Sign in to follow this  
Zytyx

Overwatch

My impressions after playing ~20 hours over the weekend :

The balance is quite good, and all heroes have interesting and different advantages to abuse. Team comp is very important though, and in randoms having your five pubbies pick their favorite offense or sniper hero and never switch can be rather frustrating. Because of this I ended up playing tank and healer way more than I thought I would. But the game is very objective based, and since you need to push objectives relatively quickly and effectively, tanks and healers are critical to success.

I played some solo, but mostly I was in a 2-man group with a buddy who I used to play TF2 with. Back then we would switch back and forth between one of us playing soldier and the other being the medic, so it was natural that we again tried the different tank + healer combos. Unsurprisingly this is very effective in Overwatch as well.

Pharah - Since I used to main soldier in TF2 she is of course rather familiar, and she was my first pick in the first few games I played. But you can't bounce people into the air to deny their movement like the TF2 soldier could, so she is more of a damage dealer and it turns out that going for direct hits pays off a lot more (whereas the TF2 soldier was all about shooting people's feet). Because of this she is ill-suited to the tanky pocket control and medic protection role that used to be my soldier's niche.

Roadhog - A proper tank with some heavy CC but basically useless against targets that stay out of hook range. His shotgun deals heavy damage up close but it falls of very quickly. The self-healing ability is quite strong though, making him a good choice for soloing when you have to carry a team that has no healer and you are the only one willing to play a tank.

Winston - Kind of like the TF2 pyro on steroids. Leap into the face of squishies and they have to choose between running away and certain death. The cooldown on leap is pretty short so he can really go places. Pretty mobile for a tank, rivaled only by D.Va's jets.

Zarya - Probably the best damage dealing tank, and my favorite so far. She trades some hp for a much better weapon IF you manage to keep it charged. When it's not charged the damage is pretty meh. Her shields are difficult to use well because the cooldowns are long and the absorb amount not that impressive. But because any damage exceeding the shield's strength is just vaporized instead of transferred to your health pool, they can save you from some big one-shots like the Junkrat tire or the D.Va exploding mech. On one or two occasions I managed to shield myself and my medic just before one of those popped... Pretty cool. Her ult is sex if you manage combo it with some heavy AOE like Pharah's barrage, but if you're alone and not fully charged you likely won't be able to get kills out of it so it's better to save it for big teamfights. You want your team to be there and able to pile all their damage on the trapped enemies.

Mercy - A pretty good medic, but kind of bad at staying alive when she gets dived by aggressive offense heroes. Her dash is good but requires a nearby teammate to dash to, so she can get caught out with no mobility options sometimes. She has a gun, but in most situations you can't really use it since it would stop you from healing. So she's a bit one dimensional, and can be frustrating to play if you don't have players that are worth healing on your team. Still, she is the best when it comes to keeping a tank healthy while poking a corner under fire, and her ult will swing teamfights if you use it well.

Lucio - Single target healing is not nearly as good as Mercy and depends on amping up, which has a long cooldown. But in situations where you have multiple teammates taking damage simultaneously, he can possibly heal for more in total than Mercy could since he heals everyone at once. What he has over Mercy is flexibility. With a decent gun, great mobility, and also better self-healing he is better at staying alive and adding a little damage output to the fight, making him quite a bit more fun to play than the dedicated healer.

That's about it for the ones I played the most. I have very potato aim though, after playing mostly WoT and Civilization for the past 4 years or so it seems I've lost the ability to 360-noscope like in the old days. So I'm not really into anything that requires precise shots to work. Things like Tracer, Reaper and Widowmaker are just not my cup of tea. With a tank as long as you understand concepts of positioning and pushing, you can get some job done even with bad aim. That said, getting rekt by Tracers gifted with pre-pubescent Asian tier reflexes every now and then can be a little frustrating.

11 minutes ago, hallo1994 said:

But similar right?

its literally tf2 but with blizzard. obviously things are a little different but core gameplay its tf2.

different graphics, different heroes, different weapons, different skills, and 6v6 instead of the 12v12 or however many people tf2 could support

1 hour ago, Aquavolt said:

its literally tf2 but with blizzard. obviously things are a little different but core gameplay its tf2.

different graphics, different heroes, different weapons, different skills, and 6v6 instead of the 12v12 or however many people tf2 could support

Well, TF2 supports 16v16 but the most common competitive formats are 9v9 and 6v6. 

So been playing this game for a bit now, figured i'd to a quick rundown of Hero's tiering (kinda like the current tier 10/9 ranking threads going down).
Warning: a lot of spoiler within spoiler shit because I don't want this post to be massive. since there are about 6 per class i'll organize them into 2s.

