Jarkorsis

New Mexico Appreciation Thread

I started up the US BB line. The first really good is the New Mexico. Good Armor decent range and dispersion. It may be the best all around BB in T6. (for now) Knowing the Wargaming Bait and switch. The German BB's will probably be a bit better out of the box until nerfed.

A good indication of how good it is, is that in team battles it seems to be the go to BB for each team. I am getting much more consistent damage in it, than in Fuso. Warspite appears to have worse armor, but better secondaries.

At first I thought this was about the actual state and I was excited because white sands, and spaceport america (which we will fly shit out of), and Albuquerque and the PBR stuff there, and desert, so much glorious desert.

But alas, this forum still doesn't let me know in the new topics on the side what major thing it's in that this was a warships thread and not about the state. Through no fault of your own Jarkorsis, you have made me sad.

Anyway, I've never played the american line enough to get to the New Mexico, but my buddy plays quite a bit and he seems to prefer the Fuso to the New Mexico (though I think he likes the tier 7 American more than the Japanese one).

1 hour ago, Inciatus said:

At first I thought this was about the actual state and I was excited because white sands, and spaceport america (which we will fly shit out of), and Albuquerque and the PBR stuff there, and desert, so much glorious desert.

I'm in the exact same boat. hue hue.
I'm down on the tex/mex border. Desert is love, Desert is life.

Dispersion between Fuso and New Mexico is hard to quantify. Fuso has 21 Km range and NM has 16 km. SO the numbers are like comparing Apples and Oranges. Biggest advantage NM has is armor when angled and the turret layout. The 3 gun turrets (4x3) makes clustered shots happen more often and are death to CA's.

I found the New Mexico a quantum leap over the New York, the armor and the tanking achievable with the New Mexico with far superior guns to the New York, and kept me going down the US line.  The Colorado stock is horrific, but upgraded, is better than the Nagato in my opinion ( if you learn how to work with the 21 knot max speed ).  The Colorado is my highest damage ships to date, those 16 guns have a nice fire arc and flight time with great penetration.  It really surprises tier 8 BB's that you can hurt them at 12k range.  The redeeming feature is the solid AA, you can wreck same or lower tier IJN squadrons if you focus them early - the AA is comparable to the Pensacola.  You would think that a measly 50K hit points would be insufficient for a tier 7 BB, but the ship can bounce a lot of shots - I have a 68% survival rate in 25 matches ( only winning 44% however - too slow to reset some times ).

Personally I think New Mexico is a bit overrated, while New York is sorely underrated.

At the same time I'm apparently insane to believe the mid-tier US battleships are actually very good standing up vs. their IJN counterparts.

2 hours ago, Seraphil said:

Personally I think New Mexico is a bit overrated, while New York is sorely underrated.

At the same time I'm apparently insane to believe the mid-tier US battleships are actually very good standing up vs. their IJN counterparts.

The ability of the Kongo to repeatedly set the New York on fire from long range while the New York trudges ever so slowly into return fire range is why the Kongo is rated higher.  At close range, the New York is better at bouncing AP for sure, but a smart Kongo player is going to whittle down a New York's health before it becomes an equal match.

I play a lot of Kongo, because I have all the ARP ships. If I recall correctly I average 80K damage in the ARP Hiei, so I know what I am doing.

And what I don't do is shoot HE at New Yorks, not from far and not from near. That's quite a silly thing to do.

AS for states, I too am all about the desert, though Nevada not New Mexico. ;) 

I've played the New Mexico some and the Fuso some and they are definitely different creatures. I lean toward the New Mexico only because it's such a tanky ship. If you angle and manage your cool downs effectively you can absorb tremendous amounts of punishment before sinking. Yesterday I had a great match where I deleted two cruisers and a battleship using these tactics. Also it helped that I had a friendly cruiser keeping DDs off me. Yay for teamwork!

On 4/25/2016 at 7:01 AM, BiggieD61 said:

The ability of the Kongo to repeatedly set the New York on fire from long range while the New York trudges ever so slowly into return fire range is why the Kongo is rated higher.  At close range, the New York is better at bouncing AP for sure, but a smart Kongo player is going to whittle down a New York's health before it becomes an equal match.

