Psycodiver

North Carolina

Just recently got her and I got to say its not to bad, even when stock. I'm saving all my XP and Free XP to get the B hull first before anything, the speed is decent enough and the range is fine especially with how derpy these guns are. The shell travel time is pretty awful I will say, by the time they get to the max range all the target needs to do is adjust slightly and I completely miss, but they are punchy, even on cruisers I seem to get consistent penetration damage rather than over-penetrating. I'm finding it necessary to move to within 15km to reliably hit anything and I don't really like having to completely expose my broadside to fire all my guns so I end up mainly using my front guns most of the match, I did find my rear guns is useful for hitting targets on the other side of the map while I keep my bow to the threat. That said I had my first real t10 match and wow it was terrible, now of the battleships moved except for me and the enemies NC, the T9s and the single Montana on each side just stayed in place at max range going forward and backward while everyone else fought it out, seemed like those BBs did no damage and I found it very boring, the cruisers fought at max range from each other while the DDs launched walls of torpedoes at each other

That said great ship but I don't think I'll play it much because of the cancer of t10 matches, I thought t9 matches were bad in my Colorado and Nagato where 1 or 2 top tier BBs would do that point bow at enemy crap, but in battles where all the BBs do it and I can't move in to provide better support the cruisers  because I will get quickly punished, its just no fun

I'm about halfway through the grind and enjoying it for the most part.  High shell arc forces you to lead farther out with this ship than any other battleship in the game, but the 16" guns are no joke.  I've made ships like the Iowa and Izumo pay many times for showing broadside.  Dispersion is poor, especially since American battleships don't get access to main battery accuracy until the Iowa whereas the Japanese line gets it right away.  But I like the setup of the American upgrades better in the end as you can get the best of both worlds with main battery accuracy and increased AA range at tier nine and ten since they're in separate upgrade slots, whereas with the Japanese line you have to choose between them.  With both four point AA skills, the AA is disgusting.  Tier seven and eight carriers, specifically Japanese, melt before they can even get a bomb or torpedo off on you.  Not only that, but the North Carolina will be even more fun next patch when that whole line gets speed, dispersion and AA buffs.  Only other real complaint I have, aside from the dispersion, is that you have to show a fair amount of broadside to get that rear turret into the action.  Playing the Yamato you can tell how much farther that rear turret rotates and how much less you have to show of your side than in the North Carolina.

I'll be buying the ship back when 0.5.6 goes live, it's amazing on test server now that its biggest weaknesses are fixed (better dispersion and better turret arcs).

1 hour ago, Spartan96 said:

She's sitting pretty in my Home port of Wilmington , such a sexy ship.

I'm south of Raleigh and about 2 hours away, I'm looking forward to this summer because I plan to bring my son there, he'll only be 2 so it will probably be cool in a big boat kinda way for him. I lived in NJ most of my life but when I left they were just finishing the NJ as a museum ship, I haven't been up there in a while so I plan to visit her too the next time I pay my family a visit

22 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I'm south of Raleigh and about 2 hours away, I'm looking forward to this summer because I plan to bring my son there, he'll only be 2 so it will probably be cool in a big boat kinda way for him. I lived in NJ most of my life but when I left they were just finishing the NJ as a museum ship, I haven't been up there in a while so I plan to visit her too the next time I pay my family a visit

I see it every time I drive to or from the Philly airport, but have never managed to visit.  Saw Iowa last time I was in LA, though.

Yea I know they feeling, whenever you live close to something famous, you never bother vistiting lol Personally beyond those two I would also like to visit one of the South Dakotas and the USS Texas, maybe one day get out to Japan and visit the Mikasa, yea I got a serious warship fetish

On 5/19/2016 at 1:35 AM, Tedster59 said:

I'll be buying the ship back when 0.5.6 goes live, it's amazing on test server now that its biggest weaknesses are fixed (better dispersion and better turret arcs).

Any other stone rate winners from this version of the test server? (unfortunately I play probably 2-3 games a day max and use that time on the regular server)

On 5/19/2016 at 1:13 PM, Psycodiver said:

Yea I know they feeling, whenever you live close to something famous, you never bother vistiting lol Personally beyond those two I would also like to visit one of the South Dakotas and the USS Texas, maybe one day get out to Japan and visit the Mikasa, yea I got a serious warship fetish

If you ever drop by San Diego you can come visit the Midway too ;). Although with all the decades of upgrades it looks nothing like it does in the game anymore. 