Offense

Spoiler

Best Two

Spoiler

Genji - holy shit is this guy strong, hard to master though. His triple shuriken left click is 100% accurate it seems, nail someones head with them and most enemies will drop. Problem is that's hard unless they are standing still, hitting them with all 3 still does pretty great damage though. his shift dash/strike thing has no cooldown if you kill someone with it, ive seen a few good players manage to chain this together to get some nice multikills. The deflect seems like it reflects just about everything, really good anti-bastion turret since you can make it kill itself. With good timing you can reflect peoples ultimates as well. Haven't had to much practice with his ulti so far, but it seems like it instakills whatever you can hit with your sword.

Tracer- Facing a good Tracer is a nightmare, it's hard to keep track of her since her mobility allows her to be just about anywhere, her dashes work in the air by the way, chain them together with a jump to get to some interesting flanks in. She's really bursty and has almost no health which seems to be her only downside besides effective range. Get good and used to blinking in random directions (you blink whatever way you are moving not facing) to be able to juke out players in close range fights. Having to deal with a target that's almost impossible to get your crosshair on when they just blink through you sucks. Soldier-76s ulti hardcounters you though. Not much more to say really, Pulse bomb only works well when you stick it to someone, it doesn't have much splash. Recall is nice for getting out of shit situations (or for me when I accidently blink off the side of a map) especially because it gives you hp back, use it in fights to get quick hp back and finish off an opponent. It does exactly 3 seconds back, so try to keep that in mind so you don't recall to some terrible spot.

Middle 2

Spoiler

Pharah- Her base rockets do a ton of damage, just got to hit the target directly, which takes some getting used to after a lot of TF2 aiming at their feet, you can 2 shot most people with direct hits. Her shift adds a lot of mobility to her, added to which she can glide/fly kinda through the air if you hold space, use these to get odd angles on opponents (My favorite is to kill people by jumping over a building/wall, then rocketing them from the side). Concussive blast doesn't seem really great, can be used to give you some room or just to knock people off a cliff/objective. Her Ulti is really strong AOE clearer but due to the fact you have to stay still and channel it you can get killed really easily during it, wasting it.

Mcree- Left click is great and all, but mcree only gets strong if you can actually combo his moves together. His rightclick spams his revolver but is inaccurate, good at dealing with shit in close combat, just flashbang them, rightclick spam them and they die. His roll actually reloads his gun so working this in to a flashbang-rightclick spam will drop anyone in the game before they get out of the stun. His ulti telegraphs unfortunately (He yells 'highnoon' ) so smart/fast enemies will just get into cover, it one shots whatever is in line of sight if it aims though.

Bottom 2

Spoiler

Reaper- He looks great and all but most of what lets this guy down is the range of his shotguns and his low mobility. Shadow step takes a second or two to complete and telegraphs where you are going so any decent player will just kill you the moment it finishes. Wraithform makes you take no damage but you cant fight back so it's only good to close distance or to get out of a bad spot, it doesn't last long enough that enemies cant just chase you though. His only really strong ability is his ulti but even then unless you surprise the opponent he's easy to kill and it shuts down your ultimate.

Soldier76- standard fps guy, accurate gun, has a rocket launcher, sprint. etc. He can drop a med pack division style that heals everyone within a certain radius on your team. If you can constantly hit headshots his standard rifle is pretty strong, the unlimited sprint is nice mobility wise, and he can rocket jump. Nothing special about this guy except his aimlock ultimate, 100% headshots on everything in your visor/aim. You can still be killed during it so watch out. 

Defense: (This was actually hard, none of them are bad)

Spoiler

Best 2

Spoiler

Mei- I have to put her as top two simply due to her zoning abilities. She has a decent hp pool, coupled with an ability to make her invulnerable and fully regain hp. the way her left click works is that it will slow an opponent and eventually stun them, when you stun them rightclick an icicle into their face and they die. Her ulti is basically an AoE version of her leftclick and it acts faster, great for clearing out payloads that enemies are sitting on or objectives. What makes her special though is her ice wall, the ability to zone out enemies is great, and it has a short cooldown. You can also use it to move around the map by standing on it when it goes up, or use it to get some teammates into positions they shouldn't be able to get to (boost bastion places for his turret and be an asshole).

Widowmaker - sure you can sit in the back and snipe but that's really not using her well imo. When scoped in she's 100% accurate, even in the air, use her grappling hook to fly over buildings and shoot people from above.  It also does pretty great damage when 100% charged. What seperates good widowmaker players from being a bottom  hero is going to be their ability to abuse her mobility, as other then that venom mine isn't great at anything except informing you of when someone runs into it and hanzo has a water downed version of her ulti as a short cooldown normal ability.

