Cpt_P4nda

When are extra rations usefull?

Question

Hey,

Something I've been asking me for quite a while is:

Are extra rations, like coffee etc., always usefull (in relation to the creditcosts) or only when your crew is well skilled?

For example:

I'm grinding a new crew in my M46 Patton and atm I'm at the second perk. Would it be usefull to put in some Cola or would it be just a waste of credits?

Thx for all the replies! :) 

P4nda

13 answers to this question

In my opinion: Always worth it. People already value BIA or vents and rations are double the boost. I can understand it if people don't run them on prems but on tanks like the M46 you just benefit too much from them, it's gonna make your gun that much better as you'll hit more shots and be able to leverage your DPM more.

Let's say M46.

RDzjIzB.jpg

sRywbSO.jpg

This is with rammer, vstab and vents.

L7cmZkP.jpg

KX8y4WB.jpg

This is with all that + food, no crew skill.

That is almost half a second of reload time(150DPM), .02 accuracy and 20m of view range. A lot of times, that is basically make or break. It is the difference between whether you can pull off before that E50/PTA can fire a second shot, or if you can land a second shot on that T-54 before he is hidden entirely.

M46 already has "terrible"(I don't really believe it is actual .39 and it is prolly some WG conspiracy thing there) aim-in accuracy, that 10% boost is actually going to help out a lot since this thing isn't really a frontline tank.

3 hours ago, X3N4 said:

In my opinion: Always worth it. People already value BIA or vents and rations are double the boost. I can understand it if people don't run them on prems but on tanks like the M46 you just benefit too much from them, it's gonna make your gun that much better as you'll hit more shots and be able to leverage your DPM more.

Would you recommend swapping the fire extinguisher or the med kit for food on RU meds?

I think there are 3 types of tank when it comes to rations/food:

1. Tanks that need to have it in order to be viable. This would include the M46 from @X3N4's example, and other tanks with serious flaws that can be balanced somewhat by food (the gun handling on the STB-1 being a prime example, or the DPM on the E 50/M). 
  2. Tanks where it is nice to have but not essential. This may be that it is a risk to take away a certain piece of kit, like the automatic fire extinguisher (the FV215b), or it can just include tanks that has nice stats across the board, without a glaring weakness to fix. For me, this would include RU meds. On the tier 10s, you would generally use food + vents to ensure optics are unnecessary, particularly if you have a skilled crew. However, some people prefer the jack of all trades style as opposed to the raw DPM style, and mount an auto fire ext rather than food, and optics instead of vents. You can't really go wrong with either (although I'm sure X3N4 would disagree), and it depends more on how effectively you can maintain your maximum DPM. Personally, I run optics and food on my T-62A, but in the past I have run optics and no food, and I've never really felt the gun handling or DPM drop that much.
  3. Tanks that don't need it, or shouldn't run it. Tanks that shouldn't run it are those which are prone to either ammo rack damage (i.e. need double rep kits) or repeated fires and module damage. I guess the Leo tanks at 9 and 10 would fall into the first category, although a lot of people will run food anyway and take the chance. I think the Obj. 140 also falls into the 2nd category, and a lot of players run food only because they drop a med kit and run JOAT on the commander. For tanks that don't really need it, they are those that will rarely maximise their DPM and favour survivability above all else. A Maus would fall into this category, and for me personally, I've never run food on my T110E5.. I find that the base DPM is sufficient in the kind of engagements I take it to (I ain't outreloading a med or FV anyway, and I'll beat the base reload of most other heavies, tier 9 or 10). I also prize the fire ext in case someone gets behind me, as that's the E5's only real weakness.

7 hours ago, akkupati said:

Would you recommend swapping the fire extinguisher or the med kit for food on RU meds?

If your crew is bad, put Jack of all trades on the commander and skip the medkit ( I do that on the 140). My crews are pretty good and I have full firefighting on my 62A for instance, that tank doesn't need gunnery/mobility skills so I can afford to revive my driver once.

7 hours ago, akkupati said:

On the RU-meds, I'm running food instead of the fire extinguisher. I never had problems so far - except I got shot from behind. 

On other meds, i.e. the Batchat, I'm using it instead of the med kit. 

Even if the Batchat and the T62a have the same percentage in burning, I felt that the Batchat is burning more often than RU-meds. But that's very subjective. :D

Edit: Both crews are on the 4th perk

What do you guys do for Amerifat mediums and heavies from t8 to t10 (minus M46 since it was mentioned above). My Pershing seems to get lit pretty often if I yolo in and get hit on the side. I don't recall the Fatton or the T110E5 having those issues, but I have sub 50 games in both (and they were a year ago).

(I literally have 0 clue/care about module damage and fires since I usually just play with an extinguisher/med kit/repair kit setup.)

37 minutes ago, X3N4 said:

If your crew is bad, put Jack of all trades on the commander and skip the medkit

Nice! Never thought about this option! :damn:

6 hours ago, Cpt_P4nda said:

On the RU-meds, I'm running food instead of the fire extinguisher. I never had problems so far - except I got shot from behind. 

On other meds, i.e. the Batchat, I'm using it instead of the med kit. 

Even if the Batchat and the T62a have the same percentage in burning, I felt that the Batchat is burning more often than RU-meds. But that's very subjective. :D

Edit: Both crews are on the 4th perk

The thing about RU meds is that it gets frontal fuel tank fire, so if you get shot in the front there's always a chance of fire.

So I always run AFE instead of med kit, usually it is the driver who dies so i can take that as long as i have JoAT.

16 hours ago, Megrin said:

The thing about RU meds is that it gets frontal fuel tank fire, so if you get shot in the front there's always a chance of fire.

Then I was really lucky so far! :D

I'm really happy I found this forum. On the official one it seems sometimes hard to find reliable answers - especially when it comes to details.

Thx guys! :)

I don't think you need food on any tank. I usually run a fire extinguisher on my M46. It's nice but not vital, I certainly don't think it's required to make the Patton viable.

Food is for when you need the absolute best performance out of your tanks in pubs, e.g. chasing marks, and you have the credits to spare. It's better for tanks where you either don't get set on fire much, or if you do, chances are you're not going to live anyway because you've just been flanked and will now be horrendously assfucked (for example, a T95, though why you would waste cola on that tank is beyond me). Clan wars/competitions are a little shakier because each individual game is of significant importance and you don't want to get randomly screwed by RNG in that one match even if all the others are great. Training firefighting can help alleviate this problem, particularly since food increases the effectiveness of skills.

Should i swap the fire extuinguisher with strong coffee on my amx cdc?

On 5/25/2016 at 1:44 AM, X3N4 said:

If your crew is bad, put Jack of all trades on the commander and skip the medkit ( I do that on the 140). My crews are pretty good and I have full firefighting on my 62A for instance, that tank doesn't need gunnery/mobility skills so I can afford to revive my driver once.

What's your definition of a bad crew? So should Jack of all trades go in before another skill or perk like repairs or camo? Does this apply for tanks with more than 4 crew members as well?

As far as food is concerned. I also see it as how good are you as a player or how good are you in a particular tank that you can justify the cost of bringing food. I think it would be a waste of credits if you are an average of below average player as then you need to learn a lot of the basics. Food is in a way a luxury to use as you have to replenish it after every single battle. And unless you have bought it ahead of time during a 50% sale, then it would just drain you of credits fast because you will be losing a lot more battles than lets say a unicum would, thereby offsetting the cost of food due to a higher income from wins which would be more frequent.

I'm currently on the M46 myself and I'm finding the gun handling to be quite good even without food. So far I've been hitting 84% of my shots according to the stats.