FreddBoy

Help Fredd Choose a Laptop for Gaming

Hi everyone who is tech savvy,

After much thought and deliberation, and with the arrival of baby number 2 imminent, I simply haven't got the space to set up a proper gaming rig. So, my only option now is to get a decent laptop for gaming, as I would have to pack it away after each gaming session to avoid baby/tech disasters...

The only problem is, I have no idea what can be considered a "decent" gaming laptop at all. Could you guys point me in the right direction? My budget is around the £700 - £950 mark. This laptop will be used only for gaming and web surfing/YouTube, and I'm not fussy to what make/model/colour.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Are you going to be taking the laptop places, or is it strictly for home usage? Because if you travel, try to keep the screen size around 15", but if you don't, 17" laptops look nicer and generally have more robust cooling options (15" laptops can get pretty hot or have loud cooling).

@Assassin7

I really like the look of the MSi laptop you posted, but I'm worried that the graphics card is only 2gb, I've heard that these can be quite "slow" or not reach benchmarks on games, especially with mini graphics cards such as the GTX 960M, but is that just rumor or is there truth in it?

I don't mind a 15 or 17, as it will be much bigger than what I'm using now, and it's just going to stay in the house 99.99% of the time anyway. 

the graphics memory is basically what is used for loading textures and texture files, higher quality textures = more graphics memory needed.

2GB is plenty of playing WoT at max settings. hell, I was running GTA 5 on a GTX660 with 2GB RAM at high settings. (albeit on 900p and not 1080p)

you should be fine honestly. 

Hmm, I see. I was just worried that newer games are asking for 4gb graphics cards, but then looking deeper, people are trying to play the new DOOM on early i5 chip laptops with GTX 650 cards. And complaining that they barely get 30fps.

Top Kek.

Well, thanks everyone for the contributions, just got to decide and do more research before splashing the cash.

17 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

I've managed to travel fairly easily with my 17.

Eh 15" is already irritating for me, but I suppose half of that is the backpack completely stuffed. Oh, and having to pull two of the buggers out at security... :eww:

@FreddBoy GTX 960M is actually a pretty good little card, plays most of my steam library on high. But if you have money get a 970M or wait for the next gen mobile gpu releases :unicum: 

4 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

@Kitten, tsa precheck.  No need to remove anything from the bag.  Also, wheeled bags > backpacks, unless you're going some place with no roads/sidewalks or lots of stairs.

Long gone are the days when I got precheck for free :( 

36 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

85$ for 5 years.  I'd have gladly paid that if the boss weren't picking up the tab.  Shorter lines alone makes it worth it and more.  But, I'm a 100 flights per year guy, so...

Yeah, thankfully I'm down to ~10 whereas it was over 50 before.

fuck chicago o'hare

1 hour ago, Deusmortis said:

Lack of regular ORD stops is one of the reasons I use Delta.  But of course, that simply means it is replaced with "Fuck ATL."

my few visits there were relatively pleasant compared to some of the nonsense I've gone through in O'Hare... but at least the hot dogs at America's Dogs are pretty good...

and rarely have I strayed from the United terminals :P

Every time I've been through ORD, I've had to deal with shit like "There's still a plane parked at our gate."  ATL annoyances are mild by comparison.  My primary two are that, like everything else in Atlanta, it's not designed for the volume of people present.  You can barely get through the hall when a few people are looking at the board, or are waiting to board their flight.  Second annoyance is that the B terminal sky clubs are horrible.  They're getting replaced, though.  Most of the other clubs are nice, especially the international terminal.  Food tends to be good as well, which also happens to be the only thing I like about the city of Atlanta.  

Oh, forgot one...  I like to bring my guitar with me.  Secured in a tough, hard plastic case.  Everywhere else I go, that case seems to pass through baggage claim just fine.  ATL routes it to the oversized area.  Worse, I have to take it to the oversized drop off area myself when leaving.  Fortunately, that hassle only happens when ATL is the destination, not the connection.

6 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

Traveling equals work.  Work equals money.  Money equals new computers.

Quoted for truth. But on my case, the vast majority of money goes to bed baby things and the mortgage with bills added.

Being responsible is expensive yo.

Just now, _Assad said:

Dell M2800 - 4800 Precision. Workstations with the hardware for intense gaming.

Why waste money on pro hardware designed to CAD/CAM in first place? 

Although M6700 is one of the best laptops i encountered, still isn't for gaming... 

8 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Why waste money on pro hardware designed to CAD/CAM in first place? 

Although M6700 is one of the best laptops i encountered, still isn't for gaming... 

Because CAD/CAM programs are so hardware intensive you'd be spending money on something that can actually handle what you dish out. I'm going to bet he wants to play BF1 on atleast high or ultra with no problems. Also like the first post mentioned Dell's workstations tend to be pretty powerful when you convert them into gaming laptops. My workstation that I use for Auto CAD/ and Geo-CAD, can handle Ashes of the singularity just as good as my desktop so there's that as well.