Middle 2

Spoiler

Hanzo- Only loses to Widowmaker because her mobility is better imo. Other then that his attacks are better, scatter arrow is great for clearing enclosed spaces, sonic arrow is a water downed version of  Widowmakers ulti except it has a much shorter cooldown. Oh yea his ulti can go through things, so get behind a wall where you know enemies are on the other side, aim at them and shoot, easy multikills, just learn the effective range on it and you'll be good. OH yea he can wallrun like genji.

Junkrat- Most of his abilities are shit, so why isn't he the bottom? his fucking leftclick lobs grenades, and is basically spammable with good damage. Once you learn some places you can lob grenades into he gets really strong, just lob grenades into an objective from safety, or over walls at enemies, or bounce them around corners, you can do a lot of shit with it. the trap is great for setting up kills for teammates since it gets someone stuck for a few seconds.  Concussionmine gives you some mobility by blasting you places (or enemies off the map). When you die you do a martyrdom and drop grenades around you, so die next to enemies. His ulti is pretty strong but has no health and can be killed before it explodes.

Bottom 2

Spoiler

Bastion- Yes I'm putting this guy on the bottom, he has a nice self-repair and does AMAZING damage in turret mode, but seriously its a fucking stationary turret if you constantly die to this thing you have a problem. I mean his tank ulti is nice but other then that he's super easy to deal with.

TorBjorn - again turrets, seriously how hard is it to deal with turrets people? His shotgun is meh, His ulti only gives a temporary buff to his turret and makes him attack faster. The armor packs are ok I guess, but don't seem super effective so far.

Support (only has 4)

Spoiler

Lucio-seems to be the strongest atm he's fast, mobile, has AoE passive buffs for speed or healing, and isn't bad on attacking, and has a knockback. One of his abilities just temporarily boosts whatever buff he's giving. His ulti gives shields to everyone around him.  not a lot to say

symmetra- decent attacks, the leftclick kinda sucks unless you can hold it on an enemy for a bit, rightclick is easy to dodge. Her turrets do good damage but have 1 hp each, (you can have 6 up at any given time though iirc). she can give people shields that will autoregenerate as long as that person is alive, so buff everyone before you leave spawn and then only buff them again when they die.  Her ulti is what makes her special though, she places a teleporterthing that people in spawn can go through and teleport to it, it can be destroyed so find a nice place to hide it and save your team time when getting back to important points.

mercy- Seemingly the go-to support atm. basically the Medic from TF2, just keep your heal beam on friendlys, you can change it up to increase their damage if you want, her pistol is meh but works if you can hit people reliably. She doesn't fall very fast which sometimes sucks as people pick you out of the sky. Guardian angel adds some mobility by allowing her to basically grapple a teammate and fly at them to heal. Her ulti is self explanatory, it res's people at full hp.

Zenyatta- Havent seen him much or gotten to play him yet, his attack orb is pretty strong. He can throw an orb on someone and remain in LoS to constantly heal them, but can only be done to 1 person at a time. He can do basically the same thing to opponents except they take more damage in LoS. easy to deal with though, just get out of sight from him -_-. His ulti is a big AoE invulnerability and hp regen zone, you have to channel it but I see a lot of promise from it in teamplay.

Tanks (only 5)

Spoiler

best 2?

Spoiler

Zarya- she gives herself a shield, she can give an ally a shield as well. Decent hp and damage, but really the only reason she's good is her ulti imo. Basically pulls all enemies into a small zone, perfect if you can set up for a friendly pharah barrage or hanzo dragon arrow thing.

Reinhardt- DEPLOYS A FUCKING RECTANGLE SHIELD FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY GET BEHIND IT AND DONT DIE PUBBIES. can also charge poppy style and pin people against walls for damage. His ulti does a cone infront of him that stuns people and damages them. Only reason he's any good is his shield though, use it to control a payload or block for a bastion or something, takes a lot to kill.

Middle

Spoiler

D.VA- Pretty one trick pony with her mech, but its really strong her short range cannons have infinite ammo and never need reloaded. Boosters only have a 5 second cooldown and you can push people off shit. she has a anti-range shield that can stop pharah's full barrage if you learn to aim it right. Self-destruct does some stupid amount of damage right now, combine it with boosters to send the mech into the middle of enemies for an easy teamwipe, if you killsomeone you can instantly call down another mech else your stuck with her pistol, which isn't that strong.

Bottom 2

Spoiler

Winston- he's not that great of a tank, most mobile besides DVA though with his jump. His AOE barrier thing can be walked through and shot out of so its good for protecting teammates just be careful someone doesn't jump in CQC style and kill you all. Ulti adds a bunch of damage to his melee but makes it so he can only melee and use his jumps. His main attack arc cannon thing isn't that strong but it autoaims itself

Roadhog- ehh, besides his chain pull to fuck with people and his self-regen ability he's basically a big ass type 5 with a lot of hp but no real threat to anything. Slow as hell, shotgun only works well if you chain someone into it, and ulti is basically his shotgun on steroids that knocks people back.

