Sexy_Dave

Can the Su-152 and up line camo snipe?

Hey all

Been having a blast playing the Jagdpanther/JGP2/Jagdtiger, but (aside from the Jagdpanther) they seem to be spotted even at extreme ranges as soon as I open fire. (Unless I double bush etc)

Are the Soviet TD lines the same? They statistically have a higher camo value, but I'm not sure how more effective it is.

Not looking for E25 levels of stealth, just curious if the SU/ISU/704 actually has a chance of not being spotted after firing. 

You can't really rely on camo in any tank in this game, but yeah, the 268 line is very good at staying hidden in comparison. Not just because of those camo values, but also because you only need one good shot and you're good to go for a bit. No need to sustain fire and keep risking a spotting check, just one BL-10 round and you'll be halfway behind a house before a spotting check hits you.

4 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

^Pity actually wrote an article on the SU-152, back in ancient history when he still played

Its probably completely irrelevant now, the game has a changed a lot since then.

Wasn't hard to camo snipe 3 marks on ISU while spotting the targets yourself with binocs. This line is about as good as it gets for camo sniping in the corridor meta. Camo on the jagdpanther is a laughing joke in comparison.

You just sit behind a bush, shoot someone for 750, pull back behind cover. You'll go invisible before you reload. Repeat and profit.

Just now, Hally said:

Wasn't hard to camo snipe 3 marks on ISU while spotting the targets yourself with binocs. This line is about as good as it gets for camo sniping in the corridor meta. Camo on the jagdpanther is a laughing joke in comparison.

Don't use binocs, use optics instead. Binocs are particularly useless on a TD with a very limited gun traverse.

Binocs ended up being far more useful after the view range nerf. Optics just isn't enough for a lot of situations.

The limited traverse actually doesn't hinder binocs at all. Stuff stay spotted for 10 seconds even after you turn and disable binocs, more than long enough for you to get your shot in.

Also, the jump from 450m to 500m view range is huge. A lot of magical things happen there ^^

4 hours ago, Zinn said:

I just played my 704 like a proper assault gun: Autoforwards right into the enemy team, bouncing with the troll armor and derping for 750 dmg. Fuck camo sniping :surprisefish:

Who needs camo when they're dead? ammarite? hun?

Thanks all- yeah, I'm not looking to be able to continuously snipe without being spotted ala E25 (although that would be cool...maybe a bit OP) but if I can sometimes avoid detection , or at least get the first shot more often than not, it would be great.

4 hours ago, Sexy_Dave said:

Thanks all- yeah, I'm not looking to be able to continuously snipe without being spotted ala E25 (although that would be cool...maybe a bit OP) but if I can sometimes avoid detection , or at least get the first shot more often than not, it would be great.

You are doing it wrong.

E 25 was broken, but in this meta even E 25 has a lot of trouble sniping unspotted. Its ability to do so lied in the limited mm and raping the tiers 5-6 with 75% crews and no equipment. I have been so far sniped maybe 2-3 times by E 25 without being able to shoot back even in my tier 6...even that was in russian heavies. Even Prokhorovka you can use the rails/houses/go through the lake from north to south to shorten the distance if there is one in enemy team.

And russian tds have like 5% camo on firing at best, E 25 has more than 3x times that.

On every Soviet td always use the biggest gun. 14 seconds reload is plenty to go dark between shots. Try to use ridges to facilitate retreat. Retreat after EVERY shot behind hard cover. If no ridge is available, use houses or earth ramparts, guns are off centre so you can hide about 60% of tank.

DO NOT use 122 mm. Dpm is better on paper(but even gold works only when top tier reliably), but the whole line is soft (even 704, anyone with a brain would penn it with - it has about 190-200 mm efe armor, and troll bounces are things of the past, whre it was a bitch to hit non spaced armor/mantlet parts...now the ranges of combat are so short that it is rly easy to do that). After you fire you will get raped by 10 guns before you squeeze off your 3rd shot. You have very low hp for a tier where heavies have 60-80% more, and one tier higher have double. You can not dpm anyone down because of that...this is not the AT line.

Use 152 mm, and shoot a mixture of HEAT and HE mostly. HE on soft and ultra hard targets targets, HEAT on better armored ones (but not E-75 and like), and even ap is usefull against meds that are just beyond full penn by HE or have a lot of tracks (like a ton of tier 6-8 meds and softer, but not paper tds. Useful mostly late battle with fewer enemies left..)

Use the derp for the ISU grind, but no AP, just a mixture of 30% heat and 70% HE. HEAT is a lot less effective at the tier, but still useful when top tier. APCR would be laughed on if you are stupid enough to use 122

6 hours ago, Felicius said:

E 25 was broken, but in this meta even E 25 has a lot of trouble sniping unspotted. Its ability to do so lied in the limited mm and raping the tiers 5-6 with 75% crews and no equipment. I have been so far sniped maybe 2-3 times by E 25 without being able to shoot back even in my tier 6...even that was in russian heavies. Even Prokhorovka you can use the rails/houses/go through the lake from north to south to shorten the distance if there is one in enemy team.

And russian tds have like 5% camo on firing at best, E 25 has more than 3x times that.

e25%20op%20camo%20is%20op.png

These are my E-25 camo values as of now

Camosniping is retarded in this thing

It's pretty great, but I think his point was more that there isn't that many places where you can repeatedly get shots from so far away that an 18% camo tank won't be spotted. My E-25 has that camo too, and more often than not I find myself playing medium duty from CQC because the only sniping spots on the map are completely worthless "I'll get some shots in after my front line implodes" type locations.

In current meta it is hard to farm dmg based on camo. Regarding the SU-152, on a situational basis it is still possible
to have some great games.I remember a game where I used the double-bush on H1 south spawn Cliff and racked up
between 4 and 5k dmg in a tier 9 game. (I prefer the short-barreled 152) 
But it is nowhere near the old days.
The most underrated SU from a camo-perspective is the SU-122-44 because for some reason it kept its
old camo values(the argument was that it is a premium stronk tenk) from before patch 9.1.
Look at what this dude did in it on Malinovka. It was done in Aug 2015 but SU-122-44's camo values
are still the same I believe

10 hours ago, ProxyCentauri said:

The most underrated SU from a camo-perspective is the SU-122-44 because for some reason it kept its
old camo values(the argument was that it is a premium stronk tenk) from before patch 9.1.

It's a premium, so like the E25 it didn't get nerfed.