play English video games and listen to English music 24/7 :doge:

1 hour ago, Atgeirr said:

To me Dutch sounds like a mix between english (in which Im fluent), german (near fluent) and norwegian (mother tongue) and yet I cant fucking figure out what they are trying to tell me! Very frustrating and quite funny at the same time...

Dont worry mate, they probably just complain about an other soccer cup without an Oranje-Team.

1 hour ago, Gharirey said:

I fucking hate that. I mean, I do it too, but I actually speak English and don't just pretend to. 

3 hours ago, Shifty_101st said:

Bi-lingual in English and Latin.  When translating and writing in Latin, I think in Latin.  It's hard, as English is extremely different in sentence structure so it takes me several hours to get used to it, but when I'm ready it's like I speak Latin fluently :D 

You speak Latin? The dead language Latin or you meant something else?

On OP: I speak English and Croatian(+Serbian and partially all other Yugoslavian/Slavic languages :doge:). I form all my sentences in native language because I'm lazy. Also question for @Assassin7 - In what language people with prelingual deafness think? :doge: 

2 minutes ago, no_name_cro said:

...Croatian(+Serbian and partially all other Yugoslavian/Slavic languages :doge:).

You mean because they are all basically the same just Serbian uses a different alphabet? Like Czech and Slovak being the same thing with less accents in Slovak?

1 minute ago, Inciatus said:

You mean because they are all basically the same just Serbian uses a different alphabet? Like Czech and Slovak being the same thing with less accents in Slovak?

Something like that to put it shortly. :doge:

1 hour ago, no_name_cro said:

You speak Latin? The dead language Latin or you meant something else?

On OP: I speak English and Croatian(+Serbian and partially all other Yugoslavian/Slavic languages :doge:). I form all my sentences in native language because I'm lazy. Also question for @Assassin7 - In what language people with prelingual deafness think? :doge: 

I was actually thinking about that while I went to sleep, because I was thinking of what language I thought in while I was a baby and couldnt understand any language, lol. 

I don't really believe I think in any language (how would deaf people "think" in that case?). But if I had to pick it'd be English, with a little bonus of being able to converse in Mandarin. 

2 hours ago, Gharirey said:

People do that everywhere. Back in high school there was this crowd of guys who tried to shoehorn french words into every single sentence despite having limited knowledge of the language in general.

40 minutes ago, _Dia said:

I don't really believe I think in any language (how would deaf people "think" in that case?). But if I had to pick it'd be English, with a little bonus of being able to converse in Mandarin. 

Implying you don't use language to organize your thoughts.  You know what they say, if you have a hammer everything looks like a nail.  Can only devolve into a chicken egg thing anyways.  I string related sentences together.

Also deaf people still understand language...

Just now, Nicook5 said:

Implying you don't use language to organize your thoughts.  You know what they say, if you have a hammer everything looks like a nail.  Can only devolve into a chicken egg thing anyways.  I string related sentences together.

Also deaf people still understand language...

I really don't think of organizing my thoughts as using a language. And yes I know they still understand, but for someone who has never heard or been able to use a vocal language, it's not like they think in sign language.