• I play arty + get a Macbook Pro

Hi all, 

I have a ~$1500 budget and need a new laptop with the following specs: 
- 15 in. screen (no more, no less) 
- Core i7 
- GTX960M 
- Still somewhat portable 
- Decent battery life 
- Doesn't look like an F117 with a keyboard (so somewhat nice looking) 

Unfortunately the last two points pretty much rule out anything from MSI/Gigabyte (personal opinion is they look terrible) and I found myself between two choices. The ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501VW or the Dell XPS 15. Both satisfy all of the above so at this point I'm having some trouble choosing. The Zenbook doesn't offer config options for a 1080p screen and Windows will take up half of the 512GB SSD ;/ But I prefer the design of the Zenbook more though. I'll probably be buying this in August. Not too sure on the mobile GPU upgrade cycle. Other laptops that also meet those specs are welcome. 

Edit: Please no "just get yourself a sick gaming desktop with that budget". Laptops pls 

Buy yourself a good gaming PC for ~$1.2k with accessories and spend the rest on a Chromebook (or HP Stream 11).

2 minutes ago, Mami_Momoe said:

Buy yourself a good gaming PC for ~$1.2k with accessories and spend the rest on a Chromebook (or HP Stream 11).

I already have a decent gaming PC. I'm moving to a different dorm soon and will probably be weaning off my desktop, hence the need for a new laptop. 

Zenbook is better.
I don't know if its just me but the Dell XPS 15 shows up as an i3 with a 530GT.

I'd say wait to see the Pascal/Polaris mobile offerings, but it doesn't seem like you have that luxury.

Why not just get a cheaper laptop, 4 or 500 dollars, and use Steam to stream from your desktop?

5 minutes ago, KenadianCSJ said:

I'd say wait to see the Pascal/Polaris mobile offerings, but it doesn't seem like you have that luxury.

Why not just get a cheaper laptop, 4 or 500 dollars, and use Steam to stream from your desktop?

Not sure I'll be able to always be near desktop with my schedule next year. 

1 hour ago, _Dia said:

Edit: Please no "just get yourself a sick gaming desktop with that budget". Laptops pls 

Just get yourself a sick gaming desktop with that budget.

35 minutes ago, _Dia said:

Not sure I'll be able to always be near desktop with my schedule next year. 

Assuming you'll be on campus, could streaming work over the school's connection? Granted it'd be over public wifi, so maybe not the best idea. Anywho, maybe look into this one.

Cause honestly, for 1500 USD, you can get more than a 960m.

3 minutes ago, KenadianCSJ said:

Assuming you'll be on campus, could streaming work over the school's connection? Granted it'd be over public wifi, so maybe not the best idea. Anywho, maybe look into this one.

Cause honestly, for 1500 USD, you can get more than a 960m.

I haven't found anything better than a 960M that also looks nice though <_> 

6 minutes ago, _Dia said:

I haven't found anything better than a 960M that also looks nice though. 

Eh, no accounting for taste, but if you're spending that much on a laptop you might as well get something worth that price.

Have you looked at any Gigabyte stuff? 

Also as an aside, you probably won't find much in the way of laptops with decent battery life with an i7 and a powerful GPU Dia.

11 minutes ago, KenadianCSJ said:

Also as an aside, you probably won't find much in the way of laptops with decent battery life with an i7 and a powerful GPU Dia.

Just get one of these and you'll be good.

mC9Izz9.jpg

Well, if you want looks, you can't go wrong with MSi, this one is within your $1,500 dollar budget along with a tasty spec:

Linky Link

Define, "Somewhat Nice Looking." 

This fits your budget and has a GTX 970M and i7 6700:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233137

If you don't need the laptop right away, I'd wait to see what GTX 1080M and GTX 1070M chips are announced in a few weeks and their release dates.

9 hours ago, jackquerudo said:

Macbook Pro

Why the fuck would he buy that? Is there a good reason to pay lots of extra cash for something with mediocre specs and shiny finish?

None of the current Macbooks use a GTX 960M anyway so a shitbook is out of the question anyway.

Dell XPS 15 upbooat. 

I love Dells sleek look, 3 year warranty and overall build quilty. Get 1080p screen, because 4K have some stutter problems (and stupid Windows scaling). 

11 hours ago, _Dia said:

- Doesn't look like an F117 with a keyboard (so somewhat nice looking) 

GBHqRXF.png

Dia like I said before you should wait for the 2016 M series of AMD and Nvidia GPU's to launch. The 1080M looks pretty spectacular; even though that's not what you want per-say; it just gives an expectation for the rest of the series. A 470M or whatever AMD is calling it looks like it could be the go to budget "performance" gpu for laptops since there's no word on the 1060 or 1050 yet :P

As far as CPU's go the Zen CPU looks promising, but I'd go with only an i5 6300HQ or higher in terms of performance on both i5 and i7. You dont need an over priced piece of shit from alienware, but having a workstation and all with Auto CAD, nothing kills it more than 5 or more chrome tabs :serb:get a good cpu pls

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/gigabyte-p25x-v2

I bought my MSI GE70 2QE last summer for $1500CAD, i7 4760, 960m, 12gb ram, 17" screen. Sure, it's not flashy, but I wanted the discrete look in case I needed to take it places. It serves me well.

600.png 

As for battery life, this is my first laptop, and have no comparison, other than my parents basic laptops from walmart, which isn't a great put up against any gaming laptop.

I showed that to him last night he doesnt like the fact that the darker black and red make it stand out. MSI laptops are generally best for what he's asking for because they tend to be lighter, but still pack a punch. So aside from that the only one i can still think of are the more expensive ASUS/Gigabyte laptops. From then on you'd just get into over priced workstations or Alienware.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/gigabyte-p25x-v2

Clevo do a good range that pack decent components without looking too tacky, I've bought many laptops from their UK retailers, but I think Sager sell them in the US.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7255-clevo-n155rd-p-8671.html

Here's the sort of thing I'm talking about. You're not really paying for F117 and red light aesthetics, which is a big advantage.

Unless alienware changed, I remember their stuff as being super gaudy, large, and lights everywhere. And way overpriced. My laptop is no larger than your everyday work laptop.