Sign in to follow this  
wevilc

I snipe, you camp, he is a coward

I occasionally get flak for 'camping'.   Yesterday, I got into a heated argument, during and after the game, with a medium Brit tank in a tier III affair on Rockfields.   I was partly to blame.   I, driving a Valentine AT, headed for my favourite opening spot only to find this guy there.   Although there was room for both of us, I upbraided him brusquely and told him in no uncertain terms to bugger off and fight.   Which, amazingly, he did, albeit nursing a grudge.   The badinage continued until the end of the game and, as I say, afterwards.   I had a cast-iron case: four kills and ending up in the base circle (after engaging in mortal combat with the incumbent) while someone shot up their last poor blighter, whereas my interlocutor had died very quickly (lol).   Tier III it may be, but I actually have a great score with the Valentine AT and find it a lot of fun (more than one kill per match and more than two kills per death).   I do, however, camp a bit.   I even make little nests out of trees by knocking them over in a seemly manner and then hiding inside them.

So I ask, why does camping have such a bad rep?   Is it agreed there is good and bad camping?   Sure, pointless hiding behind a rock until your team is 6-3 down is utterly stupid, but perching atop a decent promontory with an encompassing view of large parts of the battlefield, with every preparedness to shift to spot B if deemed fit, seems not only sensible but required if driving a slow TD with no turret and little hope of doing much at close quarters.

Before they changed it, Winter Malinovka was brilliant for camping.   Now I camp mainly on Rockfield and Dead Rail, albeit not usually throughout the game.

What say the more learned?

ETA I even signal an 'affirmative' when somebody says 'hill' at the beginning of a Mines game and then promptly go off to one of my camping sites leaving the heroism to others.   How dastardly is that?

By camping you are actively choosing to say you don't give 2 shits about winning 99 times of 100.

You get no effective shots for the majority of the match until your teammates have died.

3 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

By camping you are actively choosing to say you don't give 2 shits about winning 99 times of 100.

You get no effective shots for the majority of the match until your teammates have died.

You're generally correct, but this was a tier 3 battle and in low tiers camping is the key to winning. But that's a conversation for another day...

Camping and sniping often gets confused by pubbies. Those are two very different terms, so let's break it down;

Camping is basically giving no fucks about teamplay, winning, helping, whatever. It's finding a place you feel safe in, whatever the tank, and sitting right there until you get killed or your team wins. To do this I think you need to be pretty shit honestly, and I question why you would even make the effort to log in and press battle. There is no actual gameplay in this, if there is it's purely accidental; someone drives past your crosshair on their way to arty, or team collapsed and the tsunami of pubbies are coming your way- time to scream "noob team" in chat as you die.

Sniping is staying in the game at all times, putting the DPM to good use, pumping out damage and having focus on fire-lines, camo, render, relocate whenever needed, etc, with a much lower risk of being killed early than if you go head to head. It's a skill to snipe successfully, and often it's a necessity due to tank choice, map and enemy team lineup. When needed you go in close combat and use your HP for cleanup. You do not snipe in tanks that are not suited for sniping, if you are in a E100 trying to shoot stuff fom the base on Cliff you are camping.

IMPORTANT: Usually you only find unicum++ players sniping with great success(higher dmg out, less dmg in, higher wr), mediocre to good players often snipe for too long or not long enough, and really bad players are usually in the first category hiding behind the term "sniping".

46 minutes ago, sr360 said:

You're generally correct, but this was a tier 3 battle and in low tiers camping is the key to winning. But that's a conversation for another day...

I'd argue otherwise.

If you are not

a. Shooting

b. Relocating to a proper spot where you can shoot something

c. passive spotting

You are camping.

Camping gets such a bad rep because you are not helping your team. Instead of waiting for damage to come to you, you ought to go to the damage.

Nurki, summed it up well. However, some thing of note is that sometimes sniping is not the tactics required to win games and be a unicum always. Alot of unicums agree that to win games, sometimes it is required to push aggressively, so be wary of not falling into the trap of falling back to try to preserve your HP when aggressive trading and pushing is what is needed. 

10 hours ago, MissNurki said:

IMPORTANT: Usually you only find unicum++ players sniping with great success(higher dmg out, less dmg in, higher wr), mediocre to good players often snipe for too long or not long enough, and really bad players are usually in the first category hiding behind the term "sniping".

This i often catch myself and it ends up hindsight is 20/20 im a noob realization

Sniping is moving to a position with a good firing lane and getting shots on people out of view range so you can stay dark while firing at them. Sniping requires you to move to where you can get shots if you don't have any.

camping is just sitting in one place the entire game hoping people drive into your gun so you can shoot them. 

Serial camping is STILL sitting in that spot despite the fact there are only 5 enemies left on the team and all of them are spotted on the complete opposite side of the map. People that do that I have absolutely no clue how they actually enjoy it. sitting there doing absolutely nothing all game every game. 

4 hours ago, TaylorSwift said:

NOTE THAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT BLITZ, NOT THE PC GAME. THERE MAY BE MASSIVE META DIFFERENCES THAT (ALMOST) EVERYONE IS TOTALLY UNAWARE OF BEFORE COMMENTING.

True.   Differences include these:

1 the game is shorter

2 the map is smaller

3 there are fewer players

4 there is little scope for team play aside from an often disregarded and anyway necessarily brief exhortation to 'group left' or similar

I suggest all these factors favour sniping, especially in a vehicle which is more or less designed for it.   The chance of making a decisive contribution by killing two or three opponents or just by damaging them is, I suspect, greater than in the PC variant.   It is also unilateral and does not depend that much on team co-operation.   If you know where the fighting tends to concentrate and can train a gun there from a distance then the winning chances enlarge, certainly if driving a Valentine AT which tends not to do so well close up.   There are, I think, only four maps below tier IV (Mines, Rockfield, Copperfield and Fort Despair) and all of them have some neat places from which to take pot shots, even if not from first to last. 

So, I am revealing my true colours and declaring that, IMO, sniping is an entirely valid activity at low tier blitz if in the right vehicle and so long as it does not transit either into purposeless hiding or mindless disregard of circumstances.

On 5/10/2016 at 8:21 AM, wevilc said:

I don't get why camping gets such a bad rep either. I'm literally helping out my teammates by lowering ze opponents hp. Tho, there is always that one person calling ze camper for "not helping" even tho he died first. I mainly use turretless TD's so it should be reasonable enough to camp. Its always people that suck with TD's that complain, like no, im not listening to a person who's main class is LT and med, no one is gonna tell me how to do my job. last time i did what a LT told me to do and i got surrounded my LT's while my team abandoned me. I don't abandon anyone, i got many thx for lowering opponents hp. Don't abandon your comrades, always help them out, every tank matters(except that one LT that always complain about everything).

Camping is just as bad, if not worse than a lordsheen yolo into the reds. I'd rather have you gone and done with in that time than to think I can possibly reply on you to at least give me cover fire late game.
Active sniping is fine, as long as your gun is actually shooting and hitting. Just rounds downrange is terrible. snipe, move, snipe, move. otherwise just use a bot program that autoaims reds.