OOPMan

I have suicidal depression—and board games saved my life

so the TLDR is depressed man found ways to compromise with life?

33 minutes ago, Lockhart77 said:

so the TLDR is depressed man found ways to compromise with life?

Pretty much :-)

It's kind of uplifting, really, games haven't been the same for me since I got serious about world of tanks. It used to be that I yearned just to play the game at all but then I started to get serious about performance. It's never been quite the same.

3 minutes ago, Cunicularius said:

It's kind of uplifting, really, games haven't been the same for me since I got serious about world of tanks. It used to be that I yearned just to play the game at all but then I started to get serious about performance. It's never been quite the same.

Same here, but with me it's more of an age thing (I never performed well in tonk anyway). It might be just that with you as well. You grew older.

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

Pretty much :-)

A particular thing I like is that I learned that tabletop cafes are a thing, too bad there isn't any in the country I live in, at least so far. Sounds like a good business idea to start up :P

49 minutes ago, Xen said:

That's neat, but tabletop games require friends. Now, where do I get those?

Try my new start-up: https://www.rentafriend.co/

1 hour ago, Cunicularius said:

Gaming got better for me after I got bored of WoT. Don't worry, there is hope...

11 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Gaming got better for me after I got bored of WoT. Don't worry, there is hope...

I don't play this game enough to get bored of it.

What'd really help me is a better computer... 

7 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

Allahu Akbar!

There is only ONE board game.

grandmaster-chess-set.jpg

All others are infidels 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Honestly, I find Chess and Go pretty dull.

Not saying they're bad games or limited or anything.

But compared to trying and hilariously failing to save the world from Cthulhu in Eldritch Horror they're just a little...boring.

Compared to making a run on a stack of unrezzed, potentially lethal black ICE in Net Runner they're just a little...boring.

For me, this actually makes Chess and Go unplayable. I need more flavour to my games, it's not 1000AD anymore.

WoT (and the pursuit of becoming better at the game) had a huge hand in pulling me out of unemployment-related depression last year.

I love the fuck out of board games too - I'm slowly expanding my collection of ("higher-level") board games. But it's not exactly easy to find friends who share the same love. I mean, who the fuck wants to play with cardboard bits when they can do pixel shit, right? 

The upshot of it is that being able to (rather quickly) become good at games I play gives me renewed hope that I'm not shit@lyfe (I have serious confidence issues) and energy to take on life. Basically analysing why I do well in some areas, extract relevant lessons/principles and apply to RL.

While WoT has quickly paled for me (shit server, shit mechanics), I don't have that issue with board games, and I suspect they will actually keep me running for a long time.

I also have a couple of other pursuits which have helped me stave off suicidal/depressive thoughts, including helping/teaching/mentoring others, etc. Ultimately, I think there are some specific things which will work for some specific people, and (for such people) it's a matter of blundering around staying alive long enough to find them. So I'm glad to read that article, honestly.

On 5/15/2016 at 7:01 AM, Xen said:

That's neat, but tabletop games require friends. Now, where do I get those?

Yeah, my gaming group fell apart over a year ago and I haven't played anything since then.  It's just too much of a hassle to get find a new one.  I used to be a hard core rpg and boardgamer, but these days games like wot suit me better.