Assassin7

The Grand Tour - New Clarkson, Hammond and May show.

So, couple of days ago, I decided to give the new-new... new Top Gear a go. I wasn't expecting much after last season, which was horrible. I was actually pleasantly surprised, because it's not too bad. Watched 4 episodes so far. More in spoiler

Let's start with the bad. Pretty much most of the stuff done in studio is bad. Studio itself is changed, it's ok, pretty generic but ok. There is no "hard" structure/format anymore. The guest star stays in studio longer and they just sort of chat about news and cars and stuff, it's not hard segmented into News and Star in a reasonably priced car etc.. The part where Chris Harris is a teacher and is training the celebs is horrible. I'd say the structure is slightly worse than old format, but it's mostly because the new presenters are not as entertaining/are not good presenters/don't quite have the chemistry (yet?).

That's the other issue. Presenters. Chris Harris does great reviews IMO and does a decent job at challenges, but is bad in the studio (still better than anybody from 5th Gear, mind). Atleast he's bald and short so a couple of running jokes are starting to form. Matt improved a lot since last season, I felt like he was kinda choking last season and didn't really like the job, now he's better. However, he's kinda calm and loose, not really a leading presenter material if you ask me, and he is supposed to be a leader. Rory does fine job in the studio and reviewing, but he's kinda.... bland. 

Also, not sure if I should call this a negative, but the chemistry, offensive jokes... they are not there. However, I am not really expecting this, first of all, this is just their 1st season together, 2nd, that is what was special about the original trio, and new presenters can't and I think don't really try to replicate that. The "new" Top Gear sits somewhere between 5th Gear and "old" Top Gear style wise, and I am not too displeased. Somebody who watched "old" Top Gear just because of the original trio probably will be.

Oh, one more thing. No more Sabine please. I respect her for what she is - very good driver with excellent nurburgring knowledge, but god she's awful at anything that involves her talking into camera. Even in a challenge or review, where she isn't presenting she's just horrible.

Now, the good. The reviews and challenges. I'd praise creative team on this one, this is something that was special in Top Gear, but was missing last season and is kinda missing in GT aswell. I am not quite sure how to explain this, basically the whole concept of a challenge or a review, but small details aswell, support the challenge and/or verdict. This ranges all the way from what the challenge is, where it is shot, how it is shot etc. So, examples.

-Rory and his Twingo GT review with pac-man styled challenge. Twingo GT is a throwback to old hot-hatch era, when hot-hatches were simple, affordable, driven often by teenagers, and now are kinda retro. Pacman is from the same era, and greatly supports the Twingo being retro oldschool hot-hatch. It's quite similar to it, it was simple and cheap fun for young people. Nowadays, arcade games are kinda dead, games are much more expensive, much more complicated, just like hothatches. It's a great match.

-Matt and his 124 Abarth review. Done in fake Italy aka hollywood. Again, same thing. The location supports their argument that 124 Abart is fake italian roadster. 

-Roadster supercars in 4-seasons roadtrip/challenge. Again, great test, since presenters claimed these cars can be used all year round.

This is what I really like, there were other reviews/challenges like this, even smaller details like certain camera shots/filters but I don't wanna go into that. 

Also, the reviews themselves. I really like the ones done by Chris Harris, they are legit better than what C/H/M used to do. Matt is pretty good at this, better than I expected, Rory is ok (like I said he's sort of bland). There is also some form of chemistry starting to form, there are running jokes already (Matt and his obsession with heavy machinery, Chris is the nerdy one, also like I said he's bald and short). 

So yeah, I like it. Is it better than GT? Not sure on that one, I'd actually put both shows on similar level, with both a lot of room to improve. Anyway, I'm just glad that we now have 2 decent shows. 