Been playing mostly offense/defense characters so if you don't agree with anything or figure out a new way to use someone tell me, or hate my list, don't really care.

This is the first shooter I've picked up in many years. Lots of fun, but also frustrating because a combination of me being rusty + potato teams T^T

Mostly enjoy playing support but at low ranks it's frustrating because everyone seems to spread out and get picked off. On the rare occasion that people actually stick near the Reinhardt and utilize his shield, healing/buffing as Mercy has been hella fun.

9 hours ago, Roku said:

This is the first shooter I've picked up in many years. Lots of fun, but also frustrating because a combination of me being rusty + potato teams T^T

Mostly enjoy playing support but at low ranks it's frustrating because everyone seems to spread out and get picked off. On the rare occasion that people actually stick near the Reinhardt and utilize his shield, healing/buffing as Mercy has been hella fun.

problem atm with being mercy is people take you for granted and never fucking help you on your team. seriously, if im mercy there could be a fucking tracer or genji sitting on my dick and my team is not paying attention 2 feet away so i die.

Edit: also if anyone wonders why i placed Bastion so far fucking down on my list its because i mainly play tracer because she's fun as fuck and bastion is a free kill for me 99% of the time.

Game is generally fun, but there's a few things that I find very annoying.

Shitty matchmaker - tonight I've been dumped into so many partially complete shit matches where we're about to lose that I decided to just stop playing for a while. The worst was a string of three - first one, the game ended about 10 seconds after I got in with a loss. Second time, I came in on the losing side of a best of three, and the final time I came in with 1 minute on the clock in a losing assault.

I understand why there isn't friendly fire, but at the same time being a person who has only ever played traditional FPS games, it annoys the fuck out of me that it isn't enabled.

16 hours ago, Roku said:

Game is generally fun, but there's a few things that I find very annoying.

Shitty matchmaker - tonight I've been dumped into so many partially complete shit matches where we're about to lose that I decided to just stop playing for a while. The worst was a string of three - first one, the game ended about 10 seconds after I got in with a loss. Second time, I came in on the losing side of a best of three, and the final time I came in with 1 minute on the clock in a losing assault.

I understand why there isn't friendly fire, but at the same time being a person who has only ever played traditional FPS games, it annoys the fuck out of me that it isn't enabled.

MM sometimes screws you over, but the clock doesnt mean that much tbh. there is no snowball effect in this game so comebacks are very viable. Combined with the overtime mechanic you can go from losing the entire game to winning in OT.

6 hours ago, hallo1994 said:

-snip-

I have to say I disagree about a couple points in there.

Some interesting things:

tracer's recall- It autoreloads you (same idea as mcree's roll) so it does NOT reset you to whatever ammo you had prior. It jumps you back 3 seconds (get good at timing this if you want to be good at her). The moment the guns leave tracers hand you get 2 seconds of invulnerability until she exits the recall. This is different from blink as there are actual hitboxes during your blink.

She looks like she has a damage zone, max damage output is right outside Mei's M1 range. Her pistols take ~1 second to dump their clip. at close range with headshots this does like 300 damage (you can drop a tank in 2 close range clips) . anything outside of this range seems to be absolute trash.

Genji's M1 attack is 100% accurate. at all times. With no damage drop off. His melee is really strong at close range after a m2 shuriken.  his dragonblade sucks if he doesn't have his dash strike to close distance.

Junkrat and pharohs grenade/rockets do 120 damage on direct hits.

Soldier 76s first 3 shots are always 100% accurate.

Symmetras teleporter exits TOWARDS you when you put it down.

Widowmaker is 100% accurate in scope, using your grappling hook to create angles and shooting people as you fall is a good way to get kills over buildings. She does 150 damage per shot.

Mei has a right click ffs. I see so many people just using M1.

Yup, and he even has that nice crutch bomb to keep people from moving if you're shit at hitting a moving target like I am :doge:

Figures I'd get an awesome skin for a hero I didn't plan on playing :doge:

But I guess Zenyatta turned out to be pretty fun. Got his Ifrit skin out of a loot box and it looks amazing :cri:

He's hella fragile, but when I actually have a moment where I can aim at someone I've put the Discord Orb on and hit with a charge up it's pretty devastating.

People always wonder why I love tracer. It's because I can do shit like this with her and I cant with any other character (idk maybe genji can wallrun it but it would be sketchy, ill try him out later)

edit: Genji can do it, you just have to do a doublejump-wallrun-swiftstrike :P