I am very much looking forward the the buffs on the USN BBs especially that firing angle on the NC, that bad aft turret arc annoyed the hell out of me. 

To my NC out this morning, and the patch read very good to it. The turret angles help so much. This was the first time I was able to use the rear turret consistently through the match. Combined with the improved accuracy, it was much easier to reach up high damage numbers. 

I also noticed the improved secondary range. I had a DD t within 7km and I heard my secondaries open up on him. Before the patch i can't remember a time when my secondaries started during unless I was within spitting distance.

Before the patch i was thinking of selling it after I got the Iowa. Now I think I might keep it.  Although I have to figure out what to do with my captain's. 

I just don't like this ship and I think its mainly its guns, the shell travel time is to damn slow unless the enemy is a complete idiot, then I get plenty of hits but seeing as how I am seeing mainly tier 9 and 10 matches most players at that point have some kind of skill. If I try to move in so I can actually reliably hit something and I get lit up like the Fourth of July. So what do I do, sit at max range missing everything cause even a Kawachi can dodge my slow ass shells or move it where I can actually cause damage since the enemy can dodge my shells but get wrecked in the process? I try spreading my shots around, one salvo goes where the enemy will be in a straight line, and the other 2 salvos I fire at a place if he decides to turn either direction. Its accurate don't get me wrong and the better turret angles help a ton but when I need a calendar to measure shell travel time all the accuracy and angles mean jack shit.

I just got the North Carolina, and due to the recent module changes, I have a question on the best usage for the #4 and # 5 slots.

Slot #1:  Main Armaments Mod 1: A bunch of reductions for damage/incapacitation to the main battery

Slot #2:  Artillery Plotting Room Mod 1:  +16% to Main Battery Range, +5% to secondary range and accuracy

Slot #3:  Damage Control Mod 1: -3/-5 flooding/fire

Slot #4:  Damage Control Mod 2: -15/-15 flooding and fire recovery

Slot #5:  Concealment Mod 1:  -10% visibilty

The mod in slot #2 has buffed my stock main battery range to 24.5 km ( the second gun fire control module will give me 27k range), and I am wondering that despite the slow shell travel of AP rounds, should I have gotten the Target Spotting Acquistion Mod for slot 5 instead of the Concealment Mod?  An additional 20% to spotting would allow some early game HE spam from relative safety, versus the small reduction in visibility afforded by the other mod.

In addition, the ship turns VERY slowly, is it worth it to use the Steering Gears Mod 2 instead for the plus 20% rudder shift speed?  It should take the rudder shift from 17.3 seconds down to 13.9, which might help a bit on torp dodging.

My North Carolina is kitted out with: main armaments mod, secondaries mod, damage control 1, propulsion, and target acquisition

I think the propulsion mod is more important than some may think, as reducing the time it takes to get up to speed is important for both dodging torpedoes AND shells, and reducing your speed going into a turn then accelerating out of it helps with turning since it reduces the momentum you have going in.

I would use steering gears until you get the second hull since the rudder gets buffed with B hull then switch to the engine mod on the B hull. Handling will be still sluggish but that engine boost makes dodging torps and long range fire allot easier. Also you really don't need all that range, personally I buffed my AA but I will be switching to buffing the secondaries since I rarely see CVs but I do get allot of DDs and cruisers that get to close for comfort.

I have Rudder for #4 and concealment for #5, but #4 is a hold over from pre patch 5.7. I've been mulling over switching it to Prop upgrade for #4 since changing speeds might do as well in terms of torp dodging as steering. And the prop upgrade aligns more with the Bow-in play stay of the NC. 

Wow!  A quick shout out to all the forum members who took the time to give me their experienced opinions on how to equip the North Carolina.  All of you get all my PLUS 1's!  The sun might be setting on WoT, but with all due respect to Wargaming, they are making a solid effort to learn from the past and make WoWS a better game.  Reading the status updates from the those who were the best in WoT have me at peace with not playing tanks anymore.  Hopefully the elite from the top clans ( and the "team spirit" clans like Foxey) , will find WoWs to be a fun and worthwhile game.