shutupshake

Video Editing

I'm experimenting with a youtube channel for tanks stuff. Up until now I have just recorded segments in OBS and pieced them together in YT's video editor. That has worked fine for recording replay commentary so far. But I was thinking of making a channel trailer/intro and I don't think YT's video editor is up to the challenge. 

I was wondering what peoples' opinions were on video editing software. Are the big boys (Vegas, Premiere, Final Cut, etc) the only way to go? Are the basic ones (Essentials, Movie Maker, etc) worth the time? Are there any decent open source options?

Premiere is awesome! I put together all my videos using that.
My intro is made using after effects.

In my first videos I used ligthworks and it was quite fine (bear in mind compression in lightworks is crap and it only renders in 720p for the free version, so big files @720p).

For an example of stuff you can do in after effects, check the first 15s of this video:

My channel is on hyatus, so it's not really a self advertisement :P it's there just as an example. You can find templates all over the internet for after effects and tutorials for premiere. After u get used to the second one, it gets easy. At first it might seem complicated, but it really isn't

As for recording, I used Audacity for the voiceover (free program) and "NVidia Shadow ..something" for the gampelay, OBS works just fine or maybe better, due to better compression. Recording this way lets you change the volumes in post production, which is very helpful.

I use Nvidia Shadowplay to record because its one of the best recorders out there. I then throw my beautifully recorded footage into movie maker... :doge: Movie maker does the job, you can play around with some settings and put out a pretty decent quality image, you're just limited on how many fancy effects and goodies you can add to the video. Example:

I actually did not know this... I've had and used blender for a while now but never actually noticed that it can edit videos.

55 minutes ago, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

I myself love using premiere and vegas... if you're looking for cheap, aka free, look into blender, it has an integrated and pretty powerful (for what it is) video editor

I actually did not know this... I've had and used blender for a while now but never actually noticed that it can edit videos. Thanks!

Edited by PityFool

8 minutes ago, KingYoshiLuca said:

For Editing I use Filmora 

I might try Filmora first. Free trial has no limitations other than a watermark and I'm not sure I'm high speed enough for the prem platforms. Thanks for the idea. If that doesn't work, I might spring for a month of Premiere. 

i could never get shadowplay to work so i just used obs instead. i've since acquired a new video card so maybe it'll work now??

i've never actually edited any videos before but sony movie studio 13 looks pretty cool, like vegas for newbies.

I use Premiere CC, learning curve is quite steep for professional suites like Premiere/Vegas (yay accidently learning it in school) so if you don't feel like learning anything and get straight to easy editing, try PowerDirector.

The classic way of recording would be dxtory + lagarith lossless codec, however most youtuber friends use Shadowplay nowadays. Not many of you know this but if you have a AMD GPU and don't want to use the GE app, OBS has VCE support now. https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-branch-with-amd-vce-support.13996/

Shadowplay + Premier for pro looking stuff

Shadowplay + Windows Movie maker for quick, dirty and cheesy edits.

Handbrake for device conversions if needed.

Choose Premiere over Vegas. I regret choosing Vegas.

Since Premiere is from Adobe, it is intercompatible with other software like After Effects and Photoshop.

Don't be silly like me.

7 hours ago, dashnog said:

Choose Premiere over Vegas. I regret choosing Vegas.

Since Premiere is from Adobe, it is intercompatible with other software like After Effects and Photoshop.

Don't be silly like me.

Yep, especially since you can link everything together. People often look at Bridge and say "hey, that's just a file manager" but it's so much more, I can manage templates for metadata, syncing colors from photoshop to after effects, managing swatches, if I'm looking for a white video background, all I have to do is sort by color and I have it right there. Batch changes like, if I'm doing a montage I make it on one clip, load up bridge, select the rest of the clips and apply the effect stack to them and tell it to add them after another. There's also repeating assets, if you tend to use certain assets a lot it'll collect them for you and muuuuch more.

yay for adobe