lt_lolcat

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade my graphics card?

I run wot on an older pc that has an AMD Athlon II 635 @ 2.9 ghz, 6 gb ram, and an ATI Radeon HD 5570 gpu.  It currently only plays wot at the low graphics level.  Would it make a big difference for me to get a newer gpu or is my old cpu too much of a bottleneck.  And by newer gpu, I mean a card that is $150 or less.

Here is a link to a GPU in your price range that would be a real nice upgrade.  The CPU, while not super high-end, could be overclocked a bit if you needed to stretch the legs on it some.  There are for sure others on here that have some experience with that chip that could give you some advice, but from my experience, GPU bottlenecks are usually the biggest and easiest change you can make to a system and breathe some new life into it.  Not sure what board you're running it on, but I'm sure it should be able to mount that GPU, and MSI is a good manufacturer.  Don't forget to make sure that your power supply can handle the extra workload of a beefier GPU though.

If you want better WoT graphics, cpu is everything. Literally. The only purpose the gpu really serves while playing tanks is to display it on your screen, and maybe host background processes. The card is more useful for basically every other game in existence though.

Get GPU-Z and open it to "sensors"

Open your task manager to the "performance" tab and make sure it is set to "one graph per CPU".

Monitor your GPU and CPU activity using the above while playing tanks to get a good idea of what your bottleneck actually is.

If one of your cores is maxed out, you have a CPU bottleneck (wot is single threaded for the most part). You need a better CPU first.

If your GPU is maxed out, you have a GPU bottleneck. You need a better GPU first.

If Both are nearly maxed, your system is balanced. You'll have to upgrade both to get better performance.

If neither are maxed, something else is holding you back.

EDIT:

Also, you can get a GTX 950 for about $130 and it's newer, faster, more power efficient, and runs cooler than the R7 370 linked above.

I had an AMD quad FX cpu clocked at 4.4 ghz.   I changed to an i5 4690k, clocked at 4.2 and almost doubled my FPS in tanks.  My card is an HD7950. 

Get an i5 and motherboard and 4 gigs of ram (or more if you got the cash)  But dont wast money on a videocard.

EDIT, yes, that is correct. 200Mhz slower, clock for clock, but still up to 2 times faster.  Always, at least 50% faster, just depends on how much is going on.  And, I increased my graphic settings and resolution to 1080 with a new monitor.  So again.  Intel CPU. or wait for amds new chips to drop in the fall.

If $150ish is your budget, what about upgrading both and try to increase performance overall.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8nVwr7

This would give you an upgrade of both cpu and gpu at the same time.  Just a thought.  Not an evga fan but for the money, that isn't a bad card.

@OP ignore this advice - you currently have a AM3 socket system. The CPU BigDaddyTankster recommends is a FM2(+) CPU, which doesnt fit into your system.

Also what HairlesMonkyBoy below says!

Folterknecht

11 minutes ago, BigDaddyTankster said:

Why not this?

Because the GT 740 is two thirds the price and has less than one third the performance of the GTX 950. This means that the GT 740 has less than half the performance:price ratio of the GTX 950, making it a terrible value.

If you have a tight budget and that won't change with time, it's almost always better to go with something used rather than wasting spending your money on low value hardware.

For instance, you could probably pick up a used GTX 660 or similar for about $60 or so.

Linus says it best:

No worries, was simply trying to give an example of something that he could consider given his price point...not exactly what he needed to buy.

Didn't notice the FM2, my fault.  When I was building my first system, I used parts like that an improved as my financial situation improved. Just offering a suggestion was all, clearly opinions vary.

Your money is much better served by investing in a more robust computing platform. In other words, CPU and motherboard. A quad-core processor (preferably Intel) running at 3.5Ghz minimum.

8 hours ago, HairlesMonkyBoy said:

Get GPU-Z and open it to "sensors"

Open your task manager to the "performance" tab and make sure it is set to "one graph per CPU".

Monitor your GPU and CPU activity using the above while playing tanks to get a good idea of what your bottleneck actually is.

If one of your cores is maxed out, you have a CPU bottleneck (wot is single threaded for the most part). You need a better CPU first.

If your GPU is maxed out, you have a GPU bottleneck. You need a better GPU first.

If Both are nearly maxed, your system is balanced. You'll have to upgrade both to get better performance.

If neither are maxed, something else is holding you back.

EDIT:

Also, you can get a GTX 950 for about $130 and it's newer, faster, more power efficient, and runs cooler than the R7 370 linked above.

I did what you said and it definitely looks like I could benefit from a new graphics card.  It said that my gpu was up to 98% while my cpu was around 60%.  And I don't know if it's from the new patch or from running vanilla but my fps were much higher than before- 70-100 fps on low.  Medium totally maxed out the gpu and noticeably sluggish.  I didn't even try to play that way.

11 hours ago, onlytoughonline said:

Here is a link to a GPU in your price range that would be a real nice upgrade.  The CPU, while not super high-end, could be overclocked a bit if you needed to stretch the legs on it some.  There are for sure others on here that have some experience with that chip that could give you some advice, but from my experience, GPU bottlenecks are usually the biggest and easiest change you can make to a system and breathe some new life into it.  Not sure what board you're running it on, but I'm sure it should be able to mount that GPU, and MSI is a good manufacturer.  Don't forget to make sure that your power supply can handle the extra workload of a beefier GPU though.

He may still be somewhat CPU limited.  I don't have an older AMD quad core CPU to test with.  However, the best I've been able to get with an Intel E8400 in WoT 9.15 with a factory overclocked R7 370 on the "Medium" setting at 1920x1080 is an average of 50 FPS, however the minimum FPS is still around 20 FPS.  With his quad core processor he probably will see a higher minimum FPS doe to WoT 9.15 begin able to use more than two cores now.

The R7 370 is about 4 to 5 times faster in some benchmarks for other games as the Radeon HD 5570.  So, it might help is performance in WoT and other games that run better with his CPU.  The new R7 370 It would be worth a try.  You could always pick one up from BestBuy and if it doesn't improve your game performance, you can take it back within so many days for a full refund.  Just tell them its not compatible with your computer when they ask why you are taking it back.  

Also, AMD is announcing new lower end GPUs soon so if you can wait a few weeks, you might find out that a faster video card fits in your budget.

If you are not in a hurry, I'll have some WoT 9.15 GPU benchmarks available soon.

I underclocked my i7 to 1.5 GHz and ran some benchmarks.  The i7 at 1.5 GHz still scored higher than a stock speed Athlon II X4 635.  Hopefully its close enough in performance to show if you can get a FPS increase with a newer graphics card.  Then, I ran a WoT benchmark on Medium settings with a GTX 750 ti and the first 3 minutes 30 seconds of this replay:

http://wotreplays.com/site/2713913

I got these results:

2016-05-25 22:40:17 - WorldOfTanks
Frames: 17546 - Time: 210000ms - Avg: 83.552 - Min: 55 - Max: 107

If your GPU is maxed out and your CPU isn't, there is probably room for improvement with a newer GPU.

I'll have a full WoT 9.15 benchmark article available soon with several different CPUs and many different GPUs.