Sign in to follow this  
Zytyx

Overwatch

tfw you read "overmatch" and almost proceed to write "your gun caliber needs to be at least 3x of the armor plate you are hitting"

I would like to try it but knowing Blizzard it will never be on special.

I am super excited for this game. Though I don't really play anymore, I spent quite a lot of time on TF2 back in the day. This looks like a modern blizzardy spin to a genre I love so I'm definitely playing the crap out of the open beta this weekend.

thebolshevik#1314 if anyone wants to group.

Played about 2 hours so far.

It's really quite good. Also doesn't feel like a beta at all, the game is already in a very polished state. Buying it for sure.

the balance feels really good so far, i love the "if everybody is overpowered, nobody is" feel.

bastion's sentry minigun does insane amounts of damage though, i wouldnt be surprised if that got a small nerf

Installed this.

It seems...okay.

I mean, it's polished and all that but it doesn't seem that interesting.  In some ways its a lot like Battleborn and Paragon I guess, although the latter is a more traditional moba experience. This seems to be a hybrid between moba and arena shooter.

Maybe I just need to play more...

Playing this now, haven't decided on purchase but will be freeloading for the weekend while I decide.

I enjoy support play so currently learning Mercy and Zenyatta, following randoms around trying to keep them alive as best I can. Did the same via Miko in Battleborn and have found that playing healers I can influence matches far easier than I ever can in WoT as a 55%er.

8 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Installed this.

It seems...okay.

I mean, it's polished and all that but it doesn't seem that interesting.  In some ways its a lot like Battleborn and Paragon I guess, although the latter is a more traditional moba experience. This seems to be a hybrid between moba and arena shooter.

Maybe I just need to play more...

This is TF2 with 21 heroes instead of 9 classes. Don't think moba, think TF2

18 minutes ago, Trobs said:

This is TF2 with 21 heroes instead of 9 classes. Don't think moba, think TF2

I guess. Played some actual PvP and it's a lot more fan that the initial "Play a match vs the AI would have you believe".

7 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

I guess. Played some actual PvP and it's a lot more fan that the initial "Play a match vs the AI would have you believe".

AI is good to learn how a character works. The pvp mode is where it really shines. Been running full 6 man groups the past few days and it's phenomenal.

2 minutes ago, Trobs said:

AI is good to learn how a character works. The pvp mode is where it really shines. Been running full 6 man groups the past few days and it's phenomenal.

I guess. I think I'm maybe just not as much of an FPS player as I used to be :-)

1 minute ago, OOPMan said:

I guess. I think I'm maybe just not as much of an FPS player as I used to be :-)

I am damn terrible at it. Pretty much all of the offensive heroes, and both snipers are completely awful for me. My twitch reaction skills are rusty after years of neglect due to WoT, WoWs, etc.

1 hour ago, Trobs said:

I am damn terrible at it. Pretty much all of the offensive heroes, and both snipers are completely awful for me. My twitch reaction skills are rusty after years of neglect due to WoT, WoWs, etc.

I only played a few games but managed to do okay. Play that daily random mode, which was pretty fun :-)

Downloaded but not yet tried. Game play videos bled my eyes. Too fast the pace ?

3 hours ago, wes said:

Downloaded but not yet tried. Game play videos bled my eyes. Too fast the pace ?

It is pretty frenetic :-)

imo overwatch is pretty good fun, especially in a premade. The game feels pretty polished, both visually and gameplay wise. I like that all the heroes feel viable within their particular niche or use case, but you also always have counterplay options for any opposing enemy hero, that you can switch into whenever. Map balance could use some work though- some of the attack/defense maps have an objective B that feels obscenely hard to attack, just because of how long the sight lines are from the defensive vantages to the choke points that the offense has to get through. Only thing that's missing right now is a sense of progression, other than unlocking legendary skins/animations, but ranked play should fill that void nicely. 

Played a few hours too and did surprisingly well, with around 70% winrate in PvP.

Why did that surprise me? Because:

- the game is quite fast and twitchy and I am old and not in practice any more.

- after 1-2 hours I start to get a nasty headache every time I play.

Other than that it is really fun to play, everything is really modeled with love and caring. But I think that is the norm for Blizzard. No noticeable bugs either, balance is also good already, some heros seem a bit overpowered, but nothing gamebreaking.

What I missed is some kind of long time motivation, a goal to reach or something. There are Skins ans Sprays and Animations to unlock, yes, but that will not be enough.

Probably there will be some sort of leagues later, like in other Blizzard games? Still, there is nothing much to achieve, which will kill my long time motivation....not sure if I will buy.