I watched the Nvidia webcast on Twitch tonight.

So it looks like we learned a a few things about the new GTX 1080:

• Available May 27th
  • $599 MSRP
  • $699 founders Edition(Overclocking version)
  • 2.1 GHz GPU on air cooling.
  • 8GB of GDDR5X memory
  • 65 degrees C on air cooling at 2.1 GHz
  • 180 Watts power draw
  • GTX 1080 is faster than a TItan X or 980 SLI.  Nvidia's chart showed the GTX 1080 being about 20-25% faster than a Titan X with a lot lower power draw

The GTX 1080 has the ability to do corrected view angles on 3+ monitors and 16 different view ports.  Its called Simultaneous Multi Projection.  This also means they can do 3D VR with correct viewing angles for each eye to make the 3D Image without distortion by doing 4+ panels per eye at 90+ FPS.
The GTX 1080 has Twice the performance of a Titan X in VR

GTX 1070:

• Faster than Titan X
  • $379 MSRP
  • $449 Founders Edition(Overclocking version)

Other new Nvidia Stuff:
The new Pascal GPUs had a 2+ Billion dollar R&D budget.
In Game Camera system.  Port in game 3D world to your Android phone.
Acoustic Simulation in 3D.
Open Source VR engine

1 minute ago, TaylorSwift said:

Holy shit 4k is runnable bois!

The demand for 4K displays is going to go up soon.

4 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Jesus the cost is ridiculously low for what they promise.

I was thinking the GTX 1080 might be released at a great price considering how well the GTX 970 performed to the GTX 780 ti.  

31 minutes ago, Bavor said:

I was thinking the GTX 1080 might be released at a great price considering how well the GTX 970 performed to the GTX 780 ti.  

Yeah, The 1080 price sort of shocked me. As did the 1070.

2 hours ago, bolagnaise said:

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

That's only $813.13 AUD minus GST. Amazing pricing,

Also add 200-300$ more because Straya

I was looking at the photos form the Nvidia presentation again.  Everyone is comparing the GTX 1080 to the Titan X.  But I'm looking at it from a different perspective.  The GTX 1080 is how much faster than the GTX 980?  The GTX 1080 ti will be how fast?  The GTX 1080 ti will be the true single card 4K gaming solution that will allow gamers to play all current games at very high detail settings at 4K and 60+ FPS.

If you go by the same performance differences that the GTX 9XX series is shown to have on their "relative gaming performance" scale, then the GTX 1070 is going to also be significantly faster than the Titan X and the GTX 1060 will be offering at least GTX 970 levels of performance.  I actually wouldn't be shocked to see aftermarket GTX 1050's offer near GTX 970 levels of performance.

3 hours ago, TaylorSwift said:

Holy shit 4k is runnable bois!

Been on 4k for over a year now, nerd.

I may scrap the unholy abomination and get a 1080, provided they make a water block for it relatively soon after launch.

Wait, how big is the performance difference between 1070 and 1080? I'm on the GTX 780 and perfectly happy with it for now but that 1080 looks drool-worthy.

20 minutes ago, DeltaVolt said:

Wait, how big is the performance difference between 1070 and 1080? I'm on the GTX 780 and perfectly happy with it for now but that 1080 looks drool-worthy.

Its more powerful than a titan, thats as much info as i have seen on the 1070, might have to wait until May 27th for performance figures to come out

any info on the 960/970 successors? i'm trying to find the alternative for the 380x...

Calm down guys. Here is some perspective

Now NV is claiming - at an PR event - ~25% more performance than 980Ti. Sure you can also overclock the 1080, but that still has to be evaluated yet. Depending on architecture 10% higher clocks doesnt always result in 10% more performance - scaling.