1 hour ago, Marty said:

So, couple of days ago, I decided to give the new-new... new Top Gear a go. I wasn't expecting much after last season, which was horrible. I was actually pleasantly surprised, because it's not too bad. Watched 4 episodes so far. More in spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Let's start with the bad. Pretty much most of the stuff done in studio is bad. Studio itself is changed, it's ok, pretty generic but ok. There is no "hard" structure/format anymore. The guest star stays in studio longer and they just sort of chat about news and cars and stuff, it's not hard segmented into News and Star in a reasonably priced car etc.. The part where Chris Harris is a teacher and is training the celebs is horrible. I'd say the structure is slightly worse than old format, but it's mostly because the new presenters are not as entertaining/are not good presenters/don't quite have the chemistry (yet?).

That's the other issue. Presenters. Chris Harris does great reviews IMO and does a decent job at challenges, but is bad in the studio (still better than anybody from 5th Gear, mind). Atleast he's bald and short so a couple of running jokes are starting to form. Matt improved a lot since last season, I felt like he was kinda choking last season and didn't really like the job, now he's better. However, he's kinda calm and loose, not really a leading presenter material if you ask me, and he is supposed to be a leader. Rory does fine job in the studio and reviewing, but he's kinda.... bland. 

Also, not sure if I should call this a negative, but the chemistry, offensive jokes... they are not there. However, I am not really expecting this, first of all, this is just their 1st season together, 2nd, that is what was special about the original trio, and new presenters can't and I think don't really try to replicate that. The "new" Top Gear sits somewhere between 5th Gear and "old" Top Gear style wise, and I am not too displeased. Somebody who watched "old" Top Gear just because of the original trio probably will be.

Oh, one more thing. No more Sabine please. I respect her for what she is - very good driver with excellent nurburgring knowledge, but god she's awful at anything that involves her talking into camera. Even in a challenge or review, where she isn't presenting she's just horrible.

Now, the good. The reviews and challenges. I'd praise creative team on this one, this is something that was special in Top Gear, but was missing last season and is kinda missing in GT aswell. I am not quite sure how to explain this, basically the whole concept of a challenge or a review, but small details aswell, support the challenge and/or verdict. This ranges all the way from what the challenge is, where it is shot, how it is shot etc. So, examples.

-Rory and his Twingo GT review with pac-man styled challenge. Twingo GT is a throwback to old hot-hatch era, when hot-hatches were simple, affordable, driven often by teenagers, and now are kinda retro. Pacman is from the same era, and greatly supports the Twingo being retro oldschool hot-hatch. It's quite similar to it, it was simple and cheap fun for young people. Nowadays, arcade games are kinda dead, games are much more expensive, much more complicated, just like hothatches. It's a great match.

-Matt and his 124 Abarth review. Done in fake Italy aka hollywood. Again, same thing. The location supports their argument that 124 Abart is fake italian roadster. 

-Roadster supercars in 4-seasons roadtrip/challenge. Again, great test, since presenters claimed these cars can be used all year round.

This is what I really like, there were other reviews/challenges like this, even smaller details like certain camera shots/filters but I don't wanna go into that. 

Also, the reviews themselves. I really like the ones done by Chris Harris, they are legit better than what C/H/M used to do. Matt is pretty good at this, better than I expected, Rory is ok (like I said he's sort of bland). There is also some form of chemistry starting to form, there are running jokes already (Matt and his obsession with heavy machinery, Chris is the nerdy one, also like I said he's bald and short). 

So yeah, I like it. Is it better than GT? Not sure on that one, I'd actually put both shows on similar level, with both a lot of room to improve. Anyway, I'm just glad that we now have 2 decent shows. 

How this is related to Grand Tour? :doge:

5 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

How this is related to Grand Tour? :doge:

No relation apart from main people behind GT making 22 seasons of Top Gear :kjugh:

It's ~6 months till next GT season will air so might aswell bump the thread with Top Gear. 

I watched 1 episode of the new top gear, directly after Clarkson etc left. i liked Matt, he was decent. Other than that, it was really cringey to watch,

Havent watched the new new TG, or any other episodes of the first new TG