See that's the thing.  Ships are very rarely going to be 1v1 fighting an equivalent tier same-class ship.  Okay sure, a Kongo can and will kite a New York to death if they are the only two ships on the map.  But that situation is very rare.  What we should judging them on is how well they perform the role of that class or playstyle subset(like torpedo boat vs. gunboat for destroyers.)  The New York dominates cruisers just as well if not better than a Kongo, and can't be penned by 203mm shells as easily as a Kongo.

16 hours ago, Seraphil said:

The New York dominates cruisers just as well if not better than a Kongo, and can't be penned by 203mm shells as easily as a Kongo.

The Kongo actually tends to soak 203s and other smaller calibre guns better than the New York because the NY has a high, badly armoured freeboard that's very easy to pen.

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Also something to note is that the Texas is an all around better version of the NY, including letting you use the 3rd turret without going full broadside.

in exchange your 4th turret angle gets worse because AA guns in the way.

I will say one thing I find the NM does better than any other BB is nuking cruisers. I have every or used every BB to tier 7 and the NM just seems to always citadel cruisers or at least regular penetration while the Colorado and Nagato seem to either citadel or over pen, I think thats because of the 14"  guns but it does a better job than when I had the Fuso at wrecking cruisers also

That said it took about the same amount of battles for me to pass through the NM and Fuso and I had similar stats in both, they both played differently through. The Fuso was more fragile for me and I relied on its speed and range while the NM I just point my bow to the enemy and sail right at them while bouncing shots like a boss. Plus I couldn't stand the Fuso's turn radius and length, its a easy target for DDs and TBs

Three reasons the NM is good at cruiser killing cruisers:

1) Lots o shells mitigates the terribad dispersion (this is also true of the Montana)

2) Fast shells mean that you're more likely to get lead on target before the cruiser turns out of your shot

3) You're slightly less likely to overpenetrate with 14" shells, especially on more heavily armored cruisers. Clevelands in particular are a hoot to fire at with the New Mex because it has a fucking horrible armor scheme.

I've only got a handful of games in this tub so far, but goodness does it eat CAs. I'm curious to see how the King George V class will compare.

Remember to control click on surface ships that close on you ( much like you control click on Carrier Planes you want your AA to focus on ) - American BB's have a lot secondaries to light up enemies inside of 6K.

12 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

Remember to control click on surface ships that close on you ( much like you control click on Carrier Planes you want your AA to focus on ) - American BB's have a lot secondaries to light up enemies inside of 6K.

Wyoming, New York, and New Mexico only have 6 secondaries total when using anything other than the stock hull.

Hate it, gets penned by everything even with perfect angles.  Plunging fire consistently hits it's citadel.  Guns cant seem to citadel enemy ships that I know the NY or IJN BBs would have gotten 1-2+ cits on.

3/10

3 hours ago, Alesia said:

Hate it, gets penned by everything even with perfect angles.  Plunging fire consistently hits it's citadel.  Guns cant seem to citadel enemy ships that I know the NY or IJN BBs would have gotten 1-2+ cits on.

3/10

I think there's a healthy amount of confirmation bias here.  Guns are decent and having 12 makes up for lack of top-tier punchiness.  I found that both my New Mex and Colorado just printed Dreadnaught medals, so it's plenty tough.

3 hours ago, Alesia said:

3/10

Either you have bad luck with RNG or you aren't meshing with it, I normally have 100k-ish games in this ship anymore and survive way more than I should. It does require a certain way of playing that you don't do with IJN BBs let alone other ships trees

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, TouchFluffyTail said:

Wyoming, New York, and New Mexico only have 6 secondaries total when using anything other than the stock hull.

Would you rather have secondaries or better AA?  They refitted the NY in 1925/6 and again in 1942 adding more AA at the expense of secondaries with a range of 4 or 5 km in game?  The other ships had similar refits. Not worth it, because too many DDs have torp ranges in excess of that so it doesn't really matter.