To me that still doesnt look like a real 4K card - close but not quiet there. Big Pascal (1080 Ti) will probably be the card for that from NV.

verdict - looks like NV still got it, especially when it come to milking the customers. The 1070 will be the more interesting part.

those prices are the most shocking things about these new cards.

for a card that promises to be 20-25% more powerful than a titan x, and is around 3-4 hundred dollars less than the titan X ( or 600 less for the 1070). i find it kinda hard to believe that they will be priced at what Nvidia claims. 

I personally wouldn't pay for the 1080 but damn, the 1070 seems tempting. Lets see what AMD has to offer as well. May skip the R9 390 and go for something else. :hb:

EDIT: Actually I'm definitely getting an 1070 over the R9 390 for that price, rip 980ti & titan x buyers :serb:

6 hours ago, H4NI said:

any info on the 960/970 successors? i'm trying to find the alternative for the 380x...

The GTX 970 successor is the GTX 1070.

The GTX 960 successor(GTX 1060) will come out a few months after the GTX 1070 according to the latest timeline I saw.

4 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

those prices are the most shocking things about these new cards.

for a card that promises to be 20-25% more powerful than a titan x, and is around 3-4 hundred dollars less than the titan X ( or 600 less for the 1070). i find it kinda hard to believe that they will be priced at what Nvidia claims. 

When the GTX 9XX series came out the GTX 970 was about the same speed in many games as the GTX 780 ti and cost less.

Nvidia released the full specs of the reference design:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Scroll down the page and click the link for full specs.

GPU Engine Specs:
NVIDIA CUDA® Cores: 2560
Base Clock (MHz): 1607
Boost Clock (MHz): 1733

Memory Specs:
Memory Speed: 10 Gbps
Standard Memory Config: 8 GB GDDR5X
Memory Interface Width: 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec): 320

Display Support:
Maximum Digital Resolution: 7680x4320@60Hz
Standard Display Connectors: DP 1.42, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI
Multi Monitor: Yes
HDCP: 2.2

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Tempurature (in C): 94
Graphics Card Power (W): 180
Recommended System Power (W): 500 W
Supplementary Power Connectors: 8-Pin

The 2.1 GHz version was an overclocked card.  Maybe the Founder's edition?  I'd expect to see factory overclocked cards from EVGA, MSi, Zotac, etc... all within a couple weeks of the release date or maybe even on the release date.

Nvidia is claiming about 75% faster FPS than the GTX 980 in Tomb Raider and about 60% faster FPS in The Witcher: Wild Hunt than the GTX 980.

I'm fine with my 980 Ti. I'm going to wait for at least another generation, maybe two.

6 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Calm down guys. Here is some perspective

Now NV is claiming - at an PR event - ~25% more performance than 980Ti. Sure you can also overclock the 1080, but that still has to be evaluated yet. Depending on architecture 10% higher clocks doesnt always result in 10% more performance - scaling.

To me that still doesnt look like a real 4K card - close but not quiet there. Big Pascal (1080 Ti) will probably be the card for that from NV.

verdict - looks like NV still got it, especially when it come to milking the customers. The 1070 will be the more interesting part.

You can also overclock the GTX 1080.  The reference design of the GTX 1080 has a GPU clock of 1733 MHz.  The GTX 1080 GPU they demoed was running at 2100+ MHz and 65 degrees C.  I wonder what clock speeds the GPU is capable of at 70-80 degrees C or with aftermarket cooling from EVGA or MSI?

You are also comparing the GTX 980 ti to the lower level part of the next generation.  That's like comparing a GTX 780 ti to the GTX 980.  What's the performance difference between the GTX 980 and GTX 1080 is what you should be asking.  When Nvidia released the GTX 970, the reference design was slightly slower on average than the GTX 780 ti and the Titan Black.  The GTX 1070 is supposedly faster than the GTX 980 ti and Titan X.  Right there is a significant improvement.

Also, Nvidia will probably wait to release the GTX 1080 ti for 6 months like they did with the GTX 980 ti unless they get pressure from AMD with a new GPU release.